• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is being a train driver all it's cracked up to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnmeric

Money aside, on a daily basis how enjoyable is the Job?

Even if you're a big introvert and like your own company, the solidarity lifestyle of the job might be difficult at times; that you're not interacting with many people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Money aside.
On daily basis how enjoyable is the Job?

For me its not 'enjoyable' It's certainly one of the better jobs I've had but to say its enjoyable would be far from the truth. It has its moments and some days are sublime for reasons beyond driving an actual train. On the flip side, it can be quite upsetting at times too.

that your not interacting with many people.

I interact with people all day. It is a big misconception that we don't.

coxxy

I love my job yes . But it's not for everyone.. yes it can be rather boring at times and can be difficult to concentrate when your getting towards the end of a 9 hour shift after being awake at 02.45.

The time off is obviously a huge bonus as well... not many places where you get a 4 day week.

For me the positives massively outweigh the negatives.

fowler9

Established Member

Even if you're a big introvert and like your own company, the solidarity lifestyle of the job might be difficult at times; that you're not interacting with many people.

I guess you meant solitary and not solidarity unless you were talking about Polish Railways. Ha ha. Try working on a call centre, I spent 8 1/2 hours today with a team of 10 people and spoke to none of them. Call after call after call. I spoke to the customers but was just doing my job. It is about as tedious and antisocial as it can get.

Last edited:
Compare it to the ticket office or information counter, and overwhelmingly the answer is yes, £50K approx per year and your personal space is your own instead of being at the capricious whims of joe public wherever your mood or headspace is at for a lot less money.

Add to that job security and strong unionisation as well as the fact that the notion that Drivers are 'special' is still residual in the industry and it's a very good gig indeed, especially when it's not essential to be a graduate either.

Mintona

Established Member
It's alright. I used to like it a lot more than I do now, I'm starting to feel a bit jaded with all the night shifts in particular (week of nights every 5 weeks at my place) and repetitive work. Looked into doing other things but not sure I'd be any good at anything else.

maccalad

Mintina, if you are not happy, there is only one person who can change that - you!

I appreciate that that may sound harsh, but I, like many police officers got jaded as a cop, so after 14 years, I looked at alternatives after believing that I could not do anything also, and I am due to be a train driver.........tests passed, recruitment complete, just waiting on a start date.

If you badly need to change, you will find something, but I suspect, as with cops, money/salary may be the issue!

TheEdge

Established Member
If you badly need to change, you will find something, but I suspect, as with cops, money/salary may be the issue!

Is exactly the problem. Jobs in the rail industry are a bit of a poisioned chalice. If you want a change it is very hard to find a job with a salary, working week or conditions that match up...

Is exactly the problem. Jobs in the rail industry are a bit of a poisioned chalice. If you want a change it is very hard to find a job with a salary, working week or conditions that match up...

Well let's all stop moaning and appreciate what we have! People seem to loose touch with reality and just how hard it is in the real world! These people need to spend 12 months outside the railway and away from the drivers desk and the comfort and warmth of the mess room, try digging holes in the road when it's raining and freezing, packing boxes in a crummy factory or crawling round a freezing cold building site at this time of the year. I can tell you now, everyone will be fighting to get back in the mess room and back in the drivers seat!
It's a great job, the best I've ever had and as for getting bored, I just think back to my old life and thank my lucky stars!!!

evoluzione

Got to say I still really love the job, I enjoy driving trains, sign on pick my docket up do my work go home, you don't see any managers if you keep your nose clean unless your due a ride out or rules are needed.

I get a lot of personal satisfaction from doing my job well day in day out especially when it all goes tits up (technical phrase) it can really test your resolve.

I have no qualifications not a single GCSE, I've just bought a brand new Audi RS3 and take 4 holidays a year, trust me it's a brilliant job.

As the old hands like to tell me "It's better than working for a living"

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member

Depends on the individual.

As a driver you will be spending long periods working alone, but the flip side of the coin is you'll be interacting with people when booking on and in the messroom, and at times during driving turns too - for example signaller, station staff, perhaps even passengers occasionally!

I'd say the bigger issue with the job is shiftwork and its consequences for lifestyle. Having to set the alarm clock for a time like 02:30 would be a rude awakening for many people, there are a good proportion of people for whom the only time they ever get up at that sort of time is to get to the airport for the annual holiday (the type of people who turn up on an early-morning train and **** off all the regulars who are trying to sleep by making a noise!). Shiftwork also can have a major effect on social life - you'll find yourself having to decline a lot of social invites, and eventually the invites stop coming because of this. However, the flip side of the coin is you get days off in the week which personally I find absolutely priceless, and most of the time can avoid peak-time travel which is also a benefit.

