• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ireland - Info Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
I've been watching the All The Stations Ireland and they have caught a train from Dublin to Cork and it's loco hauled. Which leads me to ask.
  • Are there many loco hauled services in Ireland
  • If so what routes are they?
  • Are These Diesel or Electric ?
  • What other types of traction are on Irish Railways?
  • Are there any "spotter / Enthusiast" type websites / forums (like this) out there?
  • Is spotting/haulage/enthusiast a hobby out there?
  • Are you allowed to take photos number etc. or some places ok to do it and other not allowed.
I've done a bit of a Google search and found Wiki, Irish Traction Group and the Irish Rail site has a very limited bit of info on their locos.

Any info would be good.

Thanks in advance,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elwyn

As far as I know, the only loco hauled passenger services these days are Dublin to Cork and Dublin to Belfast. Freight is also loco hauled of course.

The only electric trains are the Dublin commuter services, known as the DART which operate north as far as Malahide, South to Greystones and west to Maynooth. Pretty well everything else is diesel multiple units of one sort or another.

The RPSI is the biggest enthusiasts organisation, with bases at Whitehead (on the Belfast to Larne line) and in Dublin. See:

https://steamtrainsireland.com

Yes there are enthusiasts in Ireland but not in the same numbers as Britain. No-one objects to photos provided you choose a sensible location.

03_179

Established Member
As far as I know, the only loco hauled passenger services these days are Dublin to Cork and Dublin to Belfast. Freight is also loco hauled of course.

The only electric trains are the Dublin commuter services, known as the DART which operate north as far as Malahide, South to Greystones and west to Maynooth. Pretty well everything else is diesel multiple units of one sort or another.

The RPSI is the biggest enthusiasts organisation, with bases at Whitehead (on the Belfast to Larne line) and in Dublin. See:

https://steamtrainsireland.com

Yes there are enthusiasts in Ireland but not in the same numbers as Britain. No-one objects to photos provided you choose a sensible location.

Excellent thanks :)

Is there much freight in Ireland ?

I'll be having a look at that site and continue watch 'ATS' see if I can persuade SWMBO to do a trip over there.

The ATS are using the Irish Explorer tickets (160 euros) I'll check if BR staff get a discount on them as well, that might help.

Thanks again for the info :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
  • Are there many loco hauled services in Ireland
  • If so what routes are they?
  • Are These Diesel or Electric ?

All Belfast-Dublin "Enterprise" services - operated with Class 201 Diesels and De-Dietrich push-pull sets
Most Dublin-Cork services - Class 201 Diesels and Mk4 push-pull sets (unrelated to British Mk4s), other Dublin-Cork are Class 22000 Diesel Railcars

What other types of traction are on Irish Railways?

EMUs on the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) - Dublin's suburban rails system (these consist of the original Class 8100 and Classes 8500, 8510 and 8520 - the 8200s are stored out of use I believe)
Class 22000 InterCity Railcars (ICRs) on Dublin-Galway/Westport/Waterford/Limerick/some Cork/Tralee/most Sligo and Rosslare services (basically all the InterCity routes. Other classes of DMU operate Cork-Cobh locals services (Class 2600), the Limerick Jcn-Limerick shuttle (Class 2800), Dublin outer suburban services (non-electrified) (Class 29000 four-car suburban units), and the rural branches (all 2800s) - Manulla Jcn-Ballina, Waterford-Limerick, Limerick-Ballbrophy via Nenagh and the Limerick-Ennis-Galway Western Rail Corridor.

Class 201 and the older 071 operate the freight workings, the 201 are more expensive to run and so are generally reserved for the heavier freights.

In Northern Ireland all passenger services are DMUs - either Class 3000 (C3K) or Class 4000 (C4K), NI own two Class 201s and 3 Class 111s (same as IE 071s), the former are used on Enterprise, the latter on engineering trains.

Are there any "spotter / Enthusiast" type websites / forums (like this) out there?

Not sure, sorry

Are you allowed to take photos number etc. or some places ok to do it and other not allowed.

I believe the rules are pretty similar to here.

I've done a bit of a Google search and found Wiki, Irish Traction Group and the Irish Rail site has a very limited bit of info on their locos.

Any info would be good.

Thanks in advance,

Class 201 are 3,200hp and 100mph locos. Built 1994-95, they replaced the 071s as the main passenger loco. Many are stored out of use since the end of loco-haulage outside the Dublin-Belfast and Dublin-Cork routes in 2008-09, the remainder are mostly push-pull fitted.

Class 071 are 2,475hp and 90mph locos. Built 1976. All 18 are officially still in service. Northern Ireland Railways has three identical locos but classed 111.

Freight-wise I'm not sure if these flows are current but you had:

Containers - Ballina to Dublin Port and Ballina to Waterford, the former 201s and the latter a mix of 201s and 071s
Timber - Ballina/Westport to Waterford, mix of 201s and 071s
Zinc Ore - Tara mines near Navan to Dublin Port, 071s

03_179

Established Member
All Belfast-Dublin "Enterprise" services - operated with Class 201 Diesels and De-Dietrich push-pull sets
Most Dublin-Cork services - Class 201 Diesels and Mk4 push-pull sets (unrelated to British Mk4s), other Dublin-Cork are Class 22000 Diesel Railcars

EMUs on the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) - Dublin's suburban rails system (these consist of the original Class 8100 and Classes 8500, 8510 and 8520 - the 8200s are stored out of use I believe)
Class 22000 InterCity Railcars (ICRs) on Dublin-Galway/Westport/Waterford/Limerick/some Cork/Tralee/most Sligo and Rosslare services (basically all the InterCity routes. Other classes of DMU operate Cork-Cobh locals services (Class 2600), the Limerick Jcn-Limerick shuttle (Class 2800), Dublin outer suburban services (non-electrified) (Class 29000 four-car suburban units), and the rural branches (all 2800s) - Manulla Jcn-Ballina, Waterford-Limerick, Limerick-Ballbrophy via Nenagh and the Limerick-Ennis-Galway Western Rail Corridor.

