• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Street Customer Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_atki

Established Member
Passing through Liverpool Street a couple of months ago I noticed a poster informing people of a new customer information system to be installed towards the end of this year.

It consists of the following:

1. Replacement of the Solari boards:( with an LED type like that used at Victoria and now installed at Waterloo.

Does anyone know what will happen with the boards, whether Charing Cross' will be replaced (it seems like Network Rail hate them), and whether any other station (other than Charing Cross) still USE the boards (I say use because they are still installed but not used at stations like Brighton).

2. Installation of an automated announcement system.

Does anyone know if this will be the Phil Sayer system, and whether 'one' will be mention in the announcements (after all the fuss it caused when 'one' took over the franchise).

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
1. Replacement of the Solari boards:( with an LED type like that used at Victoria and now installed at Waterloo.

Solari...? Do you mean the big mechanical departure board?

TBH, as much as I like the old thing, it isn't as reliable or as flexible as an LED board. I notice that one column was recently taken out of use after it jammed rather than being repaired, so I guessed that it's days were numbered.

2. Installation of an automated announcement system.

Does anyone know if this will be the Phil Sayer system, and whether 'one' will be mention in the announcements (after all the fuss it caused when 'one' took over the franchise).

Oh please!!! We've got some proper mumblers doing the PA at LST at the moment and, while I wouldn't like to think that anyone is going to get the "old heave-ho" as a result, it can only improve matters. I'm not sure if it will be Phil Sayer or whichever chap they used to record the on-train announcements for PIDS fitted stock. I would like to think that they'll use the one chap there who seems capable of making consistently good quality announcements to ensure that a degree of continuity is ensured.

As for the return of the 'one' to announcements, I think it may come back. It's certainly used on the Cl317 PIDS system, but the phrasing of the announcements has been improved. Then again, given that c2c currently only run two train each day into LST perhaps the powers-that-be will decide that it is no longer necessary.

It may not have been the brightest choice of names, but then punters generally aren't the brightest of sparks at the best of times anyway. Not long back I had to deal with a confused lady who was adamant that the StanEx service I'd just brought into P6 was her train for Ilford, all because the timetable for the Shenfield Metro services has the number 6 printed on the front cover.

one TN

dan_atki

Established Member
Solari...? Do you mean the big mechanical departure board?

TBH, as much as I like the old thing, it isn't as reliable or as flexible as an LED board. I notice that one column was recently taken out of use after it jammed rather than being repaired, so I guessed that it's days were numbered.

Yes, the big blue giant flappy things will depart Liverpool Street at the end of this year, leaving Charing Cross as the only station (that I know of - please correct me if I'm wrong) that uses them.

That does tend to be one of the main problems with the boards - the flexibility, but I notice that the boards at Liverpool Street have only 1 station in each flap unlike that at Charing Cross and the ones that were removed from Victoria in November 2004 where there could be up to 5 stations on a flap.

I also remember reading somewhere that if there was a significant timetable change then a lot of work was needed to update the system (I'm not sure how the boards work in that sense but there was mention of cards with holes cut in them!).

Oh please!!! We've got some proper mumblers doing the PA at LST at the moment and, while I wouldn't like to think that anyone is going to get the "old heave-ho" as a result, it can only improve matters. I'm not sure if it will be Phil Sayer or whichever chap they used to record the on-train announcements for PIDS fitted stock. I would like to think that they'll use the one chap there who seems capable of making consistently good quality announcements to ensure that a degree of continuity is ensured.

As for the return of the 'one' to announcements, I think it may come back. It's certainly used on the Cl317 PIDS system, but the phrasing of the announcements has been improved. Then again, given that c2c currently only run two train each day into LST perhaps the powers-that-be will decide that it is no longer necessary.

It may not have been the brightest choice of names, but then punters generally aren't the brightest of sparks at the best of times anyway. Not long back I had to deal with a confused lady who was adamant that the StanEx service I'd just brought into P6 was her train for Ilford, all because the timetable for the Shenfield Metro services has the number 6 printed on the front cover.

Judging by the phrasing on the poster it said it will 'compliment' the manual announcements whatever that means - I remember when the old system was removed at Luton and in the 10 months that there was no system every announcement was done manually until Phil Sayer arrived and it was like the new toy - every announcement in the system was being played every 5 minutes!

With regard to 'one' as their full name is 'one railway' it could be possible that this is used to avoid as much ambiguity about the time as possible and leaving a longer pause in between the time and 'one' might help like:

'Platform 8 for the 10.20 [PAUSE] 'one railway' service to Norwich'.

About the fact that c2c only have two trains a day into Liverpool Street - the announcements at Waterloo always include SWT in them despite being the only operator, but the system at Waterloo East never mentions whether the service is operated by Southern or Southeastern - which I think must be how they're set up.

Daniel

Established Member
Best way, I feel, to do things is like at St Pancras - manual announcements plus PIS boards. I'm not sure what type they're called, but they're really quite good, and i've never had a problem seeing them. The manual announcements are quite good, especially as you can announce only to one section. Once there was a random guy walking down an un-occupied platform 1, so we announced to platform 1 only, asking him to return to the concourse.

dan_atki

Established Member
I would have to agree as manual is the most flexible - it would be unnerving for Phil Sayer to be booming out to return to concourse 'I am sorry to announce that there is no train on platform 1 until 12.45. Can the customer on platform 1 please return to the concourse, thank you'. There are sttions where the automated announcements play only on the platform the train is leaving from (off the top of my head Clapham Junction, East Croydon, and Lewes).

