• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locking Passengers In

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertclark125

Established Member
And on some trains, the Passcomm will not stop the train. On Glasgow Underground, due to the tight clearences, the passcomm sounds an alarm in the cab.

Nonetheless, this is a similar incident to that I described on New years eve. We don't know the full facts, so if anyone was on that train, post on here your version of events.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EMT Commuter

Today the 18:01 EMT service from Long Eaton to Sheffield closed its doors before all the passengers wanting to leave at Long Eaton had alighted. I watched about half a dozen people in one coach alone helplessly stay on the train till Derby. What's the procedure for meridian train doors are they timed or does somebody lock them? It seemed terribly unfair on the passengers that didn't get off in time!

I was on this train and alighted at Long Eaton without a problem. There may have been several factors in relation to people being over-carried:

Firstly the train was pretty full and therefore people were standing in the vestibules, this may have held people up getting to the doors.

Secondly the announcement for the station was quite late

Thirdly the train went straight into the station rather than waiting to get over Trent Junction, which is often the case.

Finally, the train was a few minutes late so I'm sure the traincrew were keen to get away.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Around here even if you push the bell the bus won't stop unless you are either stood next to the driver or making your way down the bus, which is good in my opinion, speeds up the services.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Around here even if you push the bell the bus won't stop unless you are either stood next to the driver or making your way down the bus, which is good in my opinion, speeds up the services.

That's only because you get the idiot kids who press the bell continuously just to impress their mates, the 11 route is particulary worse for this - I'm just glad I don't travel on the bus anymore :|

alan

just to be clear it passengers were still queueing and walking off it wasn't that they where still sitting down, I did suggest to somebody they found the train manager but she pointed out she had no idea where to find him (annoyingly tickets seem to be very rarely checked on this service when I'm travelling back to Sheffield most weeks but that's another story!)

Trog

Established Member
Sort of thing that happens every now and again.

At my local station a couple of years ago there was a last minute platform change, so people were still streaming off the footbridge as the train pulled in. After a minute or so the guard closed the doors through the people getting on, and the train pulled out leaving half the passengers still standing on the platform.

WillPS

Established Member
WYMetro print in timetables that when the bus is approaching you stop press the 'stop' button once and remain in your seat until the bus actually stops.
This is the official line with NCT/TrentBarton in Nottingham and also Travel South Yorkshire. In reality, it's polite to get ready to get off the bus just before your stop.

With trains and trams there is no such need, as the smooth motion means it's much safer to move about while in motion.

Vulcan

How does the driver know if you want that number bus, if you dont stick your hand out in good time then its tough catch the next one.

well a group of people stood by the edge of the kerb beside a bus stop sign, watching the bus approach expectantly ought to be enough of a clue for them. :roll:

Are you an ex- bus driver at all? It just makes me wonder because I remember you gave someone else a right slating for a toungue in cheek remark about the quality of first bus drivers, and now this.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Yeah 20 years and when i left some of my regular passengers gave me a box of chocolates.

If you cant be arsed to stick your hand out I cant be arsed to stop.

Your excuse of a group of people waiting at a bus stop doesn't give the driver much of a clue if there are multiple routes past that stop, how would you feel if you were waiting on your own for a number 12 bus and a number 11 came down the road and stopped so the number 12 behind him drove past, I take it the driver on the 11 would be at fault for stopping and the driver on the 12 at fault for not stopping. All you would have to do would be wave your arm from side to side signalling to the driver on the 11 you didn't want his bus and then stick your arm up so the driver on the 12 could see it, job done, of course that means people are responsible for their own actions and we cant have that can we :roll:. I mean its easier to blame some-one else than think for yourself isn't it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sort of thing that happens every now and again.

At my local station a couple of years ago there was a last minute platform change, so people were still streaming off the footbridge as the train pulled in. After a minute or so the guard closed the doors through the people getting on, and the train pulled out leaving half the passengers still standing on the platform.
That's dangerous. Doors should never be closed while passengers are boarding/alighting. I'd have held them.

Vulcan

You certainly have the right attitude for a bus driver ;)

I always step back from the stop and clearly indicate to the driver that I don't want his bus. If a bus doesn't look like he'd preparing to stop I will stick my hand out, but I always feel like a pillock when I do. I havn't had a bus sail past me yet, but I have seen it happen to plenty of others.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Yeah 20 years and when i left some of my regular passengers gave me a box of chocolates.

