• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LHCS Mk3 disposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjohn

Blimey 16 of anything sounds a lot for the MNR I'm guessing some will be for bits
Their sexy new sidings will be vacant once the GA contract is completed. It seems a wise move to snap them up while they are available. They will be ideal for the Polar trains which contribute to the railway’s revenue stream in a big way.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oh, making it more of a. mystery vehicle since it's Cargo D days then.

Fair enough, thanks for the answer.

10588 went to Cotswold Rail for a few years then Cargo D for a few after that. Slept in it on several occasions. The first, turned up to find Mr Parcell hadn't put any mattresses back in it so it was effectively useless dead weight being lumped around on sets for the fun of it. Got a nice bad back from sleeping on hard wood. The guard had been treated to similar instead of a hotel and was as amused as Queen Victoria!

Thankfully the ill fated Cargo D had mattresses and bedding put back in so aside from electrical issues it was a relative palace to sleep in the next few times in its blue grey era.

fgwrich

Established Member
10588 went to Cotswold Rail for a few years then Cargo D for a few after that. Slept in it on several occasions. The first, turned up to find Mr Parcell hadn't put any mattresses back in it so it was effectively useless dead weight being lumped around on sets for the fun of it. Got a nice bad back from sleeping on hard wood. The guard had been treated to similar instead of a hotel and was as amused as Queen Victoria!

Thankfully the ill fated Cargo D had mattresses and bedding put back in so aside from electrical issues it was a relative palace to sleep in the next few times in its blue grey era.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me at all, everywhere Mr Parcell went there seemed to be a trail of missed targets and false promises - one of my previous workplaces had banned him from Fuelling locos in our yard due to non payment. I've seen those bed bases, I can understand how easy it would be to get a bad back from that! I still believe that it is a bit of a shame that Cargo D Folded in the way it did, sadly it really showed that while the late Mr Honey knew what he was doing, perhaps those around him didn't.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me at all, everywhere Mr Parcell went there seemed to be a trail of missed targets and false promises - one of my previous workplaces had banned him from Fuelling locos in our yard due to non payment. I've seen those bed bases, I can understand how easy it would be to get a bad back from that! I still believe that it is a bit of a shame that Cargo D Folded in the way it did, sadly it really showed that while the late Mr Honey knew what he was doing, perhaps those around him didn't.

Yes. Mr Honey was a friend of mine and the intelligence side of Cargo D. Most of the issues got out of hand once he had gone as his European business colleagues lacked adequate skills in the UK rail industry (they are marketing and asset management background) so TOC work that had kept the mk3s and some mk2s earning their keep and subsidising the railtour operation went rapidly with nothing to replace it. Some mk3s survived with Chiltern and Arriva after that I think.

DB

Some mk3s survived with Chiltern and Arriva after that I think.

The Mk3s were mostly 3b FOs, and were bought by Arriva. A number were converted to standard class and formed most of the ATW loco-hauled fleet (they have only recently been withdrawn). There were also some Mk3a RFMs, which mostly also went to Arriva - these were mostly not used, and several have now been scrapped. One of them, 10202, was bought from Arriva by the 125 Group who are converting it to act as a support coach.

The single Mk3 sleeper mentioned above went to Scotland for spares for their sleeper fleet, I think.

Not sure who bought the Mk2s, or the Mk1 kitchen car.

The Chiltern Mk3s are all Mk3a (one is ex-HST). The core of the fleet was ex-WSMR, and was expanded using vehicles which Arriva already owned, plus several from the ex-DRS Mk3 charter set, which Arriva also bought. Those used were Mk3a FOs, and were converted into TSOs, with power doors, etc, fitted at the same time. I think one or two of the ex-DRS set might also have been used by ATW, and also converted from FO to TSO.

The Mk3s were mostly 3b FOs, and were bought by Arriva. A number were converted to standard class and formed most of the ATW loco-hauled fleet (they have only recently been withdrawn). There were also some Mk3a RFMs, which mostly also went to Arriva - these were mostly not used, and several have now been scrapped. One of them, 10202, was bought from Arriva by the 125 Group who are converting it to act as a support coach.

The single Mk3 sleeper mentioned above went to Scotland for spares for their sleeper fleet, I think.

Not sure who bought the Mk2s, or the Mk1 kitchen car.

Yes. I recall seeing 10588 lurking in the yard at Inverness about 6 years ago on a weekend away. It was probably scrapped on site by a contractor up there after being robbed of useful parts.

superjohn

Chiltern/Arriva are offering various Mark 3 coaches for sale in the latest edition of “Traction and Rolling Stock Advertiser”. It’s on the last page and presumably includes the commuter set vehicles.

