• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locations of Permit To Travel Machines?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
This is a list of the start dates for all the areas that used PERTIS. The furthest north they went were in the West Yorkshire area although they were all removed after 3 years.

16-Nov-88 London/Tilbury/Southend
20-Jan-92 South London
16-Mar-92 Kent Coast
19-Oct-92 Great Eastern
19-Oct-92 West Anglia
16-Nov-92 Solent & Wessex
16-Nov-92 South Western
16-Nov-92 Sussex Coast
22-Feb-93 Great Northern
05-Apr-93 Chiltern
05-Apr-93 Kent
03-Oct-93 Birmingham-Dorridge
14-Dec-92 Thameslink
06-Dec-93 Great Western
14-Nov-94 Birmingham-Leamington Spa/Stratford-upon-Avon
03-Apr-95 North London/Silverlink
27-Jun-95 Birmingham area (remainder)
29-Jan-01 West Yorkshire (all were removed by 01-Jan-04)
07-Oct-09 Medway Valley
-Jul-10 East Midlands (Metric Aura)

It was me that uploaded the list of serial numbers earlier in the thread.
I have all but 2 of the serial numbers for the West Yorkshire area (14276 - 14310)
One thing that I will add, both Brighouse (which opened on 28th May 2000) and Glasshoughton (sometime in 2004) never had any PERTIS Permit to Travel machines installed. When Brighouse first opened I was expecting to see some form of ticket machine installed based on what I'd seen at Amberley railway station in 1998.

It would be interesting to know which ones in West Yorkshire were removed from the first to the last.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrColours

I have gone around the country to confirm where the last PERTIS machines are located. I believe that there are 37 machines across the whole country now and I have been to all of them. This is through what people have said recently and Google Maps where possible. These are the remaining ones as listed by TOC managing the station:

Chiltern Railways
  • Debden Golf Club (Working, visited 01/07/23, later confirmed Out Of Use, 12/07/23)
  • Little Kimble (OOU, visited 01/07/23)
  • Lapworth (OOU, visited 10/07/23)
  • Hatton (Working, visited 10/07/23)
Great Western Railway
  • Didcot Parkway (Dead, visited 08/07/23)
Greater Anglia
  • Wrabness (Dead, visited 07/07/23)
  • White Notley (Dead, visited 07/07/23)
  • Cressing (Dead, visited 07/07/23)
South Western Railway
  • Beaulieu Road (Out of Service, visited 10/07/23)
  • Longcross (OOS, visited 10/07/23)
  • Redbridge (Working, visited 10/07/23)
  • Millbrook (OOS, visited 10/07/23)
  • Holton Heath (OOS, visited 15/07/23)
GTR (Great Northern)
  • Foxton (OOU, visited 11/07/23)
  • Watton-At-Stone (OOU & Pay At Ticket Office, visited 11/07/23)
GTR (Thameslink)
  • Loughborough Junction (Dead, visited 11/07/23)
  • Haydons Road (Coin Jam, visited 19/07/23)
  • Wimbledon Chase (Coin Jam, visited 19/07/23)
  • South Merton (Dead, visited 19/07/23)
  • Morden South (Dead, visited 19/07/23)
  • Sutton Common (OOU, visited 19/07/23)
  • West Sutton (OOU, visited 19/07/23)
GTR (Southern)
  • Glynde (Dead, visited 06/07/23)
  • Warblington (OOU, visited 09/07/23)
  • Nutbourne (OOU, visited 09/07/23)
  • Fishbourne (OOU, visited 09/07/23)
  • Ford (OOU, visited 09/07/23)
  • North Dulwich (Dead, visited 11/07/23)
  • East Worthing (OOU, visited 15/07/23)
  • Portslade (OOU, visited 15/07/23)
  • Fishersgate (Dead, visited 15/07/23)
  • Faygate (No Amount Displayed, visited 17/07/23)
  • Holmwood (Dead, visited 17/07/23)
  • Salfords (PATO, visited 17/07/23)
  • Southease (Both Dead, visited 18/07/23)
  • Cooksbridge (Dead, visited 18/07/23)
  • Plumpton (OOU & PATO, visited 18/07/23)
My general thoughts were that I was surprised GWR and GA still had some PERTIS machines, though they have not worked in a very long time. Chiltern are actively removing theirs, as the Sudbury and Ruislip (among others) machines were removed this year. Despite working at the start of this month, Debden Golf Club is likely next gone, with the others probably soon going. I doubt any of the machines are going to get fixed, apart from maybe those on SWR, since all but Millbrook are listed in station facilities. All the other machines are probably long gone.

