• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is international travel actually necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJames

Established Member
Even just a year without international travel would be devastating globally, there is already a very deep recession about to happen, this would just make it deeper. For example on many Greek isles, a favoured destination of mine, upwards of 70% of their income comes directly from people falling off airplanes. And let's not forget that killing tourism would also deeply impact this country too.
Mine too, I look forward to returning! Thinking about it, Greece itself only really recovered from previous recessions with international tourism. It's an integral part of many economies.

I think ultimately regardless of what is practical and what isn't, the most likely thing is that we will form air bridges between other low risk countries once our cases come down considerably, as just cutting ourselves off from international travel entirely is unlikely to happen here, even if it happened in most of the rest of the world - this government's not exactly famed for taking lessons from elsewhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm quite happy spending most of my time in Blighty, but I appreciate the option to go abroad now and again.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
100 years ago it was once in a lifetime by ship. And they couldn't use Zoom.

Well , maybe there was less travel by those working in the cotton factories and the coal mines etc , let alone earning a pittance on the land , - however the great 19thC Tourism boom led by Thomas Cooke and others made Continental and even World travel for tourism a huge boost to the developing middle classes etc (as opposed to the gentry who had traditionally done the Grand Tour) - which you could argue was a massive benefit to all parties.

I do wonder though about shopping and golf trips to say Dubai - very unsustainable really. (you could go , I suppose to Gleneagles and Oxford St)

nedchester

Established Member
Well , maybe there was less travel by those working in the cotton factories and the coal mines etc , let alone earning a pittance on the land , - however the great 19thC Tourism boom led by Thomas Cooke and others made Continental and even World travel for tourism a huge boost to the developing middle classes etc (as opposed to the gentry who had traditionally done the Grand Tour) - which you could argue was a massive benefit to all parties.

I do wonder though about shopping and golf trips to say Dubai - very unsustainable really. (you could go , I suppose to Gleneagles and Oxford St)
The weather's not as good.

Skymonster

Established Member
What really worries me is that there are some folks who seem to be stupid enough to think that stopping all international travel is a good idea. If that is so, I really start to despair of people in this country. And leaving aside us going abroad for a moment, what additional devastation would that do to our incoming tourist industry? The country is on its knees economically already due to the misguided policies of this government - it doesn't need to be made any worse through the introduction of further measures that would ruin the economy.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The economy is primarily contingent on moving goods, not people.

There are parts of the economy that exist mainly to move people, but they aren't all of it or indeed even nearly all of it.

Bantamzen

Established Member
What really worries me is that there are some folks who seem to be stupid enough to think that stopping all international travel is a good idea. If that is so, I really start to despair of people in this country. And leaving aside us going abroad for a moment, what additional devastation would that do to our incoming tourist industry? The country is on its knees economically already due to the misguided policies of this government - it doesn't need to be made any worse through the introduction of further measures that would ruin the economy.

Unfortunately this seems to be a bit of a hangover from British Empire-ism. As a nation we still haven't quite got over the fact that we once ruled the waves, and that we were one of the most powerful and influential nations on the planet. Now most people, most of the time fully understand this and accept that those days are long gone, and that the world is a very different, and far more varied place. But in times of crisis, it can sometimes be easier to fall back on old positions than accept that not matter how bad things might seems, the past isn't necessarily the best place to go to find solutions for the future.

We are part of a wider world now, and no matter how bad things get that isn't going to change. Some people will continue to hide behind their net curtains, and that's up to them. But personally speaking having travelled quite a bit of this amazing planet, as well as this country, I will not accept being restricted in the future to make some little Britainers feel better about themselves.

317 forever

Established Member
I'm sick of "zoom" and "on line" personally. It's no substitute for seeing someone in person.

Indeed, an organisation I belong to have started arranging Zoom meetings, but I am not partaking at least for now. I have notified them so at least they know I am still interested in keeping in touch, just not like this.

