• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Up_Tilt_390

I feel this may warrant it's own discussion, but since we all know that Virgin Trains East Coast will be going down the gutter later this month, have there been any plans or concept arts unveiled for what will be the livery for the new operator of London North Eastern Railway? Judging by the logos we've been given we can guess it will be red and white of some sorts, but aside from that's it's pretty vague as to what we can expect.

I've heard some suggest that the Virgin logo will simply be torn off and replaced with an LNER Vinyl, but then if that were to be the case, then East Coast didn't really need to change it's colours from National Express East Anglia when it took over, but nevertheless it still did. I mean if it was as simple as just changing the logo I imagine some companies would've just tried saving money, and since the DfT prefers simple liveries so future operators can easily change I presume brand licensing comes in.

Any future discussion on the LNER livery once it's unveiled or confirmed can be discussed here too, since this thread kind of needs some justification for existing in the long-term. But ultimately, do we have any idea what the LNER livery will end up like yet and can it really be just as simple as changing the logo, and also will this livery be franchised rather than just one of the operator? Also if you want you can maybe put in your own images of what you think it will, or should, look like.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
I've heard some suggest that the Virgin logo will simply be torn off and replaced with an LNER Vinyl, but then if that were to be the case, then East Coast didn't really need to change it's colours from National Express East Anglia when it took over, but nevertheless it still did. I mean if it was as simple as just changing the logo I imagine some companies would've just tried saving money, and since the DfT prefers simple liveries so future operators can easily change I presume brand licensing comes in.
East Coast taking over from National Express was a bit different, as with the exception of 91111, the entire IC225 fleet was still in de-branded GNER livery, with only the HSTs (and 91111) wearing NXEC livery. The IC225s (including 91111) were re-liveried into the EC livery quite quickly, but many of the HSTs never did carry EC livery and remained in NXEC livery until VTEC re-liveried them.

91101 will need to be completely re-liveried to get rid of the Virgin logo, see below: (image from Google)
35970705581_8ea2e63a59_b.jpg

How many other 91s carry special liveries that were applied by VTEC? I think they'll also all need to be completely re-liveried to get rid of the Virgin logo.

corsaVXR

A couple of concepts were dreamt up on twitter:

https://twitter.com/TomTheDoodler/status/996818229132742657

https://twitter.com/TomTheDoodler/status/997225625663492097

One of the parts of the DfT document about the decision mentioned that LNER would be the long term brand for the franchise, therefore future operators would not have to rebrand every time it was re-franchised. So a long term livery, instead of just stickers over the logo could be introduced relatively quickly - especially for the IETs.

Up_Tilt_390

One of the parts of the DfT document about the decision mentioned that LNER would be the long term brand for the franchise, therefore future operators would not have to rebrand every time it was re-franchised. So a long term livery, instead of just stickers over the logo could be introduced relatively quickly - especially for the IETs.

Those liveries are alright, but they don't really match the red logo we've been given, plus I think they're a bit all over the place with linings. I prefer simple yet sweet

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member
Those liveries are alright, but they don't really match the red logo we've been given, plus I think they're a bit all over the place with linings. I prefer simple yet sweet

Indeed. I think all over dark blue with silver details would have looked nice but there's not much chance of that being used!

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'd expect minimal rebranding of the HST and 225 fleets to remove the Virgin branding, and a new livery to be introduced on the IETs as they enter service which may entirely eschew the red/white scheme that we're seeing at present, the primary benefit of which is that it matches the Virgin base livery.

Clip

Established Member
They should be painted in black and white and kept that way forever. Had enough of rattling round in mackem colours thanks

pdeaves

Established Member

The green/teak one, whilst looking nice in the 'artist's impression', is highly unlikely to be the way forward. I can't see anyone thinking wood effect vinyls would look good in real use.

ash39

Established Member
I knocked this up in photoshop a couple of weeks back ...

Also worth noting that LNER are now said to be keeping the 'Azuma' moniker that Virgin bestowed upon them. I don't know if that means they will also use the flowing silk livery, or whether that's a trademark of Virgin.

corsaVXR

Also worth noting that LNER are now said to be keeping the 'Azuma' moniker that Virgin bestowed upon them. I don't know if that means they will also use the flowing silk livery, or whether that's a trademark of Virgin.

Very reminiscent of original virgin trains

ash39

Established Member
Yes a little, but the intermediate vehicles would be just plain red with black window band & doors, with a single white stripe. I think it would age well.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

The green/teak one, whilst looking nice in the 'artist's impression', is highly unlikely to be the way forward. I can't see anyone thinking wood effect vinyls would look good in real use.

