• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lapford station in N gauge.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Thanks for that Mr Bridge. Still lots of stuff to do on it as I say, but it’s nice to have something to tinker with when you’ve got a couple of hours.
I bought myself a cheap little spray gun the other day so that I can start weathering the track etc.

Probably going to have opportunities a plenty over the coming weeks, months, year? o_O

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Probably going to have opportunities a plenty over the coming weeks, months, year? o_O
You’d think so but there’s an inordinate amount of DIY to do at home! I reckon I’ll get some time on it though and there’s no hurry.
Paul’s railway that we’ve also been preparing for the show season isn’t such an important job now either so at least we’ll have time to do it properly.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just had to unlock my own thread because it’s been so long since I updated it!
I don’t know why I just paused at the point I got to and didn’t finish what I started, but in the spirit of everyone else doing it I thought I’d better do a little Christmas advent thing for the last week before the 25th myself. I’ll also do a bit of a railway update this week too.
Here we go then for the 18th.

Starting with the most humble. One Bubble Car bouncing...

BFDE5E03-B742-4E34-A30B-11B9AA0FB74B.jpeg

It’s actually a Dapol dummy one that runs with tomorrow’s entry. It’s chipped, weathered by me, and I’ve also added a bit of pipe work to one end.
I used to catch that unit home when I lived in Topsham so I had to have it. :)

Peter C

Established Member
I just had to unlock my own thread because it’s been so long since I updated it!
I don’t know why I just paused at the point I got to and didn’t finish what I started, but in the spirit of everyone else doing it I thought I’d better do a little Christmas advent thing for the last week before the 25th myself. I’ll also do a bit of a railway update this week too.
Here we go then for the 18th.

Starting with the most humble. One Bubble Car bouncing...

View attachment 87277

It’s actually a Dapol dummy one that runs with tomorrow’s entry. It’s chipped, weathered by me, and I’ve also added a bit of pipe work to one end.
I used to catch that unit home when I lived in Topsham so I had to have it. :)
I was actually going to ask about this thread a short while ago - I'd wondered what had happened! Nice to see updates again (although I've been following the 'projects on the go' thread).
That unit looks really smart - and really cool with the weathering. It's the kind of thing I think of when I hear 'British Rail' - blue and grey, older unit, bit dirty! I can relate to why you got it - a few of my engines have come from times when I've seen/been on the real thing and wanted my own little version.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was actually going to ask about this thread a short while ago - I'd wondered what had happened! Nice to see updates again (although I've been following the 'projects on the go' thread).
That unit looks really smart - and really cool with the weathering. It's the kind of thing I think of when I hear 'British Rail' - blue and grey, older unit, bit dirty! I can relate to why you got it - a few of my engines have come from times when I've seen/been on the real thing and wanted my own little version.

-Peter
Thanks Peter. You’re right about BR as well! :lol:

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks Peter. You’re right about BR as well! :lol:
Haha :) There's something about BR Blue Grey which I find quite interesting. I also really like NSE, hence having an NSE station on my layout!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And for the 19th

One Bog Cart rattling... It’s my Farish 2 car Class 108, pictured coupled up to the Bubble Car on an Exmouth to Barnstaple working in 1990. Next stop Eggesford...
This one was weathered by TMC and I’ve fitted pipes to the non coupling end.

4F77CACD-A630-4296-8994-CF9F0C1233F9.jpeg

We ended up with a motley collection of DMUs back in those days due to the batch of 142s (Skippers) being entirely unsuitable for the Cornish branch lines. I went away one week sometime around 1987/88 and by the time I got back all the 142s had disappeared, replaced by this kind of thing.
I must admit that we were pretty pleased.

reddragon

Established Member
Those DMUs look quite good for N gauge.

Did 108s ever operate in the south? I know there is a NSE livery 108 but I didn't think they left the north

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes we had 101s, 108s and Bubble Cars on all the Devon and Cornwall branch lines in the 1987 to mid 1990s era after the original 142s but before we started getting 150s, one class 108 spectacularly burst into flames on Rattray near Totnes one day, this photo is from the Totnes Fire Station site:

9F8E803C-69DD-483C-A529-917F68879821.jpeg

It’s the 20th and it’s advent time again.

This is my Farish Railfreight 47, again typical for the line in that era. It sometimes gets turfed out on the Exeter spare set for a run to Barnstaple and back when a DMU has packed up too...
Today it’s picking up a couple of wagons loaded with fertiliser.
It’s weathered and has some extra detail on the bufferbeam, all done by me this time.

084929A4-D797-4803-A79C-C0986984B648.jpeg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
N gauge models are probably at the quality level of 1980-90s OO gauge now
Having had both I’d say that they’re definitely better than that, certainly as far as the mechanisms go but also the way that they’re fast catching up in detail.
That 47 is quite an old model now but the 31 I’ve ordered looks very well detailed and would give a 00 one a run for its money probably.
Just wish they were half the price considering they’re half the size. :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can't remember if I've ever asked Mr C, but what number is your 121 bubble car?
It’s W55030/T014 Mr Bridge, thinking about it though I’m not entirely certain it was a Laira based one because its got a Tyseley number on it. We did have them down here with the black windscreen surrounds though.
I will never tire of seeing that picture of sprintermeister's finest hour!