Lastly, the industry can be extremely political at times, and the driving grade certainly isn't immune from this. Although it's possible to try and "come in, do my turn and go home", there are still times when it's hard to avoid being sucked into depot/company politics, which can be infuriating at times.

All in all, I'd say there are far more positives than negatives, but if you're the kind of person who is likely to be adversely affected by the negatives listed above then I'd say the job may not be for you. Needless to say, on top of this, temperament is very important - the ideal person is one who is disciplined and takes safety seriously, but not to the point of being permanently uptight.

doughface

For me its not 'enjoyable' It's certainly one of the better jobs I've had but to say its enjoyable would be far from the truth. It has its moments and some days are sublime for reasons beyond driving an actual train. On the flip side, it can be quite upsetting at times too.

I would agree with this. Money aside I don't think it is all its cracked up to be. I worked in a much harder role earning about the same before but doing much more work, I actually miss that quite a bit.

Many will say it's amazing, if you don't like it leave etc etc but in that respect you can't really put money aside. It is well paid because of the strong union, if things ever change with that, which in reality it could, then terms and conditions and pay may rapidly deteriorate. If this ever happens you may then find people give a truer reflection of the actual day to day job with 'Money asde'.

Unless that happens the money and time off for low hours and easy work will always far outweigh the negatives for most people especially those with mortgages and families to provide for or those that like to buy nice things

As has been said before where else can you find such pay and conditions without the need for qualifications.

I have a degree and this pays more than the vast majority of graduate jobs outside of finance.

Dont underestimate though how difficult the job is initially, there is a lot of information to take in in a relatively short amount of time and failure during your test or making a mistake and getting taken off driving is definitely an option in which case you can join as a driver but end up as a guard or in another lesser paid role with little to no chance of ever being a driver.

Is it all its cracked up to be? Money aside, no. But asnit stands you can't really put money aside as it is intrinsically linked to the job and is one of the first things people mention or ask when they know you are a driver.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Well let's all stop moaning and appreciate what we have! People seem to loose touch with reality and just how hard it is in the real world!

That is one of the reasons why the railway can be a depressing place. Why is it not part of the 'real world' and treated like a fantasy land of rainbows and romance. It has evolved from what it was and the reality is that the 'railway' is the 'real world'

There is a wide variety of employees and just as many love the job as despise it. That is a reality. It is often raised on this forum about how we should all be grateful and how good we have it; that isn't the reality. The reality is that a larger portion of employees just treat it like any other job. There is a growing number of employees that are here just for the money.

People have a right to moan, grow cynical etc. I'm not sure, but I don't like it, that there are people that tell them to shut up and be grateful and that they aren't part of 'the real world' Because, well, that is the real world.

I'm part of the new generation of Driver so I've been in this so called 'real world' This job is one of the better but it also has some very serious negatives.

The 'best' job I've ever had was working for just over minimum wage scrubbing floors for a living. I 'enjoyed' going to work back then.

Don't get me wrong, the railway is a good place to work, it pays well and if you can stomach the shifts then its pretty decent for a home life too. As other say the positives seem to outweigh the negatives but at least they do admit to there being a downside. I think that's important for any new entrant to remember. This isn't the promised land and the grass isn't greener but its good living that's for sure.

bramling

Veteran Member
That is one of the reasons why the railway can be a depressing place. Why is it not part of the 'real world' and treated like a fantasy land of rainbows and romance. It has evolved from what it was and the reality is that the 'railway' is the 'real world'

I think part of the issue is the way people get used to things like cutaways and sitting spare, and then feeling these sorts of things are some kind of entitlement. Many people from outside the industry would find it incredible that it's even conceivable that a spare driver being paid to do 8x hours work would even consider protesting that they might have to actually drive a train, or won't get sent home early on a given day.

The other side of the coin is, of course, that those people from outside the industry probably will never in their life have had to set an alarm clock for 02:30, worse been in a job where having been forced to set the alarm clock for 02:30 a lapse of concentration due to fatigue could cause an incident which could result in major loss of life.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill, except most of the time it isn't ...

