• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds to Halifax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamzen

Established Member
1) Northern are advertising the trains concerned - there's a replacement timetable (pdf.) Their journey planners are showing the trains from stations west of Halifax running to Halifax and Leeds and indeed for through journeys from Halifax to say London via Leeds. As Arctic Troll says they just haven't issued an easement for journey planners for Halifax to Leeds tickets, so its only Halifax to Leeds journeys that aren't showing.

2) You would hope the bus services leave shortly after the trains, so that passengers from the west for Bradford etc don't face a long wait.

Being a fairly regular passenger on diverted Calder Valley services via Dewsbury, I don't agree that these cause signficant problems - it is perfectly easy for Network Rail to "flight" fast Calder Valley services 2 to 3 minutes after (or before) a TPE service. This is not to say there is spare capacity for useful extra TPE servces, unless you wish to run TPE services at 3 minute intervals. And of course its a Sunday, so there's only 1 stopping service - its the mixture of slow and fast trains that cause problems.

Well either there has been an error, or there is a reason for this. I note that on RTT (and I understand that this data isn't always accurate) there seem to be no paths west through Dewsbury for these (or indeed any other passing westbound service):

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/DEW/2018/03/04/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

So perhaps there is still work ongoing behind the scenes to put in place the details required? To be honest the people best placed to answer this are Northern themselves, has anyone asked them what the situation is?

Edit: And I've just seen this this thread about engineering timetables for the coming weekends, perhaps this might be related?

https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...works-timetables-and-warning-from-orr.160240/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lejog

Established Member
Westbound services are certainly in the database e.g.

2M50 1356 Leeds to Rochdale

although Dewsbury is not shown in the itinerary so the services won't show up in your specific search. Try Morley (which is incuded) instead.

Just another IT blip.

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
Westbound services are certainly in the database e.g.

2M50 1356 Leeds to Rochdale

although Dewsbury is not shown in the itinerary so the services won't show up in your specific search. Try Morley (which is incuded) instead.

Just another IT blip.

Is it an IT blip, or the precursor to a wider problem? Looking at paths through Dewsbury any other day shows the non-stoppers. As a coder, that would have me diving into the code and data to look for a bigger problem, and its effect on other sources feeding from similar data. Either way, a suitable query to Northern might be the best course of action if people are concerned.

Spartacus

Established Member
It's not an IT blip, Dewsbury isn't a mandatory timing point for Westbound services so won't show trains that don't stop in that direction, unless the planner has manually inputted the location. I it is mandatory towards Leeds, due to the presence of the loop, although I think at one time it wasn't, making the timing of services booked to be overtaken there a bit tricky. Morley is a mandatory timing point for both directions.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It's not an IT blip, Dewsbury isn't a mandatory timing point for Westbound services so won't show trains that don't stop in that direction, unless the planner has manually inputted the location. I it is mandatory towards Leeds, due to the presence of the loop, although I think at one time it wasn't, making the timing of services booked to be overtaken there a bit tricky. Morley is a mandatory timing point for both directions.

Fair enough, then maybe it is an oversight that Northern need making aware of.

lejog

Established Member
Thanks for the clarification, I've learnt one useful thing today!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well either there has been an error, or there is a reason for this...
It is rare for engineering works to have easements in place in order to permit the full range of normally permitted journeys, ready for when reservations are available, if at all.

Yes it does sometimes happen, but if you look at the list of temporary easements and compare it to the diversions occurring on any particular day, it is clear that only a minority are catered for. And these tend to be reactionary, after people have reported problems trying to book.

It wastes a lot of time when confused passengers contact retailers, whose helpdesks are also puzzled, who then have to refer the matter on to be investigated by someone who has to spend time investigating why itineraries are not being offered.

Yes you could argue that the industry should be more proactive in arranging for easements, but it's just not going to happen in many cases. Therefore it is unacceptable that tickets are restricted in this manner; doing so will result in passengers being unable to purchase fares from booking sites. This is unfair on passengers who buy online and it is unfair on online retailers

The "Any permitted" routeings should not be abolished and replaced with more restrictive routeings in my opinion.

lejog

Established Member
Is it an IT blip, or the precursor to a wider problem? Looking at paths through Dewsbury any other day shows the non-stoppers. As a coder, that would have me diving into the code and data to look for a bigger problem, and its effect on other sources feeding from similar data. Either way, a suitable query to Northern might be the best course of action if people are concerned.

