• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there a right to free water on long distance trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Is this why Merseyrail does not have an on-board shop?

I like the idea, but how many Merseyrail services operate entirely within one local authority licensing area? I suspect Liverpool - Kirkby might be the only one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprunt

Do sleeper trains carry potable water? I don't know if it's a right, but I'd say there's a reasonable expectation of access to drinking water in sleeper accommodation.

Established Member
Do sleeper trains carry potable water? I don't know if it's a right, but I'd say there's a reasonable expectation of access to drinking water in sleeper accommodation.
No. They don't. However complimentary bottles of water are provided in the berths.

Highlandspring

Established Member
There is bottled water in every cabin, as well as a boiler in every steward’s pantry.

island

Veteran Member
Legally, you're not correct. Unlicensed premises in the UK do not have to supply free drinking water. Licensed premises do, but they can charge for use of a glass and for service (!!!).

In the real world though, I have never been refused tap water if I am purchasing something else.

Back to the thread though I was under the impression licensed premises were under obligation to serve tap water if asked?

The TOCs do have a licence to sell alcohol so in theory should be required to provide "portable water" for free on request.

Aside from the fact that selling alcohol on board a train isn’t a licensable activity, the requirement for fixed licensed premises to serve free potable water is not unqualified. It is required to be provided to customers (so people not buying anything need not be served) where reasonably possible (so if there is no source of potable water available it need not be provided).

VT 390

Established Member
Last year when I travelled from Southampton Central to Newport (South Wales) with GWR there were no delays or anything but when the trolley came round everyone was allowed a free drink and not just water they were letting people choose any drink they wanted.

Last edited:

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Last year when I travelled from Southampton Central to Newport there were no delays or anything but when the trolley came round everyone was allowed a free drink and not just water they were letting people choose any drink they wanted.
When was this? Was it hot? Was the aircon working?
On that route, that would be the only time that happens

VT 390

Established Member
When was this? Was it hot? Was the aircon working?
On that route, that would be the only time that happens
This was late July 2018, though I can't remember the exact date.
It was hot but the aircon did seam to be working in the carriage I was in but I don't know about other carriages.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
This was late July 2018, though I can't remember the exact date.
It was hot but the aircon did seam to be working in the carriage I was in but I don't know about other carriages.
Then that would have been the reason.

Not entitled to it. Not relevant to this thread

Mathew S

Established Member

No, I think it is relevant. It's a circumstance in which free water has been given out on trains, that makes it relevant.
Some TOCs are quite generous with the free water, VTWC being one that springs to mind in my experience, in the summer months. Whether it's an entitlement as opposed to a goodwill gesture is an interesting discussion. I'd suggest that on non-airconditioned trains, the provision of water in high temperatures is a way of the TOC discharging it's duty of care to travellers.

leytongabriel

Thanks for all the replies- clearly this touches on a number of issues including staff attitudes, our attitudes to staff, the practicalities of supplying potable water, the legal aspect, medical need etc.
I posed the question thinking it was a 'no' but not a straightforward 'no' and so worth talking about. For those who didn't read it carefully, it wasn't me who asked, I was just a bystander.

Clayton

On Moderation

The railway companies charge high prices for often delayed travel. They are in the business of customer service so should be looking to give out water at least if there is any sort of problem

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
The railway companies charge high prices for often delayed travel. They are in the business of customer service so should be looking to give out water at least if there is any sort of problem
Exactly. On top of that some TOCs (e.g. Greater Anglia) require that non-alcoholic drinks be provided in such an event in their passenger charter. The very least they should do is honour it.

bristolianre

On Amtrak trains in the USA the water provided in lavatory/handbasin cubicles is labelled 'DRINKING WATER' and is of course freely available to all passengers. Why is this common practice beyond the wit of European train designers?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

It is business sense to give out free water in certain scenarios; dehydrated passengers (e.g. in hot weather) fall ill, and cause more delays.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
On Amtrak trains in the USA the water provided in lavatory/handbasin cubicles is labelled 'DRINKING WATER' and is of course freely available to all passengers. Why is this common practice beyond the wit of European train designers?

I wouldn’t drink from a tap on Amtrak.

6Gman

Established Member

Space, probably.

RLBH

Why is this common practice beyond the wit of European train designers?
Quite possibly different regulations about drinking water. In the UK, and presumably much of the rest of Europe, maintaining the plumbing in train toilets to the standards required for drinking water, and ensuring that the water doesn't make passengers ill, would be expensive. The standards for non-potable water aren't quite so strict.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I would not drink water from a tank which had been filled by a hosepipe in a carriage siding.

hawk1911

Get yourself a collapsible water bottle and download the 'Refill' app. The app will tell you your nearest free water refill point. There are over 20,000 places signed up in the UK, including many at railway stations.

hexagon789

Veteran Member

What sort of quality is it though? How well is the plumbing/tanks maintained/cleaned. Where is the water filled and where from?

sprunt

Given that there aren't reports of widescale illnesses from people drinking the water provided on Amtrak trains, it's almost certainly fine.

GrimShady

Established Member
What's the maintained temperature and what measures are in place to stop Legionella?

GrimShady

Established Member
I Googled this out of curiosity and they do test every single car regularly for bacteria in the water supply apparently.

Is there no active chemical treatment? Legionella exists everywhere not just hot water systems. It can still found hiding in dead legs of cold water systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.