Yes I actually thought about mentioning that.
For those that are wondering about the reference he’s a moderator on wnxx, it’s probably fair to say that his shift turned out to be slightly more exciting than he hoped when he signed on that day... o_O

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Like you I'm not certain on more recent times either but I can guarantee it was originally a WR allocated unit as I've seen a shot of it at Padstow on a service to/from Bodmin Road in January 1967 so potentially it could have seen use on the North Devon line at least during its earlier years of service?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Like you I'm not certain on more recent times either but I can guarantee it was originally a WR allocated unit as I've seen a shot of it at Padstow on a service to/from Bodmin Road in January 1967 so potentially it could have seen use on the North Devon line at least during its earlier years of service?
I could well imagine that. Would they have worked on the line through Meeth?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It’s W55030/T014 Mr Bridge, thinking about it though I’m not entirely certain it was a Laira based one because its got a Tyseley number on it. We did have them down here with the black windscreen surrounds though.
My Longworth book has W55030 as Reading in 1972, 1980 and 1985 and as Old Oak Common in 1988 and 1990. All with unit number L130.

Edit - also Reading based in 1965 but no unit number is given.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My Longworth book has W55030 as Reading in 1972, 1980 and 1985 and as Old Oak Common in 1988 and 1990. All with unit number L130.

Edit - also Reading based in 1965 but no unit number is given.

You do realise that I’ve had to go and unpack it from the box to check what it’s actually numbered now..?
It was in the second layer down (some might call it Tier 2 ;)), but anyway here’s a zoomed in photo showing W55030:

990E5868-5C85-4474-A03E-C361EDBBE2EB.jpeg

The front has T014:

C0291A5A-B059-4F86-85B6-425108718917.jpeg

But the book shows 55030 listed as L130:

90D99EBD-A22C-480C-B6B4-172AA8EA0D19.jpeg

And T014 should actually be Tyseley based 55034:

020CA713-4963-4146-B28E-CD17D81D8DA8.jpeg

Well that’s it. Christmas is ruined as far as I’m concerned.
Heads need to roll here... ;)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You do realise that I’ve had to go and unpack it from the box to check what it’s actually numbered now..?
It was in the second layer down (some might call it Tier 2 ;)), but anyway here’s a zoomed in photo showing W55030:

View attachment 87398

The front has T014:

View attachment 87399

View attachment 87400

View attachment 87401

It's a dapol issue. I've got powered W55032 with T014 plus I've got dummy W55030 also with T014

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's a dapol issue. I've got powered W55032 with T014 plus I've got dummy W55030 also with T014
That’s a bit poor isn’t it? Dapol do some strange things sometimes, I think I’m going to live with it because I don’t exactly fancy renumbering it Matt. :s

hexagon789

Veteran Member

View attachment 87398

The front has T014:

View attachment 87399

View attachment 87400

View attachment 87401

At least you'd only have to change one number, I've some Lima ScotRail Mk2Ds which are numbered as vehicles which don't even exist!

They were cheap though, so I've few qualms about using them as testers for detailing/weathering

That’s a bit poor isn’t it? Dapol do some strange things sometimes, I think I’m going to live with it because I don’t exactly fancy renumbering it Matt. :s
Lots of the model companies do odd things at times, but I would agree re changing the numbers - not something I particularly relish either, but in my case very necessary.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I could well imagine that. Would they have worked on the line through Meeth?

Blimey what did I start? Wish I hadn't asked that question now!;)

Every shot I've seen depicting Halwill-Torrington services during the dmu era seems to show a class 122 Gloucester RCW bubble car in use, but surely the 121s must have also worked the line too as they were as common on Bude and North Cornwall Line services as the 122s were.

Peter C

Established Member
Yes we had 101s, 108s and Bubble Cars on all the Devon and Cornwall branch lines in the 1987 to mid 1990s era after the original 142s but before we started getting 150s, one class 108 spectacularly burst into flames on Rattray near Totnes one day, this photo is from the Totnes Fire Station site:

View attachment 87389

It’s the 20th and it’s advent time again.

This is my Farish Railfreight 47, again typical for the line in that era. It sometimes gets turfed out on the Exeter spare set for a run to Barnstaple and back when a DMU has packed up too...
Today it’s picking up a couple of wagons loaded with fertiliser.
It’s weathered and has some extra detail on the bufferbeam, all done by me this time.

View attachment 87390
That 47 looks really good @Cowley - it's in the same livery 47376, which is the one I'm going to paint my 47 into (bar the Railfreight logo). I'm always impressed with the amount of detail in N gauge models and this is no exception. The detailing on the layout is brilliant as well: I've just been scrolling through the 'projects on the go' thread and it's reminded me of the detail you've added to your layout. :)

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Blimey what did I start? Wish I hadn't asked that question now!;)

Every shot I've seen depicting Halwill-Torrington services during the dmu era seems to show a class 122 Gloucester RCW bubble car in use, but surely the 121s must have also worked the line too as they were as common on Bude and North Cornwall Line services as the 122s were.

