• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is This The World’s Best Looking Train With An End Gangway Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
The Tobu Railway - in the Tokyo area - has just introduced the new Revaty train. Could this be the best looking train in the World with an end gangway connection? Play the video >

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I dunno, that looks odd and a bit 1980s to me. I don't think a regular gangway looks that bad provided they don't do something silly like call it out in yellow (like the awful LNR livery).

Taunton

Established Member
The gangway still jars with the cab windowline. Some judicious paint extending the black window surround across the gangway doors, etc, can make it look a lot better.

In Chicago, CTA bought successive batches of cars from different manufacturers that had completely different profiles to one another. When run in coupled sets of three or four types, as they did, it looked somewhat ridiculous. Design house Sundberg Ferar were given a simple task of doing something about it, and came up with a straightforward paint scheme that made them blend together when run in multiple far better than before.

Where are former art school students when a train manufacturer needs them?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
It would be interesting to know how those end doors are secured when in the open position. They look rather vulnerable to wind damage. As for the overall look any train with wrap-around cab windows will look good: remember the Clactons! But have the Japanese solved the issue of projectile impact resistance vs non-distorted vision through the glass?

Groningen

Established Member
All Dutch trains have the driver in the middle; except for locomotives where the driver is on the right side.

On Moderation
That is one of the ugliest and most evil looking front ends I have ever seen.
It certainly isn't the best front end with a gangway as claimed by the OP. I would suggest that the Class 442 has a better front end design for a start.

Amazing what some paint can do to hide the worst effects of a gangway. Scroll down to the bottom of this: http://www.whamart.co.uk/photogallery/my liveries_1.htm to see what the Class 458s should have been like originally - much better than what SWT went with.

Groningen

Established Member
Is it possible that if 2 trains are wrongly placed that there is no passing through from 1 train to another? The connection is not in the middle of the train.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
May I ask why they are called Thunderbirds?
Thunderbirds are the Japanese name for Ptarmigans. Something to do with the thunderstorms that form over the high mountains they live in I believe. They have a habit of naming fast things after birds. E.G the Hayabusa bike is the Japanese for a Perigrine Falcon.

talltim

Established Member
Is it possible that if 2 trains are wrongly placed that there is no passing through from 1 train to another? The connection is not in the middle of the train.
Which are you talking about?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It certainly isn't the best front end with a gangway as claimed by the OP. I would suggest that the Class 442 has a better front end design for a start.

Amazing what some paint can do to hide the worst effects of a gangway. Scroll down to the bottom of this: http://www.whamart.co.uk/photogallery/my liveries_1.htm to see what the Class 458s should have been like originally - much better than what SWT went with.
That looks fantastic! Oh, what might've been!

Victor C

To be honest, I'd much prefer the E353 series by JR East, which has its driving cab above the gangway:
E353_S101_S201_Jimmuji_20150725.JPG
E353_Super_Azusa_Higashi-Koganei_20171226.jpg

Victor C

Does the cab foot-well fold up out of the way when the gangway is in use?
From what I can see from some pictures, it looks like the cab is on a flat floor entirely above the gangway, similar to the E351 series it is designed to replace:
20150803180754-db9e9636146067d6bd3dad7528043f82955dc484.jpg

fowler9

Established Member
From what I can see from some pictures, it looks like the cab is on a flat floor entirely above the gangway, similar to the E351 series it is designed to replace:
20150803180754-db9e9636146067d6bd3dad7528043f82955dc484.jpg
I still can't figure it out looking at the interior and exterior pictures and where the side windows are in relation to the connection. Can the driver stand up in the cab? Lovely looking train by the way.

MarkyT

Established Member
Perhaps the public passageway takes a sharp left to wiggle round the driving position?

fowler9

Established Member
Perhaps the public passageway takes a sharp left to wiggle round the driving position?
Yeah, I mean those pointy side windows are no more than a few inches above the nose doors or the side entrance doors. I would love to visit Japan anyway and also while there see with my own eyes how it is done.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Tobu Railway - in the Tokyo area - has just introduced the new Revaty train. Could this be the best looking train in the World with an end gangway connection? Play the video >
That's pretty impressive looking - especially when you compare it with our last effort at a telescopic gangway, the Class 458/0..

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I still can't figure it out looking at the interior and exterior pictures and where the side windows are in relation to the connection. Can the driver stand up in the cab? Lovely looking train by the way.
They're not the tallest people you know!-

In all seriousness no normal height Westerner can fit in the drivers seat of the series 1 & 2 Shinkansen. Trust me I tried. The same was also the case in some very early Japanese cars.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Not on the similar Thunderbirds. Don't forget they have a much larger loading gauge than us- (14ft 8 maximum height) so there is plenty of height to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.