• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Azuma (Class 800/801)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railperf

Established Member
Is there a standard unreserved coach on these?
There may be a coach that is less likely to be reserved - but as LNER have an online reservation in which you can visualise the seating layout for each coach and individually select your seat, then it is likely there will be some reserved seats in all coaches. But maybe if you simply accept an automatically selected seat, these may end up concentrated in certain coaches. I think on Class 91's it tends to be coach B that was unreserved, but someone may correct me if I am wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, quite, far lower than particularly the venerable Grammer IC3000, and lower too than ironing boards. Probably also lower than Chapmans. So not that high at all! :)

The IET seat backs are the ideal height, in my opinion - but should we really start yet another seat debate???

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
There may be a coach that is less likely to be reserved - but as LNER have an online reservation in which you can visualise the seating layout for each coach and individually select your seat, then it is likely there will be some reserved seats in all coaches. But maybe if you simply accept an automatically selected seat, these may end up concentrated in certain coaches. I think on Class 91's it tends to be coach B that was unreserved, but someone may correct me if I am wrong.

That's no problem - coach H I believe is unreserved on the 225's. Coach B is reserved on CrossCountry trains though (note the XC HST's its the Standard Class section of Coach B that is unreserved).

K.o.R

The orange line around the roof.....it’s an electrification warning right?
Why does it go over the headlight rather than under it, are there any rules on its height?

Thanks, now I can't unsee that :lol:

The line is yellow around the headlight rather than orange.

They needed 5cm² more of yellow for the front to be compliant ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The IET seat backs are the ideal height, in my opinion - but should we really start yet another seat debate???

I think someone already did :D

Yep and this time it's my fault and after all my messages asking that we avoid it as well :oops::oops::oops:

Let's learn from my bad example and end it here for the next iteration of the great seat debate shall we?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yep and this time it's my fault and after all my messages asking that we avoid it as well :oops::oops::oops:

Let's learn from my bad example and end it here for the next iteration of the great seat debate shall we?
Diagram info is reappearing here too, if you happen to be on a roll... :D

westv

Established Member

Presumably that doesn't refer to any seat discussion specific to Azumas?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We've had requests that discussion of seats relating Azumas and IETs not be allowed on the threads discussing those trains. The points have been made at great length and in great detail. Litterally page after page after page. As such we wish to avoid people discussing them on threads like this.

Discussion is not however outlawed from the Forum but would need to be in a new thread. Perhaps titled "Thoughts on Azuma seating".

I hope that makes sense.

SHFTraveller

Thought I'd join after my first Experience with the Azuma today.

Only did from Stevenage to Doncaster today (luckily).
Positives - On-Time journey, quiet coach was quite, seat reservations easy to read
Negitives - Laptop doesn't balance well on the table extension, can see the toilet floor getting wet as the tap nozzle is quite high above the actual sink and after an hour, my back hurts

transmanche

Established Member
Table extension?
The fold-down seat-back tables are not really big enough to fit a laptop on, so there's a little pull out 'extension' bit.

You can see the bit you pull out in this picture, although I've not seen a photo with it extended.

azuma-standard-class-no-credit-18-1024x576.jpg

Photo shows an LNER Azuma seat-back fold-down table.

westv

Established Member
Ok. I didn't even realise you could pull it out. Will give that a go tomorrow.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's amazing how much better that interior looks simply by changing the colour of it. GWR really should take note and get some of the classy dark green into it like the commuter EMUs have.

(It probably does help that red, white and grey is a colour scheme that really works for me - indeed it's the colour scheme of my lounge! :) I've got laminate flooring but I'd happily even have the carpet...not swapping my sofa for those seats though :D )

Last edited:

D6700

Good Luck attempting to sit on that.

I'll give it a miss - I've already had one accident with a sink this week, which resulted in me walking around an airport wearing a soaked T-shirt!

Welcome to the forum, by the way :)

AndyB56

Planning a trip to the States in January for 2 Weeks (via Gatwick so travelling south)can't help think the luggage space is inferior to that of the 225's, especially for larger luggage. Point shown here a weekend suitcase and a small backpack on the luggage rack.

Attachments

• IMG_20190606_164615.jpg
    IMG_20190606_164615.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20190606_164608.jpg
    IMG_20190606_164608.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 121

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Planning a trip to the States in January for 2 Weeks (via Gatwick so travelling south)can't help think the luggage space is inferior to that of the 225's, especially for larger luggage. Point shown here a weekend suitcase and a small backpack on the luggage rack.

Both of those items will easily fit the massive overheads (biggest of any UK train), leaving that rack free for larger items.

AndyB56

Both of those items will easily fit the massive overheads (biggest of any UK train), leaving that rack free for larger items.

Not my luggage but still I'm not convinced by the amount of space. Travel loads on rush hour 225s out of Leeds, to the point I've seen it overflowing into the vestibules.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not my luggage but still I'm not convinced by the amount of space. Travel loads on rush hour 225s out of Leeds, to the point I've seen it overflowing into the vestibules.

With Class 350s this is primarily because people are too bone idle to put their bag in the spacious overheads, or to ask someone else to assist with doing so if it's a bit awkward to do themselves.

With Voyagers there's an actual issue as the overheads are tiny. No such issue with 80x.

That said, I probably would fit more/larger racks in place of the narrow, non-window-view seats at the end.

Midnight Sun

With Class 350s this is primarily because people are too bone idle to put their bag in the spacious overheads, or to ask someone else to assist with doing so if it's a bit awkward to do themselves.

Joe Public simple don't like having heavy items above their heads. Ever had a case or bag dropped on you when someone was taking down their stuff.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Fortunately the IC stock on the ECML has always been blessed with generous overhead luggage rack provision, but it's good to see that Hitachi haven't gone down the route of stupidly restrictive ones, which seemed to be rife in early noughties built trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.