• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it time to bring back steam again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well Tornado was

Because it was in the right place at the right time, in steam already manned. I will quote myself and I would like an answer to my question this time:

Myself said:
A steam rescue locomotive would have to be kept fired up all day on the off chance that it is needed to rescue something, that means wasting fuel and paying people to keep an eye on it. A diesel rescue locomotive can be parked up in a siding, the engine turned off, its driver deployed onto other duties and if it is required someone sent out pushes a button to start and away it goes. Which is the better option?

You have answered your own question. Interest in keeping steam on the mainline, don't see any interest in keeping many Class 33's mainline.

How does this even further your argument that steam should be re-introduced anyway, arguing about why more steam (and I'm not sure that's true) made it into mainline preservation than diesel.

That's just one example! There are loads.

By all means list them then we can go and tell every train operator in the world that they have been making a mistake for the last 60+ years and diesel was a bad idea.

Im pretty sure there would be!

Who?

SussexSpotter

Why, haven't they got any steam?

Well there's always room for more! What with the East Grinstead and Ardingly extension. They are a very profitable business as well and one of the biggest tourist attractions in Sussex. People flock during the Summer to experience the power of steam haulage. Swanage is another example as well but that's in Dorset and the MHR in Hampshire which opperate steam loco's fit for ' MAINLINE' use!

Most heritage diesel railways always look run down and tatty! Why? Well why do you think?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Well there's always room for more! What with the East Grinstead and Ardingly extension. They are a very profitable business as well and one of the biggest tourist attractions in Sussex. People flock during the Summer to experience the power of steam haulage.

Most heritage diesel railways always look run down and tatty! Why? Well why do you think?

cos preservation isnt as focused on diesels as they are on steam trains because kettles are more popular with the public..... if you got to disel focussed railway the disels there are in fine condition

Fred26

Well there's always room for more! What with the East Grinstead and Ardingly extension. They are a very profitable business as well and one of the biggest tourist attractions in Sussex. People flock during the Summer to experience the power of steam haulage.

So, hang on, let me get this straight. You want to run steam trains all over the southern region through the winter and then in the summer move all of those locos to a little heritage line (I say 'a' because you've mentioned but one)?
I'm actually laughing now.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
So, hang on, let me get this straight. You want to run steam trains all over the southern region through the winter and then in the summer move all of those locos to a little heritage line (I say 'a' because you've mentioned but one)?

i think quite a few people are including myself

SussexSpotter

No your barking up the wrong tree there, I was asked whether anyone would be interested in the steam loco's if they were to be sold, in comparison to the diesel which quite frankly not many are interested in, steam is far more popular.

Established Member
I disagree with all of what you have said there! Mainline steam loco's have outlived most heritage loco's and they are far older, look at the Class 60 fleet most of them are in store now or at the scrap yard, they are about 2 decades old. This disproves everything you have said about diesel being more reliable. Oh and even some 66's are in store now!

The 66s are in store because there has been a reduction in railfreight. They have been stored such that they can be brought back into service when demand increases again.

At least you can see a mainline steam loco (quite a few actually), but most heritage diesel traction you can only see on private railways or at a scrap yard.

What, apart from all the diesel hauled railtours that you get on the mainline?

It wouldn't affect the charter market in the slightest. There are very few charters down South compared to up North so this would be tapping into a Niche market.

There's probably few charters there for a reason. If the market was there, someone would be running them already.

Well Tornado was

Tornado was used to pick up people because it was in the right place at the right time completely by chance running a charter. It did not rescue the stuck unit, it picked up the passengers from it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No your barking up the wrong tree there, I was asked whether anyone would be interested in the steam loco's if they were to be sold

If there was, someone would be making them to sell in this country. There clearly isn't as they would be little, if any, use whatsoever, and more likely a drain on resources.

What do you really think the market for modern day kettles is?

in comparison to the diesel which quite frankly not many are interested in, steam is far more popular.

So why haven't the preserved railways that are mostly diesel all gone bust if there's no interest or demand?

Last edited:

Fred26

No your barking up the wrong tree there, I was asked whether anyone would be interested in the steam loco's if they were to be sold, in comparison to the diesel which quite frankly not many are interested in, steam is far more popular.

Alright, well see some facts and figures then. How many locos are do you want to build?

SussexSpotter

The 66s are in store because there has been a reduction in railfreight. They have been stored such that they can be brought back into service when demand increases again.

Probably because of the cost and reliablity of the freight opperators and their loco's. I don't see the road haulage company's struggling in the economic downturn!

What, apart from all the diesel hauled railtours that you get on the mainline?

Far more types of mainline steam loco than Mainline heritage diesel traction! Clan Line is out on the VSOE via Guildford on a regular basis.

There's probably few charters there for a reason. If the market was there, someone would be running them already.

