• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ken Bruce Quits BBC Radio 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

Established Member
Well the replacement ‘Pop Master’ quiz is absolutely terrible. Awful format, far too much background noise & takes much too long.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red Onion

Well the replacement ‘Pop Master’ quiz is absolutely terrible. Awful format, far too much background noise & takes much too long.

I listened to it for the first time this morning and concur. I played both rounds but was uninterested midway through the first.

I got a few right but the scoring system is horrific, feels that you need to keep a table which detracts from the aim of having fun participating.

Think I’ll happily not play again.

nw1

Established Member
There was a similarly controversial shift to younger presenters and newer music in the late 90s. But compare the standard 1999 and 2023 schedules and ages on their birthdays in that year:

07:30 Terry Wogan (61)
09:30 Ken Bruce (48)
12:00 Jimmy Young (78)
14:00 Steve Wright (45)
17:00 Richard Allinson (41)/Johnnie Walker (54)

06:30 Zoe Ball (53)
09:30 Vernon Kay (49)
12:00 Jeremy Vine (58)
14:00 Scott Mills (50)
16:00 Sara Cox (49)

None of the main 2023 presenters are under 49 on their birthday this year, whereas three were under that age in 1999.
On the other hand, three of the presenters in 1999 were 54 or over, while only one is now. So swings and roundabouts I guess.

The years of "Pick of the Pops" is a good guide I think to the state of R2. This remained stable for many years, generally covering the 30 year period starting in approximately 1963; as long ago as 1999 I distinctly remember the late 80s being featured. Since probably about 2020 it's definitely moved forward significantly.

On the other hand when I first listened to the R2 edition of POTP in 1998, it covered an older time frame: both years were invariably before 1980. I think there was a jump in 1999 to feature 80s years, even late 80s years, regularly (which suited me). The most recent year gradually extended into the early 90s but no further, and things were pretty stable during the 00s and much of the 10s. As recently as 2018 or 2019, it was very common for the older year to be 60s or early 70s and the most recent possible year was typically around 1993 or 1994.

Nowadays 60s is rare, 70s infrequent and 21st century not uncommon.

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
On the other hand, three of the presenters in 1999 were 54 or over, while only one is now. So swings and roundabouts I guess.

The years of "Pick of the Pops" is a good guide I think to the state of R2. This remained stable for many years, generally covering the 30 year period starting in approximately 1963; as long ago as 1999 I distinctly remember the late 80s being featured. Since probably about 2020 it's definitely moved forward significantly.

On the other hand when I first listened to the R2 edition of POTP in 1998, it covered an older time frame: both years were invariably before 1980. I think there was a jump in 1999 to feature 80s years, even late 80s years, regularly (which suited me). The most recent year gradually extended into the early 90s but no further, and things were pretty stable during the 00s and much of the 10s. As recently as 2018 or 2019, it was very common for the older year to be 60s or early 70s and the most recent possible year was typically around 1993 or 1994.

Nowadays 60s is rare, 70s infrequent and 21st century not uncommon.
I rarely listen to Pick of the Pops anymore for that reason. Even when they feature charts I like the format feels stale. Nowadays I only listen in when my favourite music years are featured, such as 1968, 1978 or 1981.

I sometimes listen to the Top 10 at 10 on Greatest Hits Radio if off work for the morning. However, I have no intention of listening when it moves to 9.00 or to Ken for that matter. I enjoy the feature with Mark Goodier (and note that he will be continuing that feature at weekends) and feel that moving it to suit Ken is a huge over-reaction in his favour.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I really like Pick of the Pops. The format means that they have to stick to that year and Paul Gamboccini does a good job of moving things along.

AM9

Veteran Member
I rarely listen to Pick of the Pops anymore for that reason. Even when they feature charts I like the format feels stale. Nowadays I only listen in when my favourite music years are featured, such as 1968, 1978 or 1981.

I sometimes listen to the Top 10 at 10 on Greatest Hits Radio if off work for the morning. However, I have no intention of listening when it moves to 9.00 or to Ken for that matter. I enjoy the feature with Mark Goodier (and note that he will be continuing that feature at weekends) and feel that moving it to suit Ken is a huge over-reaction in his favour.
It's certainly not an over reaction! Making space for Ken is to capitalise on his aquisition, hopefully bringing many of his disenfranchised R2 listeners over. GHR is paying more for him than any other presenter because of his popularity.

AM9

Veteran Member
I really like it.
Then you are free to listen to it - as long as the BBC thinks that it doesn't depress their listening figures. I shalll make a point of listening to KB on Monday to see how the move has changed his presentation style or content. After a couple of weeks, it should be interesting to compare the relative audience figures.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Then you are free to listen to it - as long as the BBC thinks that it doesn't depress their listening figures. I shalll make a point of listening to KB on Monday to see how the move has changed his presentation style or content. After a couple of weeks, it should be interesting to compare the relative audience figures.
Do you really think that Ken Bruce's presentation style will have changed after >40 years? TBF, he's 71. He was on 385k with the BBC; the press reckons he's going for 500k so it's one last big payday, and no one can begrudge him for that.