As for the machines that were not Dead (no power to the machine), Out of Use or Out of Service:
  • Hatton is currently the best machine to go to for a Permit to Travel ticket. Though since it is on Chiltern this may go soon, and there is no knowing when this one will break.
  • Redbridge works, kind of. A ticket is printed, but the date and station is at a 90 degree angle to the Permit to Travel ticket. Also, the date when I got it reads "13 Jan 98", so I doubt you can actually use this to legitimately travel.
  • Haydons Road and Wimbledon Chase look fine (Time and Amount are displayed, even if the time is 1 hour off, probably due to it being on GMT), but something is jammed in the Coin Slot.
  • Faygate has No Amount displayed. The time does appear but you are not going to get a Permit to Travel ticket out of it.
  • Salfords is always on "Pay At Ticket Office" even when the Ticket Office is closed. Probably never going to be turned on to print out Permit to Travel tickets anymore.
Here is the map of all of the remaining PERTIS machines: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=12kaKMGJomMjbjOvzA0vd2iQoazs_hH4&ll=51.451115073341164,0.22724849165166372&z=8

LowLevel

Established Member
The PERTIS machine at Spondon has, if I noticed correctly the other day working through there, now gone and it is back to just pay on the train for now, though I believe the Smart Kiosk that was on test at the rear of Derby station is eventually destined for there.

Cheatcode

I have gone around the country to confirm where the last PERTIS machines are located. I believe that there are 37 machines across the whole country now and I have been to all of them. This is through what people have said recently and Google Maps where possible. These are the remaining ones as listed by TOC managing the station:

Chiltern Railways
  • Debden Golf Club (Working, visited 01/07/23, later confirmed Out Of Use, 12/07/23)
  • Little Kimble (OOU, visited 01/07/23)
  • Lapworth (OOU, visited 10/07/23)
  • Hatton (Working, visited 10/07/23)
Great Western Railway
  • Didcot Parkway (Dead, visited 08/07/23)
Greater Anglia
  • Wrabness (Dead, visited 07/07/23)
  • White Notley (Dead, visited 07/07/23)
  • Cressing (Dead, visited 07/07/23)
South Western Railway
  • Beaulieu Road (Out of Service, visited 10/07/23)
  • Longcross (OOS, visited 10/07/23)
  • Redbridge (Working, visited 10/07/23)
  • Millbrook (OOS, visited 10/07/23)
  • Holton Heath (OOS, visited 15/07/23)
GTR (Great Northern)
  • Foxton (OOU, visited 11/07/23)
  • Watton-At-Stone (OOU & Pay At Ticket Office, visited 11/07/23)
GTR (Thameslink)
  • Loughborough Junction (Dead, visited 11/07/23)
  • Haydons Road (Coin Jam, visited 19/07/23)
  • Wimbledon Chase (Coin Jam, visited 19/07/23)
  • South Merton (Dead, visited 19/07/23)
  • Morden South (Dead, visited 19/07/23)
  • Sutton Common (OOU, visited 19/07/23)
  • West Sutton (OOU, visited 19/07/23)
GTR (Southern)
  • Glynde (Dead, visited 06/07/23)
  • Warblington (OOU, visited 09/07/23)
  • Nutbourne (OOU, visited 09/07/23)
  • Fishbourne (OOU, visited 09/07/23)
  • Ford (OOU, visited 09/07/23)
  • North Dulwich (Dead, visited 11/07/23)
  • East Worthing (OOU, visited 15/07/23)
  • Portslade (OOU, visited 15/07/23)
  • Fishersgate (Dead, visited 15/07/23)
  • Faygate (No Amount Displayed, visited 17/07/23)
  • Holmwood (Dead, visited 17/07/23)
  • Salfords (PATO, visited 17/07/23)
  • Southease (Both Dead, visited 18/07/23)
  • Cooksbridge (Dead, visited 18/07/23)
  • Plumpton (OOU & PATO, visited 18/07/23)
My general thoughts were that I was surprised GWR and GA still had some PERTIS machines, though they have not worked in a very long time. Chiltern are actively removing theirs, as the Sudbury and Ruislip (among others) machines were removed this year. Despite working at the start of this month, Debden Golf Club is likely next gone, with the others probably soon going. I doubt any of the machines are going to get fixed, apart from maybe those on SWR, since all but Millbrook are listed in station facilities. All the other machines are probably long gone.

As for the machines that were not Dead (no power to the machine), Out of Use or Out of Service:
  • Hatton is currently the best machine to go to for a Permit to Travel ticket. Though since it is on Chiltern this may go soon, and there is no knowing when this one will break.
  • Redbridge works, kind of. A ticket is printed, but the date and station is at a 90 degree angle to the Permit to Travel ticket. Also, the date when I got it reads "13 Jan 98", so I doubt you can actually use this to legitimately travel.
  • Haydons Road and Wimbledon Chase look fine (Time and Amount are displayed, even if the time is 1 hour off, probably due to it being on GMT), but something is jammed in the Coin Slot.
  • Faygate has No Amount displayed. The time does appear but you are not going to get a Permit to Travel ticket out of it.
  • Salfords is always on "Pay At Ticket Office" even when the Ticket Office is closed. Probably never going to be turned on to print out Permit to Travel tickets anymore.
Here is the map of all of the remaining PERTIS machines: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=12kaKMGJomMjbjOvzA0vd2iQoazs_hH4&ll=51.451115073341164,0.22724849165166372&z=8
The one at Millbrook was working yesterday. Similar to the one at Redbridge, the text is printed at a 90 degree angle.

