• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Limerick Junction's new platform 4 opens for business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thewanderer

Established Member
Afternoon folks,

The latest batch of pictures from this weekend have now been uploaded to the August gallery which features one of the biggest changes to the operation of Limerick Jct. since 1967 and probably since the opening of the station in 1848, the new Down Platform at the station opened to traffic on Sunday 25th August 2019.

Saturday 24th August 2019:
Today I was out between Templemore and Thurles to photograph the Belmond Grand Hibernian heading to Cork.

Sunday 25th August 2019:
Arguably the biggest change to Limerick Jct. since the 1967 alterations which allowed trains from Dublin direct access to platform 1, plus the direct curve to Limerick City occurred today with the opening of the new Platform 4 on the Down Line. The opening of this platform for Cork and Tralee bound trains allows a faster approach to the station instead of negotiating crossovers ranging from 15mph to 40mph to access the Up Platform as before.

A minor timetable change was introduced from today to take into account the opening of the new platform with trains operating up to 3 minutes faster south of Limerick Jct. than before. A future timetable should allow Up and Down trains to call at Limerick Jct. at the same time.

All Down Road services to Cork and Tralee will serve the new platform every day EXCEPT the following weekday services which will continue to serve Platform 1 (Up Platform)
07.00 Heuston - Cork,
21.00 Heuston - Cork.

Additionally and in a welcome move the 1500 Heuston - Cork (weekdays) will now call at Limerick Jct. with a connection to Limerick available. This plugs a 90 minute gap in the schedule from Dublin to Limerick.

Other photos from today come from Grange Level Crossing on the Thurles side of Limerick Jct.

Click https://bit.ly/31Z5vDB to view all the images from the weekend.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Amazing photos, not what I thought it would be like. There seems to be alot of different train types including loco hauled. I did not think they still had those there.

Pyreneenguy

Had I known I would have stopped on our way down from Westport to Bantry a couple of weeks ago.
I was fast asleep when we passed with my wife at the wheel !

Billy A

Amazing photos, not what I thought it would be like. There seems to be alot of different train types including loco hauled. I did not think they still had those there.
The Cork Dublin and Dublin Belfast trains are usually loco hauled and the former passes through Limerick Junction. The first and second pictures show Class 22000 DMUs by Hyundai which serve Waterford - LJ and the flat fronted DMU in the third picture is a Class 2800 which does LJ - Limerick.

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
Good news for users of Irish Rail then, thanks for the photos also :)

duesselmartin

Established Member
always good to see new investment but is there a real advantage to the former long split platform? Are Limerick train held longer for people with luggage?
What platform is used for the Waterford service, does it still reverse into Pl1?

Martin

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Afternoon folks,

The latest batch of pictures from this weekend have now been uploaded to the August gallery which features one of the biggest changes to the operation of Limerick Jct. since 1967 and probably since the opening of the station in 1848, the new Down Platform at the station opened to traffic on Sunday 25th August 2019.

Saturday 24th August 2019:
Today I was out between Templemore and Thurles to photograph the Belmond Grand Hibernian heading to Cork.

Sunday 25th August 2019:
Arguably the biggest change to Limerick Jct. since the 1967 alterations which allowed trains from Dublin direct access to platform 1, plus the direct curve to Limerick City occurred today with the opening of the new Platform 4 on the Down Line. The opening of this platform for Cork and Tralee bound trains allows a faster approach to the station instead of negotiating crossovers ranging from 15mph to 40mph to access the Up Platform as before.

A minor timetable change was introduced from today to take into account the opening of the new platform with trains operating up to 3 minutes faster south of Limerick Jct. than before. A future timetable should allow Up and Down trains to call at Limerick Jct. at the same time.

All Down Road services to Cork and Tralee will serve the new platform every day EXCEPT the following weekday services which will continue to serve Platform 1 (Up Platform)
07.00 Heuston - Cork,
21.00 Heuston - Cork.

Additionally and in a welcome move the 1500 Heuston - Cork (weekdays) will now call at Limerick Jct. with a connection to Limerick available. This plugs a 90 minute gap in the schedule from Dublin to Limerick.

Other photos from today come from Grange Level Crossing on the Thurles side of Limerick Jct.

Click https://bit.ly/31Z5vDB to view all the images from the weekend.

Nice selection of images, which show the new development well.

I hasn't realised they were building the new platform on the mainline though, I assumed it was going to be on a loop as with Platform 3.

MarkyT

Established Member
always good to see new investment but is there a real advantage to the former long split platform?
The south end of the long split platform was removed completely some years ago, and the land reused for station car parking. Trains in both directions have shared the north part of the platform since removal. The new platform eliminates much directional conflict in the layout and provides greater flexibility and resilience.

Status
Not open for further replies.