• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introduction of connecting bus Stranraer station to Cairnryan ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylemore

This whole business with the port move has been a real shambles if you ask me.

Not from Stena's point of view!

They have improved their competitive position and the new arrangements are better for their main traffics - commercials, cars and coaches.

There may be a future for the Stranraer line but it will have nothing to do with the Irish traffic.

By the way the "380s" are my local trains and very comfortable with a good mix of seating and I would happily go for longer journeys on them than the 30mins I usually do, for instance I would rather do Glasgow to Derby in one than the appalling cramped cross country voyagers! The "380s" are at least the equal of anything used on similar journeys south of London that I've ever experienced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

feline1

They are, of course, not designed for international travel, but for short hops, which is what the vast majority of passengers will be doing.
Nonetheless, there is both an international airport and two ferry ports to Ireland along the line!

So it;s perhaps understandable that improving the journey time between Belfast and Brighton for foot passengers is not very high on the agenda at present!
Clearly, me wanting to do the journey from Brighton is a little extreme - but hey, I just like travelling by train :)
What I find frustrating is that, even from Brighton, it OUGHT to be perfectly possible! The train system is quite capable of it. It's just a question of TOC's running joined up connections.

You seem to be convinced that sail and rail is important. The lo cost airlines basically destroyed the market in the early noughties.
Well reducing carbon footprints is important, and climate change is destroying trainlines all round the country, as we have recently seen! :o

I believe it's called market forces.
Yes, and it's textbook stuff to know that unregulated markets screw up!

Excellent, will you now consider the Dublin route?.
Yes, I do use that route too. For my next trip, in June, I wanna go by Scotland because it's more scenic. Also, IrishFerries' catering is ghastly :lol:

The first thing to do is to recognise that the traditional rail-sea-rail market is moribund. There is no real reason for any company, whether rail or sea based to try and make any improvements in this sector, as they will simply not get a return on the investment.

Similarly, no government is going to invest money in a tiny market segment. Any monies spent will, quite rightly, be spent to benefit the most people rather than the fewest.
I'm afraid that the bottom line is that you are in a very small minority!

It's a typical practice of running a service down so nobody wants to use it any more, then claiming its "uneconomical". Beeching did it a hundred times before...

feline1

Do you perhaps mean timetables rather than tickets? As in the new version of the Irish Rail timetable (following the Europe-wide timetable change in early December) was very late being loaded into the journey planner systems used by the British-based train companies? I think I noticed that too. The people to complain to about that would be ATOC/Rail Settlement Plan, not Arriva Trains Wales.

Um, not sure what the correct terminology is, but you have to get a "mandatory seat reservation" on most SailRail legs, and Arriva told me it was going to take "at least 2 weeks" to load the Irish data onto the booking system after Irish Rail released it.
I'm not sure consumers get to complain directly to ATOC? Certainly Arriva were happy to handle the complaint for me, as it was they who would have been selling me the ticket, if they hadn't been unable to!

feline1

The timetable changes across Europe inevitably cause problems for travellers as there is always a delay in timetables being uploaded and tickets being available.

Yes, and this seemed part of the omnishambles to me! :)
Surely these booking systems have the ability to dump their data out in a batch and import it into another system? In a compatable format? Something which should take minutes, not weeks. Arriva Wales gave me the distinct impression that some hapless data entry clerks were having to manually type in the Irish rail timetable onto the UK booking system! Quite bizarre.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Irish Rail timetables haven't changed since January 2013.

that's nothing, I remember when my Ulsterbus timetable between Belfast & Downpatrick hadn't changed since 1974 :lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Nonetheless, there is both an international airport and two ferry ports to Ireland along the line!

Even so, the majority of customers will not be using the ferries or the airports. The services that connect with the ferries at Fishguard are short DMU's. Not ideal, but the fall off of passenger numbers meant that long inter city trains were simply not justified.

It's the same on the Ayr line. The stock is suited to the way it is used, regardless of international connections.

