• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco hauled around Havant

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
This post's theme could be: Faces only a mother could love

Saturday saw Colas-powered traffic; here is the Eastleigh to Earlswood service.

Portsmouth Direct Line had a possession in place. Sunday, the self-propelled Rail Head Treatment Train reverses at Petersfield, the crew swapping ends and then crossing just north of the station, for a return southward.
Later that day, a Petersfield-bound tamper from Eastleigh.

Attachments

• 70802_Bedhampton.JPG
    70802_Bedhampton.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • RHTT_Petersfield_1.JPG
    RHTT_Petersfield_1.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 49
  • RHTT_Petersfield_2a.JPG
    RHTT_Petersfield_2a.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 45
  • RHTT_Petersfield_3a.jpg
    RHTT_Petersfield_3a.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 34
  • Tamper_Bedhampton.JPG
    Tamper_Bedhampton.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
In what may be the last decent light of this autumn, Network Rail's ex-Hastings DEMU inspection saloon, propelled by one of LORAM 37 fleet, creates a scene reminiscent of the 1980s.

(January 2024) The loco is now wearing LORAM red / white / charcoal livery. Eeek!

Attachments

• 37418_Bedhampton_.JPG
    37418_Bedhampton_.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:

75A

Established Member
If it was route-learning today, then there is a sense of irony: it was booked to reverse at Havant and then use the eastern chord (Farlington Junction) into Portsmouth; but it missed that - and instead routed down the western chord (Cosham Junction).
Sounds about right, I went on it from Clapham Jcn to Kensington Olympia & back a couple of times

Sun Chariot

Established Member
In between south coast rain showers, "City Of Truro" starts its trek from Marchwood to Leicester, having arrived less than an hour earlier with yet another SWR class 701 (set 057) for temporary storage at the MoD site.

Semaphores and a blue Duff - memories from my childhood!

Attachments

• 47749_Marchwood_1_.jpg
    47749_Marchwood_1_.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 47749_Marchwood_2_.jpg
    47749_Marchwood_2_.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 47749_Marchwood_3_.JPG
    47749_Marchwood_3_.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Network Rail's track inspection train took a rather circuitous route round Hampshire and the West Sussex coast.
Although today's photos were taken less than an hour apart, the local weather conditions were changing as quickly as a politician's promises...
The stock differs to that captured end-August, on post #18.

Attachments

• 73965_73964_Bedhampton_1_.jpg
    73965_73964_Bedhampton_1_.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 44
  • 73965_73964_Bedhampton_2_.jpg
    73965_73964_Bedhampton_2_.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
No loco hauled today; but...

Local areas, alhough affected by the recent deluges, are less flooded than Isle of Wight, Hayling Island and West Sussex.
On this lane near home, several cars turned back and sought alternative routes. The van driver went for it!

Attachments

• Bedhampton_Stockheath_flood.jpg
    Bedhampton_Stockheath_flood.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
What a difference 20 minutes makes:

The sun has yet to break through cloud cover, as the light engine movement (with one FL crew member sitting cross-legged on the desk!) from Southampton Maritime Container Terminal coasts by en route to Crawley; closely followed by...

The already-late-running Merehead stone for Chichester is bathed in autumnal colours, as it restarts from Nutbourne Station, where it was held due to the level crossing (in the background).

Attachments

• 66501_Chidham_.jpg
    66501_Chidham_.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 32
  • 59202_Chidham_.jpg
    59202_Chidham_.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:

75A

Established Member
What a difference 20 minutes makes:

The sun has yet to break through cloud cover, as the light engine movement (with one FL crew member sitting cross-legged on the desk!) from Southampton Maritime Container Terminal coasts by en route to Crawley; closely followed by...

The already-late-runnimg Merehead stone for Chichester is bathed in autumnal colours, as it restarts from Nutbourne Station, where it was held due to the level crossing (in the background).
Re the light engine move, I guess as it's a FL loco it's going to Crawley New Yard on the Brighton main probably via Hove, rather than Crawley itself which is on the Mid Sussex between Horsham & Three Bridges.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Re the light engine move, I guess as it's a FL loco it's going to Crawley New Yard on the Brighton main probably via Hove, rather than Crawley itself which is on the Mid Sussex between Horsham & Three Bridges.
RTT's path shows its destination as Crawley F.Y. (I presume the FL yard); and, yes, it ran via Hove.
The afternoon's return path also runs light engine (the same loco used in the past two days); and, as there were several in the cab both days, I wonder if these out and back runs are for route knowledge reasons?

