• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Apprentice Driver - Newcastle (09/02/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

driverdriver

Just done the video interview on my phone - no issues at all, was simple enough to follow :) good luck everyone with theirs. Any idea how soon we will hear anything back?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernTech

Just because it says you have to be within 60 minutes it doesn't mean they won't accept relocations.
That is in relation to your daily travel to work.
Now some companies won't accept but others will.
The 60 minute rule is well known throughout virtually every toc , some are even 45 minutes but those telling others it means you can't relocate are giving false information.
Lner may not allow it but that has nothing to do with the 60 minute rule.
If they do allow you to relocate you would have to prove you are within 60 minutes at the time of you starting with the company.
Apply, stick it in the cv and see what comes of it.
What on earth are you talking about? It has everything to do with the 60 minute rule, and with this thread being in relation to the Lner Newcastle advert, then I’d draw you attention to the section that says that there is a few Must haves.. And then further down, Be within 60 mins of location at the time of application! It doesn’t say you can make it up as you go along and maybe sometime in the future you may be able to sort accommodation nearby. I’m sure the reason why Lner have stated at the time of application is because people keep ignoring this and think it’s ok to relocate regardless. One particular thing that seems important to the role of train driver is being able to work to strict rules and regulations, if you can’t stick to the rules they have laid down in the job advert then how does this look for training and doing the job later?

Choochoo_loco

Just done the video interview on my phone - no issues at all, was simple enough to follow :) good luck everyone with theirs. Any idea how soon we will hear anything back?
how did you feel you did?
I’ve just done a practice talking to myself in my car driving home from work.
It felt very weird.
Think I will use my phone too as I have the most stable connection on there.
Good luck going to do mine tomorrow.

NUFC_DRIVER

Completed my video interview today.
Very straight forward and easy.
Nothing to be at all worried about.
Bring on the teams interview now I hope

WBFC345

Let’s hope we find out soon!

The job doesn’t end till Wednesday, probably not for a couple of weeks easily

Last edited:

magpiepotts

What on earth are you talking about? It has everything to do with the 60 minute rule, and with this thread being in relation to the Lner Newcastle advert, then I’d draw you attention to the section that says that there is a few Must haves.. And then further down, Be within 60 mins of location at the time of application! It doesn’t say you can make it up as you go along and maybe sometime in the future you may be able to sort accommodation nearby. I’m sure the reason why Lner have stated at the time of application is because people keep ignoring this and think it’s ok to relocate regardless. One particular thing that seems important to the role of train driver is being able to work to strict rules and regulations, if you can’t stick to the rules they have laid down in the job advert then how does this look for training and doing the job later?
Some tocs will allow applicants to relocate on the condition this is done before employment starts. As I already work on the railways and have every intention in moving to Newcastle I don't really see what the harm is in asking what lners view on this is. There is no making it up as I go along in regards to what the advert states however like I said before I work on the railways already so understand that some tocs don't have a problem with the relocation even though it isn't stated within job adverts

NorthernTech

Some tocs will allow applicants to relocate on the condition this is done before employment starts. As I already work on the railways and have every intention in moving to Newcastle I don't really see what the harm is in asking what lners view on this is. There is no making it up as I go along in regards to what the advert states however like I said before I work on the railways already so understand that some tocs don't have a problem with the relocation even though it isn't stated within job adverts
Yes, some do, but according to the EXACT wording of the job advert I’d say they are not too keen. Seems pretty obvious, but perhaps if you ask them they make a special exception for you. Asking them is not the same as applying and chancing your arm.. If you work on the railways, then you should know the in’s and out’s and the reasons why the TOC’s want people to be within travelling distance. The midlands isn’t close to Newcastle, and if you aren’t able to move for two years, then perhaps delayed due to house resale, stuck in a non-moving property ladder, house sale falls through etc etc then this will not work for this apprenticeship-to-driving time frame. If you apply along with a few others that live outside the 60 minutes stated, then as the job advert hits the number of max applications, the job will close and potentially rule out someone local who actually IS within the travel time. Why not just apply internally at your own TOC or another local one, and move once you are qualified? Failing that, wait til you are able to move and apply nearer the time. Saying you work on the railways and understand that some TOC’s don’t have a problem with relocating would say you haven‘t understood that Lner clearly don’t accept this.. But hey, make up your own reality, do what you want. Seems there are plenty who just apply anyway.. Let me guess, I’m in the wrong though yeah?! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Class2ldn

Like I said some companies allow relocations and some dont , they will all have a time limit which is normally 60 minutes due to fatigue , its not a hard and fast rule that they wont allow relocations.
If LNER dont thats fine but its not a nationwide rule just because it says 60 minutes.
Admittedly I havent read the full advert as it has no relevance to myself so I didn't see the bit about at time of application.
Northern for example dont allow trainees to relocate but they do with qualified.
Each toc has their own rules.
As someone whos been a qualified driver for nearly 15 years I know quite well how the railway works so im quite aware of what on earth im on about thanks.

