• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jeremy Corbyn's Traingate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA_900

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
I don't know where to start to dissect that video but ill just put it out there that other people in the vestibule at some unknown time means nothing

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Sad and pathetic that an incident over TRAIN SEATS for goodness' sake, is being dredged up after all this time.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Sad and pathetic that an incident over TRAIN SEATS for goodness' sake, is being dredged up after all this time.
Quite. It happened a year ago.

This thread will undoubtedly just see the same cyclic arguments being made as the original thread.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

this - but the clownbynians wont give it up.

Statements in that film are also misleading. The train wasn't ram packed, chocka, full or any other thing. The film is just as misleading as the issues with the initial reporting. What it does show is the rank stupidity of many people, team Clownbyn included. Sitting on the floor for 3 hours when there are seats available. :roll:

Clownbyn, as a train buff, should have known he could sit in a reserved seat that is unoccupied or only occupied for part of the journey. Imagine all those empty seats were reserved from Berwick to Edinburgh. Imagine they were reserved from London to Newcastle but nobody claimed them. He could have quite rightly sat there all the way to Newcastle. He knows that and his clown army know that. He tried a stunt, it backfired and he got caught out. Give it up.

BTW what are Virgin doing responding to an FOI request. They aren't covered by the terms of that act. That does make me somewhat skeptical of this "truth" piece.

Last edited:

dtaylor84

It was "dredged up" after so long because of how long it took Virgin to respond to an FOI request...

Failed Unit

Established Member
In your opinion.

So the have changed the conditions of the reservations then? Not opinion fact I am afraid. Sorry.

This whole video reminds me of the evidence that there was no moon landing - it was simulated or that a plane didn't crash into the pentagon...

Camden

Established Member
I've noticed this video being introduced in a few places, coinciding with the transport summit today. If Jezza's ppl wanted to kick up a stink about representation of their leader, they really needed to pick a topic that people other than them care about, and make it coincide with an event that isn't just a boring non-event. I think if it shows up much it's just self-absorption and a total disconnect from what people really care about.

Who cares!

backontrack

Established Member
In your opinion.

And, in addition, imagine the hoo-ha if someone had claimed the seat later on, or if Corbyn was accused in the tabloids of being greedy by sitting in a seat that wasn't his own.

If you're a politician, then you can't afford to take too many risks.

Established Member
This is a case of "you believe what you want to believe".

One issue is whether or not all seats were taken so that JC and others HAD to sit on the floor. None of the videos that have been released, including this one, totally answer that.

Another is the stuff put out by JC or his spin doctors saying how the incident showed that privately-operated train services were no good and justifying re-nationalisation on the basis that it would solve such problems as he'd experienced. Obviously it wouldn't.

There's enough in this video, e.g. the comments by passengers about the train being totally overcrowded, chokka, etc., to make clear that they are seeking to push their version and not trying to be completely objective.

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
So how do you know that that reserved seat isn't taken? How do you know that the person that reserved it isn't in the loo, or gone to the buffet?

Normally evidence, but politely asking the people in the adjacent seats works for me. If they do happen to show up then you just move to the next one. Simples. Not many buffets are open on VTEC that soon after leaving kings cross.

Established Member
So how do you know that that reserved seat isn't taken? How do you know that the person that reserved it isn't in the loo, or gone to the buffet?

You check the info on the reservation slip about the stations between which the seat's been reserved. You ask neighbouring passengers if they'd noticed whether there'd been anyone in that seat. You sit on it and wait. If no-one has come back in 15 minutes they probably weren't in the loo (unless there was a massive queue early in that journey that only nationalisation can resolve). If they come back from the buffet you let them have their seat. You don't blame the system if the whole of your party cannot sit together, or even if you and your wife can't sit together.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Exactly. Until this thread was posted I hadn't even given it a moments thought for a year.
I have given it a moments notice in the year but usually only when I'm on a packed train one can barely get on or leaves people behind, and there's no disruption. The 7.56 East Croydon to Victoria springs to mind.

When on it I sometimes think, if Corbyn was so keen on over crowding on trains, why didnt he travel on this service. Surely there must be some supportors who they could have tapped into, to find which services are packed.

Then he might have had a valid point. To make it even more valid, perhaps he could be changing trains at Clapham Junction and the journey he's doing, be one suggested in the official journey planner. It is possible to find this stuff out.

You could argue he could travel another time but you couldn't argue he wasn't being truthful in this case, had he done so. Alas no he chose something that wasn't what it was.

