• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

June 2024 Timetable Change

numtot12345

Good to see that, but there is still the ridiculous gap in the Neilston-Glasgow service between the 0824 and 0905 departures; And the 0905 (just now at least) is booked a 3-car only! A train which I avoid if at all possible as it becomes extremely overcrowded. Pre-Covid there was an 0841 from Neilston.
Completely agree re that relatively large gap. Any idea if that's being filled in on June 2024 timetable?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I hope they bring it back at some point, but at the moment it doesn't seem likely anytime soon.
Running a Liverpool-Stalybridge EMU service in the other half-hour would be useful, as Northern did (with DMUs) before any of the wires went up.
I don't suppose the TPEs stopping at Lea Green and Newton le Willows helps the case for a second stopper.
Warrington gets 2tph from Earlestown/NLW now that Northern runs to Chester as well as TfW.

MCR247

Established Member
Thanks for that explanation, as under normal operation only a couple of freights a day are booked into the goods line at Colchester rather than at least 2 passenger services an hour I wonder if this could ever be reviewed? Of course at times of disruption it occurs more frequently and there‘s some ECS services too.
From my understanding of it, the determining factor doesn’t seem to be how often it happens, but the impact when it does happen.

Passenger services are quite nippy, so the time saved probably won’t be much, and would could just result in longer dwells instead of actual savings. But having a long/heavy freight train slowing down on the mainline more than it needs to, will likely have a greater knock on effect to pathing of other trains. You’d have passenger trains catching up with freight trains that are now taking longer to clear the route than before.

dk1

Veteran Member
Thanks for that explanation, as under normal operation only a couple of freights a day are booked into the goods line at Colchester rather than at least 2 passenger services an hour I wonder if this could ever be reviewed? Of course at times of disruption it occurs more frequently and there‘s some ECS services too.

I do wonder if the infrastructure on the GEML could be considered for reviewing in a similar way as mentioned recently in Modern Railways for the north end of the WCML? At times the division between renewal and enhancement seems too restrictive when there might be opportunities for modest improvements that could make a real difference.
The GEML has had massive investment in the OHL which was ongoing for years & years. Thats why we no longer have heat related speed restrictions on it.

It’s also had huge changes in readiness for the Elizabeth Line, Shenfield area resignalled & remodelled twice and now Beaulieu Park station & all the infrastructure that’s involved in that project.

Established Member
So they spent millions upgrading the track, signalling, turnouts etc to raise the speed limit from 70 to 90mph years ago....only for the majority of trains to poodle along because the timetable isn't written efficiently to make use of it lol. What makes me laugh is when a Southend or Colchester Town service to London calling at Romford still catches the previous service up that was non stop!!
The signalling on the main lines through Stratford was designed for non stop running, long before the Olympics and everything that subsequently bought to the area. Today you would probably design it with more signals and a lower linespeed, like the electric line is.

You could write the timetable 'more efficiently' by removing all the Stratford calls, or reducing the number of trains, but I wouldn't like to be the one suggesting it. It is inevitable that a train standing in platform 9 will cause a driver of a following train to see restrictive signals back at Forest Gate.

Snow1964

Established Member
Extract of the Cross Country Press Release, changing calling patterns, and since when has there been a September timetable change

a further move to relieve crowding on some of CrossCountry’s long-distance services this summer will see temporary changes to the timetable - meaning busier services will make fewer station calls from June to September only.

Adjusting these calling patterns – at Wakefield Westgate and Chesterfield, Basingstoke and Winchester – encourages passengers making shorter journeys to switch to other operators, providing more capacity for CrossCountry customers making longer journeys.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
Extract of the Cross Country Press Release, changing calling patterns, and since when has there been a September timetable change

Does this mean services running centre road through Wakefield Westgate?

pompeyfan

Established Member
Are they removing both Winchester and Basingstoke, or just Winchester? I can understand Winchester but Basingstoke seems like an odd decision due to the line speed, and the various connections provided from SWR services from Portsmouth/Fareham and Salisbury - Basingstoke via Andover

Llandudno

Established Member
Expect those to become permanent or an "extended trial"
If XC no longer call at Chesterfield will the running times be speeded up or will the trains wait a further 5 minutes at Derby southbound and 5 minutes at Sheffield northbound in lieu of the Chesterfield call.

