• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Intruders getting stabbed

Status
Not open for further replies.

strange6

Established Member
But thats what home insurance is for isnt it?

I really don't see the point in putting yourself in harms way just to save some possessions that in all likeness can be replaced. Defending yourself or your family from death or injury then fair enough, but you won't be helping your family by having a 9" blade in your chest becuase you were trying to stop someone making off with your TV.

That's my point. You don't know who's house you're in and some people in todays society would knife you for much less, believe me. So don't go burglaring or getting that drunk you don't know what you're doing. Seems clear cut advice to me

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
That's my point. You don't know who's house you're in and some people in todays society would knife you for much less, believe me. So don't go burglaring or getting that drunk you don't know what you're doing. Seems clear cut advice to me

But it's not just drunks. That's just the only case I can think of atm. FFS this really, really ****es me off: I get into an argument on a forum and I KNOW that I've read something somewhere that will back up my case if I could quote it, but I can not for the life of me remember what the details were, nor where I saw it, nor what to enter into Google in order to find it! Very frustrating! :x

strange6

Established Member
But it's not just drunks. That's just the only case I can think of atm. FFS this really, really ****es me off: I get into an argument on a forum and I KNOW that I've read something somewhere that will back up my case if I could quote it, but I can not for the life of me remember what the details were, nor where I saw it, nor what to enter into Google in order to find it! Very frustrating! :x

Don't worry about it. I find myself in that situation plenty of times :)

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Speaking as an unashamed right winger, i've certainly never resorted to insults, and on occasions where my point has been misinterpreted have always apologised and attempted to clarify matters.
I didn't mean you Kneedown. I meant those who would just prefer to bash the liberals rather than debate.
In which case, it would be an unprovoked attack, so you would be facing a charge of either assault or, depending how far you went with it, murder.
I would imagine it would be ABH as a minimum with GBH with intent most probable.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I think there is a massive difference and the average Joe should be able to tell the difference between a drunk entering the wrong house and a burglar who may have their face covered and may be coming at you with a knife.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Despite the widespread belief of most burglaries taking place at night, most home burglaries happen during the day when the occupiers are out and where it is possible to make more noise with a reduced chance of getting spotted, in addition to being able to cover the whole house.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The whole argument has been a bit pointless really. It only serves to underline the point that circumstances can vary widely, and due weight should be given to that during any investigation and prosecution.

The whole idea behind reasonable force is that it is not reasonable to shoot or stab someone who happens to be asleep on your settee!

HST Power

Established Member
Despite the widespread belief of most burglaries taking place at night, most home burglaries happen during the day when the occupiers are out and where it is possible to make more noise with a reduced chance of getting spotted, in addition to being able to cover the whole house.

That's true. And car thiefs want you to be in the house as well, because if you're in, then so are the keys. A lot of people tend to leave their car keys sitting right on the table next to the door, which isn't the greatest idea because if a thief sticks something through your letterbox grabbing the keys can be frightfully simple.

exile

Established Member
Earlier, I raised the point about the difference between burglary and middle class crimes such as fraud. If it's justifiable to kill a burglar because he's stealing your property is it also justifiable to kill a fraudster, embezzler, unscrupulous money lender,crooked businessman who's walked off with your savings, etc?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Earlier, I raised the point about the difference between burglary and middle class crimes such as fraud. If it's justifiable to kill a burglar because he's stealing your property is it also justifiable to kill a fraudster, embezzler, unscrupulous money lender,crooked businessman who's walked off with your savings, etc?

I suspect that the argument is that a burglar is a heat of the moment affair, the above can go on for years.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It can be argued that a burglar is in your home, and it's impossible to know what they will do - in those circumstances it's possible to feel threatened and act in self defence.

Finding someone who has swindled you, for example, and then killing because of it, is more of a cold blooded crime. It is diffcult to argue that such actions could be self defence!

exile

Established Member
It can be argued that a burglar is in your home, and it's impossible to know what they will do - in those circumstances it's possible to feel threatened and act in self defence.

Finding someone who has swindled you, for example, and then killing because of it, is more of a cold blooded crime. It is diffcult to argue that such actions could be self defence!

I don't think there's much controversy about heat-of-the-moment actions and self defence but there are those who think a burglar can be killed even when you're armed, he's not, and he's clearly running away and may even have left your property.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't think there's much controversy about heat-of-the-moment actions and self defence but there are those who think a burglar can be killed even when you're armed, he's not, and he's clearly running away and may even have left your property.

It's more clear in those circumstances that there is no element of self defence, and certianly no use of proportional or reasonable force.

As I say, each situation has to be and will be judged on its merits.

exile

Established Member
It's more clear in those circumstances that there is no element of self defence, and certianly no use of proportional or reasonable force.

As I say, each situation has to be and will be judged on its merits.

That's the common sense approach. Unfortunately common sense rarely intrudes into this sort of emotive debate.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Good news...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-15211250

Vincent Cooke not charged over death of alleged burglar

A man who fatally stabbed an intruder during an alleged burglary at his house in Greater Manchester will not be charged over the death.

Vincent Cooke, 39, stabbed Raymond Jacob, 37, during a struggle at his home in Bramhall on 17 September.

The courier boss was arrested on suspicion of murder following the incident and subsequently bailed.

The Crown Prosecution Service said Mr Cooke would not face any charges relating to the incident.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The police and the CPS have presumably investigated the circumstances and concluded that there is no basis for a prosecution. Perhaps this is because the vidence pointed to a violent struggle, in which case the householder could rely on self defence?

The police and the CPS have presumably investigated the circumstances and concluded that there is no basis for a prosecution. Perhaps this is because the vidence pointed to a violent struggle, in which case the householder could rely on self defence?

he stabbed someone he should be sent to prison.

not rocket science, mate.

es373

There is a legal right to act using self defence but theres a thin line between self defence and GBH/ABH. I've been there before - had a knife pulled on me but managed to sort the situation but I was taken to court over ABH but charges dropped as luckily there was a CCTV camera watching!

The law was changed that should someone break into your home and also should your life feel threatened... so if they hold a knife/gun or whatever to you... You can defend yourself and if that means you killing them (remember if your life if threatened) then its within the law!

We had a huge debate about this at karate and I was right! Someone dragged in an off the street coppa!

Geezertronic

Established Member
Not for the intruder's family. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Yet another gross miscarriage of justice.

I wonder how you would react if someone broke into your home... I fail to see what is so innocent about that? Even you describe the deceased as an intruder...

This and cases like this are a victory for the average Joe who protects their house and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.