Well you are the West Country branch line library Mr Bridge. ;)
Incidentally I just noticed how badly I spelt ‘Rattery’ in the post you quoted. Slightly embarrassing...

That 47 looks really good @Cowley - it's in the same livery 47376, which is the one I'm going to paint my 47 into (bar the Railfreight logo). I'm always impressed with the amount of detail in N gauge models and this is no exception. The detailing on the layout is brilliant as well: I've just been scrolling through the 'projects on the go' thread and it's reminded me of the detail you've added to your layout. :)

-Peter

Thanks Peter. I always thought that the 47s looked nice in that livery and I’ve got quite a few photos of them in that scheme picking up and dropping off wagons in the yard.
I might get a banger blue one at some point, I’m trying to find a photo of one with snowploughs on the branch but no joy yet unfortunately.

It’s the 21st and the goose is getting fat...

This is Dapol 33102 in good old work stained BR blue:

EC543681-A7AA-4C9C-91C1-A956352E156F.jpeg

I’ve weathered it, added the pipes and the rubbing plate to the front and even managed to fit it with a non working buckeye (which believe me was not easy).
It was the first model I bought for the line and it’s still one of my favourites.

Here’s a shot of it running around the log train before heading back to Exeter Riverside:

C547DE2B-76C5-4C64-AD8C-603960FB4DC7.jpeg

I missed yesterday, so here’s the one for Tuesday the 22nd

It’s my Farish class 37 - 37035 in Dutch livery:
F50A2F7E-2FE0-4370-95B4-8A598528C565.jpeg

It’s another loco that was a bit of a favourite as it ended up down here after it left Scotland. I had a run behind it dragging a failed HST from Exeter one day and it looked the absolute business with a full set of snowploughs.
I bought this one off eBay and I’ve weathered it and added the pipes etc to the front (a bit of an obsession of mine).
I also shaved the NEM socket off the front bogie so that I could set the ploughs back further as slotting them into the socket left it looking like it had an underbite.
Fiddly but worth it...

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
I'm liking the look of your stock! The weathering is great for N gauge. I agree ploughs complete the look on many loco's. Your 37 is my favourite so far :)

Peter C

Established Member
Well you are the West Country branch line library Mr Bridge. ;)
Incidentally I just noticed how badly I spelt ‘Rattery’ in the post you quoted. Slightly embarrassing...

Thanks Peter. I always thought that the 47s looked nice in that livery and I’ve got quite a few photos of them in that scheme picking up and dropping off wagons in the yard.
I might get a banger blue one at some point, I’m trying to find a photo of one with snowploughs on the branch but no joy yet unfortunately.

It’s the 21st and the goose is getting fat...

This is Dapol 33102 in good old work stained BR blue:

View attachment 87453

I’ve weathered it, added the pipes and the rubbing plate to the front and even managed to fit it with a non working buckeye (which believe me was not easy).
It was the first model I bought for the line and it’s still one of my favourites.

Here’s a shot of it running around the log train before heading back to Exeter Riverside:

View attachment 87454

I missed yesterday, so here’s the one for Tuesday the 22nd

It’s my Farish class 37 - 37035 in Dutch livery:
View attachment 87557

It’s another loco that was a bit of a favourite as it ended up down here after it left Scotland. I had a run behind it dragging a failed HST from Exeter one day and it looked the absolute business with a full set of snowploughs.
I bought this one off eBay and I’ve weathered it and added the pipes etc to the front (a bit of an obsession of mine).
I also shaved the NEM socket off the front bogie so that I could set the ploughs back further as slotting them into the socket left it looking like it had an underbite.
Fiddly but worth it...
I meant to reply the other day but forgot :)
Those engines both look really nice: the Class 33 really looks the part, as does the Class 37. As @Iskra says, the ploughs just finish the look on the latter loco. The weathering on both engines is really cool especially considering the size of the models.

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks guys that’s much appreciated.
It’s getting close now...

Wednesday the 23rd and Thursday 24th

My new class 31 didn’t arrive in time for Christmas unfortunately so I’m missing one out. This is my other Dapol 33 though - 33008 Eastleigh.
It’s a newer model than 33102 and has a next 18 chip in it.
Another old favourite from back in the day...

51AA404A-A8D6-4FA3-A7FD-F032DB45E548.jpeg

It’s also been weathered by me and had the pipes added, I’ve cut the NEM socket back on one end so that I could fit the snowploughs behind the pipes, but with this one I filed the ploughs down and removed the centre section as the Southern Region fitted smaller ploughs to the 33s to avoid them hitting the 3rd rail.
I love this model.

Here’s a festive shot of it on my friends snowy layout:

9B620B10-64C7-498A-8292-921D24E6985E.jpeg

xotGD

Established Member
Thanks for sharing. Superb work on the layout and the models. So much attention to detail.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for sharing. Superb work on the layout and the models. So much attention to detail.
Thanks. You’re a bit of a connoisseur of that era so I appreciate you saying that.
Have a good Christmas mate.