If so what’s the point in skipping Chesterfield which boasted nearly 2million users pre covid?
Numbers are less than that currently and so are the number of trains calling there…

louis97

Established Member
If XC no longer call at Chesterfield will the running times be speeded up or will the trains wait a further 5 minutes at Derby southbound and 5 minutes at Sheffield northbound in lieu of the Chesterfield call.
Unlikely the journey times will be sped up as XC will be more than happy with the extra dwell time at Derby.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Not calling at Basingstoke is a disgrace. Given that they’ve just announced an extra 5x Avanti 221s in addition to the 7 already being obtained, there’s no excuse for single-sets in the Bournemouth turns which should provide enough capacity to serve the stations they’re contracted to!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
since when has there been a September timetable change

There has always been a September change with many summer dated trains ceasing running then (think Summer Saturday additionals to Penzance, Newquay, Paignton, Weymouth and Pembroke).

It’s contained as in a date set within the June to December timetable and the trains will be ‘dated’ accordingly.

DDB

Not calling at Basingstoke is a disgrace. Given that they’ve just announced an extra 5x Avanti 221s in addition to the 7 already being obtained, there’s no excuse for single-sets in the Bournemouth turns which should provide enough capacity to serve the stations they’re contracted to!
But they haven't got these extra trains yet hence the hopefully temporary changes until they arrive.

dk1

Veteran Member
There has always been a September change with many summer dated trains ceasing running then (think Summer Saturday additionals to Penzance, Newquay, Paignton, Weymouth and Pembroke).

It’s contained as in a date set within the June to December timetable and the trains will be ‘dated’ accordingly.

Was always a ‘wiggly’ line through the middle of the times in the GBTT meaning this train does not operate for the full duration of this timetable.

Great Yarmouth Saturday extras & an early Ipswich-Peterborough Sunday service always finish after the first weekend of September too.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Was always a ‘wiggly’ line through the middle of the times in the GBTT meaning this train does not operate for the full duration of this timetable.

Unfortunately in recent years the GBTT has become overrun with ‘dated trains’ due to a general inability to mask minor variations in working times from period to period using judicious public book differentials to maintain a standardised publicly advertised schedule throughout. I’ve seen ‘wiggly lines’ used for simple platforming variations! Proper timetabling is becoming a lost art.

dk1

Veteran Member
Unfortunately in recent years the GBTT has become overrun with ‘dated trains’ due to a general inability to mask minor variations in working times from period to period using judicious public book differentials to maintain a standardised publicly advertised schedule throughout. I’ve seen ‘wiggly lines’ used for simple platforming variations! Proper timetabling is becoming a lost art.

Such a shame. I used to look forward to the GBTTs when the timetable changes where May & September. Read them like a good book.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Such a shame. I used to look forward to the GBTTs when the timetable changes where May & September. Read them like a good book.
Me too! Table 51 Summer Saturdays was always the first place to look if it was a May edition. I got hooked on timetabling when RAIL published a puzzle in the late 90s, challenging readers to work out how all the C of E bishops would reach Canterbury for a synod meeting without using London terminals. Quite a few hours spent working it all out and then I never actually saw what the solution was (perhaps it proved too difficult to judge…)

dk1

Veteran Member
Me too! Table 51 Summer Saturdays was always the first place to look if it was a May edition. I got hooked on timetabling when RAIL published a puzzle in the late 90s, challenging readers to work out how all the C of E bishops would reach Canterbury for a synod meeting without using London terminals. Quite a few hours spent working it all out and then I never actually saw what the solution was (perhaps it proved too difficult to judge…)

Mine was in the early 80s. Lived opposite a railway station so popped in every day for weeks before until they arrived to buy one in the booking office with my pocket money or tapping my a mum up.

Established Member
Proper timetabling is becoming a lost art.
There are some still around who know how to timetable properly, but this requires above all, time to do a methodical and accurate job. A combination of late decision making, whether it be DfT, NR, TOC directors or whoever, and diversion of staff onto strike timetables, is not giving those responsible sufficient time to do a proper job, much to their frustration too.

Unfortunately the way many planners rose to the task during Covid has now made a rod for their own back, with everyone thinking planning timetables can be done at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member

Especially in my experience of using northbound XC services from Basingstoke, the busy section tends to be after Reading & Oxford. Southbound trains tend to empty out at Reading. Unless there is a cruise at Southampton or kickball traffic (Southampton vs team from West Midlands etc)

The trains will just end up sitting at Southampton Airport Parkway for the correct dwell time when passengers for Winchester from the Oxford direction find themselves having to change twice with some rubbish connections considering Basingstoke -> Southampton is 1tph. If XC cared about "encourages passengers making shorter journeys to switch to other operators, providing more capacity for CrossCountry customers making longer journeys." they would skip Coventry & Wolverhampton, as no doubt they get more local passengers from Wolverhampton/Coventry travelling to Birmingham then they get Basingstoke passengers travelling to Reading [probably doesn't help that the timetable at Basingstoke where the stopper tends to depart quite soon after the XC] Northern simply won't cope with the extra passengers from Wakefield to Sheffield, they can barely cope already on the Leeds - Wakefield - Barnsley - Sheffield services.