Last edited:

NorthernTech

Like I said some companies allow relocations and some dont , they will all have a time limit which is normally 60 minutes due to fatigue , its not a hard and fast rule that they wont allow relocations.
If LNER dont thats fine but its not a nationwide rule just because it says 60 minutes.
Admittedly I havent read the full advert as it has no relevance to myself so I didn't see the bit about at time of application.
Northern for example dont allow trainees to relocate but they do with qualified.
Each toc has their own rules.
As someone whos been a qualified driver for nearly 15 years I know quite well how the railway works so im quite aware of what on earth im on about thanks.
But yet not about the advert in the thread you are discussing and advising people on.. You must be right though, cos you are a Driver! The thread is about a particular job, not the industry in general, but applying for this actual job as shown at the start of page 1. So if you are gonna advise people then I’d act like someone who works as a driver and show some credibility rather than telling people to ignore the information clearly set out by the company.

Last edited:

Volvictof

Not asking for specifics obviously but in general, what are the questions on the video interview about? I’m confident with competencies but since the advert states that the later interview is the competency based one, what is this one Based around? Or are they both competency based?

Class2ldn

But yet not about the advert in the thread you are discussing and advising people on.. You must be right though, cos you are a Driver! The thread is about a particular job, not the industry in general, but applying for this actual job as shown at the start of page 1. So if you are gonna advise people then I’d act like someone who works as a driver and show some credibility rather than telling people to ignore the information clearly set out by the company.
The point was that not all companies wont allow people to relocate just because it states 60 minutes.
Anyway its a pointless argument.
We've established lner wont allow it so thats that.
You seem very insistent on many threads to state that certain companies wont allow relocating, blah blah blah, maybe you should concentrate on your own desire to get into the industry rather then trying to put other people off.
Anyway I've got a train to drive.
Enjoy your day.

baz962

Established Member
To be fair my old toc stipulated an hour for the trainee recruitment drive that I was taken on for and allowed a trainee to relocate from Newcastle to London.

NorthernTech

The point was that not all companies wont allow people to relocate just because it states 60 minutes.
Anyway its a pointless argument.
We've established lner wont allow it so thats that.
You seem very insistent on many threads to state that certain companies wont allow relocating, blah blah blah, maybe you should concentrate on your own desire to get into the industry rather then trying to put other people off.
Anyway I've got a train to drive.
Enjoy your day.
Just here to help people like other genuine people have helped me so far. But help people with the correct information. Enjoy driving your train.

To be fair my old toc stipulated an hour for the trainee recruitment drive that I was taken on for and allowed a trainee to relocate from Newcastle to London.
Hull Trains recently recruited for trainee drivers and actually stated that they would allow relocation, which is the first one in a while where I have seen a company openly offer it. But clearly Lner, in their wording of the advert, are not accepting of it, or with having to really make it clear, possibly a bit fed up of people trying.

Choochoo_loco

Can anyone confirm it’s 6 questions you get asked in total with 2 attempts for each .
Only asking as it states in my email to set aside 30 mins but don’t worry you won’t need that.
I’m guess that’s if you do all the recordings well on your first attempt!
Doing mine this morning and pretty nervous now…

Volvictof

Can anyone confirm it’s 6 questions you get asked in total with 2 attempts for each .
Only asking as it states in my email to set aside 30 mins but don’t worry you won’t need that.
Good luck

WBFC345

How did you get on?

Choochoo_loco

How did you get on?
It went ok. Felt I answered some questions perfectly but stumbled abit on others . As usual afterwards I’m realising there’s quite abit I could of added that I missed out but that’s the name of the game when recording yourself under pressure.
So could of went better but could of gone worse. Now just a waiting game.
How about you?

WBFC345

It went ok. Felt I answered some questions perfectly but stumbled abit on others . As usual afterwards I’m realising there’s quite abit I could of added that I missed out but that’s the name of the game when recording yourself under pressure.
So could of went better but could of gone worse. Now just a waiting game.
How about you?
I think I answered them well, put as much relevant information into my answers as I could without going off on a tangent, it’s a waiting game now, do you have any ideas how long we will be waiting ?

Choochoo_loco

I think I answered them well, put as much relevant information into my answers as I could without going off on a tangent, it’s a waiting game now, do you have any ideas how long we will be waiting ?
It’s going to be a good few weeks I’d guess. The vacancy is still open for people to apply until the 16th then those that pass the tests will be given a further 3 days to do their video interviews too. Then they will all need to be assessed also.
Can’t imagine they will conduct any teams interviews until all the video interviews have been carried out .
Could be wrong though as they do seem to be moving very quickly so far compared with other TOC’s.
It’s impressive!

WBFC345

Yeah I agree with you, I imagine probably a couple of weeks from when the vacancy ends, I’m very impressed with how quick and seamless it has been so far! Hoping for a teams interview
It’s going to be a good few weeks I’d guess. The vacancy is still open for people to apply until the 16th then those that pass the tests will be given a further 3 days to do their video interviews too. Then they will all need to be assessed also.
Can’t imagine they will conduct any teams interviews until all the video interviews have been carried out .
Could be wrong though as they do seem to be moving very quickly so far compared with other TOC’s.
It’s impressive

It’s impressive!
Do you know if they assess the video interviews and check CV to decide who is going get invited to a teams interview ?

