• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Level crossing delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeGJ1984

About 7.30 yesterday evening I had a delay in waiting to cross Harlescott Level Crossing on the outskirts of Shrewsbury. It took 6 or 7 minutes after the barriers closed before the train came. After waiting about 5 minutes, I went to the phone and called the signaller who said there was a problem and the train would pass in due corse. It did a minute or two later - it was a freight train topped and tailed by Freightliner class 66s. It actually arrived at the crossing going very slowly and sounding the horn, although the barriers were down, and then speeded up. Anybody have any ideas on what might have been the cause of the delay?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
About 7.30 yesterday evening I had a delay in waiting to cross Harlescott Level Crossing on the outskirts of Shrewsbury. It took 6 or 7 minutes after the barriers closed before the train came. After waiting about 5 minutes, I went to the phone and called the signaller who said there was a problem and the train would pass in due corse. It did a minute or two later - it was a freight train topped and tailed by Freightliner class 66s. It actually arrived at the crossing going very slowly and sounding the horn, although the barriers were down, and then speeded up. Anybody have any ideas on what might have been the cause of the delay?

Problem with the obstacle detection system. S&T attended and put back in order at 2100.

JoeGJ1984

I noticed that one set of barriers went up and down for some time then stayed down and I waited... and waited... for over 5 minutes. Anyone tell me why the train needed to sound the horn? (don't think they usually need to sound the horn at this level crossing).

Out of interest, what would happen if somebody stopped on the crossing, which would make trains unable to run? One could reoprt it via the phone, but that goes to Cardiff. Would they call the police or anything?

GB

Established Member
Probably because trains had to pass the protecting signals at danger thus giving a warning to anyone that might be near by.

Clip

Established Member
I noticed that one set of barriers went up and down for some time then stayed down and I waited... and waited... for over 5 minutes. Anyone tell me why the train needed to sound the horn? (don't think they usually need to sound the horn at this level crossing).

Out of interest, what would happen if somebody stopped on the crossing, which would make trains unable to run? One could reoprt it via the phone, but that goes to Cardiff. Would they call the police or anything?

Well i guess if the train was going slowly and sounding his horn then they probably wouldve seen someone trapped in the crossing and stopped.

However I take it the lights were flashing all this time and if so then no one should be trying to cross whilst they flash red.

JoeGJ1984

Does this crossing have CCTV as well so that it can be observed that the crossing is clear if the obstacle decectors can't 'detect' that the crossing is clear?

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
If the crossing had CCTV, there would be no need for obstacle detectors. The driver of the train looking would be the means by which the crossing would be deemed clear, hence the slow speed of the train to give the driver time to check the crossing and the chance to stop if it wasn't clear.

dtaylor84

If the crossing had CCTV, there would be no need for obstacle detectors.

Um, what about reducing the workload of the signaller?

This ORR guidance advises:

Equipment provided should enable the crossing to be operated manually, for example from a remote control point using CCTV. Manual operation may be necessary when a persistent obstruction is detected, when obstacle detection equipment is not in use, and for periodic monitoring of crossing usage and suitability.​

LowLevel

Established Member
OD crossings do not have signaller operated CCTV. They can be locally controlled by a competent person (usually an unlucky local mobile operations manager) or depending on the specific crossing and circumstances passed over at caution.

They're total rubbish and I hate them in so many ways, we were sold a total joke as an improvement. It would take me quite a while to explain all the things I hate about them.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
By chance I went across this crossing about an hour before you did. There was the most terrific thunderstorm and extremely heavy rain. I wouldn't be surprised if the OD lenses got dirty from splash back (ie big raindrops bouncing back off the road).

As others have said there's no CCTV; that's the whole point. And whilst some people might not like them, the people I spoke to in the safety regulators are convinced they are safer than MCB crossings (CCTV or otherwise), as well as being cheaper to operate.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
...They're total rubbish and I hate them in so many ways, we were sold a total joke as an improvement. It would take me quite a while to explain all the things I hate about them.
Daily signalling problems on the GN/GE 'Joint' line. Enough said! :roll:

theironroad

Established Member
Most probably the signaller couldn't confirm 100% that crossing was clear for trains.