Clearly, me wanting to do the journey from Brighton is a little extreme - but hey, I just like travelling by train :)
What I find frustrating is that, even from Brighton, it OUGHT to be perfectly possible! The train system is quite capable of it. It's just a question of TOC's running joined up connections.

And it is possible, isn't it? I thought you just don't like how long it takes!

That's what I meant when I mentioned being pragmatic earlier. While I'd love to go to the Alps by train, if it's going to take me the best part of two days each way to do it, and I only have four days holiday, I'm going to have to fly, or not go at all. It's still possible, though, it just takes too long.

Well reducing carbon footprints is important, and climate change is destroying trainlines all round the country, as we have recently seen! :o

Yes, and it's textbook stuff to know that unregulated markets screw up!

I can't disagree with either of those statements, and if I had my way governments would be doing more to encourage rail and sea travel as opposed to air travel.

But the funamental fact is that like it or not, the LCC's opened up the rich person's world of air travel to the masses in ways that Freddie Laker would never have imagined in his wildest dreams. Any government that tried to tell the Ryanair and Easyjet fans that they should go back to coach, train and ferry would not be popular.

It's a typical practice of running a service down so nobody wants to use it any more, then claiming its "uneconomical". Beeching did it a hundred times before...

That certainly wasn't the case on the Fishguard to Rosslare route, though. Passenger numbers simply fell off the cliff. The changes that have been that effectively downgraded the service (relocation of Rosslare Europort station, withdrawal of HST's) all happened after and in response to the passenger slump.

From what I have read, the Stranraer ferries also lost almost all of their rail borne foot passengers as a result of competition from airlines and coach companies.

Yes, and this seemed part of the omnishambles to me! :)
Surely these booking systems have the ability to dump their data out in a batch and import it into another system? In a compatable format? Something which should take minutes, not weeks. Arriva Wales gave me the distinct impression that some hapless data entry clerks were having to manually type in the Irish rail timetable onto the UK booking system! Quite bizarre.

As I understand the way these things work, it is similar to the Uk's release of Advance tickets. This only happens when the timetable has been confirmed, and we all know how haphazard that can be.

Imagine that across dozens of country, most of which have cross border services with their immediate neighbours and it's not difficult to foresee difficulties in getting everyhting agreed. I would think that the former is the cause of delays rather than the actual act of uploading timetables.

Personally, I wouldn't think that anyone who you could speak to at ATW or any other TOC would be very familiar with the uploading process; I wouldn't be surprised if what you were told was not what actually happens!

marks87

Established Member
The last time I made the trip via the Scotch route was Xmas 2012 (tried to do it last year too but stormy winds meant the ferries were cancelled and I had to fly :lol: )... so if they're upgraded the rolling stock or/and improved the frequency of the service in the meantime, I'll be delighted!

On past journeys on the Scotch route, I typically had a wait of 40 minutes at Glasgow Central for the onward connection to Ayr, which didn't exactly suggest a "3 trains per hour" frequency, not unless they were very unevenly spaced.
"Scotch" is something you drink...

neilmc

I wouldn't dream of using rail-ship-rail to get to anywhere in Ireland, unless I happened to live in South-West Scotland or South-West Wales, which is a rather small percentage of the population.

Or unless I was into remote line bashing which I suspect even fewer people are into.

If someone builds an Irish Sea tunnel from Holyhead with through trains from Manchester I might consider it, but I'd probably still get the plane anyway.

feline1

As I understand the way these things work, it is similar to the Uk's release of Advance tickets. This only happens when the timetable has been confirmed, and we all know how haphazard that can be.

Imagine that across dozens of country, most of which have cross border services with their immediate neighbours and it's not difficult to foresee difficulties in getting everyhting agreed. I would think that the former is the cause of delays rather than the actual act of uploading timetables.

Personally, I wouldn't think that anyone who you could speak to at ATW or any other TOC would be very familiar with the uploading process; I wouldn't be surprised if what you were told was not what actually happens!

