• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leamington Spa [LMS] - Malton [MLT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi all,
Could someone possibly help me with the conundrum I am having.

Me and my 14 year old friend need to travel to Malton from Leamington Spa on Thursday the 28th of August 2014 and he doesn't want to travel via London. I will not travel on 220s, 221s or 222s at all and I am very reluctant to travel on 142s and 144s. He says that we should travel via Birmingham so by using these timings.

14:25 LMS-BMO 14:59
Walk to BHM.
16:03 BHM-YRK 18:32
18:40 YRK-MLT 19:04
I don't want to risk booking in advance and getting a 220 or 221 on the BHM-YRK part because that is a busload of money down the drain if it is. It is the same on the way back on Sunday.

10:16 MLT-YRK 10:45
11:41 YRK-BHM 14:12
Walk to BMO
14:55 BMO-LMS 15:24.
I need either a refundable advance fare or a fare that is valid on all trains. Please help.

Thanks.

Someone else said this.
Leamington- Malton direct off-peak is £36.50 for a child single. This won't tie you to any trains, but you'll have to check with someone more knowledgeable for what routes are valid- for example, you might not be able to go via Moor Street on it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

34D

Established Member
How old is the OP (or under 16, 16-25, 26-60?).

Will there be a return journey?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
a refundable advance fare

... which do not exist.

Someone else said this.
Leamington- Malton direct off-peak is £36.50 for a child single. This won't tie you to any trains, but you'll have to check with someone more knowledgeable for what routes are valid- for example, you might not be able to go via Moor Street on it.

You are perfectly fine using Chiltern into Moor Street.

The through ticket allows you to travel via Manchester / Warrington. If you go along the more direct route, where splitting opportunities are most likely to exist, I think your options are extremely limited in the event of the XC HSTs not showing up, you can perhaps go from Birmingham, XC 170 to Derby, EMT HST to Sheffield, Northern 158 to Doncaster, EC HST/91 to York, or Northern 158 from Sheffield to Leeds then onwards, but then EMT HSTs are not a common sight on the Sheffield runs via Derby so you will have to work out which ones they are.

You may get away with it taking the XC 170 all the way to Nottingham, and then using an EMT 158/156 or Northern 158 to Sheffield. The route is no longer valid however I think chances are that you will not be challenged going via Nottingham.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
He's under 16.
... which do not exist.
Except on Southern (not applicable here) if bought on their website and not collected.;)
Someone else said this.
Leamington- Malton direct off-peak is £36.50 for a child single. This won't tie you to any trains, but you'll have to check with someone more knowledgeable for what routes are valid
Or you can get a return (valid for use within a calendar month) for 50p more!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
He's under 16.

Except on Southern (not applicable here) if bought on their website and not collected.;)

Or you can get a return (valid for use within a calendar month) for 50p more!

£37.00 for a return for 1 child? What are the route restrictions on that?

Also with the Leamington Spa-Malton would that be valid on a Leamington Spa-Birmingham Moor Street on a 67 and then walk to New Street for a 170 to Peterborough for a HST/91 to York?
Many thanks.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Will there be a return journey?

Sorry, there will be a return as posted.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Also with the Leamington Spa-Malton would that be valid on a Leamington Spa-Birmingham Moor Street on a 67

Please see what I have already said. The answer is yes.

and then walk to New Street for a 170 to Peterborough for a HST/91 to York?

No. Valid via Leicester/Derby only.
If you use the through ticket, the alternative is going via the WCML, so for example, from New Street, LM 350 to Crewe, Virgin 390/ATW 175/150/158/Northern 323 to Manchester, TPE 185/170 to York and onwards, or Virgin 390 to Warrington, walk to Central and then TPE 185 to Manchester/York and onwards.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Please see what I have already said. The answer is yes.