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
The other side of the coin is, of course, that those people from outside the industry probably will never in their life have had to set an alarm clock for 02:30, worse been in a job where having been forced to set the alarm clock for 02:30 a lapse of concentration due to fatigue could cause an incident which could result in major loss of life.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the hill, except most of the time it isn't ...

While we don't know the reasons behind the Croydon tram crash, the pictures in the sun the other day of another driver appearing fatigued and the comments about mess room facilities are a poignant reminder just how hard early starts are on people.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I think just as many would find it inconceivable that I only get a half hour meal break rather than an hour for lunch and 2x 15 minute breaks + fag/coffee breaks whenever you want.

I had more breaks and went home early when I worked in retail. Other than spare and a few pretty good diagrams, I work almost every hour of my day there is almost no downtime. In all my other jobs I've had breaks up the whazoo and productivity was minimal. Train driving; I'm at my limit almost daily.

theironroad

Established Member
The shift work and monotony are the hardest for me, mess rooms can be frustrating places at times but normally ok. I'm fortunate to work with a guard so really have very little passenger contact or aggro. The lack of welfare and disinterest from managers during incidents such as near misses and anti social and dangerous behaviour used to bother me more, but I now realise that they pretty much dont care about the driver as long as the train keeps moving.

Obviously the money is ok and terms and conditions not bad, the travel facilities are nice as I like to travel and the time off is good on a 4 day week. Until last year the pension was great, still being final salary but that was watered down and is now at the start of a slippery slope with it seems the unions endorsement......

Overall it's still a good job once you've adapted to its nature and realistically I'd have to take a large pay cut for more hours and days at work if I left the driving grade, but I'm also realistic that I can't see me making it to retirement age in the driving seat.

bramling

Veteran Member
I think just as many would find it inconceivable that I only get a half hour meal break rather than an hour for lunch and 2x 15 minute breaks + fag/coffee breaks whenever you want.

All fair points. Add to that have to go for long periods without being able to go to the toilet, finishing late if the job is up the wall, restrictions on alcohol consumption, having to work nights, etc.

Certainly in many office environments activities such as internet browsing and playing with mobile phones are endemic. In open-plan offices I've seen people fight to get desks like corner desks which aren't overlooked!

As I say, the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill ...

carriageline

Established Member
It's like alot of railway jobs, people only see the money and time off. But forget about the immense responsibility, sometimes huge boredom, and the biggest thing for me is the shifts. Can very easily ruin social lives and relationships. Getting up at rediculous o'clock in the morning is hard, harder for some more than others, and often when you get home your dead to the world anyway.

Then you have things like can't really drink alcohol, late nights on your days off which a lot of people struggle to come to terms with.

A lot of people I've heard say you can can earn 65-70k on the railway. Yes, you definitely can, but you sacrifice a hell of a lot to get to that stage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Johncleesefan

Having being in the job now qualified for almost a year (in training a year prior) I find I'm still possibly naive to the role. I'm still so far like I was on day one, love the job and love driving, love the pay day and the time off. I'm still learning things day in day out with this job. I find at my depot management are very approachable and transparent and this is a definite positive.

The only thing I would change at this moment is the shifts, I want permenant earlies as it suits for my young family bit that is something in waiting for

red2005

Best thing since sliced bread for me! Always seems to be a question that has a trend in terms of its answers. You tend to find that most old hands that have done it since the year dot and have never done anything else can't wait to leave.....anyone else that's been out there in the 'real world' prior to getting the job will tell you they'll never do anything else.

When I sit in the mess room and constantly hear the moaning I feel like telling them to go work on a building site hod carrying for a crap hourly wage for 10 hours in all weather's.......or driving on the roads for a living where you're stuck in traffic day in day out under pressure from the gaffers because you have a timed delivery for example.

Granted as previously stated it's not for everyone and that includes the people who already do the job.....BUT STILL NEVER LEAVE.....speaks volumes to me.

I personally love the job and in answer to your question.....YES it is exactly what it's cracked up to be.....If you have the strength of character to take the rough with the smooth.

Best job in the world for me.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All fair points. Add to that have to go for long periods without being able to go to the toilet, finishing late if the job is up the wall, restrictions on alcohol consumption, having to work nights, etc.

Certainly in many office environments activities such as internet browsing and playing with mobile phones are endemic. In open-plan offices I've seen people fight to get desks like corner desks which aren't overlooked!

As I say, the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill ...

Another part to the job that is easily rectified and an area where you have great support........If you get to a station and find you need to drop the kids off at the pool you can easily do so and you won't get any grief for it......A great misconception that you have to go long periods without going the loo.......you go when you need to end of.