Now how many will move across? Chris Evans had about 9m listeners on BBC2 and that's dropped to 7.3m with Zoe Ball (neither my faves) but of those, how many followed him to Virgin? He's got a million listeners so he's probably taken about 500k with him (they had listeners before him) and the others have also gone elsewhere. So yes, some people will go across though more will probably stay with R2.

ps not convinced by Ten to the Top despite Gary Davies's best efforts. TBH, I'd have had Gary Davies take over from KB though better if Ken could've stayed. Better to have Vernon Kay replace Zoe Ball. Just a shame Jeremy Vine is still there... could've kept Steve Wright and put Scott Mills at lunchtime

pps I actually do like Pick of the Pops and the format is exactly what makes it work for me, and actually quite like Rylan's show whilst Liza Tarbuck is absolutely bat**** crazy (in a good way)

AM9

Veteran Member
Do you really think that Ken Bruce's presentation style will have changed after >40 years? TBF, he's 71. He was on 385k with the BBC; the press reckons he's going for 500k so it's one last big payday, and no one can begrudge him for that.

Now how many will move across? Chris Evans had about 9m listeners on BBC2 and that's dropped to 7.3m with Zoe Ball (neither my faves) but of those, how many followed him to Virgin? He's got a million listeners so he's probably taken about 500k with him (they had listeners before him) and the others have also gone elsewhere. So yes, some people will go across though more will probably stay with R2.

ps not convinced by Ten to the Top despite Gary Davies's best efforts. TBH, I'd have had Gary Davies take over from KB though better if Ken could've stayed. Better to have Vernon Kay replace Zoe Ball. Just a shame Jeremy Vine is still there... could've kept Steve Wright and put Scott Mills at lunchtime

pps I actually do like Pick of the Pops and the format is exactly what makes it work for me, and actually quite like Rylan's show whilst Liza Tarbuck is absolutely bat**** crazy (in a good way)
Ken will have to deal with regular ad breaks (which is a big disincentive for many ex-radio 2 listeners) and work from a much more limited playlist. GHR will treat him with kid gloves at first but he will inevitably be required to conform to the station style, (Simon Mayo has certainly changed from his earlier BBC drivetime style).

tbtc

Veteran Member
Now how many will move across? Chris Evans had about 9m listeners on BBC2 and that's dropped to 7.3m with Zoe Ball (neither my faves) but of those, how many followed him to Virgin? He's got a million listeners so he's probably taken about 500k with him (they had listeners before him) and the others have also gone elsewhere. So yes, some people will go across though more will probably stay with R2

That seems a balanced way of looking at it

Despite the constant promotion in the Murdoch press, Chris Evans probably took about 10% of his old listeners to his new station… puts some of the earlier posts in this thread into some context

dosxuk

Established Member
Just a shame Jeremy Vine is still there... could've kept Steve Wright and put Scott Mills at lunchtime

IIRC the Jeremy Vine show covers the station's remit for daily current affairs programming, so even if you got rid of Vine himself, a very similar programme would have to be broadcast in it's place.

guilbert

Ten to the top just feels like a naff copy to me. I think they'd have been better not having any quiz for now and developing something different entirely. I wonder if keeping it at 1030 will remind people they could change over to GHR for the real thing.

lachlan

I transferred from 1 to 2 with Scott Mills (though already listened to Steve at times too). In my experience of Bauer radio there’s far too many ads, the playlist is too small and doesn’t change enough, and the DJs don’t get much time to speak after the ads and competitions they have to plug. I’ll move between BBC stations but don’t think I’ll bother listening to Ken on commercial radio

A0wen

On Moderation
Ken will have to deal with regular ad breaks (which is a big disincentive for many ex-radio 2 listeners) and work from a much more limited playlist. GHR will treat him with kid gloves at first but he will inevitably be required to conform to the station style, (Simon Mayo has certainly changed from his earlier BBC drivetime style).

Bit in bold - I don't think that's either fair or true. GHR has a surprisingly wide playlist and presenters like Simon Mayo seem to get even more latitude.

I had this debate with somebody else a couple of weeks ago at about 5 pm, where they stated GHR's was "bland top 10 hits from the 80s" compared to R2 - here was my reply to them:

Right - the tracks its played in the last hour include:

OMD - Electricity
The Adventures - Broken Land
The Cars - Just what I needed
Elvis Presley - Hound Dog
Jackson 5 - I want you back
Tears for Fears - Everybody wants to rule the world
Emotions - Best of my love
Stevie Wonder - Masterblaster

Not exactly "bland Top 10 hits from the 1980s".

And infinitely better than Radio 2's offering this afternoon which has included such delights as

Haddaway - What is love
Lizzo - Special
TLC - No Scrubs
Jason Derulo & David Guetta - Saturday, Sunday
Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now
Katy Perry - Roar

Jamiescott1

Bit in bold - I don't think that's either fair or true. GHR has a surprisingly wide playlist and presenters like Simon Mayo seem to get even more latitude.