Your excuse of a group of people waiting at a bus stop doesn't give the driver much of a clue if there are multiple routes past that stop, how would you feel if you were waiting on your own for a number 12 bus and a number 11 came down the road and stopped so the number 12 behind him drove past, I take it the driver on the 11 would be at fault for stopping and the driver on the 12 at fault for not stopping. All you would have to do would be wave your arm from side to side signalling to the driver on the 11 you didn't want his bus and then stick your arm up so the driver on the 12 could see it, job done, of course that means people are responsible for their own actions and we cant have that can we :roll:. I mean its easier to blame some-one else than think for yourself isn't it.

Well, what happens in my area is that the first bus will stop and the second bus will pull up behind and wait to see if anyone wants that route. Just a bit of common sense really.

royaloak

Established Member
You certainly have the right attitude for a bus driver ;).

Try the job then you might have a clue what you are talking about!
Drivers dont have the time to tw*t about waiting to see if people want the bus, like old Chinese proverb say-
no sticky handy out no catchy bus.

As for attitude remark what job do you do?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, what happens in my area is that the first bus will stop and the second bus will pull up behind and wait to see if anyone wants that route. Just a bit of common sense really.

Take it nobody moans about buses being late then, or are the schedules so slack the buses wait time everywhere?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Drivers dont have the time to tw*t about waiting to see if people want the bus, like old Chinese proverb say-

As for attitude remark what job do you do?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Take it nobody moans about buses being late then, or are the schedules so slack the buses wait time everywhere?

The schedules have to have a bit of slack in them because of the traffic chaos in the city centre (a bit like recovery time for the trains!). We've probably got used to buses being late, notices on the timetables also say that buses can run a few minutes early!

In fairness, a lot of the routes in Swansea are very frequent, as a passenger you almost don't need a timetable! The only downside is that fares are ludicrously high and have just gone up again!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes it is dodgy to close doors on people near the doors. FCC did that on someone who got his coat/jacket caught up and was dragged along the platform and off the edge.

It must be potentially dangerous to close doors on people as they're boarding (or alighting) and a recipe for disaster - best avoided by waiting. If people are trying to board a completely full train, as against a lot of people simply trying to board an empty one, the driver should give some sort of announcement and tell people to stand clear. Not just close them with the hustle alarm that on some rolling stock starts only when the doors are already closing.

What's worse is how people react when something like this happens, by not pulling the alarm (on the 365s, few people would have probably found it before they added the new stickers). I think it was a member of staff that alerted the driver to stop, not a member of the public. As the trains are DOO this was incredibly lucky.

Vulcan

In the words of AdamP 'Chill your beans!'

I mean no offence to you or any other bus drivers at all, they just have a steriotypical image of being a bit grumpy. In fact I have several friends that are ex-bus drivers and an ex-Inspector which prove this to be a negative steriotype.
I have the uppermost respect, It is not an easy job, especially having to deal with idiot passengers, idiot other road users, having to navigate this huge vehicle around without hitting anything, and on top of that remembering your route, keeping time and taking fares. Extra respect also to the two bus drivers that got me to Uni in the heavy snow and icy roads on Monday.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What's worse is how people react when something like this happens, by not pulling the alarm (on the 365s, few people would have probably found it before they added the new stickers). I think it was a member of staff that alerted the driver to stop, not a member of the public. As the trains are DOO this was incredibly lucky.
We are constantly warned not to pull the alarm, so people are reluctant to do so, even if there is a real emergency. People are worried about the consequences. I know this is illogical but in a time of emergency some people don't think straight. It's easy to see after the event that the alarm should be pulled.

Here's a recent example:

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co...-incident/article-1655888-detail/article.html

"...Mr Gravells said a young passenger tried to get it closed again and was almost thrown from the train as it went through a tunnel...."

"...Mr Gravells said he believed the man in question, who had a lucky escape when he tried to close the door, was called Noel...."

royaloak

Established Member
If a bus doesn't look like he'd preparing to stop I will stick my hand out.
Do they not have signs saying "please signal clearly to the driver" on the bus stop or timetables?
How is standing like a statue at a bus stop "signalling".
I always step back from the stop and clearly indicate to the driver that I don't want his bus
And that is actually very helpful indeed :D , its just a pity you dont indicate when you DO want his bus, I mean surely if you can do one thing you can do the other!