I've only just seen this, I'm not at all concerned. I'm quite satisfied that the services not appearing in Northern journey planners for Halifax to Leeds journeys ONLY is due to Northern's relatively recent and sloppy introduction .of a via Bradford restriction for Halifax to Leeds journeys ONLY. As far as I can see, you are the only poster on this thread that is corncerned enough to come up with theories such as deliberate non-publication of times due to possible cancellations, claiming services do not appear in industry databases when they do etc.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Knowing how these sort of things generally (don’t) work, I wouldn’t be surprised if Northern’s short-term timetable planning department are blissfully unaware of a new ticketing restriction imposed by the Fares department, and didn’t realise there would be any problems. This tends to be the root of these kinds of issues!

Mathew S

Established Member
The National Rail Enquiries website states on the Northern 'Future Engineering Work' list for 4th March that for both the Bradford works, and the Manchester - Preston works, Northern train information has not yet been added to the journey planner. Less than ideal, certainly, but I wonder if perhaps there might be some piffling little timetabling conundrum that Northern are having to wrestle with at the moment which could be causing problems...

I'm sure that it will be in the journey planners, with appropriate fare easements and all the rest of it, as soon as they can manage it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Knowing how these sort of things generally (don’t) work, I wouldn’t be surprised if Northern’s short-term timetable planning department are blissfully unaware of a new ticketing restriction imposed by the Fares department, and didn’t realise there would be any problems. This tends to be the root of these kinds of issues!
Exactly, and a lack of being proactive.
I'm sure that it will be in the journey planners, with appropriate fare easements and all the rest of it, as soon as they can manage it.
I'm not so sure. But even if they do (which would only be a as a much belated reaction to people highlighting the issue), there's less than a couple of weeks to go now, so it's unacceptable.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It is rare for engineering works to have easements in place in order to permit the full range of normally permitted journeys, ready for when reservations are available, if at all.

Yes it does sometimes happen, but if you look at the list of temporary easements and compare it to the diversions occurring on any particular day, it is clear that only a minority are catered for. And these tend to be reactionary, after people have reported problems trying to book.

It wastes a lot of time when confused passengers contact retailers, whose helpdesks are also puzzled, who then have to refer the matter on to be investigated by someone who has to spend time investigating why itineraries are not being offered.

Yes you could argue that the industry should be more proactive in arranging for easements, but it's just not going to happen in many cases. Therefore it is unacceptable that tickets are restricted in this manner; doing so will result in passengers being unable to purchase fares from booking sites. This is unfair on passengers who buy online and it is unfair on online retailers

The "Any permitted" routeings should not be abolished and replaced with more restrictive routeings in my opinion.

To be honest ask most punters what they want from ticketing systems is value for money and ease of use. I know you don't agree but the removal of some permitted routes is supposed to make things easier for people to search for and buy tickets. Over the coming years there is going to be a greater emphasis on buying online as various smart ticketing systems roll out, but this has the potential to make things more complex for search engines & as a result more complex for passengers. And whilst some people (I am one of them) are happy to spend time searching through all the options, even looking at split ticketing, most people going from A to B just want to book something quickly and easily. And I'm afraid this will drive the slow but steady removal of little used or obscure permissible routes, even when occasionally they might be used. But as you said earlier in the thread, we'll have to agree to disagree on this. However this situation is why I asked if anyone had actually asked Northern about it, because as someone else has suggested they may not even have noticed. There are no signs of the £7.50 fares on Northern's search engines so they may believe, rightly or wrongly, that they have done what they needed to.

I've only just seen this, I'm not at all concerned. I'm quite satisfied that the services not appearing in Northern journey planners for Halifax to Leeds journeys ONLY is due to Northern's relatively recent and sloppy introduction .of a via Bradford restriction for Halifax to Leeds journeys ONLY. As far as I can see, you are the only poster on this thread that is corncerned enough to come up with theories such as deliberate non-publication of times due to possible cancellations, claiming services do not appear in industry databases when they do etc.