TuftyM

I'm looking at applying but unsure whether lner take applications for people that live more than 60 minutes away. I currently live in the Midlands and work as a senior conductor for London northwestern railways. I am going to move to the Newcastle area in the near future and will be willing to relocate of successful. Just unsure whether lner take applications on people looking to relocate
I am in a similar position in that I currently live in Cardiff and work for TFW. I decided a few years ago that I wanted to return home. I bought a house in South Shields in December 2019 thinking that by mid 2020 a position at Newcastle Central would be sorted and I would be ready to move at the end of my months notice. Unfortunately we were not aware that Covid was coming and timetables would be cut back and some staff furloughed etc. meaning less recruitment. As I work the 5 day shift I get every sixth week off so my wife and I go up to visit family and do some work on the house. It is minimally furnished at the moment but comfortable enough and I could move in anytime necessary. As things stand I have paid council tax and utility bills for two years at both addresses. My CV address is my Shields one but on the application I did explain that I live and work in Cardiff but own a house up there and will relocate on being given a start date. In our company we do have some crew who have family homes in different cities but live in digs for their work week then go back to home for time off. As has been said different TOCs have different rules but hopefully it will be accepted that I own a home in the area, it is designated by ST council as a holiday home but I really hope that soon it will be our permanent home along with a job at LNER.

Class2ldn

Little bit different if you have a legitimate house in the area you want to move to, hopefully they will accept that

NorthernTech

Little bit different if you have a legitimate house in the area you want to move to, hopefully they will accept that
Totally agree! Dont see why not at all.

I am in a similar position in that I currently live in Cardiff and work for TFW. I decided a few years ago that I wanted to return home. I bought a house in South Shields in December 2019 thinking that by mid 2020 a position at Newcastle Central would be sorted and I would be ready to move at the end of my months notice. Unfortunately we were not aware that Covid was coming and timetables would be cut back and some staff furloughed etc. meaning less recruitment. As I work the 5 day shift I get every sixth week off so my wife and I go up to visit family and do some work on the house. It is minimally furnished at the moment but comfortable enough and I could move in anytime necessary. As things stand I have paid council tax and utility bills for two years at both addresses. My CV address is my Shields one but on the application I did explain that I live and work in Cardiff but own a house up there and will relocate on being given a start date. In our company we do have some crew who have family homes in different cities but live in digs for their work week then go back to home for time off. As has been said different TOCs have different rules but hopefully it will be accepted that I own a home in the area, it is designated by ST council as a holiday home but I really hope that soon it will be our permanent home along with a job at LNER.
With all the evidence of having a property there I can’t see the problem. You have a base to live in that you own, job done! Good luck with the application

TuftyM

Totally agree! Dont see why not at all.

With all the evidence of having a property there I can’t see the problem. You have a base to live in that you own, job done! Good luck with the application
Thanks to the two previous posters for the comments. I did the application and following tests yesterday and was given the video interview details. Was going to do this today but with it being a Welsh rugby day it can get quite stressful with trains full and passengers left on platforms. In the end I just sat here and worked out what type of questions they may ask and tried to think how best to answer them, no doubt I will be asked questions completely different to what I believe and be left going erm, err. Today was my last day for two weeks and we had planned to drive up tomorrow but now I think I will do the video instead and head up early Monday. Plan is to strip all the upstairs door frames and repaint and then replace the loft hatch. After that all I need is carpets for three bedrooms and that will be about it. Home sweet home , I hope.

Maxboy3108

The first test is a Scenario based one, basically have to choose what you are most and least likely to do. Then the second was an error checking based one, where you are presented with sets of data and have to cross-reference with another set to pick out any errors (this is timed). Then the final one was a verbal reasoning test which involved a series of statements with questions on each, basically to see how you interpret the text. The instructions are pretty clear for each :) After each one you will either get an email inviting you to do the next, or an email letting you know you didn't score highly enough - this was pretty quick for me after each.

Received my invite to video interview last night so I'll be doing that today! Good luck everyone.
Thank you

JamesGareth

I’m pretty frustrated. I got all the way through last time around, passed the psychometric assessment which I now have for 5 years and failed on the MMI. This time around i have failed the 3rd online assessment. Go figure…. Best of luck to the people who are successful for the video interview.

djwyns

I submitted my application on Saturday, felt a bit disheartened after the error test but knowing it's basically impossible to finish I'm feeling a lot better. Got the email to do my video interview today so going to do that tomorrow. Feeling nervous because I've never done anything like that before but it's all experience. Good luck everyone!

Jeffers

Do you only advance through the assessments if you meet a threshold, or are you expected to complete the assessments and then wait for further instructions?

How long do you get for the checking assessment, i did one a while back and you got 10 minutes?

djwyns

Do you only advance through the assessments if you meet a threshold, or are you expected to complete the assessments and then wait for further instructions?

How long do you get for the checking assessment, i did one a while back and you got 10 minutes?
It's still 10 minutes to answer 50 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.