• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Live signalling diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin_roche

In the Crossrail Core the platforms are named A and B but signalmaps has them as 1 and 2. Is this an oversight?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
@Shwam3 are you the developer behind Signal Maps then?

If so will you be able to add the Thameslink line from Blackfriars to Bedford at all? Or even just the Midland Mainline?

kevin_roche

When a line is blocked for some reason most of these show a code where the block is. Is there a list of what these codes mean or are they just whatever the person who adds it thinks of at the time?

As an example on Signal Maps view of the Crossrail Core the Pudding Mill Lane portal shows the code "ISO-".

zwk500

Veteran Member
When a line is blocked for some reason most of these show a code where the block is. Is there a list of what these codes mean or are they just whatever the person who adds it thinks of at the time?

As an example on Signal Maps view of the Crossrail Core the Pudding Mill Lane portal shows the code "ISO-".

There is a thread on here somewhere with all the meanings but some of the most common are:

ISO or ISOL - isolation of electric power
T3 - disconnection of signalling (named after the rulebook module)
DETS - detonator protection laid.

None of these are official, they are all put in by the individuals signallers as reminders to help them in their duties, and therefore vary according to the signaller's preference and local considerations.

Sunset route

Established Member
There is a thread on here somewhere with all the meanings but some of the most common are:

ISO or ISOL - isolation of electric power
T3 - disconnection of signalling (named after the rulebook module)
DETS - detonator protection laid.

None of these are official, they are all put in by the individuals signallers as reminders to help them in their duties, and therefore vary according to the signaller's preference and local considerations.

T3 is not the rule book section for signalling disconnection but the section relevant to engineering work where the line is totally shut to trains.

All codes that are inputted into the train describer apart from WTT train IDs (now corrupted to what most people call headcodes) are personal reminders to individual signaller who inputted them and all are unofficial.

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
T3 is not the rule book section for signalling disconnection but the section relevant to engineering work where the line is totally shut to trains.

All codes that are inputted into the train describer apart from WTT train IDs (now corrupted to what most people call headcodes) are personal reminders to individual signaller who inputted them and all are unofficial.
Disconnection of Signalling, if anything, will more likely have 3187 in the TD berth (the form used is RT3187)

Hopefully somebody will be able to help an infrequent visitor to this site.

Looking at Traksy I can not find any reference to the line that runs by (the now defunct) Fiddlers Ferry Power station and then underneath Warrington Bank Quay station. I appreciate that this is a little used line however I often hear the sound of trains as they approach the unmanned pedestrian crossings - I believe that these may be trains running from Jaguar Landrover at Halesowen.

Amy help with where I can find this route on Traksy would be much appreciated.

Established Member
I've not checked, but doubt whether that line is on Traksy or any similar site as they only work in areas under centralised signalling control with train describers. The line from Warrington Arpley to Ditton Junction is still mostly controlled by individual small signal boxes which don't have train describer equipment.

I've not checked, but doubt whether that line is on Traksy or any similar site as they only work in areas under centralised signalling control with train describers. The line from Warrington Arpley to Ditton Junction is still mostly controlled by individual small signal boxes which don't have train describer equipment.
That makes sense and thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I think you mean Halewood (near Liverpool) - Halesowen is near Birmingham (and is not on the rail network).
Oops - yes you're quite correct. I do sometimes wonder about my ability to write other than what I mean to. I think that "33056" had realised the error of my ways and assumed that I had meant Halewood.

Established Member
Oops - yes you're quite correct. I do sometimes wonder about my ability to write other than what I mean to. I think that "33056" had realised the error of my ways and assumed that I had meant Halewood.
The human brain is easily misled at times (even more so with computers and auto-correct)! I actually didn't realise that you wrote Halesowen and probably read it as Halewood as Warrington and Fiddler's Ferry had already been mentioned :oops:

ac6000cw

Established Member
The human brain is easily misled at times (even more so with computers and auto-correct)! I actually didn't realise that you wrote Halesowen and probably read it as Halewood as Warrington and Fiddler's Ferry had already been mentioned :oops:
There is actually a very tenuous connection between Halesowen and Jaguar Landrover...

The junction for the railway line into the (ex-Austin/BMC/BL/Rover) Longbridge car factory was for most of its life named 'Halesowen Junction', because the line originally continued on north-west via Halesowen to a junction with the Stourbridge - Birmingham line at Old Hill. In British Leyland days Austin, Rover & Jaguar were all part of the same company, although by then the line beyond the car factory via Halesowen had closed to all traffic.

(I grew up in that part of the world :) )

1955LR

I can just remember as a child watching trains heading out towards Halesowen standing on the top of Frankley Beeches back in the early 1950's .

kevin_roche

I can just remember as a child watching trains heading out towards Halesowen standing on the top of Frankley Beeches back in the early 1950's .
My grandfather used to take me to Frankley Beeches after school on summer evenings in the late 1950s and the view was amazing.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Normal passenger services to Halesowen ceased in 1929, but "Workmen's" trains (to the car factory from Old Hill) continued into - I think - the early 1960's. The through route was eventually severed when the M5 motorway was built, but I think it had closed completely south-east of Halesowen by then anyway.

Roger100

I use OTT now and then for looking at local trains. It's a bit more up-to-date than Traksy and shows Horden Station, the next one north of Hartlepool. Traksy omits Horden, which opened nearly 14 months ago, but shows the core Crossrail stations, not yet open. I suppose the latter are a bit more interesting!

takno

Established Member
I use OTT now and then for looking at local trains. It's a bit more up-to-date than Traksy and shows Horden Station, the next one north of Hartlepool. Traksy omits Horden, which opened nearly 14 months ago, but shows the core Crossrail stations, not yet open. I suppose the latter are a bit more interesting!
To be honest it's more to do with the fact that I've never heard anything about Horden.

Roger100

To be honest it's more to do with the fact that I've never heard anything about Horden.
That's not surprising. Horden is a Durham pit village, and is on the coast line between Seaham and Hartlepool opened in 1905. All the stations along here were closed and removed in the 60's but the line survived. The new Horden station opened on 29th June last year, the GC HST in my avatar is passing close to its site in 2017.

Attachments

• 156490 2W31 Opening day.jpg
    156490 2W31 Opening day.jpg
    928.3 KB · Views: 42

zwk500

Veteran Member
Does anyone know what C149 represents in the train description box's on signalling diagrams?
It's usually a train that hasn't mapped it's TID/Headcode correctly in the live data. These are normally trains operated by freight companies, (including light locos, charters and postal services). They can sometimes be regular passenger services.
Occasionally it might just be a note for the signaller to indicate something like a fault of people working on the line.

Usually a C then 3 digit number refers to the item number of the possession or line blockage in section C of the weekly operating notice. So the line is blocked from that point under that reference number, entered as an aide memoir by the signaller.

GB

Established Member
Usually a C then 3 digit number refers to the item number of the possession or line blockage in section C of the weekly operating notice. So the line is blocked from that point under that reference number, entered as an aide memoir by the signaller.
Normally they are put in as "ITxx"....but I guess their are regional variants.

zwk500

Veteran Member
It could also be used to indicate a stabled train (Class 149). Without seeing a screenshot it's impossible to say what it is in this scenario

Aictos

Established Member
Quite a few stations missing - I just looked for Ely (my local station) to find it not listed. Same for Cambridge. Yet Waterbeach (between the other two) was!
That's down to the operator though, SouthEastern don't have all their stations listed but Thameslink does.

Status
Not open for further replies.