• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the All Line Rover being increased?

Jan Mayen

Just wondering if the All Line Rover is being increased on 3 March, and if so can I buy it in advance of travel? I shall be buying the 1st class, 7 day version with Senior Railcard discount.
Start date likely to be 9 or 10 March.

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Historically Rovers normally increase in May. No idea what will happen this year.

Rover

Last year it increased on the 5th of March so it's likely it will go up on the 3rd March but it may not.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So, can the ALR product be bought in advance, if so, just how long before the start of its validity period?

edgar13

The new national rail website (wrongly?) states it cannot be purchased more than 3 days in advance, but I usually buy them a few weeks in advance without any issues.

Attachments

• IMG_4931.jpeg
    IMG_4931.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 89

RJ

Established Member
The new national rail website (wrongly?) states it cannot be purchased more than 3 days in advance, but I usually buy them a few weeks in advance without any issues.

That’s the official policy but not everywhere knows about or enforces it.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It also implies that you can't buy one at Hayes & Harlington which I don't think is correct either. Looks like someone's pasted wrong information in that field...

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Southeastern have increased the price of the 14 day standard class from £866 to £908 from 3rd March.
That's a ~4.85% increase, so might that mean the First Class 7 day ALR with railcard discount increasing from £571.55 to a ball park new amount just under £600.00?

On Moderation
HOW MUCH?! Ridiculously poor value, IMHO, especially in comparison with alternatives in the wider world.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I guess the rail companies whom control the prices of rover tickets such as the ALR sees them as 'easy' pickings to increase the cost above average owing to the more limited sales as they are mostly for leisure users. Some will moan about paying more but will end up paying it if they find them useful.

APT618S

I guess the rail companies whom control the prices of rover tickets such as the ALR sees them as 'easy' pickings to increase the cost above average owing to the more limited sales as they are mostly for leisure users. Some will moan about paying more but will end up paying it if they find them useful.
It just seems to be the standard 4.9% increase rounded to the whole pound as per the regulated rail fares:

800Travel

It just seems to be the standard 4.9% increase rounded to the whole pound as per the regulated rail fares:

Re rounded to the whole pound. Say a ticket cost £3 for example. 4.9% increase would be £3.147. I thought this would therefore be £3.15. But does the rounded to the whole pound mean it would be £4, as rounded up to whole pound? Or rounded down so remains at £3?

Similarly, £2.70 - would be £2.8323 so £2.85? or £3

£2.35 would be £2.45466 so £2.50 or £2.45? Or £3

I was aware of fares not being in increments of less than 5p, but never knew they rounded up to the whole pound during increases. Would mean a lot more than 4.9% on low value tickets.

The internal version of the national rail website (in the Fares Retailing Information section) states that Rangers and Rovers can be issued up to 12 months in advance of the date of travel.
(I won't give a link because access to the website is very soon to be limited to internal IP addresses.)

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Re rounded to the whole pound. Say a ticket cost £3 for example. 4.9% increase would be £3.147. I thought this would therefore be £3.15. But does the rounded to the whole pound mean it would be £4, as rounded up to whole pound? Or rounded down so remains at £3?

Similarly, £2.70 - would be £2.8323 so £2.85? or £3

£2.35 would be £2.45466 so £2.50 or £2.45? Or £3

I was aware of fares not being in increments of less than 5p, but never knew they rounded up to the whole pound during increases. Would mean a lot more than 4.9% on low value tickets.
Normal fares round to a multiple of 10p (20p for Returns within the Project Oval area.) All Line Rovers are traditionally a whole pound amount, however.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I believe the comment about rounding to the whole pound specifically refers to the All Line Rover.

800Travel

Normal fares round to a multiple of 10p (20p for Returns within the Project Oval area.) All Line Rovers are traditionally a whole pound amount, however.
Ok, thanks. £2.35 was the railcard discounted cost, so that'll be why it was £0.05 increment rather than £0.10 I imagine?
I believe the comment about rounding to the whole pound specifically refers to the All Line Rover.
Ah - thank you!

APT618S

Yes, that is correct. The 14 day standard class ALR has been a whole number of pounds for at least a decade or two IIRC.

A S Leib

especially in comparison with alternatives in the wider world.
Including the fact that in a lot of cases you can't use equivalent passes if you're resident there? The closest I can find for Spain which Spanish residents / citizens can use is the abono flexible, which is €735 / £630 in standard and is limited to ten high-speed journeys within four months (and as far as I can tell doesn't include regional / suburban travel). I can't find an equivalent for France at all discounting Interrail / Eurail passes, and Italy's in a similar situation (no national ticket available for Italian resident citizens as far as I can tell, and 3 trips in 7 days or 10 in 30 for the Trenitalia pass seems a lot more limiting than the all line rover if intensive travelling for foreign tourists is the aim).

~£182 for seven of the cheapest possible SBB day pass with a Half Fare Travelcard does make the GB option look extortionate though, particularly when the former includes buses, trams and boats.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Serious question: What is the point of hiding the new fares until Sunday?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
My guess is so there’s only one day of bad publicity rather than a ‘kick-in’ from the press when there fares get announced and then another one on the day they go live.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I believe the short version is that moving the main annual fares change from January to March in 2021 (announced mid-December 2020) has thrown all of the timescales out of whack, not helped in 2021 by TfL's new fares not being announced until mid-January. As such, there's not enough time for TOCs to undertake repricing (Spoiler: It involves more than pressing a button that says "Increase all fares by <x>%" ;)) and meet the deadline to get new fares out four weeks in advance of them going live.

The only way I can see to get back to having the fares increase in January rather than March, however, is to drop either the May or September fare change one year.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The only way I can see to get back to having the fares increase in January rather than March, however, is to drop either the May or September fare change one year.
I doubt it needs either of those. The biggest difference would be for the government to make an earlier decision about the level of fare rise each year. However, I suspect that they rather like removing the fares increase headlines from the 'not having any money just after Christmas' period.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for your thoughts. Even if the new fares were publicly available a week before the increase it would enable people to make plans for how to afford the extra expenditure. I just can't see the point of making them hidden until the second they start being used.

A side effect of this is that if you ask NRE for a journey from next week which is covered by PAYG it is quoting the wrong prices, even though you can't buy PAYG in advance.

Obviously my own gripe is needing to be up all night on Sat/Sun updating the data behind caps etc.