• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jacobite Validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascot

Established Member
Been having a look at fares to Mallaig and 2 main ones come up (a SOR and a CDR). The CDR has a restriction of H2 which says in the NFM "Not Valid on Jacobite Steam Train" where as the SOR is not restricted.

1.Why would they put a restriction on one and not the other?

2.Does this mean the SOR is valid on the Jacobite as it doesn't have the H2 restriction?

Please don't reply back with "national rail tickets are not valid blah blah i win" and other crap like that please. Evidence to show something is always helpful.

NFM98 E40 said:
Validity Code: H2
Outward Travel: Not valid on Jacobite Steam Train.
Return Travel: Not valid on Jacobite Steam Train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The Jacobite is listed in the timetable (or was when I used to go to the Bill on the 37 beds) and a Std Open was valid on it, although that ticket is probably more than the Jacobite ticket anyway!

Established Member
Jacobites listed at £29 from the WCRC. The SOR is listed at £9

Think thats gone up since I last did it! When are you going/planning to, I'll be ther in July so can check!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Been having a look at fares to Mallaig and 2 main ones come up (a SOR and a CDR). The CDR has a restriction of H2 which says in the NFM "Not Valid on Jacobite Steam Train" where as the SOR is not restricted.

1.Why would they put a restriction on one and not the other?

2.Does this mean the SOR is valid on the Jacobite as it doesn't have the H2 restriction?

Please don't reply back with "national rail tickets are not valid blah blah i win" and other crap like that please. Evidence to show something is always helpful.

1) Standard Opens are unrestricted by definition.
2) A very interesting question!

Let's look at the evidence, from the point of view of an 'average' customer.

One ticket says NOT valid on the Jacobite, the other ticket is silent on the matter.
The timetable clearly displays the Jacobite as a Summer-only service.
It is reasonable for someone to assume that any timetabled train that is shown in the public timetable should be valid with a Standard Open ticket.

So, I fail to see any evidence whatsoever that it is not valid, based on what a "normal" should know.

Now let's look a bit deeper (but we shouldn't have to).

It is a franchise let out by NR. That is why it appears in the timetable. It is not a charter train as such. I am not sure what it 'officially' counts as. It is currently operated by West Coast (but did I hear a rumour that may change? I can't remember now) on behalf of NR. IIRC, BR used to run it, but franchised it out even before privatisation, making it the first franchise (or maybe not, as there was m8Internet's Stagecoach sleeper trains?).

I believe they will refuse to accept it, but in a court of law I don't really see how they could force someone to pay more if they boarded with a SOR and refused to pay.

It's one of those secret rules that the railway has, that appear to be designed to lure you into a contract only for the railways to refuse to honour that contract and extract more money out of you.

Would I recommend trying it? Errr.... not sure. Consult a lawyer, but I think you'd have a good case (IANAL).

djw1981

Established Member
http://www.rail-reg.gov.uk/upload/pdf/s18-WCRC_Jacobite_New_TAA_declet.pdf
The contract provides WCRC with rights to operate charter passenger train services between Fort William and Mallaig (“The Jacobite” service) on specified days during the period for which the agreement is effective.
Thus ORR view it as a charter.

Neither DfT, nor TS, nor ORR list it among their franchises.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I have done some digging on the scot-rail site and a couple of emailers have responded to say that as far as tickets on concerned, the Jacobite is a private charter, and National Rail tickets are not valid. Thus the info on the SOr is another NRES mistake.

You could test it in court, but if WCRC were only getting £9 per trip, I imagine that would cut their income stream and make the steam service uneconomic and thus it would close.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
It wasn't franchised out to WCRC. the BR Charter Unit (or perhaps Waterman Railways by then) chose to cease operating it as it was said to be uneconomic - so WCRC decided to get their own operating licence and run/promote the trains. It has never been a franchise operation - it's a private operator.

Ascot

Established Member
So this brings back to my original question. Why do they have that restriction saying it's not valid on the Jacobite but not saying that on the other? If it was a charter then it wouldn't need to be published, but if it was special tickets only then why only listed on one restriction?

If it's an anomaly with the system and they both supposed to have it then ones valid.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So this brings back to my original question. Why do they have that restriction saying it's not valid on the Jacobite but not saying that on the other? If it was a charter then it wouldn't need to be published, but if it was special tickets only then why only listed on one restriction?