What big towns/cities like Brighton, Hastings, Eastbourne, Worthing, Chichester, Portsmouth etc. with major events and tourism? Think there's a market to tap into there. Takes one to start a trend!

Tornado was used to pick up people because it was in the right place at the right time completely by chance running a charter. It did not rescue the stuck unit, it picked up the passengers from it.

But they could have said ''Oh no it's not reliable so we won't use it as a rescue loco, call in another 375''!

If there was, someone would be making them to sell in this country. There clearly isn't as they would be little, if any, use whatsoever, and more likely a drain on resources.

What do you really think the market for modern day kettles is?

Well what did they do with Tornado then? That was built and sold in this country just over 2 years ago.

Seen any diesel loco's built recently in this country and sold recently? NO!

So why haven't the preserved railways that are mostly diesel all gone bust if there's no interest or demand?

Im suprised they havn't, give it time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Probably because of the cost and reliablity of the freight opperators and their loco's. I don't see the road haulage company's struggling in the economic downturn!

It's got sod all to do with reliability. Less stuff is being moved around, so less locos are needed just now. It's really not a difficult concept to get your head around.
AFAIK, the road haulage industry has suffered during the economic downturn, it just wasn't as noticable.

Far more types of mainline steam loco than Mainline heritage diesel traction! Clan Line is out on the VSOE via Guildford on a regular basis.

IIRC, the majority of mainline registered preserved locomotives are diesels, not kettles.

What big towns/cities like Brighton, Hastings, Eastbourne, Worthing, Chichester, Portsmouth etc. with major events and tourism? Think there's a market to tap into there. Takes one to start a trend!

If you can come up with a reasonable business plan for one, I'll be convinced. Currently, I'm not.

But they could have said ''Oh no it's not reliable so we won't use it as a rescue loco, call in another 375''!

They didn't use it as a rescue loco!!
They used it to take passengers, the unit was left where it was.

Well what did they do with Tornado then? That was built and sold in this country just over 2 years ago.

Tornado took 14 years to build and was a massive engineering project, it also wasn't sold to anyone, but is owned by the A1 steam locomotive trust.

Seen any diesel loco's built recently in this country and sold recently? NO!

No, but that's because we use MUs rather than LHCS now. The most recent locomotives however, are the 67s which were built between 1999 and 2000. However we don't build much in this country any more so it's not relevant where the trains are built in this case.
The most recent trains are the 378s which are mostly in service now I think, the 172s which have a few in service so far and the 380s, I believe the first ones have just gone into service in the past few days(?)

As pointed out by jimmyowl1992, there is the class 70s too, of which the first few were in service as of last year.

Im suprised they havn't, give it time!

So the ones that have been going successfully for years then? Are they all anomalies or something?

Last edited:

Via Bank

*sigh* *puts on bean counter's hat*

Steam engines are simply not cost or energy-efficient. You argue that electricity tends to come from coal-fired power stations anyway - of course, this is true. However, assuming we all entered your fairytale world of steam traction during the winter, you'd have to build the new locos, bring them out of storage, distribute copious amounts of coal amongst them, keep them idling (and nomming fuel) all day, on the off-chance that a train fails within its range, scramble it, couple it to your unit, ensure the electrical connections and HEP are working, bring your train to the next station and terminate it and then return it to base - when, no doubt, the hungry loco would need watering and fuelling.

And, of course, where would all these kettles go over the summer? You say heritage railways, but I strongly doubt this: the Watercress Line, for example, is a four-station branch from the Alton line, limited to 24mph (where the locos you propose would be seriously wasted) which is mostly single-track and has (I think) 0.5-1tph during normal service.

Considering that this example serves a few small villages in the middle of Hampshire, the only viable market for a regular service is possibly during peak hours, when through services to and from Waterloo might attract a small market. However, for what? Even if you used a single DMU, your profit margins would still be extremely low. Using a steam loco would be out of the question.

The same goes for the Bluebell Railway, and even on the Great Central, trains can only run at 50mph - is it really worth building brand new steam locos just for this, and for hauling electrics in winter on the off-chance they fail? Why not use some of the in-storage 66s?

Really, it's a few days of inconvenience and occasional Blitz spirit - snow strands some trains for a few days in third-rail regions, but everything returns to normal within a week or two. Steam locos are romantic and pretty, but they haemmorage money and can not be made more energy-efficient without pure magic. Burning coal to heat water to push against pistons to turn some wheels is far less efficient than using electricity to turn some wheels.