No. Valid via Leicester/Derby only.
If you use the through ticket, the alternative is going via the WCML, so for example, from New Street, LM 350 to Crewe, Virgin 390/ATW 175/150/158/Northern 323 to Manchester, TPE 185/170 to York and onwards, or Virgin 390 to Warrington, walk to Central and then TPE 185 to Manchester/York and onwards.

Ok then, My friend and me want another loco than the 67 so
would it be ok if with from Birmingham New Street to do a 170 to Nottingham for a 158 to Grantham for a HST/91 to York and so on?
Thanks.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
would it be ok if with from Birmingham New Street to do a 170 to Nottingham for a 158 to Grantham for a HST/91 to York and so on?
Thanks.

Sorry - that's not a permitted route:

No route available on maps RM+MN. Off route at TAM (Tamworth)
No route available on maps RY. Off route at DBY (Derby)

As you can see from RY above, you've got to go on the stretch of line between Derby and Sheffield if you choose to go that way. Otherwise you're looking at routes on maps RM+MN.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I have decided to do this.

28th August 2014 (Thursday and getting to Malton)

11:22 Leamington Spa-London Marylebone 12:32 (Chiltern Mainline 67)
14:00 London Kings Cross-York 15:51 (East Coast HST)
16:40 York-Malton 17:04 (First Transpennine Express 185)

31st August 2014 (Sunday going back home)

13:16 Malton-York 13:41 (First Transpennine Express 185)
14:59 York-London Kings Cross 16:52 (East Coast HST)
Tube to London Marylebone
18:06 London Marylebone-Leamington Spa 19:23 (Chiltern Mainline 67)

Please give me the best prices for 2 children on these tickets, reservations fine.

Romilly

Established Member
Travel on your proposed trains, especially on 31st August, is going to be expensive.

If you are prepared to be flexible, then for the outward journey there are Advance (i.e. booked train only) tickets as follows (prices for 2 children):

Leamington - Marylebone
£12 on 1046 arrive 1208
£9 on 1122 arrive 1234 (but too tight for comfort if getting 1308 from Kings X)

Kings X - Malton
£13.80 on 1308 arrive York 1530, depart York 1540, arrive Malton 1604 (to get this fare on the East Coast website I had to opt to go to Timetables and then ask for trains calling at Grantham, and it had only two tickets left at this price for this itinerary). The ticket comes with reservations for both legs, so rules out spending time at York station. I didn't manage to generate the same price by using the text only version of the EC website and opting for extended interchange times.

I will leave someone else to suggest something for coming back, although as yet there are no Advance tickets between London and Leamington on the 31st, but someone may know if that is because their release is awaiting final decisions on engineering works.

If spending time at York station is important, a pair of child Advances Kings X-York on the 1308 would be £13, but then York-Malton would cost £8.90 rather than 80p.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Travel on your proposed trains, especially on 31st August, is going to be expensive.

If you are prepared to be flexible, then for the outward journey there are Advance (i.e. booked train only) tickets as follows (prices for 2 children):

Leamington - Marylebone
£12 on 1046 arrive 1208
£9 on 1122 arrive 1234 (but too tight for comfort if getting 1308 from Kings X)

Kings X - Malton
£13.80 on 1308 arrive York 1530, depart York 1540, arrive Malton 1604 (to get this fare on the East Coast website I had to opt to go to Timetables and then ask for trains calling at Grantham, and it had only two tickets left at this price for this itinerary). The ticket comes with reservations for both legs, so rules out spending time at York station. I didn't manage to generate the same price by using the text only version of the EC website and opting for extended interchange times.

I will leave someone else to suggest something for coming back, although as yet there are no Advance tickets between London and Leamington on the 31st, but someone may know if that is because their release is awaiting final decisions on engineering works.

If spending time at York station is important, a pair of child Advances Kings X-York on the 1308 would be £13, but then York-Malton would cost £8.90 rather than 80p.