If it's an anomaly with the system and they both supposed to have it then ones valid.

Perhaps an out of date restriction, referring back to when it was BR run?

A bit farfetched possibly but a plausible suggestion.

djw1981

Established Member
But an SOR is not valid on any other charter. So why should this be different?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
But an SOR is not valid on any other charter. So why should this be different?
But charters are not shown in the NRT. So why should this be different?

But charters are not shown as Not being valid for CDRs. So why should this be different?

;)

The argument is not "the ticket should be valid", but that to the ordinary punter who does not know what is and isn't a charter train and the exact history of it and bla bla bla, it appears to be valid. The timetable is certainly very misleading.

djw1981

Established Member
It is shown in the timetable because it is a form of transport and for tourist interest. Just like the SPT services to the Clyde have ferry timetables in them but there is no through ticket on NRES from Glasgow to Rothsay. It is part of an integrated transport policy :)

The Jacobite services all have the following footnote in the FSR timetable for WHL (http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/tt/1208355401-West Highland Line.pdf - see p6 note C, p7 note F etc)
"29 June until 31 August. The Jacobite Steam Train
operated by West Coast Railway Co. Telephone
01524 737 751 or 01524 737 753 for details and
advance bookings, or visit www.steamtrain.info
"

Ascot

Established Member
It is shown in the timetable because it is a form of transport and for tourist interest. Just like the SPT services to the Clyde have ferry timetables in them but there is no through ticket on NRES from Glasgow to Rothsay. It is part of an integrated transport policy :)

The Jacobite services all have the following footnote in the FSR timetable for WHL (http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/tt/1208355401-West Highland Line.pdf - see p6 note C, p7 note F etc)
"

So why do they put a restriction on one ticket?

Last edited:

djw1981

Established Member
It does say that on the WCRC site. Also the SOR is only valid on TOC trains - WCRC are not a TOC, but a charter train company.

The answer from scot-rail.co.uk membership seems to be
The CDR and SOR are both National Rail tickets. WCRC and the Jacobite are not part of National Rail, with the Jacobite being a privately operated charter service
running daily (or there abouts). ScotRail include it in their own West Highland
timetables as an aid to tourists, with a note at the bottom saying that the service
is operated by WCRC and to contact them for further details.

Anyway, to put an end to the speculation: "Only West Coast Railway Company
tickets are valid on this service."
http://www.steamtrain.info/booking conditions.htm

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So what's the point in the SOR then? Are there any trains before 0930?

Ascot

Established Member
So what's the point in the SOR then? Are there any trains before 0930?

The CDR has no time restriction either, just No Jacobite.
It does say that on the WCRC site. Also the SOR is only valid on TOC trains - WCRC are not a TOC, but a charter train company.

The answer from scot-rail.co.uk membership seems to be

Why do they bother putting a restriction on the CDR then?

djw1981

Established Member
Because when both were run by bits of BR back in the early 90's they wished to restrict it. Like most T&C it never got reviewed?

Established Member
As another point they do priv tickets on the Jacobite for some reason despite it being classed as a charter, hence why I though a SOR may be able to be used.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't care who says what on what forum, the facts are:-
1) it should not be in the timetable if they do not accept normal tickets
2) the CDR should not have that restriction if other tickets don't
3) restrictions do not apply to trains - they apply to tickets. a TOC can;t run a train and say "bla bla tickets not valid", it's the ticket that states the restrictions.

Given points 1-3 it is entirely reasonable that anyone viewing the TT may assume that SORs are valid. I am not saying that they should be valid, just that it is reasonable to assume they are given that information.

That should change by withdrawing them from the NRT with immediate effect. Alternatively put ALL regular "charters" in (e.g. NYMR) with very clearly labelled notices to state normal tickets are not valid. Either way they should not get preferential treatment and should not be duping people into being chinged.

me123

Established Member
Thing is, the Jacobite service is a regular charter used by passengers across normal running track. The service between FW and Mallaig is, well, very sparse. The steam service provides an additional return journey along the line during the pslightly busier summer months.

I argue, therefore, that it should be in the timetable, but separate from other services with a clear indication that the train is a charter service. As for NYMR and similar companies with a connection/which run on the mainline railways, I think unless a regular timetable exists that the service should be merely referred to. If of course a regular timetable is in place, that should be published in a separate section of the timetable clearly stating that the trains do not accept NR tickets.

