• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is our mail service failing us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulo

Is Britains mail service failing us as consumers? Though the postal service were well within their rights to go on strike I feel that it is not just the management that is failing us but in some cases the workers themselves, on several occassions I have had packages lost or broken and in some cases the postman cant be bothered to knock with a package so just pokes a card through!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Last year I had over 2000 items of post
At least 30 were lost or not delivered
A further 30 were also damaged or the contents removed

This year didn't start much better with 30 claims in the first 3 months
As a result I now collect my post on a daily basis, but there has not been much of an improvement

Although most of the claims were settled, I do not know how many items were sent First Class and were "late"

I send all my business postal items either by Second Class RECORDED or Special Delivery
I also ask people sending me postal items to do the same, if they do not then I do not accept liability if the item does not arrive a claim has to be raised for late or lost postal items

paulo

Not too long ago postal fees were revised, ending in us paying more according to size and weight, it seems though we now pay a ridiculous amount in postal fees the service has far from improved and as previously mentioned half the time we end up picking up our own mail/parcels!

rail-britain

Established Member
Some postal charges are less now
I also carried out a little research and sent several letters to myself from various locations across the UK, one by First Class the other by Second Class
In most cases the Second Class letter arrived the day after the First Class, however some also arrived at the same time, and in two cases the Second Class arrived BEFORE the First Class
As a result I now send all letters by Second Class!

Tom B

Established Member
A packet was posted to me (about 2 miles away from the sorting office at Sighthill) at a post office in Doncaster (about a mile away from the sorting office at Middlebank), over a week ago, and still hasn't arrived.

If you ring up RM, they just tell you "it's because of the strike" - er yes, but the strike is Royal Mail's problem, not the customers, and it's up to RM to sort it, not the customers to post less! They evidently *don't* care about the fact that your important mail is being held up because of their failings.

paulo

I fear things are to get a whole lot worse with the closure of smaller local post offices. it was a great shame to see the demise of the mail train. To be honest it just about sums most issues in this country up, we are expected to pay more and get less.

D306

Established Member
The Amazon UK Depot is about 20 miles from where I live (It's at ridgemont) and I think it should be at my door within 3 days.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My sister recently moved house and bought redirection from Royal Mail, and they've been redirecting mail from both the new occupant and the occupant before her. The problem is, she's been recieving minimal post, so I think something wrong has gone on somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.