AM9

Veteran Member
What really worries me is that there are some folks who seem to be stupid enough to think that stopping all international travel is a good idea. If that is so, I really start to despair of people in this country. And leaving aside us going abroad for a moment, what additional devastation would that do to our incoming tourist industry? ...
Actually it would benefit our tourist industry if inward and outward leisure travel was stopped. There are 2-3 times the numbers of UK residents spending their holiday money abroad than there are visitors spending it here. Of course the UK resorts would need more investment to cope with the increase in business, but in a recession, development of the infrastructure and hospitality accommodation capacity would be a surefire way of getting the nation back to work and at the same time removing some of the blight that holiday areas have suffered from in the last 50 years.
see here:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...travelandtourism/august2019provisionalresults

317 forever

Established Member
Actually it would benefit our tourist industry if inward and outward leisure travel was stopped. There are 2-3 times the numbers of UK residents spending their holiday money abroad than there are visitors spending it here. Of course the UK resorts would need more investment to cope with the increase in business, but in a recession, development of the infrastructure and hospitality accommodation capacity would be a surefire way of getting the nation back to work and at the same time removing some of the blight that holiday areas have suffered from in the last 50 years.

For domestic tourism to work, we need for public transport no longer to be so heavily discouraged.

Fortunately, although Grant Shapps has this afternoon repeated advice to avoid public transport or at least busy times for commuting, he has not touched upon leisure travel. This is refreshing progress compared to having been quite scathing about it in recent months.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Even just a year without international travel would be devastating globally, there is already a very deep recession about to happen, this would just make it deeper. For example on many Greek isles, a favoured destination of mine, upwards of 70% of their income comes directly from people falling off airplanes. And let's not forget that killing tourism would also deeply impact this country too.

There is no reason to kill of international travel, many countries have a handle on covid now & so as countries prepare air-bridges to allow some tourism this summer, these can & will be expanded as covid gets back under control. There are likely to be some countries that will be off the cards for longer, but all this "shut t'borders" is reactionary nonsense.

Furthermore, the only way humanity is going to get away from the destructive cycle of prejudice, suspicion and hatred is to interact more across borders, not less. Hell even secretive countries like Saudi Arabia & even North Korea are eyeing up possible future tourism. Mixing with other cultures helps to broaden minds, helps understanding & gives pleasure to many.

I fully agree with you. For a start, I can't see this current pandemic lasting more than 2-3 years (I even believe we can start flying internationally from Spring 2021 if everything goes well!!!), when you compare many previous pandemics. Even the Spanish Flu only took about 1-2 years! Also, especially for me, I believe it's important to discover more cultures around the world. Not only to enrich my knowledge of different cultures, but also because I get bored of staying in the UK all the time as much as I like the UK. I am partially Italian and parts of my family live in Italy. And one of my uncles is currently living in Spain! I always enjoy going to Italy and Spain, not only to see parts of my family and friends, but also to explore their cultures! Next year, should it hopefully be safe to fly long haul, I will be flying to Brazil! I am excited to go to various beaches in Rio de Janeiro, as an example!

What I would agree with others, however, is that short flights (example: London to Paris or Rome to Naples) are very unnecessary and a waste of emissions. You have Eurostar and so many high speed trains that are more comfortable and more convenient (high speed trains stop directly in the city centre). You don't need to be 2-3 hours before your train at the station unlike flying from airports. Sure, Eurostar has security and passport checks, but you can be there 30 minutes before your train departs! Oh and high speed trains are zero emissions because they are electrically powered. That's right, zero emissions.

Enthusiast

I spend quite a bit on three or four foreign holidays a year (at least one long haul). Even allowing for the savings on air fares, there is absolutely no way I would spend a similar amount on holidays in the UK. The UK is simply not set up to provide the sort of holidays I like.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
With a few billion pounds and a free hand I could build an Olympic grade ski resort in the Nevis Range.

But it would take at least one nuclear power reactor.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
With a few billion pounds and a free hand I could build an Olympic grade ski resort in the Nevis Range.

But it would take at least one nuclear power reactor.

There are ski resorts in Scotland, e.g. Glenshee, though the bittiness of the season would mean that it would be well advisable to also consider the possibility of it being a winter hillwalking holiday instead.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
There are ski resorts in Scotland, e.g. Glenshee, though the bittiness of the season would mean that it would be well advisable to also consider the possibility of it being a winter hillwalking holiday instead.

They certainly arent olympic standard given their lack of reliable snow.

But temperatures atop Aonach Mor are cold enough for substantial portion of the year to support a giant snowmaking operation with the worlds largest battery of snow cannon.

Run the cannon whenever it is cold enough and you can push the snow down the mountain as required.

route101

Established Member
I had no plans to go abroad this year , still hopeful of a UK break though in the summer.

P Binnersley

14% of the UK population (9 million people) were born overseas and will presumably want/need to visit their family. A probably similar number of British Ex-Pats will want to visit the UK. Add in half a million overseas students at UK significant. That will be a significant demand.

