• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is catering available on Scotrail HSTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Swingeing change of direction here but what catering facilities are currently being provided on long-distance workings? One of the big selling points of the HST was more storage space for for both perishable and non-perishable items, good quality fridges, the option of hot food being cooked on board whether it be flip and tip from a customer host or or possibly even basic meals prepared by a chef. I know that many of these aspirations have not necessarily been realised but as the service has in theory had a good bit of time to shake down now and there is no longer restrictions about catering on trains due to the virus I thought I would ask

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Swingeing change of direction here but what catering facilities are currently being provided on long-distance workings? One of the big selling points of the HST was more storage space for for both perishable and non-perishable items, good quality fridges, the option of hot food being cooked on board whether it be flip and tip from a customer host or or possibly even basic meals prepared by a chef. I know that many of these aspirations have not necessarily been realised but as the service has in theory had a good bit of time to shake down now and there is no longer restrictions about catering on trains due to the virus I thought I would ask
None. ScotRail have still not reintroduced catering, indeed I've seen more than one rumour that it won't return and they are just waiting for the best moment to admit it. We will see.

Deltic1961

Yeah the catering service was closed on the HST I travelled on last week. Utterly ridiculous for an expensive flagship long distance service.

Abellio obviously just can't be bothered reinstating it before the changeover.

mcmad

Yeah the catering service was closed on the HST I travelled on last week. Utterly ridiculous for an expensive flagship long distance service.

Abellio Transport Scotland obviously just can't be bothered reinstating it before the changeover.
Fixed that for you. Abellio have been making decisions for nearly 2 years now.

Deltic1961

Why would it be anything to do with Transport Scotland if Abellio are the operator and supply the staff, supplies etc?

mcmad

Why would it be anything to do with Transport Scotland if Abellio are the operator and supply the staff, supplies etc?
Because under the current emergency funding all decisions are being taken by TS. Abellio has been nothing more than a front since the decision to not extend the contract.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
If the catering hasn't returned by April it will be clear which direction to point the finger at.

It’s already clear who you point the finger at. TS as the emergency funders choose whether to fund catering or not. They have decided so far only to fund limited catering on the West Highland.

Wynd

The assertion that Scotrail represents the most grotseque under appreciation of the HST since it was introduced would be a difficult one to challenge.

The paucity of imagination, ambition, appreciation is telling. These are not 170s with an extra coach, this should not be a glorified bus service.

Unwillingness to fully exploit the HST exposes SR for what they are.

XAM2175

Established Member
These are not 170s with an extra coach, this should not be a glorified bus service.
Given they're run as part of heavily subsidised public transport operation, a glorified bus service is exactly what it is.

Or are you demanding a full-on rail cruise experience (at the same fare as today, no doubt) because it's the only thing that could possibly come close to honouring the precious HST?

philosopher

Established Member
Given they're run as part of heavily subsidised public transport operation, a glorified bus service is exactly what it is.

Or are you demanding a full-on rail cruise experience (at the same fare as today, no doubt) because it's the only thing that could possibly come close to honouring the precious HST?
In much of England, there is quite a reasonable argument for removing on train catering as most stations served by intercity or long distance regional services will be large enough to have proper catering facilities such as a station buffet or small shop.

In Scotland however you have quite a few longer journeys in excess of two hours that serve a lot of very lightly used stations that will not have any catering facilities such as those on the Far North Line. On these lines, on train catering is very much appreciated and will go a long way to making rail more appealing, helping to attract passengers.

Now you could argue buses do not have catering, which is usually true, however on longer distance routes they do usually stop at service stations or larger towns long enough to allow passenger to buy provisions. This is not the case with trains.

XAM2175

Established Member
In Scotland however you have quite a few longer journeys in excess of two hours that serve a lot of very lightly used stations that will not have any catering facilities such as those on the Far North Line. On these lines, on train catering is very much appreciated and will go a long way to making rail more appealing, helping to attract passengers.
I don't disagree. However, given the phrases like "grotseque [sic] under appreciation", "paucity of imagination, ambition, appreciation", and "unwillingness to fully exploit the HST", I'm reading Wynd's post as wanting more than just basic catering.

Stathern Jc

This is very true. Scotrail catering is an issue beyond the HST theme of this thread.

Went up to Wick yesterday, 4 1/2 hours each way, and took supplies including a good sized flask of coffee (not the hip version I have in case of a sleeper journey).
Well worth the effort, and I thought it probably would have been in normal times given the pretty average selection that can be offered / carried on a trolley on a journey of over 4 hours.

route101

Established Member
I always felt it was unnecessary on the Edinburgh Glasgow corridor anyway especially when the journey time was cut

Thanks all
I recall someone saying the catering on the E&G took in the most takings, I was rather surprised.

The buffet counter on the Scotrail HSTs never really got off the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.