Ok then, But the problem is after doing the 11:22 from Leamington Spa-London Marylebone, We will only have about half an hour to transfer across London. I don't really mind about spending time at York so that I don't car about but would it be better to go on the 11:23 from Rugby to London Euston, because I won't travel on a class 168 from Leamington to London Marylebone, mainly because London Marylebone is one of my loco only stations.

I guess on the way up we could do the following.

11:23 Rugby-London Euston 12:15 (VT 390)
Tube to London Kings Cross
13:08 London Kings Cross-York 15:30 (EC HST)
15:40 York-Malton 16:04 (TPE 185)

Also is the £13.80 a joke? :lol:

£13.80 for 2 children on the 13:08 KGX-YRK for the 15:40 YRK-MLT.

How much would going into Euston cost? Thanks,

Fishquinn.
From what I have found I think the cheapest on going from Rugby to London Euston on the 11:23 for 2 children is £7.50. Can anyone prove me wrong? I don't want to travel on London Midland.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
From what I have found I think the cheapest on going from Rugby to London Euston on the 11:23 for 2 children is £7.50. Can anyone prove me wrong? I don't want to travel on London Midland.

Yes, looking at other trains, I think £7.50 is as cheap as you will likely get. It is also the lowest tier of Advance fare for travel with Virgin on that route.

Romilly

Established Member
Also is the £13.80 a joke?

£13.80 for 2 children on the 13:08 KGX-YRK for the 15:40 YRK-MLT.

No it's not a joke, just the last two (i.e. book very quick if you want them) lowest-tier Advances on an East Coast train that terminates at York. But were you expecting it to be more or less? A Kings X-York Advance for two children on the 1400 on 28th August would be £65.70. That's why I was suggesting that it might pay to be slightly flexible.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ok then. Thanks.Any help on the return would be much appreciated, bearing in mind that I want a HST both ways as I still have a lot of the East Coast ones needed and not many 91s. Also I would prefer a HST.

Romilly

Established Member
For coming back, a pair of Malton-Peterborough advances for:

Malton 1316
York 1341
York 1423
Peterboro 1537

would be a total of £21.10 (the 1316 seems to offer the cheapest tickets around that time)

A pair of advances for Peterboro-Kings X on the same train (i.e. Peterboro 1540, KGX 1632) would be a total of £13.20. Splitting in this way is cheaper than the Malton-KGX advances.

But ... a pair of Peterboro-Leamington advances would be a total of £7.80 for the following:

Peterboro 1553
Melton Mowbray 1638

Bus: Melton Mowbray 1645, Leicester 1725

Leicester 1750
Birmingham New St 1839

Birmingham New St 1904
Leamington 1937

That may, or may not, be your idea of fun!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thanks Romily, By doing it via Leicester why not just do a 170 direct to New Street on one of the Stansted airport to Birmingham New Street trains?

Maybe, in order to get a HST in do the 13:59 EC service to London Kings Cross and book in advance.

My trip would be like this then I guess.
Based on 2 child.
Rugby-London Euston£7.50 advance
Tube-London Kings Cross
London Kings Cross-Malton £13.80 advance

Malton-York £8.90 (Ching) pay on day
York-London Kings Cross £37.70 advance
Tube-London Marylebone
London Marylebone-Leamington Spa £28.80 Super off peak day return (No advance yet)

Any cheaper, thanks.
Please could you tell me how to make the Malton-York bit on the return cheaper?

Thank you.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is no need to bump threads. In fact, we do not normally allow thread-bumping.

If there is no alternative suggestion, that usually means there isn't any that forum members can think of. Malton - York probably falls into that category, unfortunately.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There is no need to bump threads. In fact, we do not normally allow thread-bumping.

If there is no alternative suggestion, that usually means there isn't any that forum members can think of. Malton - York probably falls into that category, unfortunately.

Sorry,
Does that mean that my idea is pretty good.

Can someone tell me if I went via Leicester and Peterborough why I would need to get a bus from Melton Mowbray to Leicester instead of a 170.

Thanks.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Status
Not open for further replies.