It just seemed very odd:
the *timetable* on the Irish side was confirmed,
it was just that Irish Rail won't permit you to buy a ticket more than 60 days ahead.
The minute it hit 60 days to Christmas, I could go to Irish Rail site and buy the ticket I wanted... but nationalrail.co.uk still didn't have access to it. Arriva told me it would be "at least two weeks" until anyone in the UK could sell me one of those Irish ticket legs on my SailRail.
From a purely IT perspective, I cannot for the life of me think what they were doing in those two weeks? Printing it out on punch cards and sending it across the Irish Sea tied to pigeons?

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Need a drive-through combined road and rail crossing from Stranraer to Belfast basically.....
A bridge would likely have far fewer security 'requirements' lumped on it by the airline lobby so would be the best bet.

feline1

I wouldn't dream of using rail-ship-rail to get to anywhere in Ireland, unless I happened to live in South-West Scotland or South-West Wales, which is a rather small percentage of the population.

Or unless I was into remote line bashing which I suspect even fewer people are into.

If someone builds an Irish Sea tunnel from Holyhead with through trains from Manchester I might consider it, but I'd probably still get the plane anyway.

The first time I did it, I had no other choice: I needed to get home for Xmas, and Flybe had cancelled my flight on 22Dec and had no replacement they could offer me. So on the 23Dec I got me some trains to Holyhead, sailed across the sea, and enjoyed the fine Entrprise train to Belfast. It was either that or swim :)
In the end, I really rather enjoyed the SailRail experience (far comfier that Gatwick's daft security and being squished into a tiny budget airline plane) so have done it that way every since when I could spare a day travelling.
:)
Need a drive-through combined road and rail crossing from Stranraer to Belfast basically.....
A bridge would likely have far fewer security 'requirements' lumped on it by the airline lobby so would be the best bet.

That would be cool :D
Although wouldn't a tunnel be less subject to extreme weather? Mind you, they manage OK between Copenhagen and Malmo...

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It just seemed very odd:
the *timetable* on the Irish side was confirmed,
it was just that Irish Rail won't permit you to buy a ticket more than 60 days ahead.
The minute it hit 60 days to Christmas, I could go to Irish Rail site and buy the ticket I wanted... but nationalrail.co.uk still didn't have access to it. Arriva told me it would be "at least two weeks" until anyone in the UK could sell me one of those Irish ticket legs on my SailRail.
From a purely IT perspective, I cannot for the life of me think what they were doing in those two weeks? Printing it out on punch cards and sending it across the Irish Sea tied to pigeons?

I don't know to be honest, but I don't trust the customer service people to know much about this.

Just out of interest, what's the difference in price between buying a through ticket from Brighton all the way to Belfast, and one from Brighton to Dublin then another from Dublin to Belfast? Would it be possible to do that if there is a similar delay in future?

We in SW Wales are unlucky in that we can't buy through tickets to most destinations in Ireland or Northern Ireland at all via Rosslare. We have to buy seperate tickets!

feline1

Just out of interest, what's the difference in price between buying a through ticket from Brighton all the way to Belfast, and one from Brighton to Dublin then another from Dublin to Belfast? Would it be possible to do that if there is a similar delay in future?

Well, that's a good question :)
By price alone, the difference isn't very much - combined SailRail Brighton - Belfast was only about £9 cheaper than SailRail Brighton to Dublin Port, then separate Dublin to Belfast ticket.
(NB - the cost of the shuttlebus from Dublin Port to Dublin Connolly station is not included in either method! :lol:)

BUT - consider this: Irish Ferries decide it is too stormy to sail, or they've crashed into the harbour again, or whatever, and cancel their sailings. So you have to fly instead.

At this point, you can get a full refund on your SailRail ticket, but you cannot get a refund on the separately purchased Irish Rail leg.
So, through ticketing most certainly has advantages when connections go wrong (and connections do go wrong!)

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
By price alone, the difference isn't very much - combined SailRail Brighton - Belfast was only about £9 cheaper than SailRail Brighton to Dublin Port, then separate Dublin to Belfast ticket.

Not much of a difference, but £9 is not insignifcant, especially if it's only one way!

