Lineside Photographic Permits

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by geoffk, 27 Nov 2018.

1. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

Whilst it may well have been a factor the letter does say the decision was the result of the ROGS Audit.
    I suspect also it has been a victim of it's own success - there are now many "linesiders" and many trains in both directions on the GCR - they are also running industry test trains on a frequent, but irregular, basis.

2. tomatwark

tomatwark Member

I would also think that the higher line speed over part of the line will have something to do with it as well.

3. YorkshireBear

YorkshireBear Established Member

I think it should be a PTS qualification as a minimum for a lineside pass. Which also gives you a way of suspending any lineside photographers viewed to act unsafely and not allow one person to ruin it for all others.

4. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Member

There is a short article on this in the new (Dec) Railway Magazine. The SDR and GWSR are stopping the issue completely, the GCR will be issuing a strictly limited number of permits to "preferred photographers......over the years and who have conducted themselves safely".

5. 43096

43096 Established Member

I would tend to agree on PTS, although I don't see why the current scheme doesn't allow suspending of the photographer's pass?

6. YorkshireBear

It does allow for it, this just makes it easier, which I didn't make clear in my post sorry!

7. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

50 people taking identical photographs? Why not just have one member of staff take some phots and email them to everyone else?

8. reddragon

reddragon Member

A further update

9. YorkshireBear

Where is that update? Just so I can find it to share with colleagues.

10. Shenandoah

Shenandoah Member

I am not sure where the 'update' in post 38 came from. Probably F/book or similar. From reading another Forum it appears to be a paste of a letter originating on the G&WSR and not the GCR.

11. reddragon

reddragon Member

12. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Member

From looking into it a bit more, the ORR's objection is specifically to photographers on the line on their own without a lookout, so presumably photo charters (if adequate supervision is provided) will be okay.

13. Flipper

Flipper Member

Oh, it was a lot, lot more, than one person. Those of us who routinely work on the track have been attempting to advise and caution permit holders for ten years or more, and have increasingly been met with indifference, mockery and occasionally outright hostility. Traincrew admonishing permit holders have been threatened with violence. Standards have been continually slipping amongst the schemes members, as the bad apples have spoilt the barrel.

I suspect the incident you have heard about was the permit holder who was photographed recently stood on the sleeper ends of the down line, back to traffic, foot on the cess rail, with his headphones in and casually chatting to a fellow photographer. Not the only offender, by any means, but definitely one of the best recorded . . .

14. 43096

43096 Established Member

Ah. The truth is out.

Thanks for posting this. No surprise. No surprise at all.

15. Flipper

Flipper Member

D8FE9CD1-76E1-4950-88AD-AA9EDCE62432.jpeg
    The chap referred to. Photograph taken by a fellow linesider . . .

16. 43096

43096 Established Member

Grade A idiot(s). I take it his pass was revoked?

17. reddragon

reddragon Member

I think that as a result all passes on all heritage railways are being revoked!

18. Ploughman

Ploughman Established Member

Do I assume that the usual requirement for Safety footwear does not apply here?

19. Harbornite

Harbornite Established Member

Twit.

20. 43096

43096 Established Member

Are you sure you used the correct vowel in that?
    ;)

21. John Edkins

John Edkins New Member

I have heard the reference to "50 preferred photographers" elsewhere and would take issue with the term and how it would be implemented. Firstly, whilst I accept the majority of GCR linesiders are photographers there are also persons like myself who are videographers. I am sure that the estimated 300 non-preferred linesiders would like to see some transparency on the selection process, specifically how the GCR are going to prove that the preferred photographers have not been in breach with lineside regulation in the past. For me it's all or nothing, but the "all" option should include a stringent PTS examination conducted by a third party. The GCR are guilty of issuing lineside passes without a formal test and all I received when joining was a video which I could choose to view or not.

22. eldomtom2

eldomtom2 Member

I strongly suspect the "preferred photographers" business is a way to end permits while not explicitly saying so. I doubt there will be any more after the initial 50.

23. cclass

cclass New Member

I tried early this year it was no then

24. E50019

E50019 Member

case closed..