ChampsRacing

Im sorry but it just wouldnt work. I love steam trains, but working as a guard with southwest trains, i would like to see a steam train be able to brake as late as electric, get in and out of the station within 1 minute, and be able to get to most stations on suburban routes within 2 minutes of eachother. Also i was on Tornado last year when we picked up passengers. Yes it was great that them lucky people got home but it was just coisidence, if tornado wasnt there it wouldnt of saved hundreds of people getting home let alone thousands, it picked up 30 people. For waterloo for example. Clapham Yard is practically full with stock so where would the spare steam trains be? Or if u wanted to re-open nine elms you would have to flatten the very busy nine elms market? You would have to resignall nine elms junction relay more track points etc the cost just goes up and up and up. Its a lovely idea in a book, but not in the real world.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I wonder if the chap starting this thread has any first hand experience of steam traction?

It can be entertaining stopping the infrastructure freezing up this time of year, water columns and the like. Frost can damage the locos themselves as well. Oh, and it's really nice climbing up on the back of a tender when it's icy!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It's perhaps worth pointing out that in the video linked at the start of this thread, the chaps digging the snow off the lines are digging through days worth of accumulation.

As in, those lines had clearly shut for days whilst the snow fell, and then they sent out gangs to clear them.

sprinterguy

Established Member
This has to be one of the most insane threads I've ever seen!

Agreed! I thought it started off in a light hearted fashion, but has clearly descended into madness. I wish I'd been logged in last night, I've missed all the fun now!

In no way is it cost effective to build and maintain a fleet of steam locos for operation for two weeks of the year, and then have them spend the other eleven months chugging around preserved lines on occasional weekends.

And stored class 60s and 66s proves nothing other than a downturn in the railfreight market. If I were to use SteamBuffer100s’ skewed argument, then clearly diesel is more reliable than steam purely because a massive fleet of over two hundred 9Fs was withdrawn after less than a decade in service. To the ignorance of all the actual valid reasons that diesel traction is of course more reliable and cost effective than steam, as stated above by many others.
:roll:

SussexSpotter

Agreed! I thought it started off in a light hearted fashion, but has clearly descended into madness. I wish I'd been logged in last night, I've missed all the fun now!

In no way is it cost effective to build and maintain a fleet of steam locos for operation for two weeks of the year, and then have them spend the other eleven months chugging around preserved lines on occasional weekends.

And stored class 60s and 66s proves nothing other than a downturn in the railfreight market. If I were to use SteamBuffer100s’ skewed argument, then clearly diesel is more reliable than steam purely because a massive fleet of over two hundred 9Fs was withdrawn after less than a decade in service. To the ignorance of all the actual valid reasons that diesel traction is of course more reliable and cost effective than steam, as stated above by many others.
:roll:

Morning folks!

Regardless of what you say, nothing can ever beat steam in my mind! This is just my opinion though. Ok so maybe I was wrong about the freight company's and their loco's, they have invested in new diesel loco's but only because the original heritage loco's were so unreliable.

I have also explained all the things these steam loco's could be doing on the other few weeks of the year. They wouldn't just be sitting at the bluebell railway unless they needed to be sold or hired out. There is still a case here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Morning!

No there is not. You could prove us all wrong by buying or building a fleet of steam engines to hire out, but I would advise against it unless you are able to take a huge financial risk!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Morning folks!

Regardless of what you say, nothing can every beat steam in my mind! This is just my opinion though. Ok so maybe I was wrong about the freight company's and their loco's, they have invested in new diesel loco's but only because the original heritage loco's were so unreliable.

I have also explained all the things these steam loco's could be doing on the other few weeks of the year. They wouldn't just be sitting at the bluebell railway unless they needed to be sold or hired out. There is still a case here!

Well, I must congratulate you on initiating a truly impassioned, entertaining debate at any rate. :D

The 66s are more reliable than the “older heritage locos” they replaced, but the older locos were in turn more reliable, efficient and cost effective than the steam locos they replaced (Though it’s a shame that newer steam locos were withdrawn with such haste): The 37s and 47s replaced by new locos in the last decade were 35-40 years old, which is a perfectly acceptable life span for a diesel loco, and it’s perfectly reasonable to assume that reliability would have deteriorated by that point.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Doesn't the fact that no one else has seized upon this as a way to make money rather suggest that you would be throwing your winnings away?!

Fred26

Morning folks!

Regardless of what you say, nothing can every beat steam in my mind! This is just my opinion though. Ok so maybe I was wrong about the freight company's and their loco's, they have invested in new diesel loco's but only because the original heritage loco's were so unreliable.

There isn't. There would never be enough bit-part work for these locos to be doing when not on their winter duties.
How many do you want to build, by the way?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There isn't. There would never be enough bit-part work for these locos to be doing when not on their winter duties.
How many do you want to build, by the way?

Detail, as you might find in a well thought out business plan, appears to be sadly lacking.

However, this is almost made up for in passion and determination (at least in terms of thread contributions!)

Status
Not open for further replies.