43 302

Established Member
Chiltern/Arriva are offering various Mark 3 coaches for sale in the latest edition of “Traction and Rolling Stock Advertiser”. It’s on the last page and presumably includes the commuter set vehicles.

Sounds like they're selling the ex TfW ones and presumably the old Banbury set.

DB

Sounds like they're selling the ex TfW ones and presumably the old Banbury set.

Yes, given that it says they were in use unti very recently - although describing some of them as FOs is a bit misleading: there are two in the Chiltern set which are still numbered as FOs, but have been refitted as TSOs. It's not clear why they didn't follow the usual practice of renumbering them (which they did do with the Wales ones, which were also all previously FOs).

Incidentally, anyone know when the replacement slam-door set is due to be in use, and what changes are being made to it at Eastleigh? Presumably paint or vinyl, and it will need to be fitted with AAR through-wiring - and the FO in that set will probably be refitted as a TSO (it seems to have been chosen because it's got a PRM-compliant bog). Anything else?

Brian Aylott

Would it be possible to have a list of the vehicles for sale? - it would be much appreciated

Thank you
Brian

fgwrich

Established Member
Incidentally, anyone know when the replacement slam-door set is due to be in use, and what changes are being made to it at Eastleigh? Presumably paint or vinyl, and it will need to be fitted with AAR through-wiring - and the FO in that set will probably be refitted as a TSO (it seems to have been chosen because it's got a PRM-compliant bog). Anything else?

I reckon the Chiltern livery will be vinyl on these, given the white base of the GA Stock / Livery. Interior wise I'm not so sure, perhaps they may even keep the GA interior, albeit as you say swapping the seats over from a TSO into the FO-D.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

The advert states the DVTs can work push pull with Class 66+67. I knew about their capabilities with a 67, but didn't realise they could also work with a 66. Has this ever happened?

Why can the coaches be removed by road or rail, but DVTs by road only?

nat67

Established Member
The advert states the DVTs can work push pull with Class 66+67. I knew about their capabilities with a 67, but didn't realise they could also work with a 66. Has this ever happened?

The DVT's have weight restrictions on certain secondary routes.

DB

I don't acually think that's right. Although they could in theory multi with anything with AAR (66, 67, 59, 70, 73/9) they also need an ETS supply to power the DVT's systems and driver controls, which effectively limits them to use with a loco which can supply ETS.

It might be possible to get round this with a genset in the DVT - which the Chiltern ones do have (although not sure whether it's ever used any more - it was to avoid having to have the noisy 67s running when sitting in stations and at stabling location). However, the ones for sale will be the Wales ones, which don't have a genset.

On Moderation
I don't acually think that's right. Although they could in theory multi with anything with AAR (66, 67, 59, 70, 73/9) they also need an ETS supply to power the DVT's systems and driver controls, which effectively limits them to use with a loco which can supply ETS.

It might be possible to get round this with a genset in the DVT - which the Chiltern ones do have (although not sure whether it's ever used any more - it was to avoid having to have the noisy 67s running when sitting in stations and at stabling location). However, the ones for sale will be the Wales ones, which don't have a genset.
There's nothing to stop a buyer adding a genset, of course.

DB

There's nothing to stop a buyer adding a genset, of course.

True - but it's difficult to see a likely future use which would involve push-pull work with an AAR fitted but non-ETS loco.

43 302

Established Member
The MNR have confirmed they are keeping some Mk3s on their facebook, unsure of the specific trailers.

Phil Scott

10522 is shown on a low loader on the wnxx news page near the M1 junction 28. Any ideas where it is off to?

laseandre

Established Member

Phil Scott

Can anyone confirm what is happening to 12030, 12129, 12130, 82112 and 82133, which are all stored on the Mid-Norfolk Railway? Are they stored pending movement elsewhere, or are they also sold to the MNR?

On Moderation
Can anyone confirm what is happening to 12030, 12129, 12130, 82112 and 82133, which are all stored on the Mid-Norfolk Railway? Are they stored pending movement elsewhere, or are they also sold to the MNR?
The three TSOs are not for the MNR as far as I know: the list of passenger vehicles sold to them is as what I posted in post #54. In a case of what may be 2+2=5, I wonder if these are the three for the Northampton & Lamport Railway?

As for the DVTs, if the Mid-Norfolk are getting two, I think 82112/133 must be them as all the others are accounted for.

Phil Scott

Another vehicle is on the move is sleeper 10544, which was apparently removed by road from Crewe recently. Not sure of the destination...

Status
Not open for further replies.