Other posters are concerned that some passengers may be unwittingly charged more, hence this debate. However I repeat my above question, has anyone asked why this exists on some search engines but not Northern's?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
To be honest ask most punters what they want from ticketing systems is value for money and ease of use.
Ease of use means being able to take any reasonable route, without 'computer says no' situations making things difficult.
I know you don't agree but the removal of some permitted routes is supposed to make things easier for people to search for and buy tickets.
I don't agree because I know that removing permitted routes does not actually make things easier; it leads to useful itineraries not being found, such as in this case all trains between Leeds and Halifax for an entire day!
Over the coming years there is going to be a greater emphasis on buying online as various smart ticketing systems roll out
Exactly; online retailers are unable to sell tickets for this journey, so it makes no sense to do this.
but this has the potential to make things more complex for search engines & as a result more complex for passengers.
I'll tell you what is "more complex" for booking engines: the proliferation of a large quantity of "negative easements"! Permitted routes are not a problem. The more permitted routes the better, so that suitable itineraries are able to be offered to customers.
And whilst some people (I am one of them) are happy to spend time searching through all the options, even looking at split ticketing, most people going from A to B just want to book something quickly and easily.
Exactly! So if you search for a journey, such as Leeds to Halifax on the 4th, it should come up with suitable results. It is very confusing for customers when it doesn't. Yet you are defending decisions which have resulted in no results being found for any trains on that day.

And I'm afraid this will drive the slow but steady removal of little used or obscure permissible routes, even when occasionally they might be used.
People like you appear to be justifying the removal of permitted routes, yet there is absolutely no benefit to customers or booking engines to do so.

But as you said earlier in the thread, we'll have to agree to disagree on this.
Evidently!

However this situation is why I asked if anyone had actually asked Northern about it, because as someone else has suggested they may not even have noticed. There are no signs of the £7.50 fares on Northern's search engines...
The £7.50 fares cannot be sold by online booking systems.
...so they may believe, rightly or wrongly, that they have done what they needed to.
Clearly they have not done "what they needed to". The route should never have been changed from "Any Permitted" in the first place.
Other posters are concerned that some passengers may be unwittingly charged more, hence this debate. However I repeat my above question, has anyone asked why this exists on some search engines but not Northern's?
No booking systems are currently able to retail a Leeds to Halifax fare on that date. This is because the fare has been restricted to "via Bradford", which is against best practice and against the interests of both customers and online booking sites.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
the removal of some permitted routes is supposed to make things easier for people to search for and buy tickets.
My thoughts on this are that, while it's quite possible that some people in the DfT and maybe even some people in RDG naively believe this rationale, it's clearly not true. In the case of adding a Via Bradford restriction to Leeds to Halifax fares, which were previously valid via Any Permitted Route:
  1. It doesn't make searching easier, since journey planners don't take fare route restrictions into account when planning journeys - they will still come up with the journeys via Brighouse, but then have to discard them when they look at the fares.
  2. It doesn't make buying tickets easier, since passengers now have to check whether their train goes via Bradford in order to determine whether their ticket is valid - previously it was enough to know that it was valid on any train from Leeds to Halifax.
It is my opinion that people responsible for revenue in TOCs wouldn't be doing their jobs properly if they can't see that this sort of thing is also a great opportunity to increase revenue by reducing the need to share revenue with other TOCs and by increasing the need for passengers to buy additional tickets when they need flexibility.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Edit: On reflection I have removed this post to prevent any risk of causing any upset. Clearly I have a different view on this which is not accepted on this particular sub-forum, so I will leave it here.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's Northern's responsibility to notice this problem and resolve it - ideally with a solution in place before the 12 weeks ahead.