But there are two problem with manual announcements and that is accents and the volume. Whilst I am not complaining about it, there is a Scottish lady who works at Victoria and that could be quite unnerving for a foreigner going to Gatwick. With automated, the accent is generic and clear and the volume can be kept constant.

compsci

I've been surprised by just how may things that Phil can say.

After a bridge strike at Baldock a couple of weeks ago the train I was on was held at Royston. Phil then came out with (for the other direction). "The XX:XX service to Cambridge has been delayed by Y minutes. This has been caused by a road vehicle striking a railway bridge at Baldock. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this delay." Apart from the whole discussion of whether computers can have feelings, this is pretty impressive.

dan_atki

Established Member
I think it's amazing how a computer can thread it all together and make it sound natural: the announcement you describe is probably split up like this:

The|xx|xx|service to|Cambridge|has been delayed by|y|minutes|this has been caused by|a road vehicle striking a railway bridge|at|Baldock|I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

But I must admit there are probably near infinite variations where he has recorded all the delay reasons over and over - like you used to hear 'defective train', but in most stations this is now a 'broken down train'. And also some station staff can just use him as a substitute for example he can even do (although not sure of the exact wording): 'rollerskating, cycling and the use of scooters on the station is dangerous and illegal...".
At King's Cross Thameslink he does the no smoking announcement like 'customers are reminded that King's Cross Thameslink is a no smoking station. Please extinguish all smoking materials immediately. If you wish to smoke please leave the station.'

With regard to delays the Ditra system uses:
0-10 minutes: I am sorry for the delay to this service.
10-30 minutes: I am very sorry for the delay to this service.
30+ minutes: I am extremely sorry for the severe delay to this service.
Cancellation: I am sorry for the delay this will cause to your journey.

Not plugging anything here but there is a video on a certain website with a recording of Celia Drummond (whose voice I despair because she sounds too 'happy' and she doesn't seem to care like Phil Sayer) at Wivelsfield announcing that a First Capital Connect service to Brighton is delayed by 1 hour and 24 minutes! I never even knew it had 'hour' in the system!

Any people who had the use of the Ditra auto announcement system (or knows its intricate workings and settings) I'd appreciate you contacting me with information about the interesting system.

thefab444

Established Member
He can also mention about not feeding the pigeons, and Celia on 455s can tell you all about how beggars occasionally board trains.

Jonfun

Established Member
The PA system on the 185s isn't as good as Digital Doris, or whatever the computer-lady's called who announces at Manchester Piccadilly. She can inform passengers of platforms, delays etc and usually get it right. On the 185s, you get announcements that say:
If you have any questions please see a member of the onboard tea-CONDUCTOR
This has since been rectified, but you still get announcements that are just taking the mickey:
This train will not call at Dewsbury today.
It isn't timetabled for Dewsbury. It hasn't been advertised as calling at Dewsbury. It never calls at Dewsbury.
I won't go into the fact you frequently get long pauses in mid-sentence, and you're lucky if it remains the same voice throughout the message...

compsci

The announcer on 450s doing the Hounslow loop service seems to get particularly confused, with a huge pause somewhere around Kew. The screen also goes blank for several seconds. Is it not very good at long sentances?

dan_atki

Established Member
I have heard that there is a problem with the amount of RAM on the Desiros and that is what causes them kind of problems to occur. There is even a video of this happening on the same website I have previously mentioned.

I used to like the Desiros because they had Phil's voice inside now that they have got Celia's I'm not very happy.

Note to any SWT managers: Bring Phil back to the Desiros!

NSEFAN

Established Member
Well, at least you can understand what's being said by these automatic things. It's better than the cheap loudspeakers on board the class 313s!

During December 06 whilst travelling from North Woolwich - Richmond, as the train approached Willesden Junction, the guard used the public address system to tell us we could change for other services here.

The voice was so muffled and spoken so quickly that I could only guess what he was saying :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, the "CONDUCTOR!" one was ridiculous. Shame they got rid of it as it was quite funny, but it did last several weeks, even the 'normals' had a laugh at it!

You can find this, and others, on Jordy's site here: http://www.southtpe.co.uk/sounds.html It's ironic that the 'edited' ones sound more 'real' than the real 'CONDUCTOR' one.

I guess the people responsible for the Class 185 announcements are not members of Mensa, to put it nicely.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The more random 'CONDUCTOR!' one is here
Ah yes, they did a bodged repair job by removing the gap and deleting "a member of on board staff". I can't imagine why it took them so long to fix it properly!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
:lol: Those still make me giggle. Am I right in saying that all of the 185 announcements that don't include information about a specific station have been replaced by the woman with the strong Yorkshire accent?

Jordy

Established Member
The strong yorkshire accent woman only does one or two additional announcements (such as 'This trains has CCTV'), the normal woman does most of them (such as 'This train is ready to leave', 'You must buy a ticket before boarding' etc)

Jordy

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The strong yorkshire accent woman only does one or two additional announcements (such as 'This trains has CCTV'), the normal woman does most of them (such as 'This train is ready to leave', 'You must buy a ticket before boarding' etc)

Ah right - I really don't like her, I personally don't think it's a great 'role-model' voice for a company that is trying to portray itself as more of an intercity than regional operator.

I wonder if TPE plan to fit any automatic announcements on the 170s. They are due a 'refresh' soon I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.