Llandudno

Established Member
Especially in my experience of using northbound XC services from Basingstoke, the busy section tends to be after Reading & Oxford. Southbound trains tend to empty out at Reading. Unless there is a cruise at Southampton or kickball traffic (Southampton vs team from West Midlands etc)

The trains will just end up sitting at Southampton Airport Parkway for the correct dwell time when passengers for Winchester from the Oxford direction find themselves having to change twice with some rubbish connections considering Basingstoke -> Southampton is 1tph. If XC cared about "encourages passengers making shorter journeys to switch to other operators, providing more capacity for CrossCountry customers making longer journeys." they would skip Coventry & Wolverhampton, as no doubt they get more local passengers from Wolverhampton/Coventry travelling to Birmingham then they get Basingstoke passengers travelling to Reading [probably doesn't help that the timetable at Basingstoke where the stopper tends to depart quite soon after the XC] Northern simply won't cope with the extra passengers from Wakefield to Sheffield, they can barely cope already on the Leeds - Wakefield - Barnsley - Sheffield services.
Same for Chesterfield, not only will it lose it’s only direct Birmingham (and beyond) train but the only direct train to Leeds will be the totally inadequate 2 car Northern train which is regularly full and standing even at off peak times!

Veteran Member
A quick look at RTT suggests:
Chesterfield is very little changed from the present (ie a fair number non stopping)
Wakefield loses several calls on Saturday 15 June (and presumably other Saturdays, but not yet showing?), none on weekdays.
Basingstoke has a random one on 15/6 and Winchester none that I can find. Obviously that is incomplete, but are we reading too much into a press release?

DDB

Same for Chesterfield, not only will it lose it’s only direct Birmingham (and beyond) train but the only direct train to Leeds will be the totally inadequate 2 car Northern train which is regularly full and standing even at off peak times!
But people can take the EMR twice an hour intercity services to change at Derby or Sheffield respectively.

dk1

Veteran Member
This is the thing now since franchises ceased to operate as we knew them. In the previous model XC would not want to withdraw from stations such as Basingstoke, Chesterfield, Winchester or even Audley End due to the revenue loss. These often local flows all added to their income but I suppose that no longer matters in the brave new world of train operators.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A quick look at RTT suggests:
Chesterfield is very little changed from the present (ie a fair number non stopping)
Wakefield loses several calls on Saturday 15 June (and presumably other Saturdays, but not yet showing?), none on weekdays.
Basingstoke has a random one on 15/6 and Winchester none that I can find. Obviously that is incomplete, but are we reading too much into a press release?
It might very well be that the changes haven't yet been enacted, if they're late-notice. But yes, skipping Basingstoke is absolutely ridiculous as it allows connections to/from lots of SWR stations. It also forms a key part of the Basingstoke-Reading service, particularly on Sundays when GWR only run 1tph.

It's disappointing that rather than properly fixing the capacity problem - which would have been easily doable by transferring all the Avanti 221s to XC - they are only getting 12 of them and are attempting to "become a more IC operator" as I believe one of their Managers put it. This completely overlooks the fact that short hops around cities make up the majority of their passenger journeys (by volume, at least).

This is far from the only move they've taken to try and force local passengers off their trains. See also: making their trains "reservations compulsory" between Birmingham and Wolverhampton and then refusing to issue reservations for that journey, pretending the train is "sold out". I get what they're aiming at, but there simply isn't enough capacity or frequency on other services!

Last edited:

Magdalia

Established Member
since when has there been a September timetable change

I used to look forward to the GBTTs when the timetable changes where May & September.
The regions issued separate summer and winter timetables up to 1964. There was a return to separate summer and winter timetables in 1986 which lasted until privatisation. For the period in between there were still some significant changes in September/October, but with the changes given in supplements to the May timetable.

It is the December timetable change that is a relatively recent phenomenon. If I remember rightly this was linked to the opening of the Channel Tunnel.

Iskra

Established Member

Yes, it’s not really been mentioned until you said it, but this is really going to damage Sheffield-Wakefield traffic as the remaining options are incredibly poor.

That train is going to be unbearable then now. I’d just switched to using that instead of XC. I now will just drive as the all station stoppers are painful.

dk1

Veteran Member
The regions issued separate summer and winter timetables up to 1964. There was a return to separate summer and winter timetables in 1986 which lasted until privatisation. For the period in between there were still some significant changes in September/October, but with the changes given in supplements to the May timetable.

It is the December timetable change that is a relatively recent phenomenon. If I remember rightly this was linked to the opening of the Channel Tunnel.

Yes all very European from then on. I wasn’t a fan.