Tourism helps fill flights and keep prices down and keeps routes that would otherwise be uneconomic open.

Visiting a foreign country gives you an insight into their culture and history that the News and TV documentaries can only scratch the surface. I am lucky enough to have been to several countries and it has opened my eyes. People are almost unfailingly welcoming and helpful. Even when you struggle with the language.

I don't believe that experience should be denied to those who want to take it.

Butts

Veteran Member
Unless they reduce the price of Cigarettes in the UK to that of Luxembourg we definitely need to retain Airlinks between the UK and Europe.

Have a couple of months supply left from my March trip so looking and hoping August for my next jaunt.

Will probably book on BA shortly as they have fares from about £70 odd each way - EDI-LHR-LUX and you can cancel without penalty at the moment.

nlogax

Established Member
Is it necessary? Probably not. But I am intending on flying somewhere further than 2 hours away this year even if it kills me. (pun unintended)

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
For me international travel is not necessary for the rest of the year. Luckily, I'd already had 2 foreign holidays pre Covid. I've lost a third, but have booked a cottage near Barnard Castle instead for a week in October. Personally, I can't be bothered with the faff of air travel for the rest of this year.

However, there are plenty of people who work in this country who weren't born here. For them, international travel is still necessary to see family and friends, who they may need to see more than ever right now.

Bookd

Or you don't reopen the borders.

Do we need international travel? You need to move goods, but do you need to move people?

Travel broadens the mind and is enjoyable, but it would strike me that until a vaccine is available it would be best simply to stop it entirely, and close the airlines down cleanly for now. Lorries could be moved like they always used to be - shunted onto a ship and off, and taken onwards by a domestic contractor. Air crew need not leave the aircraft while it is being unloaded.

Once a vaccine is available, assuming it is, it could become compulsory to travel in the manner of Yellow Fever.

New Zealand must need it even less than us - they're miles from any other country.

Perhaps the airlines could be closed down cleanly, with Governments providing some money to enable them to refund all passengers and pay the staff the due redundancy money, then restart it all in a few years when it's workable?
When HIV was discovered in 1984 a vaccine was promised by the following year and it is still awaited 35 years later.
if we as it for a Covid vaccine we could be locked down for the rest of my life and long after.

Jayden99

When HIV was discovered in 1984 a vaccine was promised by the following year and it is still awaited 35 years later.
if we as it for a Covid vaccine we could be locked down for the rest of my life and long after.
But we do now have an effective treatment that means that people (like myself) can live a long and productive life, without symptoms. A treatment that means people aren't consigned to an ICU bed for 2 weeks fighting for their lives would be the other 'golden ticket' if you like, for removing restrictions

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But we do now have an effective treatment that means that people (like myself) can live a long and productive life, without symptoms. A treatment that means people aren't consigned to an ICU bed for 2 weeks fighting for their lives would be the other 'golden ticket' if you like, for removing restrictions

Though that treatment also took a long time.

That said, I think a COVID treatment that will reduce the death levels to a bad winter flu (which would be enough to totally abolish distancing, as we don't distance for that) is likely to be along much sooner than a vaccine - lots of existing drugs are being tried as combination therapies with a fair bit of success, I believe.

HSTEd

Veteran Member

That still took a decade or more to work.
Despite the colossal resources that were expended.

Jayden99

That still took a decade or more to work.
Despite the colossal resources that were expended.
Absolutely I know, something along the lines of 12-13 years IIRC. But as @Bletchleyite was getting at above, we're already seeing success with various combinations of pre-existing drugs, hopefully using information we learned from SARS and other coronaviruses. I was more suggesting that even if we can't prevent the spread of COVID with a vaccine, we'll have as good as done the same with an effective treatment. Anyway, back on topic, don't want to get the red writing

Richard Scott

Established Member
Do we need foreign holidays, no. Are they desirable - yes! I enjoy going abroad, I enjoy other cultures I even enjoy trying out a new language (maybe not that successfully sometimes) and it makes me appreciate living in the UK!! When people moan about our railway system can relay lots of horror stories from abroad, when they say how their roads are better can quell that myth too.
Many may be quite happy staying in the UK and I love travelling in the UK but also enjoy going abroad for reasons stated above. We're all getting older - if we stop foreign travel for 5 years may not be a big issue to some of us but my 76 year old mother would like to continue to travel abroad while she still can. Will she be capable in 5 years time and will she get insurance? Please think a little and be a little more sensitive to others before making sweeping statements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.