• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inverness - Fort William

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I'm planning a little jaunt in Scotland in October for a few friends, one of whom has never been to Scotland before! We'll be travelling by train to Inverness via Edinburgh, I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of buses (assume I know nothing and you'd be near the mark) can give me some info on the bus link between Inverness and Fort William.....all I have seen is the timetable.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's a coach.. except the last time when I did it, it was a local Stagecoach coach replacement bus, which ran non-stop for pre-booked passengers only and everyone travelling to/from intermediate stops and/or wishing to pay on the day was left behind.

gazthomas

Established Member
As Yorkie says it should be a Citylink coach. I’ve have used it without issue in the opposite direction

Welshman

Established Member
I used it several years ago from Fort William to Inverness.
It was a coach. Fairly comfortable. frequent and direct. Using Fort William and Inverness bus stations[both near the railway stations].
It saves a long roundabout journey by train. What more can be said? Scottish Rover/runabout tickets used to be valid on it, but I don't know if they still are.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I'm planning a little jaunt in Scotland in October for a few friends, one of whom has never been to Scotland before! We'll be travelling by train to Inverness via Edinburgh, I'm hoping that someone with knowledge of buses (assume I know nothing and you'd be near the mark) can give me some info on the bus link between Inverness and Fort William.....all I have seen is the timetable.

Comfortable Citylink coach when I was on it.

overthewater

Established Member
It's a coach.. except the last time when I did it, it was a local Stagecoach coach replacement bus, which ran non-stop for pre-booked passengers only and everyone travelling to/from intermediate stops and/or wishing to pay on the day was left behind.

Is that legal? if it never stopped anyone then tech the service failed to operate?

Starmill

Veteran Member
What penalties apply for cancelled buses? None that I am aware of? Is there a clear contractual right to a refund if a bus service is cancelled?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
What penalties apply for cancelled buses? None that I am aware of? Is there a clear contractual right to a refund if a bus service is cancelled?
I'm not an expert on these matters, and I'm not sure if there's a clear right to a refund if a bus service doesn't run as planned, although if I had pre-booked and paid for ticket I would not be happy. I would imagine that the customer service team's response (if there is one) varies depending on the size of the operation.

Traffic commissioners can and do get quite upset if companies don't run to their published timetables and frequent violations can result in operators' licences being revoked.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The type used for the Citylink runs now should be a fairly new (67 plate) Plaxton Elite. There's 4 of them at Inverness for the 917 and 919, but as you could expect there would be times where other types substitute.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

I have to assume from that it was full up with passengers who had booked in advance. Alternatively, that was a duplicate and another bus/coach actually ran the scheduled service for intermediate passengers etc.

route101

Established Member
Always wanted to do this route , will do it when the day is longer . I thought it was a combined citylink / stagecoach route last time i looked at the timetable .

gazthomas

Established Member
I used it several years ago from Fort William to Inverness.
It was a coach. Fairly comfortable. frequent and direct. Using Fort William and Inverness bus stations[both near the railway stations].
It saves a long roundabout journey by train. What more can be said? Scottish Rover/runabout tickets used to be valid on it, but I don't know if they still are.
I don't recall a bus station in Fort William, more a row of bus stops next to the Morrisons (and parallel to the railway line)

overthewater

Established Member
Always wanted to do this route , will do it when the day is longer . I thought it was a combined citylink / stagecoach route last time i looked at the timetable .

It was and then stagecoach got rid of the service 19 and merged it with 919 last march?

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Thanks for the info about the Fort William bus, perhaps we'll try to fit in Keswick bus station on the way home if it is that good!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It is not unusual, particularly in either ski season or summer, for the Citylink coaches from FW to be fully booked, whatever they happen to be using to operate them. It is always well advised to reserve in advance if the train doesn't provide an acceptable backup option. Think of it as more NatEx/Megabus that happens to take walk-ups if there is space, not a regular walk-up bus service that happens to use a coach.

FWIW I'd pay extra for a decker on that route to enjoy the scenery.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I did it back in late summer both ways, it was a Citylink coach. Even though I was on a Spirit of Scotland pass, therefore I think covered for free, I still booked a ticket to guarantee my place onboard. I needn't have bothered since both directions were well under 50% full.

Do I dare to say that aside from the odd decent panorama, the trip wasn't half as pretty as I was expecting? In fairness it probably wasn't aided by the height of the vehicle and the slightly overcast day, but it still didn't hold a candle to say the A87 on Skye etc.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I did it back in late summer both ways, it was a Citylink coach. Even though I was on a Spirit of Scotland pass, therefore I think covered for free, I still booked a ticket to guarantee my place onboard. I needn't have bothered since both directions were well under 50% full.

Not always the case, though. The only reason I have even been on the Inverness route was that the Glasgow bus was fully booked (and this was over a week in advance). It was a Sunday and the first train is in the afternoon, if I recall correctly it's impossible to get all the way to MKC (or indeed London) from that train without an overnight stopover or use of the Sleeper. So I went Fort William-Inverness-Edinburgh-MKC, which if a bit long is quite pleasantly scenic.

overthewater

Established Member
Not always the case, though. The only reason I have even been on the Inverness route was that the Glasgow bus was fully booked (and this was over a week in advance). It was a Sunday and the first train is in the afternoon, if I recall correctly it's impossible to get all the way to MKC (or indeed London) from that train without an overnight stopover or use of the Sleeper. So I went Fort William-Inverness-Edinburgh-MKC, which if a bit long is quite pleasantly scenic.

How odd there tend to put out a dup if it extremely busy.

overthewater

Established Member
It was a Sunday, so I expect they were probably too short of staff to do so. Perhaps it was half term or something.

Scotland dont really do half terms :P again that is no reason Stagecoach knows megabus and Citylink routes can be extremely busy on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.