The green as a main colour (with or without yellow ends) with brown doors for contrast wouldn't be terrible. The inverse would be more authentic but:

Picture a 5-car Azuma (still a stupid name by the way!) in brown...?

Well, I'm not sure about that! :lol:

ash39

Established Member
Azuma (still a stupid name by the way!)

Totally agree. Pendolino & Voyager stuck as names because they sound good and roll off the tongue quicker than 'Class 390' or 'Class 220'

Anyone still calling Class 180's 'Adelantes' ? No, it's a stupid name.

I suspect, regardless of how hard they push the name, people will just refer to them as IET's or 80X's ...

Master29

Established Member
Totally agree. Pendolino & Voyager stuck as names because they sound good and roll off the tongue quicker than 'Class 390' or 'Class 220'

I suspect, regardless of how hard they push the name, people will just refer to them as IET's or 80X's ...

You`re forgetting HST`s in that equation. The names of IC125 and 253/4 long seem to have been forgotten and 43 doesn`t roll off the tongue so well either..

Andyh82

Established Member

I bet they won’t.

Not outside of enthusiast circles anyway.

At the end of the day the Pendolino is pretty much the only train model name that is in common usage with the general public

Bornin1980s

I think Grand Central planned to name their 180s 'Zephers,' after a famous American train, but they very rarely used that name, and I think they have acquired the rights to the old name. I much prefer 'Zepher.'

Up_Tilt_390

I recently finished artwork on a Class 800/801 set that was painted in a mostly red scheme in a similar plan to GWR Green. It was done through Paint so it's not as good quality, and it's obviously an edited image as well, so the angle was too awkward to fit in the LNER logo.

Attachments

• LNER 8001.png
    LNER 8001.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 344

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

That reminds me of the original Virgin Trains livery, as used on the legacy stock.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Whatever they opt for, I hope it's not one of these awful all/mostly drab dark grey-based liveries that seem to be springing up.

FQTV

I suspect that the ‘Azuma’ Nippon stick-on branding won’t hack it either.

Even the generic ‘Bullet Train’ moniker oft-used by print media probably has more traction.

DanNCL

Established Member
The flowing silk livery is now being applied to the 390s which would suggest it's a trademark of Virgin, so that'll be pretty much guaranteed not to appear on the 800s/801s.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The flowing silk livery is now being applied to the 390s which would suggest it's a trademark of Virgin, so that'll be pretty much guaranteed not to appear on the 800s/801s.

Isn't the West Coast franchise ending up like so many other though? With a permanent livery to suit the franchise rather than the operator?

Up_Tilt_390

Isn't the West Coast franchise ending up like so many other though? With a permanent livery to suit the franchise rather than the operator?

Doesn't seem to be the case here. Virgin designed the livery themselves, so I think they hold the trademark and licensing to the current "Flowing Silk" livery. Kind of glad in a way, cause while nice it just does not suit the Class 390 units. The yellow should've stayed as a smile, since it actually looked like part of a colour scheme than a legal requirement.

DanNCL

Established Member
It will from the beginning of the new franchise next year, but that hasn't stopped Virgin putting their logo on the repainted 390s:
1200px-390_016_Virgin_Trains_New_Livery.png

The livery on the front and rear coaches is definitely the same as the livery applied to 800101, so the livery is definitely trademarked by Virgin, and I think it's safe to say that it's guaranteed the LNER 80x fleet will not be recieving this livery, leaving 801101 as the only 80x unit to wear this livery (and will probably be rebranded before entering service).

Up_Tilt_390

It will from the beginning of the new franchise next year, but that hasn't stopped Virgin putting their logo on the repainted 390s:
1200px-390_016_Virgin_Trains_New_Livery.png

The livery on the front and rear coaches is definitely the same as the livery applied to 800101, so the livery is definitely trademarked by Virgin, and I think it's safe to say that it's guaranteed the LNER 80x fleet will not be recieving this livery, leaving 801101 as the only 80x unit to wear this livery (and will probably be rebranded before entering service).

It is quite funny when you consider the fact Virgin chose that livery because they wanted to make it look like theirs. This didn't make much sense to me though since the old livery was just as Virgin as this one, which is probably less Virgin since it was originally applied to a train that was ran by a company that was 90% Stagecoach. It was really just Virgin in name only, as is a lot of Virgin-branded products.

Status
Not open for further replies.