Vulcan

I try to make eye contact with the driver as he pulls up, but if he's not looking i'll wave my arms about like a pillock.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I haven't travelled by bus in a few months now (fortunately), but it always annoys me when people don't stick their arm out or ring the bell. I once had to push past about three people (all of whom wanted the same bus as me) because the person at the front wasn't sticking their arm out.

A few years ago I was running along the street because I was in a hurry and the bus driver stopped at a stop and opened the doors for me. I had to say to him that I wasn't actually running for his bus, but running for something else!

cuccir

Established Member

You've got to allow for the elderly, though, and those with less mobility, who may be putting themselves at danger whilst trying to stand on a moving bus.

To move back on topic, it would seem pretty lacking in common sense to be closing doors onto a none-full train as queues of people are actively getting on...

Vulcan

A few years ago I was running along the street because I was in a hurry and the bus driver stopped at a stop and opened the doors for me. I had to say to him that I wasn't actually running for his bus, but running for something else!

One time last year that I missed the bus, and as it passed in front of me, the driver noticed me looking a bit disgruntled and stopped to let me on. I wasn't even on the right side of the road, and it wasn't one of the regular drivers that might have recognised me either. He wasn't even in a bad mood or the slightest bit bothered about me slightly delaying his service. That was a properly good bus driver, the way they should be.

In my opinion (before you start having a go at me RoyalOak) any bus drivers that hate passengers should really give it up. As an ex- bus driver they should be more then qualified to drive HGVs, so taking the HGV license should be a breeze. (assuming they were any good at driving a bus in the first place.) And then they can use their driving skills to make money, they don't have to put up with passengers, and us passengers don't have to put up with them. [/OPINION]

royaloak

Established Member
Ex bus driver, 20 years, 13 years safe driving awards (changed firms twice, didn't get SDA if no full year completed) so effectively 17 clear out of 20 years clear (2 of the accidents were in snow/ice, the other was after a brake fault).
IAM commercial test passed, all driving tests passed first time (4 of them).
NVQ level 2 in customer service, highly respected by my managers, workmates AND regular passengers.
Got a job as a guard and NEVER had a bad report put in about me but did get 2 commendations after people had written in complimenting me.
Now drive trains for a living.
When you know how the real world works you can pass judgement until then stick to your pretend world.
Oh (and this is NOT aimed at you in particular its just the way I am) I dont tolerate idiots either at work or socially.
And your resume for comparison?

ukrob

Established Member
I assume the persona you have decided to adopt on this site is totally different to you in reality then, as you are coming across very badly with limited customer service skills indeed.

royaloak

Established Member
I assume the persona you have decided to adopt on this site is totally different to you in reality then, as you are coming across very badly with limited customer service skills indeed.

its just all the "I missed the train and its somebody else's fault" that get my back up, its quite easy to get through life with a bit of thought and care, sometimes things go wrong and when its my fault, I accept it and don't blame anyone else.
In a post above somebody said he doesn't stick his hand out when he wants the bus, but does indicate to the driver when he doesn't. I asked why it was such an issue to stick his hand out and got no reply, I asked if it had a "please indicate to the driver" sign on the bus shelter but again got no reply.

i am not anti customer but I am anti idiot, somebody who doesn't know where they are going and asks a question will get a helpful response if I can and if not I will point them in the direction of some-one who can help them. Somebody that comes up to me with an attitude ranting and raving will get the cab window slammed shut on them or I will ignore them and walk away, I am there to drive NOT take abuse and if they like it tough, how would they like it if I went into their work and started having a go at them. I am quite placid normally but when people who have never done the/ a job start moaning about everything I like to put the other side across.

Vulcan

I asked if it had a "please indicate to the driver" sign on the bus shelter but again got no reply
Not that i've ever noticed. Theres not usually a problem about it, but as i have said before, I have been on buses that have completely missed passengers. I've even been on buses that have missed huge chunks out from their route, and its that 'screw the passengers' attutude that some bus drivers (and some railway staff) have that annoys me.

btw Royaloak, my opinion rant in my previous post was not in any way aimed at you, its just what I think those grumpy bus drivers with the 'screw the passengers' approach should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.