• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Local politician out of touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipness

As a result of Chris Grayling's announcement about "reversing Beeching" the BBC E Midlands featured two local politicians making suggestions about what routes they would propose.
No problem with first suggestion, extending the Robin Hood line to serve Edwinstowe and Warsop.
However, number two suggested re-opening the Buxton to Manchester line. Obviously he didn't know that the Buxton to Manchester line is very much still open with a well patronised hourly service. What he was probably thinking of was re-instating the old Midland Railway main line between Matlock and Buxton. (Northwards of the quarries in the Buxton area this is also still open carrying limestone, with several trains a day)
The southern part of the Matlock - Buxton is currently occupied by Peak Rail as far north as Rowsley, but with plans to extend towards Bakewell. The section from Bakewell northwards is now used as a very popular cycle way and footpath through Monsal Dale etc.
In my opinion any change to the status quo is unlikely.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member
Did he mean Matlock to Buxton? It would be very useful as an east/west link although it is unlikely in the near term.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If he did mean Matlock to Buxton (it's easy to tongue tied around place names when you're on the spot) then I would say its quite a good idea. There are lots of disused lines that would be of no use reopened, and a preserved railway could be given a helping hand to relocate to one of them.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Must have meant Matlock to Buxton as it is at least in the East Midlands (well, Derbyshire).

Anyway, it has been discussed to death before. I understand the superficial appeal but schemes like Edwinstowe do at least bring decent sized centres of population onto the network.

People keep forgetting how small Bakewell is (<5,000, with station site way out of the 'town' up a hill) and there really is nowhere else on the line.

mike57

Established Member
Two thoughts here:

A politician out of touch, whats the surprise there... In my opinion its more unusual to find one who is 'in touch' Its not a party political thing, all parties suffer from this. Think MP's whose links to an area are tenuous.

On the subject of if he meant Matlock - Buxton, I suspect there are a good number of lines that were closed as part of the Beeching cuts that, had they survived would now be enjoying a resurgence of traffic. Buxton - Matlock is I reckon one of those, but re-opening although a 'nice to have' seems very unlikely in the current climate.

al78

Established Member
Two thoughts here:

A politician out of touch, whats the surprise there... In my opinion its more unusual to find one who is 'in touch' Its not a party political thing, all parties suffer from this. Think MP's whose links to an area are tenuous.

It is not just politicians, all people are like this to some extent. Everyone is ignorant in something, and the ignorant are often unaware of their own ignorance (because you only know what being an authority in a subject means if you have the knowledge required to be an authority), and throw opinions and factoids out oblivious as to how objectively sensible they are. It takes discipline of the ego to accept that someone else knows more than you on something.

thenorthern

Established Member
I get BBC East Midlands Today but even though I live in the West Midlands. :D

BBC East Midlands Today features strange stories sometimes though as nothing really happens in the region compared to other BBC regions and I think this may be one of them. There have been plans to re-open the line from Matlock to Buxton for many years although I can't see it happening.

Back in 2004 there were some very serious plans about a Matlock to Buxton rail link and I went to a consultation about it in the Derby Assembly Rooms. There is a link below to the plans from 2004 but they were rejected at the time for not being cost effective which I think will still be the case now.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050207225713/http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk:80/railproject/index.htm

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
With regard to the thread title:

In other news, it has been revealed that the Pope follows Roman-Catholic doctrine; and that ursine creatures prefer to defecate in areas of tree coverage.

IanD

Established Member
Given that the article was about the East Midlands then calling for the re-opening of the line to Buxton and Manchester does not seem unreasonable. Yes, the line between Buxton and Manchester is open but the bit that connects it to the East Midlands is not.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I get BBC East Midlands Today but even though I live in the West Midlands. :D

BBC East Midlands Today features strange stories sometimes though as nothing really happens in the region compared to other BBC regions and I think this may be one of them. There have been plans to re-open the line from Matlock to Buxton for many years although I can't see it happening.

Back in 2004 there were some very serious plans about a Matlock to Buxton rail link and I went to a consultation about it in the Derby Assembly Rooms. There is a link below to the plans from 2004 but they were rejected at the time for not being cost effective which I think will still be the case now.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050207225713/http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk:80/railproject/index.htm

Indeed, a sensible proposal which for some options was found to cover it's running costs, even at 2004 traffic levels.

Of course the capital investment couldn't be justified because improved access to disconnected settlements doesn't show up as much of a benefit in terms of existing services.

Status
Not open for further replies.