My views entirely.

djw1981

Established Member
Which is the current case. Short of shading it in a different colour (which is not the FSR timetabling style) I;m not sure what else they can do. It has a clear footnote which clearly only applies to that one train, and the staff at Fort William, Mallaig, and Glasgow Queen St will know the details if a tourist approaches them about journey planning and tickets.

me123

Established Member
But the footnote has no mention that special ticketing applies; it appears as an ordinary service train operated by a different operator.

Personally, I'd have the TT for the Jacobite on a different page with a bit more explaination, but it is clear enough to me. I could, however, easily see how a passenger could be led to believe that a SOR is valid hence why I would personally aim for greater clarification.

djw1981

Established Member
I don't care who says what on what forum, the facts are:-
1) it should not be in the timetable if they do not accept normal tickets
2) the CDR should not have that restriction if other tickets don't
3) restrictions do not apply to trains - they apply to tickets. a TOC can;t run a train and say "bla bla tickets not valid", it's the ticket that states the restrictions.

Given points 1-3 it is entirely reasonable that anyone viewing the TT may assume that SORs are valid. I am not saying that they should be valid, just that it is reasonable to assume they are given that information.

That should change by withdrawing them from the NRT with immediate effect. Alternatively put ALL regular "charters" in (e.g. NYMR) with very clearly labelled notices to state normal tickets are not valid. Either way they should not get preferential treatment and should not be duping people into being chinged.

Grief....listen to yourself will you........<D:grin:

People complain about alack of public transport integration. FSR have included this service because they think it is something which will attract customers to use their services - to get to the highlands, or traveling one way by WCRC and one way by FSR. In their timetable, there is a clear footnote which states that services are provided by someone else.

I do agree about consitency of approach but this is surely an issue for ATOC , and more specifically NRES, the NRT team and the relevant TOCs to sort out.

Ref your point 2. I agree entirely - try raising it with FSR external relations - they are normally very helpful and fullsome in their answers - (John Yellowlees First ScotRail External Relations Manager Atrium Court 50 Waterloo Street ... Fax : 0141-335 4345 Email : [email protected]).

Ref point 3. How does that differ from a normal CDR which is not valid on certain trains (normally restricted by time)?

As a moo point I went to Glasgow Queen St tonight and enquired about a trip to Mallaig, and the staff were very quick to ask 'are you going for the steam train' and 'are you taking it both ways' so it is unlikely that someone would get chinged..

BTW the first line of your post totally negates this thread of course :)

The start of the above post in meant in a post ironic sense and may be the result of too much coffee exam stress and too little sleep.
But the footnote has no mention that special ticketing applies; it appears as an ordinary service train operated by a different operator.

Personally, I'd have the TT for the Jacobite on a different page with a bit more explaination, but it is clear enough to me. I could, however, easily see how a passenger could be led to believe that a SOR is valid hence why I would personally aim for greater clarification.

The footnote IMO indicates that should you want to travel on this train you should contact the WCRC, who will explain the details...A separate page would make it difficult to see that you can for example go Glasgow - Mallaig then back to Fort William on the steam train and still be back in Glasgow that night as teh services would be split across various timetables - after all, FSR don;lt put the XC/NX services on a separate page in the timetable, and some tickets you would get from a ticket office are not valid for use on those services.

Anyway I suggest people write to FSR about it.

Bear in mind that if it causes hassle they may just miss it out of next years timetable, and if WCRC lose custome FSR will blame the people who complained (just like overnights at Carlisle?)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No point anyone responding then, may as well close the thread.
That's not what I meant.

*For the purpose of determining validity*, it doesn't matter what any of us say on any forum. It makes no difference to the reality.

The only way to determine validity is by checking the conditions of the ticket (e.g. valid after whatever time) and consulting the timetable. Someone saying "that is/isn't valid" on a forum doesn't make it valid or not valid.
Grief....listen to yourself will you........<D:grin:
Yes I have and am pleased you agree with most of the points!
People complain about alack of public transport integration. FSR have included this service because they think it is something which will attract customers to use their services - to get to the highlands, or traveling one way by WCRC and one way by FSR. In their timetable, there is a clear footnote which states that services are provided by someone else.
I've not seen the FSR TT, but the NRT is certainly extremely misleading, I agree with Ascot on that.
I do agree about consitency of approach but this is surely an issue for ATOC , and more specifically NRES, the NRT team and the relevant TOCs to sort out.
Yep.
Ref your point 2. I agree entirely - try raising it with FSR external relations - they are normally very helpful and fullsome in their answers - (John Yellowlees First ScotRail External Relations Manager Atrium Court 50 Waterloo Street ... Fax : 0141-335 4345 Email : [email protected]).

