• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lockdown Google Maps Interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am that bored.

Stuck at home for another 9 days with Covid, unable to leave the house, I've taken to having a good old look at Google Maps.

Thought I'd start a thread detailing things I find remotely interesting, or that others might not have seen, feel free to add to it! (for some reason I can't post in 'Games' section).

For example
On streetview you can see 60054 stabled at Thornaby
On Overhead view there seems to be a Flask train passing what used to be Saltley (pair of 68s) - The flask is numbered on top, '28' are they all?
On streetview 70015 smoking next to the fence at Midland Road
On streetview 43098 at St. Phillips Marsh
On streetview 56311 at Longport with 5606* something

The real trick will be stumbling across those on trains on the mainline at just the right time...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Found another couple...

On streetview 66145 at Warrington Arpley and I think 66101 in the yard
On streetview 142017 with 144011 in York Station
On streetview loads at Leicester including 50008 and 56301

Caledonian Sleeper at Fort William - https://goo.gl/maps/GHmN7xcKquH1PmiW8

Very minimal level crossing on Romney Marsh - https://goo.gl/maps/oauDwizojd8QzYXaA

EMU crossing the M25 near Brentwood - https://goo.gl/maps/aPANvu1u17f6ZJMT7
What's that ex Virgin liveried coach attached to the sleeper?!?!

route101

Established Member
How long does after the Google streetview car, the images get updated? Seen one of the cars in Glasgow last month. Wonder if its a full time job, im interested!

birchesgreen

Established Member
Can vary, i was behind one of the cars in the city centre a couple of years ago, it took a few months before it updated online and i could see myself (well my car anyway!)

birchesgreen

Established Member
Yes my Mum's house is probably about that date too, i live on an A-road so it seems to update at least once a year.

telstarbox

Established Member
I've found several places (especially in more rural areas) where there hasn't been an update since 2009. Possibly because not much has changed!

Logan Carroll

Love using the time travel feature to see how stations and trains have changed over the twelve year span that street view has documented.

I also find it strange that its been around so long that the people captured have begun to pass away ( the back of my late grandfathers head is immortalised in google’s servers)

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I've found several places (especially in more rural areas) where there hasn't been an update since 2009. Possibly because not much has changed!
Some while ago I was surprised to see a 'byway' in the Peak District included in Streetview. The 'journey' terminated abruptly when the camera was smashed off the roof by a low tree branch.

High Dyke

Established Member
Last updated map for my street was 2014. Prior to that it was July 2009. I must have been out both times; my car isn't parked.

ABB125

Established Member
Where I live is dated 2009 as well! A few things have changed on the road since then...
Over the previous lockdown I considered updating it myself (I believe anyone with a phone can do this), but never got around to it.

najaB

Veteran Member
Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
14(?) car 458 crossing Rusham AHB on the Waterloo-Reading line, thanks to the wonders of Google's satellite image stitching.

What's that ex Virgin liveried coach attached to the sleeper?!?!
For a while there was a Virgin liveried mk2 brake running round in place of the normal one, I can't remember exactly why but I'm sure someone will know.

Logan Carroll

14(?) car 458 crossing Rusham AHB on the Waterloo-Reading line, thanks to the wonders of Google's satellite image stitching.

For a while there was a Virgin liveried mk2 brake running round in place of the normal one, I can't remember exactly why but I'm sure someone will know.
Slightly off-topic but speaking of non-standard sleeper coaches

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can submit updates (e.g. business closed, hours changed) or upload photos/photospheres but not update Street View.
Rather annoyingly there are some errors that you don’t seem to be able to correct, particularly when it comes to Public transport, and with no way to contact Google some errors can persist for years.

RichT54

Rather annoyingly there are some errors that you don’t seem to be able to correct, particularly when it comes to Public transport, and with no way to contact Google some errors can persist for years.
Even when you do report an error, Google doesn't always fix it properly. I reported a problem with a footpath near Sandhurst station which Google maps shows incorrectly. They redrew it, but still showed it connected it to the ramp that leads to platform 2 whereas it actually connects to the road to the south. I reported the error again, but they ignored it.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Even when you do report an error, Google doesn't always fix it properly. I reported a problem with a footpath near Sandhurst station which Google maps shows incorrectly. They redrew it, but still showed it connected it to the ramp that leads to platform 2 whereas it actually connects to the road to the south. I reported the error again, but they ignored it.
Main problem near me is a LU station that is incorrectly marked as a “Train [sic] station.” This has been the case for several years looking at the reviews, I have filed suggestions for deletion as that seems to be the only thing I can do but it hasn’t been fixed.

This means that things like live departures aren’t available as they presumably are trying to grab them from the National Rail feed rather than the one provided by TfL.

najaB

Veteran Member

How come there are a few yards of double track railway in place here? It's around the site of Hellaby Goods Depot on the closed (around 1969 I think) Thurcroft to Braithwell Junction section of the Great Central, Hull & Barnsley and Midland Joint Railway, near Rotherham. Very strange.
Most likely answer is that there was something (e.g. a parked vehicle) in the way on the day they were recovering the track. Either that, or it was five to five on a Friday afternoon...

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Most likely answer is that there was something (e.g. a parked vehicle) in the way on the day they were recovering the track. Either that, or it was five to five on a Friday afternoon...
Interesting theory, but the track looks in fine fettle after 50+ years of disuse. Who has been doing the weeding?

DelW

Established Member
Interesting theory, but the track looks in fine fettle after 50+ years of disuse. Who has been doing the weeding?
Maybe a local company using it for some sort of training? There was a thread a few years ago about an isolated length of track complete with trackside equipment, miles from any extant or abandoned railway. It turned out to have been purpose built by a company providing training courses for railway staff.

In this case, shadows suggest there are three tall poles centrally in the six-foot, which might be significant. Overhead trolley wires?

PG

Established Member
Maybe a local company using it for some sort of training? There was a thread a few years ago about an isolated length of track complete with trackside equipment, miles from any extant or abandoned railway. It turned out to have been purpose built by a company providing training courses for railway staff.

In this case, shadows suggest there are three tall poles centrally in the six-foot, which might be significant. Overhead trolley wires?
Certmainly from looking at this aerial view I'd agree that it seems like the track has been deliberately laid there not left behind. Not sure of the date of the image but I'd guess at after 1987.
Bing maps aerial image.

Status
Not open for further replies.