(NB - the cost of the shuttlebus from Dublin Port to Dublin Connolly station is not included in either method! :lol:)

That is very annoying!

BUT - consider this: Irish Ferries decide it is too stormy to sail, or they've crashed into the harbour again, or whatever, and cancel their sailings. So you have to fly instead.

I must admit I've never encountered a 'big ship' cancelleation, but a few catamaran bad weather cancellations.

At this point, you can get a full refund on your SailRail ticket, but you cannot get a refund on the separately purchased Irish Rail leg.
So, through ticketing most certainly has advantages when connections go wrong (and connections do go wrong!)

I assume that Irish Rail will refund unused full fare tickets, though, like in the UK? A through ticket obviously has other advantages apart from price, though.

feline1

That is very annoying!.

The best bit is that, of course, being a bus, they only take cash in small denominations, and doggedly refuse to accept Sterling, even though their only passengers are all just coming off a ferry from the UK. There is a cash machine in ferry terminal building, but of course it only gives Euro notes, not coins, causing the driver to grumble and ask everyone if they've "nothing smaller"? :roll:
I mean in all honestly, the only place I've seen anything so retarded as regards integrated transport is Cornwall, where the boat trip to St Michael's Mount turned out to be a one way ticket ... and they only would take cash for the single fare back to land... and there was no cash machine on the island!! :D

I assume that Irish Rail will refund unused full fare tickets, though, like in the UK?

I honestly didn't know that - I just thought it was my tough luck! So I lost about £26 or sthg. (Plus having to pay AerLingus £120 to fly me as well, of course). Ho hum. :cry:

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Well, that's a good question :)

It is VERY rare that the Ulysses does not sail - that ship can sail in virtually any weather.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The best bit is that, of course, being a bus, they only take cash in small denominations, and doggedly refuse to accept Sterling, even though their only passengers are all just coming off a ferry from the UK. There is a cash machine in ferry terminal building, but of course it only gives Euro notes, not coins, causing the driver to grumble and ask everyone if they've "nothing smaller"? :roll:

Even more annoying!

That is the sort of thing that I would prefer to see tackled straight away. To me, that sort of tiny irritation is more of a disincentive to travel than long journey times.

I mean in all honestly, the only place I've seen anything so retarded as regards integrated transport is Cornwall, where the boat trip to St Michael's Mount turned out to be a one way ticket ... and they only would take cash for the single fare back to land... and there was no cash machine on the island!! :D

Off topic, but that reminds of a time my cousin had his car towed away for being illegally parked in Cornwall. He had to find a cash machine that would dispense enough cash to pay the fee, as the company would steadfastly not accept any other form of payment!

I honestly didn't know that - I just thought it was my tough luck! So I lost about £26 or sthg. (Plus having to pay AerLingus £120 to fly me as well, of course). Ho hum. :cry:

I don't know to be honest, I just suspect it would be similar to the UK and Advance tickets here.

What options did the ferry company give you whne they cancelled the sailing? When the fast ferries are cancelled you cna ge tput on to the next traditional sailing, which wouldn;t be possible if the weather was bad enough to prevent the Ulysses sailing!

But I would expect them to arrange for an alternative in those circumstances, even if you might have to wait a while.

It might also be worth contacting IE if this happens again, to see if they would be willing to arrange something too.

feline1

Even more annoying!

That is the sort of thing that I would prefer to see tackled straight away. To me, that sort of tiny irritation is more of a disincentive to travel than long journey times.

But I would expect them to arrange for an alternative in those circumstances, even if you might have to wait a while..

It is indeed annoying, and yet so ELEMENTARY - it's things like this which make me very sceptical of claims about "passenger numbers falling" etc, because they are so trivial to fix that its hard to suspect some kind of deliberate running down of one mode of transport to favour another...