MrColours

The one at Millbrook was working yesterday. Similar to the one at Redbridge, the text is printed at a 90 degree angle.
Looks like someone at SWR is fixing their PERTIS machines. Will have a look tomorrow.

Beaulieu Road's machine is now working too. Seems like SWR have gotten around to fixing all of their machines (so I assume Longcross and Holton Heath will be fixed), though all of the text printed onto the Permit To Travel is at 90 degrees. Better than the machines being broken I suppose.

Last edited:

Foxxle

Looks like someone at SWR is fixing their PERTIS machines. Will have a look tomorrow.
They probably saw your previous post :lol:

Thanks for creating it by the way, very useful information, it's a shame more machines weren't working for your visits!

MrColours

Holton Heath's machine now works, and unlike the other SWR machines, the ticket is printed correctly. Not at a 90 degree angle, so this is probably the best station for a Permit to Travel ticket (time is 30 minutes off though).

Longcross was still Out of Service when I went on Saturday.

Wolvercoter

Little Kimble Permit to Travel machine is working today, Fri 17th Nov 2023. Time is about 50 mins fast.

Attachments

• 20231117_143444.jpg
    20231117_143444.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 149

MrColours

Both Little Kimble and Lapworth's PERTIS machines working today, 18th November 2023. I assume the one at Hatton is still working. I have not been to Longcross in a while to check if that machine was ever fixed but all of the other SWR PERTIS machines work.

Therefore, it remains the best places to get a Permit to Travel are Chiltern or SWR operated stations.

flash21rg

Try and get your Permit To Travel Machine Tickets while you can as these Machines are at risk of being replaced with a standard Ticket Machine soon

Attachments

• 20231128_132207.jpg
    20231128_132207.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 154
  • 20231128_202534.jpg
    20231128_202534.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 154
  • 20231128_202545.jpg
    20231128_202545.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 152
Update Today
Hatton: Functioning and showing near enough correct time. Ticket obtained for 20p. It is even mentioned in the text on the Chiltern Station Facilities Poster there under 'purchasing a ticket'

Lapworth
Not now working again. Red Light on.

Hope this helps

gatters

The machines at Little Kimble and Denham Golf Club were taken out of service for good this week

warwickshire

On Moderation
So that leaves the remaining two seen working at Hatton 16 March and Lapworth 18 November 2023.
Hatton and Lapworth also finish today, witnessed first hand now out of action.
Lapworth this afternoon had a team in a van taking it out of action, informed Hatton to follow.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
So that leaves the remaining two seen working at Hatton 16 March and Lapworth 18 November 2023.
Both being decommissioned this week as well.

Card only TVMs to be installed at Denham Golf Club, Hatton, Lapworth, Little Kimble and Monks Risborough in due course.

stadler

Also the PERTIS at Faygate is currently working still. When i was there the week before last it was working and printing tickets. So this is in full working order. Plumpton and Salfords are technically working too but are always in "Pay At Ticket Office Mode" so you can not normally use them. Now that the Chiltern machines are removed i believe that Faygate may well be the last working original Almex AS88/AS89 machine. The five at SWR stations (at, Beaulieu Road, Holton Heath, Longcross, Millbrook, Redbridge, stations) are all the much newer Metric Aura type.

MrColours

Also the PERTIS at Faygate is currently working still. When i was there the week before last it was working and printing tickets. So this is in full working order. Plumpton and Salfords are technically working too but are always in "Pay At Ticket Office Mode" so you can not normally use them. Now that the Chiltern machines are removed i believe that Faygate may well be the last working original Almex AS88/AS89 machine. The five at SWR stations (at, Beaulieu Road, Holton Heath, Longcross, Millbrook, Redbridge, stations) are all the much newer Metric Aura type.
Did you get a Permit to Travel from the machine at Faygate? I tried it today and the Coins were just swallowed up, and no ticket was printed. No amount was actually displayed on the machine either (even though the time is displayed) which was the same as I saw it last year.

duffield

Established Member
The machines at Little Kimble and Denham Golf Club were taken out of service for good this week
Huh. I took a poor photo (from the train) of the machine at Little Kimble on 22nd March. It was displaying the time (still 50 minutes off before the clock change) so I guess it was working? I haven't been following their demise but when I saw it I thought "You don't see them very often anymore". Now I've seen this thread I know just how rare they've become.
Little_Kimble_PERTIS.jpg