I'm not a supportor of Corbyn or May.

Last edited:

mpthomson

This report regarding 'train-gate' is pretty conclusive.

And makes the behaviour of Virgin all the more unpalatable.

It has been pieced together following a FOI request:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47fqjA8CwGE&feature=youtu.be

Who did the FOI request go to? Stagecoach/Virgin is a private company to whom the FOI legislation doesn't apply in any way and they aren't beholden to provide anything.

Given the circumstances of this incident I'd imagine any 'FOI' request to them would be met with a firm 'rod off' and an explanation of what a FOI request actually is.

I'd be willing to bet that all the CCTV footage was that which Virgin CHOSE to, they didn't have to so I'll repeat CHOSE to release in order to refute Corbyn's nonsense claim.

Last edited:
this - but the clownbynians wont give it up.

Statements in that film are also misleading. The train wasn't ram packed, chocka, full or any other thing. The film is just as misleading as the issues with the initial reporting. What it does show is the rank stupidity of many people, team Clownbyn included. Sitting on the floor for 3 hours when there are seats available. :roll:

Clownbyn, as a train buff, should have known he could sit in a reserved seat that is unoccupied or only occupied for part of the journey. Imagine all those empty seats were reserved from Berwick to Edinburgh. Imagine they were reserved from London to Newcastle but nobody claimed them. He could have quite rightly sat there all the way to Newcastle. He knows that and his clown army know that. He tried a stunt, it backfired and he got caught out. Give it up.

BTW what are Virgin doing responding to an FOI request. They aren't covered by the terms of that act. That does make me somewhat skeptical of this "truth" piece.

A quick scan of your "contribution" there shows it to clearly have a right-wing agenda, so I'd treat any posting by you in future with the necessary huge pinch of salt. It's rather naïve to treat your post as somehow the 'truth'.

Darandio

Established Member
A quick scan of your "contribution" there shows it to clearly have a right-wing agenda, so I'd treat any posting by you in future with the necessary huge pinch of salt. It's rather naïve to treat your post as somehow the 'truth'.

Yet it's pretty much all truthful? If it isn't, tell us which part.

backontrack

Established Member
The title of this thread states the train to have been "not full at all". Maybe that statement now deserves a rethink.

The evidence does seem pretty conclusive.

backontrack

Established Member
Are we now saying the train was full?

Who's 'we' anyway?

I'm saying that the unreserved seats were full. It's too risky politically for Corbyn to sit in a reserved seat.

Just a title like "Corbyn sits on floor on VTEC train" would be fine. It doesn't imply anything one way or the other.

Spartacus

Established Member
I have given it a moment's notice in the year but usually only when I'm on a packed train one can barely get on or leaves people behind, and there's no disruption. The 7.56 East Croydon to Victoria springs to mind.

When on it I sometimes think, if Corbyn was so keen on overcrowding on trains, why didn't he travel on this service. Surely there must be some supporters who they could have tapped into, to find which services are packed.

Yes, when the man can't find a train that's genuinely full (especially when there's regularly produced public lists of the busiest trains) is really should make people wonder about his overall competence.

Darandio

Established Member
Who's 'we' anyway?

'You' then, whoever, doesn't matter.

I'm saying that the unreserved seats were full. It's too risky politically for Corbyn to sit in a reserved seat.

Just a title like "Corbyn sits on floor on VTEC train" would be fine. It doesn't imply anything one way or the other.

In what way does that mean the thread title needs changing? The train wasn't full at all, what is wrong with it?

backontrack

Established Member
In what way does that mean the thread title needs changing? The train wasn't full at all, what is wrong with it?

In your view, it isn't full. In my view, it is full. There are others on here who share my view.

What's wrong with having a neutral title that doesn't imply anything?

Spartacus

Established Member
Let's go back to the original soundbite, in which Jeremy Corbyn said "Today this train is completely ram-packed." Whatever was you choose to look at the seating situation, this was obviously untrue.

Darandio

Established Member
In your view, it isn't full. In my view, it is full. There are others on here who share my view.

What's wrong with having a neutral title that doesn't imply anything?

Others on here share my view as well and that is the issue, how full a train is can be very subjective.

I'll agree with you on the title change, as long as it isn't changed to the train being full. :D

Failed Unit

Established Member
Who's 'we' anyway?

This statement is funny. If someone turns up with the reservation he moves like anyone else would. Remember it was him trying to make an issue of this. The person that moved him wouldn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.