IrishFerries don't have any way to contact them during cancellations - you can listen to their recorded message on the phone, or look at their website for "the latest info". Or be ignored by their unmanned twitter account. Or amuse yourself moaning with other passengers on their facebook page :)
I guess in principle I could have tried to get them to book me a hotel in Dublin (all sailing that day were cancelled, and even if they weren't, no later sailings would've let me get to Brighton that night!) but I just wanted to go home, so I bought a flight!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
IrishFerries don't have any way to contact them during cancellations - you can listen to their recorded message on the phone, or look at their website for "the latest info". Or be ignored by their unmanned twitter account. Or amuse yourself moaning with other passengers on their facebook page :)
I guess in principle I could have tried to get them to book me a hotel in Dublin (all sailing that day were cancelled, and even if they weren't, no later sailings would've let me get to Brighton that night!) but I just wanted to go home, so I bought a flight!

That all sounds very frustrating. I suppose the human beings at the terminal had disappeared?

Once when a fast ferry from Dun Laoghaire was cancelled I had the opportunity to speak to a Stena representative at their desk. They would have been more helpful if they had gone home, to be honest.

kylemore

Mmmm.... sounds like they didn't want you to go back.....there isn't an award winning pork pie factory there by any chance?:lol:

CallySleeper

Established Member
The point that Greenback and others are trying to instil, feline1, is that Stena are not catering for your business. If you choose to fly, it's really no skin of their back, as you are not in any way the majority market.

when calling them 'rubbish' I was comparing them to the other trains I'd been on for that journey. In terms of passenger comfort, they hardly compare very favourably with the carriages on Virgin trains Euston to Glasgow, with the Enterprise service Dublin to Belfast, or with the Gatwick Express on the Brighton mainline. Even Southern's bog-standard carriages on that line are better. The trains to Ayr seemed more designed for short urban hops, rather than national or international journeys between Scotland's biggest city and an airport and ferryport (where passengers will typically have several kilos of luggage).

Well done, you get the point. If Stena don't see you as the key business, ScotRail don't either. The majority of people who use this service are not in fact travelling to/from Prestwick or Cairnryan, but commuting to Glasgow for business or leisure. It is not an express intercity service, so the kinds of trains you will get will not be the likes of 390s, HSTs, etc.

but I do think these carriages are less than ideal of the route and kind of journeys.

I'm not sure you understand completely. As I said, the majority of people using this route and others on the western coast which use the same trains are those making the short journey to/from Glasgow for business or leisure. Running the line with any more luxurious trains as I think you wish would, in a word, be extravagant.

What I find exasperating is that the total SailRail time can be close to 16 hours, and about half that extra time compared to flying comes from dicking about getting between Glasgow and the ferryport, because both the road and rail links between Glasgow and the ferryport are orders of magnitude worse than the other legs.

Have you ever considered why that might be the case? The railway from London to Glasgow is a principle express line. The line from Glasgow to Ayr is not. As I said before, I'm grateful even that the journey can be completed in 50 minutes. Likewise, the road from Ayr to Cairnryan is not the M6, and over that terrain you shouldn't expect that it should be. Accept it, or fly.

Also, be grateful that a coach journey from Carlisle to Cairnryan is not an option, then I think you really would have reason to complain.

the Scotch route

The what?

Fundamentally, because it is daftly brainwrong to obliterate the rail connection to the ferry port whilst claiming you are "upgrading it" for "faster sailings"

Just to clarify, did you ever make a journey through Stranraer?

and the shambolic inability for sail and rail companies to schedule connecting services turns what should be a cheap alternative to flying (approaching 1/3rd of the price but only taking about twice as long) into something that takes 3 or 4 times as long.

I'm not sure you did. As you can see, your journey to Glasgow would take a lot longer if ferries still ran to Stranraer.

Also, it's worth commending Stena that in my view, the current timetable of a regular sailing every 4 hours, compared with an irregular timetable of 2 slower ships plus the HSS is a lot more favourable.

There is something fundamentally broken about a national transport system which means it is cheaper and quicker for me to fly to, say, Istanbul or Latvia than it is for me to get home to bloody Belfast at Xmas to see my folks.
You admitted yourself that it can be quicker to fly than get the train.