MrColours

With the removal of Chiltern's PERTIS machines, we are down to 33 machines in the entire country, of which only five work, all on the SWR network, and of the newer Metric type. I have not checked if the other machines have been removed (apart from Faygate), but since none of them actually work, it is more checking if they have been removed or not. I have updated my map in accordance: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/v...6372&z=8&mid=12kaKMGJomMjbjOvzA0vd2iQoazs_hH4

stadler

Did you get a Permit to Travel from the machine at Faygate? I tried it today and the Coins were just swallowed up, and no ticket was printed. No amount was actually displayed on the machine either (even though the time is displayed) which was the same as I saw it last year.
It is a very dodgy machine but after eight tries i got it to print one ticket. It displayed £1.00 on my ticket even though i only entered one £0.20 coin each try. After that ticket i could not get any more to print. I was hoping to get four but only got one ticket after eight tries. It was just swallowing the money on all my other tries. So it does kind of work but it is very dodgy and takes multiple tries to print a ticket. I doubt they will bother to fix it.

With the removal of Chiltern's PERTIS machines, we are down to 33 machines in the entire country, of which only five work, all on the SWR network, and of the newer Metric type. I have not checked if the other machines have been removed (apart from Faygate), but since none of them actually work, it is more checking if they have been removed or not. I have updated my map in accordance: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?hl=en&ll=51.451115073341164,0.22724849165166372&z=8&mid=12kaKMGJomMjbjOvzA0vd2iQoazs_hH4
Just to point out Southease has two rather than just one as your map states. I was only there at Southease just over a week ago and both are still there. One on each platform. Although both are electrically dead.

Also are you sure Cheam is gone? It has been a while since i went there but it was still there last time. It is hidden down a footpath used as a side entrance that only really gets used late at night. So it is very easy to miss. I never noticed it for years. Or has it definitely been confirmed to be removed?

Salfords still works. A couple months ago i requested the ticket office to switch it on and they were able to. I successfully printed four tickets. But it is always in "pay at ticket office mode" so you have to ask the clerk and not all of them know how to switch it on. Only one regular seems to be able to.

Plumpton still works too but appears to be out of ticket stock. Last time i spoke to the ticket office they said they had no more of the ticket stock to fill it up. So it does technically work if someone finds more ticket stock. But that seems unlikely.

station_road

Here's a blast from the past - I picked up a book that I haven't read in ages to re-read and found this being used as a bookmark. It's in good condition despite being 27 years old!

(Image is of a permit to travel from Malden Manor dated August 1997)

Attachments

• PXL_20240408_174949250.jpg
    PXL_20240408_174949250.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 63

MrColours

It is a very dodgy machine but after eight tries i got it to print one ticket. It displayed £1.00 on my ticket even though i only entered one £0.20 coin each try. After that ticket i could not get any more to print. I was hoping to get four but only got one ticket after eight tries. It was just swallowing the money on all my other tries. So it does kind of work but it is very dodgy and takes multiple tries to print a ticket. I doubt they will bother to fix it.

Just to point out Southease has two rather than just one as your map states. I was only there at Southease just over a week ago and both are still there. One on each platform. Although both are electrically dead.

Also are you sure Cheam is gone? It has been a while since i went there but it was still there last time. It is hidden down a footpath used as a side entrance that only really gets used late at night. So it is very easy to miss. I never noticed it for years. Or has it definitely been confirmed to be removed?

Salfords still works. A couple months ago i requested the ticket office to switch it on and they were able to. I successfully printed four tickets. But it is always in "pay at ticket office mode" so you have to ask the clerk and not all of them know how to switch it on. Only one regular seems to be able to.

Plumpton still works too but appears to be out of ticket stock. Last time i spoke to the ticket office they said they had no more of the ticket stock to fill it up. So it does technically work if someone finds more ticket stock. But that seems unlikely.

I tried Faygate four times last week but it kept swallowing coins so I didn’t bother after that. It seems you got really lucky with it printing out one though!

Interesting story about Salfords, since I was thought it was unmanned but turns out it is manned in the morning peak. Again, seems really lucky that you managed to get PERTIS tickets from it! Did you have to go multiple times to get that staff member?

I should have said 33 stations with PERTIS machines, but 34 overall because Southease does have two (but both are electronically dead, as you stated).

As for Cheam, I visited last year and checked the footpath around the side of the station. It does appear to be missing since where it once stood is a new bit of concrete.

In general, all of the remaining Almex PERTIS machines are in a bad state, apart from Salfords.

Attachments

• IMG_8505.jpeg
    IMG_8505.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 42
Last edited: