• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to Salford

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Hi folks,

Am I right in thinking that if travelling to Salford from Liverpool, buying a ticket to Preston is valid and cheaper?

Ta

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Gut instinct says no, but it depends on the routeing guide. A fares check won't come into it as Liverpool and Preston are both routeing points.

The shortest route is via Ormskirk at 27.75 miles, and Liverpool to Manchester (Victoria) alone is 31.75 miles, which is more than 3 miles further, so you can't use the "shortest route" rule.

Mapped routes can be found on maps CP (via Ormskirk), KW (via Warrington and Wigan) or XV (via Huyton and Wigan), none of which get anywhere near Salford, so you appear to be out of luck unless you can find a direct train from Liverpool to Preston that stops at Salford.

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hi Chris, unfortunately the ticket you suggest would not be valid - it's one I investigated a while ago. Salford Crescent has become a routeing point and with that change came a change of map sequences. However there is a way of going from Salford to Liverpool for £6.40 single/£6.60 day return - PM if you want to know.

AM9

Veteran Member
Hi Chris, unfortunately the ticket you suggest would not be valid - it's one I investigated a while ago. Salford Crescent has become a routeing point and with that change came a change of map sequences. However there is a way of going from Salford to Liverpool for £6.40 single/£6.60 day return - PM if you want to know.

Wow, you certainly get low cost fares up north!

Established Member
JakeF:1944039 said:
is that a child fare?

fowler9

Established Member
Well I wouldn't keep whinging about stock that was less than brand new if fares here were anything like as cheap.

Yeah it probably looks like a Polish train fair on down south wages. You do your own mental arithmetic and try and work out the idiotic way this country works. My wage in Liverpool is a manager, darn sarf it cleans toilets. Ha ha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.