Basically: price, reliability and ludicrous security arrangements.
At Christmas, "budget" airlines are often charging close to £300 for a return trip to Belfast. I could fly someone considerably nicer that Belfast for that.
Reliability: because all their flights are full, if adverse weather, staff shortages or anything else means a flight is cancelled, you are basically screwed. I've been in the situation where, flying about 3 days before Xmas, I've already checked in for a flight only for it to come up on the display that it's "cancelled due to fog" and I then have to queue for another 90 mins to get my checked-in bags back, and then have a "Computer Says No" Flybe staff member tell me "Well, we can offer you a seat on a flight to Liverpool the day after Boxing Day"... in my experience, if a train or ferry is cancelled, there is (usually) more chance you can get on the next one, as it won't be full.

In fairness, I can sympathise with this, especially at Christmas. Though, you probably stand less chance of disruption (unfortunately) at other times of the year.

These days you have to go through all this nonsense about liquids and shoes and taking your belt off...

Do you not feel any safer that security is a lot more thorough?

All ferry passengers have to get off at Ayr, and stand around for 20 mins / half a hour until the coach arrives... we then have to stand in the carpark and spend another 20 mins slinging our bags in the boot and clambering on one at a time.

I'm not quite sure what kind of connections you've had but when ever I have made this journey, the coach has always been waiting for me when I've arrived - either in Ayr or Cairnryan. No waiting for it to arrive, no waiting to leave while everyone gets on. Easy!

A through ticket (one-way) from Brighton - Belfast via Cairnryan is £52, similarly via Holyhead costs from £52. Irish Ferries allow you on their website to include the transfer bus cost with your rail ticket.

It is incredibly rare that Stena or IF will cancel their ferry sailings (i.e. the slower ones). HSS & Swift are more susceptible to the weather.

nationalrail.co.uk still didn't have access to it.

One final tip: don't use nationalrail.co.uk for your SR bookings. Your best bet is websites such as Arriva's, ScotRail's, or even book in person at a rail station. That way, you know you're getting exactly what you ask for. You can also use the likes of Irish Ferries' website for journeys originating in Ireland if you're travelling via Dublin, although they will charge you in euro so you pay slightly more.

button_boxer

Established Member
Have you considered going via the Birkenhead to Belfast route? The tickets are slightly more expensive than going via Holyhead or Cairnryan but it might be a better option in some cases, with an overnight sailing departing Birkenhead at 22:30 getting you to Belfast first thing the next morning.

feline1

One final tip: don't use nationalrail.co.uk for your SR bookings. Your best bet is websites such as Arriva's, ScotRail's, or even book in person at a rail station. That way, you know you're getting exactly what you ask for. You can also use the likes of Irish Ferries' website for journeys originating in Ireland if you're travelling via Dublin, although they will charge you in euro so you pay slightly more.

They are all front-ends for the same backend system, as far as I could tell (or, at least, got their data from the same backend system) - as they all had the same problems.
About 3 or 4 years ago, I tried to buy in person at Brighton station and their system couldn't bring up SailRail tickets. I moaned to Southern and they fixed it and indeed basically confessed that if I hadn't brought it to their attention they'd have been unaware it was broken... but by that time (several weeks later) I'd already bought my ticket online.

I know Irish Ferries' website CLAIMS you can include the price of the connecting bus to the ferry port in your ticket, but last time I tried there was nowhere to actually click to achieve this and they could sell me the Irish train leg either arrrrrrrrrgh :lol:
Have you considered going via the Birkenhead to Belfast route? The tickets are slightly more expensive than going via Holyhead or Cairnryan but it might be a better option in some cases, with an overnight sailing departing Birkenhead at 22:30 getting you to Belfast first thing the next morning.

I did that once, when I had a transit van of analogue synths with me <D It's OK but a pretty long sailing in comparison with the other routes.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
About 3 or 4 years ago, I tried to buy in person at Brighton station and their system couldn't bring up SailRail tickets. I moaned to Southern and they fixed it and indeed basically confessed that if I hadn't brought it to their attention they'd have been unaware it was broken...

