• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Invited to a BUPA medical/Worried about the medication I take

Status
Not open for further replies.

maisbifanas

First post.

Been offered a position for customer service staff with FCC.
Am due to go for my medical next week, but need a little help with some concerns I have regarding medication, as from what I understand this is a safety critical role.

I currently take:
- Methroxate for psoriatic arthritis (weekends only)
- Setraline for depression
- Solifenacin for overactive bladder

(I know, lots for a young lad)

Of course I am going to be open and honest regarding taking these, but how do you think it will affect my chances?

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
The fact you didnt feel the need to tell them about the medication (or health conditions)before now will probably tell them all they need to know about you!

maisbifanas

The fact you didnt feel the need to tell them about the medication (or health conditions)before now will probably tell them all they need to know about you!

Wonderful advice thank you! This was not on the application when I applied and as I said I am going to fully disclose so it isn't like I am trying to hide anything.

Last edited:

westcoaster

Established Member

Is there any need for that someone comes and asks for advice not a lecture.

westcoaster

Established Member
Wonderful advice thank you! This was not on the application when I applied and as I said I am going to fully disclose so it isn't like I am trying to hide anything.

As long as you tell them what you take and why, then I see no problem with it.

westcoaster

Established Member
This has helped settle my nerves a little cheers, massive opportunity for me at 24 and one I have genuinely been looking for.

Why not savour the moment, they will do a drugs and alcohol test at the medical, so as I said tell them what you take so there are no surprises in the sample. They may contact your doctor about your history to satisfy them selves.
Good luck and don't mind some forum members were not all bad. O and by the way contrary to common belief FCC do look after staff with medical conditions, there not all bad.

maisbifanas

Why not savour the moment, they will do a drugs and alcohol test at the medical, so as I said tell them what you take so there are no surprises in the sample. They may contact your doctor about your history to satisfy them selves.
Good luck and don't mind some forum members were not all bad. O and by the way contrary to common belief FCC do look after staff with medical conditions, there not all bad.

Oh I am savouring it for sure! It was only today I discovered this forum, and decided to have a look at some at the previous posts which prompted me to create this thread. Drugs and alcohol testing will not be a problem.

Moonshot

Established Member
Having worked for Network Rails occy health , and also just taking my PTS medical this week, I can safely say that medication is no barrier to the industry. Colour vision and hearing are the main ones for PTS reasons.....

Flamingo

Established Member

It's between the candidate & occ health, and it's up to the experts in Occ Health to decide if somebody is fit to do the job or not. That's what they are paid to do. If it's something they feel a manager needs to know, they will (with the candidates permission) tell the manager.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
First post.

Been offered a position for customer service staff with FCC.
Am due to go for my medical next week, but need a little help with some concerns I have regarding medication, as from what I understand this is a safety critical role.

I currently take:
- Methroxate for psoriatic arthritis (weekends only)
- Setraline for depression
- Solifenacin for overactive bladder

(I know, lots for a young lad)

Of c
ourse I am going to be open and honest regarding taking these, but how do you think it will affect my chances?

Cheers!
Above all, be open with them about what you are on, why you are on it, if it is working as it should, and any side effects. If they are all working, there would be no reason not to offer a job, and if they need tweaking this can be accommodated as well. I know of people on some of these (and stronger) working in Safety Critical roles, the bottom line is how you are coping with them. If you are caught lying however, you'll be nailed!

CatfordCat

All I can suggest is be honest with them when they ask questions.

Employers are now not supposed to ask too many 'health' questions at too early a stage of the application process, under disability discrimination legislation (under such legislation, a long term health condition is considered a 'disability'.) This is to stop employers just rejecting anyone with a possible disability at an early stage.

Obviously, it is still reasonable and legal for employers to ask relevant health questions once they get to the offer of employment stage, but they should make a decision based on the actual needs of the job.

If you have not so far been asked about any health conditions / medication and so on, then I don't see that you have done anything wrong in not telling them yet.

I am not well informed enough to have any idea whether the medical conditions you mention, or the medications you take could be an issue as regards either employment with FCC, or 'safety critical' status. (some medications - e.g. those that cause drowsiness - are more of an issue than the health condition that they treat)

This is something that you will, at some point, have to discuss with them and be honest about, and they may want to make enquiries with your GP. Not that I am suggesting you would, but if you were to lies when asked a question then bear in mind that could lead to summary dismissal if you get found out at some point in the future.

The 'drugs test' is a separate issue here. There are some prescription / over the counter medications which can produce a 'positive' reading (again, I have no idea whether those you mention could or not.)

When you take the test, you will be asked whether you have taken any medication in X time before the test, and if so what.

If at that stage you tell them about something, then whatever it is showing up in the test won't be a problem. If you keep quiet, then get a positive reading then try to explain it away as something legitimate, that is likely to be frowned upon.

Best of luck.

JSB

Having worked for Network Rails occy health , and also just taking my PTS medical this week, I can safely say that medication is no barrier to the industry. Colour vision and hearing are the main ones for PTS reasons.....

What employee would be subject to a PTS medical? Everyone working on the railway, like revenue protection assistants / gateline assistants / ticket office clerks? Or is it just for people working on the track, and guards etc.?

Flamingo

Established Member
What employee would be subject to a PTS medical? Everyone working on the railway, like revenue protection assistants / gateline assistants / ticket office clerks? Or is it just for people working on the track, and guards etc.?

Staff who's duties might reasonably take them onto the lineside, so Drivers, Guards, traveling fitters, shunters, depot staff, some station staff depending on location, staff training the above staff and on-call managers would be the bulk of it for a TOC.

Withnailandi

Well when I went for a medical I was on ventolin, bp tabs, omeprazole and a couple of other things. The medical examiner said it was good that I was doing something about these problems. I didn't disclose anything at application or interview as I was never asked. This is not an armed forces medical! Eyes, ears and mobility are the key. You will be fine in my opinion,

BravoGolfMike

I am amazed that there is even a suggestion that you should mention these things at interview. It is none of HR's or local managements business and they are certainly not trained or qualified to judge whether or not someone is suitable for a role because of medication XY or Z. That is why the TOCs pay a large amount of money to outside firms to conduct these medicals.

TDK

Established Member

I would at interview answer questions asked and if not asked about medication or health would not offer any information. However at the medical you must disclose any medication you are on as they ask you!

Moonshot

Established Member
Staff who's duties might reasonably take them onto the lineside, so Drivers, Guards, traveling fitters, shunters, depot staff, some station staff depending on location, staff training the above staff and on-call managers would be the bulk of it for a TOC.

And all the infrastructure people , including some who at first glance their job roles wouldnt appear to merit one such as Project Managers who may only go out trackside a few times a year.

One other one is the Air Observers - ie the guys who fly the inspection helicopter, who have a slightly different version of the medical.

As pointed out, the main issues are the hearing and the vision.....and even less than perfect doesnt stop employment though it does stop people applying for roles where being on your own is a signifcant part of the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.