I had this debate with somebody else a couple of weeks ago at about 5 pm, where they stated GHR's was "bland top 10 hits from the 80s" compared to R2 - here was my reply to them:

OMD - Electricity

And infinitely better than Radio 2's offering this afternoon which has included such delights as

Haddaway - What is love
Lizzo - Special
TLC - No Scrubs
Katy Perry - Roar
Music is subjective and id much rather listen to radio 2s offering than what's posted above about ghr

A0wen

On Moderation
Music is subjective and id much rather listen to radio 2s offering than what's posted above about ghr

There's no accounting for taste.

That said the point was whether or not GHR has a more limited playlist than R2 - and there's not much evidence to support that claim.

AM9

Veteran Member

OMD - Electricity

Haddaway - What is love
Lizzo - Special
TLC - No Scrubs
Katy Perry - Roar
That GHR list still looks like drive-time music. Maybe Ken will get a wider choice for a 10:00 - 13:00 slot which doesn't necessarily mean 'Greatest Hits'.

A0wen

On Moderation
That GHR list still looks like drive-time music. Maybe Ken will get a wider choice for a 10:00 - 13:00 slot which doesn't necessarily mean 'Greatest Hits'.

Well it depends what you expect.

Mercifully it won't be dance, rap, house or modern RnB which seems to pollute Radio 1, 1xtra, 1 Dance, Radio 2 and 6 Music. For an organisation which has an obsession about diversity, it manages to show a remarkable lack of diversity when it comes to popular music output.

A0wen

On Moderation
Bring Tony Blackburn back to a daily Monday-Friday morning slot.
He may be knocking on a bit, but he’s still the best…..

Knocking on a bit is putting it politely - he was 80 in January !

But I agree - a very capable broadcaster who has long been a promoter and supporter of soul music.

I'm old enough to remember Tony Blackburn on Radio 1, BBC Radio London and then Capital Gold - always playing decent music. And he was a superb presenter for Pick of the Pops.

Last edited:

dangie

Established Member
Bring Tony Blackburn back to a daily Monday-Friday morning slot.
He may be knocking on a bit, but he’s still the best…..

But I agree - a very capable broadcaster who has long been a promoter and supporter of soul music.
To me a good radio presenter is not necessarily what they play, as in the main the radio station will have a playlist. What sets one presenter above another is their patter between records. Tony Blackburn has always been one of the best.

AM9

Veteran Member

I'm old enough to remember Tony Blackburn on Radio 1, BBC Radio London and then Capital Gold - always playing decent music. And he was a superb presenter for Pick of the Pops.
I remember him on Radio London, (the one moored off Frinton), but not Radio Caroline, - their sound quality was just rubbish.

Intercity110

On Moderation
PopMaster is going to be a tv programme on channel 4 according to the BBC. PopMaster: Ken Bruce music quiz to become TV show on Channel 4
PopMaster, the radio quiz hosted by Ken Bruce for more than two decades, is to be made into a TV programme on Channel 4, the network has announced.
The presenter, 72, has fronted the quiz on both BBC Radio 2, which he left last month, and his new station Greatest Hits Radio.
In a statement, Bruce said he is looking forward to seeing if he has a "face for TV".
He will host six hour-long episodes for the network's spin-off channel More 4.
six hour long episodes just seem ludicrous to me, i mean the actual quiz must be 5-10 minutes long.

dangie

Established Member
I still think the 1980’s Pop Quiz on BBC presented by Mike Read was the best pop quiz on television. Straightforward quiz, no spread out flannel taking up time etc. If it came back now the BBC would spoil it like they have with A Question of Sport.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I still think the 1980’s Pop Quiz on BBC presented by Mike Read was the best pop quiz on television. Straightforward quiz, no spread out flannel taking up time etc. If it came back now the BBC would spoil it like they have with A Question of Sport.
I used to enjoy Pop Quiz. Its brief reprise some years ago had turned it into some sort of comedy quiz.
I hope this new show has members of the public as contestants and not the Z list celebrities that appear on other quiz shows.

nw1

Established Member

I had this debate with somebody else a couple of weeks ago at about 5 pm, where they stated GHR's was "bland top 10 hits from the 80s"
In fact a bit of an oxymoron there, IMO. Probably giving away my generation, admittedly.
compared to R2 - here was my reply to them:

OMD - Electricity
I haven't listened to GHR but looking at that sample I am tempted. A lot of variety and nothing really dodgy. It looks like "Radio 2 circa 2010", if you know what I mean.

I really like Pick of the Pops. The format means that they have to stick to that year and Paul Gamboccini does a good job of moving things along.
Generally I do, though I find that for the most recent years, they can sometimes focus over-much on obscure songs which entered high, fell fast and which many people (at a guess) have forgotten now.

dangie

Established Member
I used to enjoy Pop Quiz. Its brief reprise some years ago had turned it into some sort of comedy quiz.
I hope this new show has members of the public as contestants and not the Z list celebrities that appear on other quiz shows.
Yes, these shows which have ‘celebrities’ as contestants only succeed in showing off the ‘celebrities’ lack of talent. The time given to the actual quiz is very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.