A fine example to illustrate the lack of demand for these tickets, especially in comparison with the numbers who fly to and from Ireland.

feline1

The point that Greenback and others are trying to instil, feline1, is that Stena are not catering for your business. .

The point *I* am advocating, CallySleeper, is that we need an effective national transport infrastructure, not something which makes a profit for individual operators. If market forces get their unfettered way, we just end up with ever more services concentrated in big cities, and rural hinterlands ending up as total write-offs, with no jobs, no services, no incentive for anyone to live there. Which creates a whole raft of problems of its own.
The failure to link up the new Cairnryan port to public transport (this little bus which gave birth to this thread notwithstanding) is a howling example of that. These things need proper planning at national (and international) level.
A fine example to illustrate the lack of demand for these tickets, especially in comparison with the numbers who fly to and from Ireland.

Hah! well quite. But I am an awkward bugger, and persisted in arguing with the Computer Says No guy at the ticket desk and even when I finally had to admit defeat and go home sans ticket, followed it up with a written complaint until I got 'satisfaction' :) Most people are considerably less mental than me, and wouldn't bother with all that. They'll just get a flight.
That's not because there's no "demand" for ferries.
If there was a big poster at Gatwick next to the security queues, telling people "SailRail to Ireland for £52", you'd likely get a lot of interest.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Reading all of the posts here, I do think you're somewhat blowing the security issues at airports a little out of proportion.

Any regular flyer will tell you that they're very easy to comply with once you're prepared.

Moaning about them to airport staff is frankly daft - they don't make the rules, they have to enforce them.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The point *I* am advocating, CallySleeper, is that we need an effective national transport infrastructure, not something which makes a profit for individual operators. If market forces get their unfettered way, we just end up with ever more services concentrated in big cities, and rural hinterlands ending up as total write-offs, with no jobs, no services, no incentive for anyone to live there. Which creates a whole raft of problems of its own.
The failure to link up the new Cairnryan port to public transport (this little bus which gave birth to this thread notwithstanding) is a howling example of that. These things need proper planning at national (and international) level.

I agree with you in principle. However, we do see a lot of threads where people outline their ideas for improving their own particular favourite journey, for example a through service from inverness to Hereford, so I'm sure you cna understand that your initial complaints read in a similar way.

That said, even if we had properly planned integrated transport I don't think that the foot passenger sea links to Ireland would be a priority in the present climate for reasons that have already been stated.

As CallySleeper said, in the current market it is fortunate that the facility to make the journey by rail and bus exists at all. The market is very small, and this is a result of people choosing to fly because it is cheaper, quicker and more convenient, and not because they have been forced off the ships because the service has bene deliberately run down.

I am upset because the Swansea to Cork ferry failed, despite receiving subisdies from both sides of the Irish Sea. It would be much easier for me to use such a service rather than the alternatives, but the market simply isn;t big enough to sustain that many car carrying ferries, let alone the misinscule number of foot passengers (there were a grand total of four when we used it).

That's not because there's no "demand" for ferries.

Clearly there remains some demand for ferries. But that demand is far, far less than it was even twenty years ago as regards foot passengers connecting with the ships. It is a hugely insignifcant total compared with the motoring passengers and the flyers.

If there was a big poster at Gatwick next to the security queues, telling people "SailRail to Ireland for £52", you'd likely get a lot of interest.

Until people realised how long the journey is, perhaps!

No matter how much we might personally dislike it, flying is seen as fast, modern efficient and cheap. Rail and ferry travel, at least to Ireland is not popular and can't compete with flight times, even allowing for arriving at and leaving the airport before and after the flight.

It worked in reverse with Eurostar. Flights between London, Paris and Brussels weren't downgraded to force people on to the trains. Flights were reduced after Eurostar began as passengers switched to the rails. Sadly, London to Dublin is not competitive in the same way by sea, so passengers have switched from rail and sea to the air. A lot were forced back when the ash cloud was over the UK, but as soon as the flights were back up, numbers using the trains plummeted again.

I don't like it, but it's a fact. Even for me where I am it can be quicker to fly to Ireland than to take the train and ferry now.

Status
Not open for further replies.