Online booking sites are working exactly as they should. It's not the responsibility of the customer or a retailer (such as Northern's contractor, Trainline, or their suppliers) to identify these issues, nor is it within their power to correct them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Edit: On reflection I have removed this post to prevent any risk of causing any upset. Clearly I have a different view on this which is not accepted on this particular sub-forum, so I will leave

it here.
You can absolutely have a different view, but you have said things that I know are incorrect (e.g. suggesting a via Bradford restriction makes things 'easier' for booking engines) and you have said things in your arguments that demonstrate an (understandable) lack of understanding about how these issues work. Several members who do understand, and have experience of dealing with, these sorts of issues have tried to explain how these route restrictions are causing real problems.

It's Northern's responsibility to notice this problem and resolve it - ideally with a solution in place before the 12 weeks ahead.

Online booking sites are working exactly as they should. It's not the responsibility of the customer or a retailer (such as Northern's contractor, Trainline, or their suppliers) to identify these issues, nor is it within their power to correct them.
Very true, yes.

Bantamzen

Established Member
You can absolutely have a different view, but you have said things that I know are incorrect (e.g. suggesting a via Bradford restriction makes things 'easier' for booking engines) and you have said things in your arguments that demonstrate an (understandable) lack of understanding about how these issues work. Several members who do understand, and have experience of dealing with, these sorts of issues have tried to explain how these route restrictions are causing real problems.

No, I'm sorry but it is clear that there is no room for debate on this sub-forum, and you have demonstrated as such with your veiled insults in your last couple of responses to me. And if I am going to be brutally honest, although I don't doubt there are people here with experience on such matters, things change and sometimes even people well versed on matters do not always keep up with changing situations, some of which I have attempted to bring into the debate.

Quite honestly the rail ticketing situation needs simplification, it is a farce that there are so many "permissible routes". It is my opinion that without such complications the current situation with fare overcharging could more easily be exposed and tackled. And I am just going to come out and say it, but frankly I feel that there is something of a superior complex amongst a fraternity here, where some members seem to almost revel in being able to use the current system to get the best deals without ever actually making this knowledge widely known. And this is, in my humble opinion is the real issue here, and why nobody has answered my simple question about asking Northern.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
No, I'm sorry but it is clear that there is no room for debate on this sub-forum, and you have demonstrated as such with your veiled insults in your last couple of responses to me. And if I am going to be brutally honest, although I don't doubt there are people here with experience on such matters, things change and sometimes even people well versed on matters do not always keep up with changing situations, some of which I have attempted to bring into the debate.

People pointing out flaws in your assertions is a long way from making veiled threats. If Yorkie is wrong, then, if your argument is sound, point out what's wrong.

Quite honestly the rail ticketing situation needs simplification, it is a farce that there are so many "permissible routes". It is my opinion that without such complications the current situation with fare overcharging could more easily be exposed and tackled. And I am just going to come out and say it, but frankly I feel that there is something of a superior complex amongst a fraternity here, where some members seem to almost revel in being able to use the current system to get the best deals without ever actually making this knowledge widely known. And this is, in my humble opinion is the real issue here, and why nobody has answered my simple question about asking Northern.

Why is having a choice of many routes a farce? Much of it is due to alternative routes built by different rail companies. If one route suits someone, removing it does not make their life simpler. It doesn't make life simpler for someone who would never use it because it's not the fastest route.

My experience is that people on this board have been very keen to help me find the best fare - I have some knowledge,but am not an expert, but I've had good advice and have not been talked down to. I suspect this forum is one of the main sources of people finding out about unusual tickets - the TOCs certainly aren't going out of their way to promote them.

We have a very complicated fares system, but the only ways I can see to make it much simpler, remove flexibility and/or leave some people with huge fare rises (assuming the whole exercise is revenue neutral). If you can see another way, explain it and it can be examined. I suspect most on this forum would welcome that (but they will also point out if it doesn't meet these criteria).

Bantamzen

Established Member
People pointing out flaws in your assertions is a long way from making veiled threats. If Yorkie is wrong, then, if your argument is sound, point out what's wrong.

First of all, please don't take my comments out of context by misquoting them. I did not say Yorkie threatened me, I said I felt he made veiled insults in using the term "People like you". Yorkie to my knowledge has never met me so cannot possibly know who I am and so I felt that this comment was intended to look down on me a little bit, or at least treat me with some contempt.

