• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leaving one train company for another

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
If you were planning on leaving one TOC for another (never mind the role) and got asked at the interview the obvious question of why what would a good answer be?

Career progression? New routes and traction?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A-driver

Established Member
If you were planning on leaving one TOC for another (never mind the role) and got asked at the interview the obvious question of why what would a good answer be?

Depends on the specifics of the situation and job role really, no easy answer. If the pay is more then that's a fair reason to give, if you are moving to a location closer to home then that's an obvious and very good reason to give, if (more specific to drivers) moving from a suburban to intercity operator then type of work/"career progression" would be fair enough.

You need to be careful you aren't giving the impression you are moving because you are bored in your current TOC as that will lead the new lot to believe you may get bored there after a few years as well.

When I moved many, many years ago I was asked this and I gave the reason as being closer to home (would no longer need to drive a car to work every day). That was pretty much the truth to. The DMs interviewing me were fine with that.

The people interviewing you are not stupid and if you are a train driver moving to a TOC closer to home, paying more, seen as having better work than your current employer or with better T&Cs then they will know exactly why you are moving without asking so honesty may be best (you don't want to make them cringe by telling them how you are moving from South west trains to southeastern as you believe SE are a 'premier train operator' and see it as a promotion and have always had ambitions to represent such a fantastic TOC by driving their trains)...

Established Member
Looking to not wear any pink or horrid lilac :)

TDK

Established Member

All depends on role and location

387star

On Moderation
Depends on the specifics of the situation and job role really, no easy answer. If the pay is more then that's a fair reason to give, if you are moving to a location closer to home then that's an obvious and very good reason to give, if (more specific to drivers) moving from a suburban to intercity operator then type of work/"career progression" would be fair enough.

You need to be careful you aren't giving the impression you are moving because you are bored in your current TOC as that will lead the new lot to believe you may get bored there after a few years as well.

When I moved many, many years ago I was asked this and I gave the reason as being closer to home (would no longer need to drive a car to work every day). That was pretty much the truth to. The DMs interviewing me were fine with that.

The people interviewing you are not stupid and if you are a train driver moving to a TOC closer to home, paying more, seen as having better work than your current employer or with better T&Cs then they will know exactly why you are moving without asking so honesty may be best (you don't want to make them cringe by telling them how you are moving from South west trains to southeastern as you believe SE are a 'premier train operator' and see it as a promotion and have always had ambitions to represent such a fantastic TOC by driving their trains)...

This is actually very true at one interview I talked some of the spiel I had read and it went over a bit like a lead balloon I don't think they believed in the corporate stuff and saw it as empty language

To be specific how about a guard moving to a different TOC to drive trains the obvious question is why not stay where you are how do you get round that?

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
This is actually very true at one interview I talked some of the spiel I had read and it went over a bit like a lead balloon I don't think they believed in the corporate stuff and saw it as empty language

To be specific how about a guard moving to a different TOC to drive trains the obvious question is why not stay where you are how do you get round that?

Once again it depends on your location and the location of the depot

Failed Unit

Established Member

Does you current TOC have any vacancies, if it doesn't then that is the honest and easy answer.

TDK

Established Member
Does you current TOC have any vacancies, if it doesn't then that is the honest and easy answer.

You will also need to persuade the interviewer that you won't apply once qualified back at your old TOC

Dave1987

On Moderation
If you want to change depots or change stations you work at within your current TOC let alone transfer TOCs there will be a pretty significant reason as it is not easy to change depots within your current TOC let alone transferring TOCs so I fail to see how there is a "good" reason for doing so. Each person that does so has their reasons and there could be many many reasons for that. None could really be considered more valid than others.

Aictos

Established Member
Would not a simple I wanted to progress in my career and face new challenges not be acceptable?

A-driver

Established Member
Would not a simple I wanted to progress in my career and face new challenges not be acceptable?

It wiuld, but I think most interviewser would wonder what challenges a driver would face at London midland that they didn't face on children etc...

TDK

Established Member

No unfortunately not, you need to remember if someone is moving TOC's to get a drivers role, lets say from a guards they need to say more than progressing their career. Many guards will apply for drivers' jobs and not get the role with their own company for whatever reason, it could be anything, then they go to another TOC that knows the original company have recruited and refused them employment as a driver? This certainly does not look good at interview. Don't get me wrong many people have applied and gained employment from a guards role to a drivers by switching TOC's but it is by far easier getting the job with the company you work for than another company.

craigybagel

Established Member
No unfortunately not, you need to remember if someone is moving TOC's to get a drivers role, lets say from a guards they need to say more than progressing their career. Many guards will apply for drivers' jobs and not get the role with their own company for whatever reason, it could be anything, then they go to another TOC that knows the original company have recruited and refused them employment as a driver? This certainly does not look good at interview. Don't get me wrong many people have applied and gained employment from a guards role to a drivers by switching TOC's but it is by far easier getting the job with the company you work for than another company.

Plus at our TOC at least I understand that if a guard goes driving they keep their basic guards salary whilst training, instead of being on the trainee drivers salary which is lower. We do have a rule that though that guards can only apply for drivers jobs after serving two years - one way of short circuiting that would be to move TOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.