Lines that will be lost due to Climate Change

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by reddragon, 22 May 2019.

1. ChiefPlanner

ChiefPlanner Established Member

Dovey Junction - Ynyslas / Borth must be quite at risk - badly damaged in 1975 but thankfully restored. Also the Cambrian from DJ towards Aberdovey.

2. HSTEd

HSTEd Established Member

If the council is the body required to pay for flood defences, it should also be the body required to compensate people when it fails to pay for said flood defences.
    Otherwise you create a perverse incentive where the council would simply condemn everything because they aren't paying the bill for that, but do pay the bill for not condemning.

And £75m will buy you quite a bit of flood defence.....

3. Chester1

Chester1 Established Member

It should not be automatic for the reason you point out but that doesn't stop the Welsh government choosing to step in and help in this instance. The risk of loss of life probably outweighs the financial argument in favour of maintaining the sea defenses vs paying compensation. Its basically at sea level, on a river estuary and in an area prone to storms. Its easy to see why Gwynedd Council want to demolish the whole village and turn the area back to salt marsh. The railway would probably be the location of the new line of sea defenses.

4. kylemore

kylemore Member

No idea - maybe we've got very powerful icebreakers now!

Wherever it's gone it's not gone into increased sea level, if you grew up in a coastal town or on an island, and are of a certain age, you would know that.

I see my point above regarding the Maldives has gone unanswered - would big money invest in long term investments at sea level if there was any possibility of risk? It would be impossible to get a mortgage anywhere east of Doncaster or even in London! You can be sure that the people behind big money will know a damn sight more than the likes of you and me - they're not worried - they know fine it's garbage - it's a scam. The reasons for the scam can only be guessed at by people at our level.

So to keep on topic - the railways are fine!

5. whittlesfordok

whittlesfordok Member

it is most likely where the water is not drained well. If the Thames barrier goes down some of the underground is very at risk.

6. Cowley

Cowley Established Member Associate Staff General Discussion

The mortgage needs to be paid back no matter what happens.
    The risk is in the insurance, and many people will find out that their houses may well be uninsurable in a few decades time after being flooded a few times.

7. John S2

John S2 Member

It is correct that the melting of ice that is already in the ocean does not directly contribute to sea level rise. The two main factors causing sea level rise are thermal expansion and the melting of land based ice.
    Global sea level is currently rising at a rate of over 3mm per year. This might not sound very much, but the cumulative effect is considerable.
    It is not practical to protect every section of vulnerable coastline, so hard decisions will need to be taken by central government about which railway lines are to be protected and which ones have to be let go as part of a managed retreat.

8. bramling

bramling Established Member

It might buy a lot of defence, but this doesn’t address the risks associated with the defences being overwhelmed, which is on paper one of the reasons quoted for abandoning the town.

Staying in Barmouth recently and being fortunate enough to be in a hotel room overlooking the Mawddach with Fairbourne in the distance, it’s obvious just how low-lying and vulnerable Fairbourne is. The residents may be comfortable with that risk, but I don’t think I would be happy to put my signature to it.

9. reddragon

reddragon Member

Put your money where your mouth is then & move to the coast!

10. reddragon

reddragon Member

You will note that their funders are the oil, gas & coal industry!

11. reddragon

reddragon Member

Sadly, concerns are now being raised about tipping points when ice melt / sea level rise might irreversibly accelerate dramatically, making alarmist ideas a possibility. Already measured predictions have more than doubled the sea rise curve!

12. reddragon

reddragon Member

There is a simple answer. If you look at the age band of the investors, they are happy to get a return in their life time / career span the **** it once they've got their pension!

Investors have dropped investment in coal simply because the investment return period is too short and with fail far too soon for them to move on.

I guess The Maldives need an airport for evacuation

13. jfowkes

jfowkes Member

We should note that at the end of The Boy Who Cried Wolf, there really is a wolf.

14. reddragon

reddragon Member

Really scary news on the ice melt front. Greenland's ice shelf (which will add 7m to sea levels) has gone into super melt! Alaska the same :(

This map show what area is melting - nearly 50%
    [​IMG]
    This chart shows that the melt rate in 2019 is far worse than any previous year, already beating past records by 12th June instead of late July.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Jun 2019
  15. matacaster

matacaster Member

I'm off out buying a bucket and spade now!!

16. Jon125

Jon125 Member

The answers easy, store all the extra water in plastic bottles.

17. FelixtheCat

FelixtheCat Established Member

I really hope that's a joke.