You will note that despite asking several times now, no-one has said they have approached Northern on this matter and frankly that for me is very telling. I suspect some members prefer to use situations like this to further slate Northern rather than seek resolution. But that is just my opinion.

Why is having a choice of many routes a farce? Much of it is due to alternative routes built by different rail companies. If one route suits someone, removing it does not make their life simpler. It doesn't make life simpler for someone who would never use it because it's not the fastest route.

My experience is that people on this board have been very keen to help me find the best fare - I have some knowledge,but am not an expert, but I've had good advice and have not been talked down to. I suspect this forum is one of the main sources of people finding out about unusual tickets - the TOCs certainly aren't going out of their way to promote them.

We have a very complicated fares system, but the only ways I can see to make it much simpler, remove flexibility and/or leave some people with huge fare rises (assuming the whole exercise is revenue neutral). If you can see another way, explain it and it can be examined. I suspect most on this forum would welcome that (but they will also point out if it doesn't meet these criteria).

First of all I don't doubt that some of the members here are knowledgeable on these matters, some may have direct experience others have just spent some time studying the rules, routing options etc. But that doesn't make them immune to mistakes or indeed having their views challenged, this is the very nature of forums, people do challenge other people's views on matters. In this instance the general feeling seems to be that the Leeds-Halifax via Brighouse route should be permitted, I don't because there is only one train in one direction each day. All other alternatives require using another service that is better suited for the stations it actually calls at and not for passengers requiring a change when a quicker and direct route is far more favourable. And just because the systems in place to handle situations like the 4th March aren't up to scratch is no reason to change this, the software handling the data clearly needs work. As a developer I know that this should be a fairly straightforward change, but because as with so many things in this country changes become convoluted and expensive, or a myth emerges that it cannot be done. So I say, in this instance that it is not the fault of Northern but the crappy engines not being able to cope. The £7.50 fares should simply not be available or visible to any search, and passengers ought allowed to use either the bus or the diverted services on the day (which in reality is probably what will happen). There is no need to make the route permissible otherwise. That is my point of view on this matter.

As you say we do have a very complicated fares structure, and for the vast majority of passengers it simply doesn't work. It is really a more exclusive group as highlight on this sub-forum that get an advantage that that most other passengers will never see. I would like to see a simpler system, where the standard price for a ticket is advertised, and this be available right up until a few minutes before departure, and any discounts for advances be advertised alongside. So say a fare is costed at £100, at 12 weeks before departure TOCs could advertise the £100 fare less 50% discount, at six weeks less 25% and so on. Fares would be based on the best available routes based on time and capacity, set by DfT, and if passengers wanted to use alternative routes then they would have to plan a split journey rather than hunting for loopholes. In the case of disruption TOCs would then be required to offer and advertise the alternative routes as appropriate. Booking would be controlled by a single portal, although TOCs would be free to use their own engines to query this. Cost wise for Standard pricing there would be a maximum price that TOCs could charge per mile, again set by DfT as part of the franchise agreements and these would be publicly known, and would be set at a rate so as not to price people out.

All this of course would leave a gap in revenue, as I'm sure anyone reading this were about to point out. But I for one am not adverse to government subsidies for transport, it is a key key facet in out nation's infrastructure and so as tax payers we really should not be so adverse towards some of our taxes being used. However I would encourage industry experts into central government to set subsidies, check contracts for value, advise on best practices etc. These people could give a desperately needed level of expertise to ensure that subsides are properly used and offer the best value for money whilst allowing private operators to make profits. I would also encourage a more airline style pricing policies for additional extras, whilst things like free WiFi are nice they are not a pre-requisite for most passengers. So allow charging for additional services, onboard meals for longer journeys, maybe even consider on longer formations splitting out First Class into a Business & Premium Class, offering varying levels of service. Having used a number of different airlines in the last for years for both short, medium and long haul flights it seems to be a business model that not only is popular with some passengers but helps drive down the basic cost per seat per mile. Its either that or privatisation.....

Status
Not open for further replies.