Ref point 3. How does that differ from a normal CDR which is not valid on certain trains (normally restricted by time)?
Not sure what you are getting at. I don't see how it does differ. The issue is advertised as by any timetabled train versus a ticket advertised as any train EXCEPT Jacobite. The timetable shows the Jacobite as if it was a regular service. It's downright misleading!
As a moo point I went to Glasgow Queen St tonight and enquired about a trip to Mallaig, and the staff were very quick to ask 'are you going for the steam train' and 'are you taking it both ways' so it is unlikely that someone would get chinged..
In that situation yes, but online sales etc are increasing, and staff at places like Penzance who won't get that training, or travel agents selling tickets to tourists may look up their system and see one isn't valid on Jacobite and might think the other is? I don't know.

BTW the first line of your post totally negates this thread of course :)
Not really - I've explained that above. None of anything we say change the basic facts. We can debate who is to blame and how it should be fixed, but that doesn't change those basic facts that it's misleading.
The start of the above post in meant in a post ironic sense and may be the result of too much coffee exam stress and too little sleep.
OK :p

The footnote IMO indicates that should you want to travel on this train you should contact the WCRC, who will explain the details...A separate page would make it difficult to see that you can for example go Glasgow - Mallaig then back to Fort William on the steam train and still be back in Glasgow that night as teh services would be split across various timetables - after all, FSR don;lt put the XC/NX services on a separate page in the timetable, and some tickets you would get from a ticket office are not valid for use on those services.

Anyway I suggest people write to FSR about it.

Bear in mind that if it causes hassle they may just miss it out of next years timetable, and if WCRC lose custome FSR will blame the people who complained (just like overnights at Carlisle?)

Well there's 2 issues here.

1) Yes it should be a lot clearer.

2) You seem to suggest it has a right to be in there, and that removing it will cause a loss in custom. By the same argument, aren't the likes of NYMR losing out in a big way by not having theirs advertised? Anyway I am going to address that in a moment....

Thing is, the Jacobite service is a regular charter used by passengers across normal running track.
which is identical to NYMR Whitby-Grosmont!
The service between FW and Mallaig is, well, very sparse. The steam service provides an additional return journey along the line during the pslightly busier summer months.
Again, identical!
I argue, therefore, that it should be in the timetable,
Possibly...
but separate from other services with a clear indication that the train is a charter service.
Yes it needs to be VERY clear.
As for NYMR and similar companies with a connection/which run on the mainline railways, I think unless a regular timetable exists that the service should be merely referred to.
Huh? I fail to see how NYMR's Whitby services are any different to the Fort William-Mallaig service?
If of course a regular timetable is in place, that should be published in a separate section of the timetable clearly stating that the trains do not accept NR tickets.

My views entirely.
Well, I agree with you there BUT earlier you said that they should be "in the timetable" are you now saying it should be seperate? To be honest, I have no real argument either way. I accept either approach has it's merits. BUT, what there needs to be is consistency (Not one rule for NYMR and another rule for Jacobite) AND absolute 110% clarity about the ticket restrictions. There should be a big "£" sign or something at the top, it should be shaded, large footnotes clearly stating seperate tickets required, leaving absolutely no doubt.

I just think it should be the same rules for everyone and it should be crystal clear.

1D53

Established Member
North Yorkshire Moors services are listed in the new TT too.
Posted via Mobile Device

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
North Yorkshire Moors services are listed in the new TT too.
Posted via Mobile Device

I see they are now. And with absolutely nothing warning anyone that they do not accept normal tickets. A worrying trend.

I'm not against them being in there but it should be made very clear what the ticketing situation is.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Go abroad (for example in Germany, Czecho and Switzerland) and you will find the National Timetable has details of many private operators, all of whom only accept their own tickets. I've never found any note which says this.

Does the NFM have a list of TOCs which participate in the Natioanl Ticketing System?

Status
Not open for further replies.