I can't believe how much winging goes on! If it's not for you get out, if you don't like shifts get out, if you don't don't like it interfering with your social life get out!
I stand by what I said previously, a reality check is needed and a stint at a job that is twice as hard and far, far less paid!
It's annoying to read and listen to people go on like they are hard done to!!

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
The job is changing a lot and it is difficult not to listen to some of the more experienced hands say that it used to be better etc etc.
However I would not change it for the world, I have very good days and I have days I cant be bothered but who doesn't?
Great job and as my DTM says look after the job it will look after you..

doughface

Dont think people are whining, it was asked what they job was like money aside and some people are giving their opinions on that.

It seems to always come back to being paid well and be thankful for what you have, unfortunately it's true that many jobs are more satisfying to many people on a daily basis.

I don't see people acknowledging that as whinging

red2005

To be fair I've no problem with guys saying how good the job used to be as I'll probably be saying that very thing in years to come

HOWEVER

When they make out its like being sat on death row is when I take issue....It may not be what it was but it certainly doesn't mean it's not a great job now. End of the day we'd all like to be sat at home lottery winners but we can't......but this is definitely the only job I'd do in the place of a lottery win :)

delticdeano74

Well let's all stop moaning and appreciate what we have! People seem to loose touch with reality and just how hard it is in the real world! These people need to spend 12 months outside the railway and away from the drivers desk and the comfort and warmth of the mess room, try digging holes in the road when it's raining and freezing, packing boxes in a crummy factory or crawling round a freezing cold building site at this time of the year. I can tell you now, everyone will be fighting to get back in the mess room and back in the drivers seat!
It's a great job, the best I've ever had and as for getting bored, I just think back to my old life and thank my lucky stars!!!

Great perspective there mate. Very well put

evoluzione

And me.

Yes early starts, late finishes, huge responsibilities, fatigue etc but these are just part of the job always will be and should be accepted as such.

It was drummed into us during training to plan your life around work not the other way around and you'll find it much easier.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I can't believe how much winging goes on! If it's not for you get out, if you don't like shifts get out, if you don't don't like it interfering with your social life get out!
I stand by what I said previously, a reality check is needed and a stint at a job that is twice as hard and far, far less paid!
It's annoying to read and listen to people go on like they are hard done to!!

+1 from me, there should be a like button in here.

carriageline

Established Member
I was in the real world only 2 years ago, I must admit I was blinded by the money abit when I went for my job. I did a "real job" before I joined the railway, so I come from a position where I can seriously appreciate what I get now.

It's very good money, but it's not like it's "easy" money sometimes. Yeah, I do wish sometimes I didn't work shifts, then I could have more time with friends and family. But would I leave? No way. Why should I just put up and shut up? Frankly some of the attitudes people have are quite terrifying. A lot of people think just because we are paid good money we should "put up and shut up" (some of the posters on here clearly think the same..) Things could be massively improved, better rosters, better equipment etc etc. Whilst that may be seen as "winging" by some, it's just trying to improve what we already have.

Trust me, I love my job to bits, and can't see my self changing for a long time. But when we talk about it at work, a lot of people wouldn't do it for £8 an hour, nor when I talk to people outside who think we have it "so great", when you tell them the sacrifices they are not always so impressed!

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
I was in the real world only 2 years ago, I must admit I was blinded by the money abit when I went for my job. I did a "real job" before I joined the railway, so I come from a position where I can seriously appreciate what I get now.

It's very good money, but it's not like it's "easy" money sometimes. Yeah, I do wish sometimes I didn't work shifts, then I could have more time with friends and family. But would I leave? No way. Why should I just put up and shut up? Frankly some of the attitudes people have are quite terrifying. A lot of people think just because we are paid good money we should "put up and shut up" (some of the posters on here clearly think the same..) Things could be massively improved, better rosters, better equipment etc etc. Whilst that may be seen as "winging" by some, it's just trying to improve what we already have.

Trust me, I love my job to bits, and can't see my self changing for a long time. But when we talk about it at work, a lot of people wouldn't do it for £8 an hour, nor when I talk to people outside who think we have it "so great", when you tell them the sacrifices they are not always so impressed!

Some fair points you are making there, and the one I would say is that is where our Unions should be coming in more.
Rather than going for pay claims at every claim I would like them to start negotiating conditions back in relation to rosters so on and so forth but that is just me

Status
Not open for further replies.