• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Kings Cross & Leeds (06/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JoeEcco

Basically this, if your booked spare for the week (remembering we do up to 7 days rostered on the trot on some lines in the link) you can and will be constant minimum rest time going from lates to earlies visa versus where allowed.

A lot of people just see the money on the east coast. Our T&C’s compared to the majority of other TOC’s are pretty crap and I would seriously suggest doing your research before coming over if you are already qualified.
Thanks for this info. Can I please ask for some more info on what your T&Cs are at LNER please and what is your roster like & do you have a rest day pattern?
thank you

Legion

I still have to do the verbal reasoning. Is it easy to complete all questions or we run out of time like with the error checking?

Last edited:

NotAgain

Searching on the LNER Careers website brings it up for me, but I keep running into an error 403 acess forbidden message. Anyone else getting that?

tlionhart

Basically this, if your booked spare for the week (remembering we do up to 7 days rostered on the trot on some lines in the link) you can and will be constant minimum rest time going from lates to earlies visa versus where allowed.

A lot of people just see the money on the east coast. Our T&C’s compared to the majority of other TOC’s are pretty crap and I would seriously suggest doing your research before coming over if you are already qualified.

Thank you for your help

RMD

Hi all,

I completed the error checking assessment which led on to verbal reasoning. After completing VR I got an email maybe a couple of hours later inviting me to an online interview which I've just completed.

Online interview is pretty straightforward - 6 questions. Before each question you're given the question itself and a bit of time to prepare your answer, then 3 minutes to record your answer. Two attempts for each question if needed.

Best of luck

Lewis5949

Really hope this comes back, otherwise they'll be as bad as TfL for closing adverts early, a practise which should be illegal.

EDIT: And of course, no way to contact them... ffs.

skyhigh

Established Member
Really hope this comes back, otherwise they'll be as bad as TfL for closing adverts early, a practise which should be illegal.
Adverts closing early is common across all industries with sought after jobs. The best advice is apply early - frustrating but I don't see why it should be illegal.

NorthernTech

I still have to do the verbal reasoning. Is it easy to complete all questions or we run out of time like with the error checking?
I would have thought Preston to Leeds was over an hour, it may depend on when they do the Google map check but I’d imagine at rush hour it would be well over. Nothing to lose applying but I’ve been bounced on a few where I’ve been only a few mins over the travel timeframe requested.

Last edited:

Economist

The King's Cross one is back up, so I presume it was a technical glitch which caused it to be removed.

Legion

I would have thought Preston to Leeds was over an hour, it may depend on when they do the Google map check but I’d imagine at rush hour it would be well over. Nothing to lose applying but I’ve been bounced on a few where I’ve been only a few mins over the travel timeframe requested.
I have the option of staying at two locations, one is in Yorkshire.

utternoob

Are you supposed to complete the Error checking assesment was on a laptop using a trackpad, think i must of got half way through before time ran out.

NorthernTech

EDIT: And of course, no way to contact them... ffs.
How/why should this practiCe be illegal? You mean a company placing an advert that thousands want to apply for, receiving thousands of applications and therefore closing the job to stop over subscription and so they can then process the applicants who got in early enough to apply? Yes it’s frustrating to miss out, we’ve probably all been there, but the lesson learned is if you really want it, keep an eye out on the train company web pages and apply as soon as it comes up. Yes, it’s hard work, daily checks of numerous sites are a pain in the backside but it is what it is, demand is high! There is nothing wrong with the company closing the application process on a potential £70k+ job because you never applied in time. Sour grapes are not illegal they just taste bad.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I have combined Leeds & Kings Cross threads together as there will be similar questions no doubt shared regardless of whichever depot an individual applies for.

Lewis5949

How/why should this practiCe be illegal? You mean a company placing an advert that thousands want to apply for, receiving thousands of applications and therefore closing the job to stop over subscription and so they can then process the applicants who got in early enough to apply? Yes it’s frustrating to miss out, we’ve probably all been there, but the lesson learned is if you really want it, keep an eye out on the train company web pages and apply as soon as it comes up. Yes, it’s hard work, daily checks of numerous sites are a pain in the backside but it is what it is, demand is high! There is nothing wrong with the company closing the application process on a potential £70k+ job because you never applied in time. Sour grapes are not illegal they just taste bad.

They already know the advert will have a high demand, so just reduce the deadline from the start. It's much better to extend the deadline if they don't get enough applicants instead.

It is frustrating to miss out, but it doesn't have to be this way. It's awful recruitment practise which will have them miss many great applicants. They miss out on people who were going to apply after work, rest, childcare, or otherwise. I was working when I was informed of the advert. Should I have gone sick to fill in an application? There were people who were already applying and were cut off by the advert closing before they could submit. Does that sound like a good employer? Then in this case, many people were having issues with an extremely slow and buggy website, and now they've lost out too at no fault of their own.

I think that them closing the applications early is wrong. It happens across the industry (but not everyone) and probably others, but it isn't to do with it being a higher paying job. Demand of jobs is high overall. The recent MTREL Customer Experience Controller got 2,000 applications.

It's simple:
1) Have a shorter deadline and extend it instead
2) Allow those who have started the process to complete it beyond the adverts closure, giving maybe 24 hours notice
3) Have a website that is functional

Anyway, no more on this otherwise it'll be throwing the thread off topic.

skyhigh

Established Member
did you complete the error checking or time ran out ??
That kind of assessment is designed that you won't get to the end in the time alloted (helps to assess how you work under pressure).

utternoob

Hi, I've just done the assesments, I had 3 to do:

Train driver questions
Error Checking
Verbal Reasoning 1

Was there anymore you had to do? Just wondering, as I don't think I passed Verbal Reasoning...
ahhh crap i never got the verbal reasoning ?? just the first two, says i have no more to do?

ohh just got another email to do an test must be the verbal reasoning one

Last edited:

Sabali

Hey guys! The train driver questions I'm confused why I didn't reach the benchmark. I'm gonna apply for the leeds one now any tips. The questions are pretty basic! Choosing the most and least option

Status
Not open for further replies.