Class 201 and the older 071 operate the freight workings, the 201 are more expensive to run and so are generally reserved for the heavier freights.

In Northern Ireland all passenger services are DMUs - either Class 3000 (C3K) or Class 4000 (C4K), NI own two Class 201s and 3 Class 111s (same as IE 071s), the former are used on Enterprise, the latter on engineering trains.

Not sure, sorry

I believe the rules are pretty similar to here.

Class 201 are 3,200hp and 100mph locos. Built 1994-95, they replaced the 071s as the main passenger loco. Many are stored out of use since the end of loco-haulage outside the Dublin-Belfast and Dublin-Cork routes in 2008-09, the remainder are mostly push-pull fitted.

Class 071 are 2,475hp and 90mph locos. Built 1976. All 18 are officially still in service. Northern Ireland Railways has three identical locos but classed 111.

Containers - Ballina to Dublin Port and Ballina to Waterford, the former 201s and the latter a mix of 201s and 071s
Timber - Ballina/Westport to Waterford, mix of 201s and 071s
Zinc Ore - Tara mines near Navan to Dublin Port, 071s
Blimmey thank you

03_179

Established Member
I will, no doubt, have questions like how do I get SWMBO to agree to doing all the trains lines? LOL

Richard Scott

Established Member
The ATS are using the Irish Explorer tickets (160 euros) I'll check if BR staff get a discount on them as well, that might help.
Depending on how long you're going for and if only doing train travel check the one country Interrail ticket as 10% discount on tickets bought before 9th April. Also valid on NIR. Can access here https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/interrail-pass-sale/one-country-pass-promotion/ireland/ - note other sites sell interrail tickets so shop around a bit to get best deal.

duesselmartin

Established Member
If your on Facebook there is an enthusiasts group called Irish Railways past and present.
I believe the Waterford to Limerick Junction line and the Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy line still has semaphore signalling.
Personally I think the Dublin to Rosslare line is most scenic
Martin

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Depending on how long you're going for and if only doing train travel check the one country Interrail ticket as 10% discount on tickets bought before 9th April. Also valid on NIR. Can access here https://www.myinterrail.co.uk/interrail-pass-sale/one-country-pass-promotion/ireland/ - note other sites sell interrail tickets so shop around a bit to get best deal.

There are some cracking deals on advance fares worth looking at if you can plan ahead. I've just bought Dublin to Rosslare single (100+ miles) for €5.99!

Shimbleshanks

The Ballina to Waterford flow has ceased but I believe Dublin-Ballina still runs

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Excellent thanks :)

Is there much freight in Ireland ?

I'll be having a look at that site and continue watch 'ATS' see if I can persuade SWMBO to do a trip over there.

Thanks again for the info :)

If you’re Railway staff (whether safeguarded or not) you can apply for a FIP coupon which will give you 8 days free travel on Irish Rail

03_179

Established Member
Thanks all.

So I looked at the CIE timetables and unlike our timetables they do not have the mileages on them. I know that Rail Mileage Engine doesn't have them. Is the a online source ?

EDIT:
NIR if possible too.

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks all.

So I looked at the CIE timetables and unlike our timetables they do not have the mileages on them. I know that Rail Mileage Engine doesn't have them. Is the a online source ?

EDIT:
NIR if possible too.

Google - "Irish Rail network statement", mileages and current permitted speeds should both be in an appendix of that document.

03_179

Established Member
Thanks for that ...

AGGGHHH Fractions I hate Fractions LOL

I'll get SWMBO to convert them to chains LOL ;)

03_179

Established Member
You're welcome, at least it's not in kilometres, that would make things interesting!

Km is easier as I can do the convert to Decimal then to chains in excel ;)

I will have a play with excel later see if I can come up with a set of formulas that will do it and make a whole Irish Spreadsheet for it.

:lol:

Thanks mate for the info

Elwyn

It’s not on-line but Johnson’s Atlas & Gazetteer of the Railways in Ireland has the main distances in miles and chains. It covers all of Ireland, including what is now the Northern Ireland Railways (NIR) network. ISBN 1-85780-044-3

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s not on-line but Johnson’s Atlas & Gazetteer of the Railways in Ireland has the main distances in miles and chains. It covers all of Ireland, including what is now the Northern Ireland Railways (NIR) network. ISBN 1-85780-044-3

There's also the excellent Irish Traction Group - Irish Railways Traction and Travel books that you can get off Amazon sometimes for a few pounds. Though I think the most recent one was 2004.

03_179

Established Member
There's also the excellent Irish Traction Group - Irish Railways Traction and Travel books that you can get off Amazon sometimes for a few pounds. Though I think the most recent one was 2004.

I've seen these now £2.00 - £5.00 approx.

That'll have mileages in it ?

I've been looking at the 'Irish Rail network statement' and it's a bit baffling the way it's laid out. I will keep looking.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've seen these now £2.00 - £5.00 approx.

That'll have mileages in it ?

I've been looking at the 'Irish Rail network statement' and it's a bit baffling the way it's laid out. I will keep looking.

They do yes, in miles and chains. The same table also lists permanent speed restrictions.

Though for the Republic it will be missing some of the newer stations, so the more up to date information in the Network Statement might be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.