• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Just 16, at school, is she a child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

34D

Established Member
Child ticket to Manchester was requested, no card asked for or shown. Everyone was slack on that day.
Nervously waiting for a reply from Northern.

Thank you for clarifying this. Please keep us updated.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if they do anything other than write back telling her to be aware next time (but this section of the forum isn't for opinions or surprises).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But I'm thinking that if the clerk didn't ask to see the card in this instance, presumably they'd just press Child even with that in place.

There is an instruction from John Henkel at Metro/WYCA that as many transactions must be smart (from now) as possible, so once the equipment is fitted I expect ticket office clerks will get used to asking for an 'ITSO touch' from relevant passengers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Child ticket to Manchester was requested, no card asked for or shown. Everyone was slack on that day.
Nervously waiting for a reply from Northern.

So they sold the ticket that your daughter requested? I don't see how any of the rail staff can be in any way to blame here.

34D

Established Member
So they sold the ticket that your daughter requested? I don't see how any of the rail staff can be in any way to blame here.

I disagree, though this tangent does not help the OP.

Whenever I am asked to sell a child ticket to someone who looks in their teens, I always follow it with 'how old is the child'.

I disagree, though this tangent does not help the OP.

Whenever I am asked to sell a child ticket to someone who looks in their teens, I always follow it with 'how old is the child'.

as would make sense, but isn't it that there's no requirement to check as it's not an offence to buy the ticket, but it is to use it?

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
As a teen, my first wrong ticket incident was dealt with in a kind and informative way. Not dealt as a 'serious incident' matter with threatening letters.

Not as if school teach you these things, so they need to communicated elsewhere.

Not only schools are responsible for teaching kids things. Children start to pay adult fares at different ages for different occasions - theme parks are normally about 12, for example. Whenever you have a teenager, the age at which child prices cease to be valid should always be checked. Especially if you've been caught out yourself when you were younger.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I know, my knowledge of regulatory boundaries invisible to the eye, are just very poor. I've learned a lot this week.

The State should shoulder some responsibility for that - they have spent the last few years nannying everybody, wrapping them up in cotton wool and making decisions on their population's behalf, that people have come to expect to be told what to do all the time.

Last edited:

Abpj17

While I think in this case, the parent should definitely have some responsibility for teaching their children about public transport or instilling an ability to ask about this kind of stuff...

...the kid may have been taught this. Today I was lectured by 14 year old what her rights were lol, she had remembered that at 14 she could own a pet and get engaged, but not married...

Windmill10

RESULT

Thanks to all the help here. I've just received a letter saying the matter is closed and no further action will be taken.

Tom B

Established Member
That is correct.

In practice the opposite often happens and staff will refuse to issue a ticket as it is assumed you are going to mis-use it.

I recall trying to buy a YPR-discounted and a child-discounted ticket for a journey, on my own, in order to save time the next day when I (with my YPR) and a family member (then a child) wanted to travel - refused because I ostensibly needed the 'child' to be present to buy the ticket!

najaB

Veteran Member
I recall trying to buy a YPR-discounted and a child-discounted ticket for a journey, on my own, in order to save time the next day when I (with my YPR) and a family member (then a child) wanted to travel - refused because I ostensibly needed the 'child' to be present to buy the ticket!
If you had your railcard with you at the time, then they should have sold you the ticket you required. AFAIK, you aren't required to present the whole travelling party when buying tickets for future travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.