Driver probably advised by signaller there was a problem at x crossing and to ' approach at caution and only pass over when safe to do so '.

The driver would pretty much come to a halt just before the level crossing to make sure it was clear to pass, sounding the horn as a warning as necessary. Once the nose of the train is clear of the crossing then it is safe to resume speed subject to signals and speed restrictions.

All sounds perfectly normal, just takes a bit more time than regular running.

LowLevel

Established Member
By chance I went across this crossing about an hour before you did. There was the most terrific thunderstorm and extremely heavy rain. I wouldn't be surprised if the OD lenses got dirty from splash back (ie big raindrops bouncing back off the road).

As others have said there's no CCTV; that's the whole point. And whilst some people might not like them, the people I spoke to in the safety regulators are convinced they are safer than MCB crossings (CCTV or otherwise), as well as being cheaper to operate.

They may be. That's still no comfort to the staff and passengers afflicted by the them.

The equipment failures on the Joint and Ely - Norwich lines regularly stop the job. Aslockton and Orston Lane also seem to be new problem children on the Nottingham - Grantham line.

Then there's the operational timings that have no flexibility to suit different circumstances. The Bottesford platform starter now sits and waits for Normanton AHB to operate so late or not, you sit on a red for up to a minute. You then get a yellow and have to crawl around to the poorly sighted signal at the former Bottesford West Junction while Orston Lane MCB-OD operates. If you're late, now it's all automated, forget trying to make up time.

The public were told 'it's great, the barriers will be down for less time, and will be able to raise more often between trains'. Oh wait, no, Blankney and Aslockton crossings are both the only access between platforms at Metheringham and Aslockton stations. The way it's set up for sequential trains at both stations, it doesn't take much of a delay to the service to have multiple trains hit the strike in points and keep the barriers down for 10-15 minutes, meaning you get to the station in plenty of time and physically can't get to your train and miss it because you're on the far side and it's the middle of 3 trains.

Bingham is the same - trains are booked a minutes wait, so the crossing doesn't come down and the signal doesn't clear. In the day time if you're late that means waiting. If you're early, which anything that runs via the Allington Curve from Sleaford is, up to 5 or 6 minutes, the barriers come down after 1 minute and block the road for 5. The bodged solution to that is now to hold the train at Allington West Junction in the dark on the curve until it's nearly late and hope it doesn't make time en route.

The tail wagged the dog and we now have a rubbish automated solution that is a) generally unreliable and b) doesn't do what we were told it would, except get rid of the person in the shed that knew when to drop their barriers for different circumstances.

SPADTrap

Established Member

I think they key is in your last point.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
That's what the Luddites were saying over 200 years ago.

There was an episode on BBC News (thing it was Click) where they showed a Chinese equivalent of Amazon and even the loading of the vans at their warehouse was automated

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
There was an episode on BBC News (thing it was Click) where they showed a Chinese equivalent of Amazon and even the loading of the vans at their warehouse was automated

Container movement on 'the side' at London Gateway port is entirely automated. There's a bloke in each of the cranes loading / unloading the ships, and then the lorry drivers taking them from the stack and off to the end customer. All movement within the port is automatic.

carriageline

Established Member
OD crossings (AFAIAA) have CCTV cameras on the wigwags, as well as other gizmos. Rumours went around that we will be able to access them via a webpGe Incase of crossing failure, but that never surfaced. I believe they are mainly for S&T use.

The reason the OP saw the barriers raise then lower again as the system must of detected an obstacle, and was trying to allow it to leave by raising and lowering the trailing barriers. As bald rick said, weather can massively affect them, and they seriously do not like heavy, heavy rain. Although the ODs I look after have shutters fitted now, and require a lot less cleaning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The reason the OP saw the barriers raise then lower again as the system must of detected an obstacle, and was trying to allow it to leave by raising and lowering the trailing barriers. As bald rick said, weather can massively affect them, and they seriously do not like heavy, heavy rain. Although the ODs I look after have shutters fitted now, and require a lot less cleaning.

Harlescott has shutters, and they were closed when I went through a couple of hours beforehand. However the rain was so heavy I suspect that some got onto the lenses in the few minutes they were open for a scan prior to a passing train, and then that caused the failure for the next train.

Status
Not open for further replies.