Last edited:

1Q18

Network Rail's track inspection train took a rather circuitous route round Hampshire and the West Sussex coast.
Although today's photos were taken less than an hour apart, the local weather conditions were changing as quickly as a politician's promises...
The stock differs to that captured end-August, on post #18.
Post #18 shows the PLPR3 set which is generally the dedicated Southern Region PLPR set. Last week the PLPR4 set was used because the recording vehicles from PLPR3 are undergoing maintenance. Nice photos!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Storm Ciaran hasn't stopped the workers. Welded rail from Clapham (Voltaire Jcn) bound for Eastleigh, powers through the murkiness, crossing the West Coastway junction with the Portsmouth Direct Line.

Attachments

• 70802_Havant.jpg
    70802_Havant.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Local floods (week 2!)

Hayling Island took a bit of battering last night, although less flooded than expected. Here's the coastal road at Northney; and a roundabout more inland.

Attachments

• Floods_Northney_1.JPG
    Floods_Northney_1.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 15
  • Floods_Hayling_3.JPG
    Floods_Hayling_3.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 17

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Some great photos @Sun Chariot. I think my favourite is the one of Broadlands in banger blue. :)

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Some great photos @Sun Chariot. I think my favourite is the one of Broadlands in banger blue. :)
Many thanks, Cowley. I'd put my SLR camera down when privatisation happened; and my interest only rekindled this spring, with the demise of the 313s. This started out as a mini-challlenge to "photograph within one mile of my home" this summer; but I've expanded my scope a few miles.

I now feel compelled to set a new challenge for myself: the human factors of the railways!

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Storm Ciaran hasn't stopped the workers. Welded rail from Clapham (Voltaire Jcn) bound for Eastleigh, powers through the murkiness, crossing the West Coastway junction with the Portsmouth Direct Line.
Cripes, I am all for function over form at times, but those class 70's take it to almost perverted levels. They look like they were designed with left over Lego blocks.

It isn't tempting me to get my camera out again yet, but thanks for posting on the contemporary scene. I do like the idea of setting a photographic challenge and the people side of the railways is a great subject. Look forward to seeing the results.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
It isn't tempting me to get my camera out again yet, but thanks for posting on the contemporary scene.
I do like the idea of setting a photographic challenge and the people side of the railways is a great subject. Look forward to seeing the results.
Thanks and I agree "we had it so good" in the 1980s! The loss of rich diversity in the routes, traffic and infrastructure, influenced my decision to "down tools" in the mid-90s.

Ironically, my photography moved toward "reportage" and so I'm relishing a project with a "person-centric" perspective. Here's to my winter-to-spring challenge!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I know it’s a bit wrong but there’s just something about the class 70s that really does it for me. They remind me of the Vogon Constructor Fleet for some reason…

To quote from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.”

Sun Chariot

Established Member
I know it’s a bit wrong but there’s just something about the class 70s that really does it for me. They remind me of the Vogon Constructor Fleet for some reason…

To quote from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy:

“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.”
:D Now we're showing our age!

The other day, my 21 year old told me about "...these great new books called Fighting Fantasy, by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston".
He was dumbfounded when I explained I'd enjoyed those when they first came out.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
This autumn's Railhead Treatment Train service has predominantly been the self-propelled set seen in post #32. A refreshing change for today's circuit, both noisier and filthier!

Attachments

• 73212_73213_Havant_.jpg
    73212_73213_Havant_.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 73213_73212_Havant_.jpg
    73213_73212_Havant_.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 22

75A

Established Member
This autumn's Railhead Treatment Train service has predominantly been the self-propelled set seen in post #32. A refreshing change for today's circuit, both noisier and filthier!
More memories, did several turns to & from Chipmans depot in Horsham in the early 80's, seem to remember there was a controversy about it & Margaret Thatcher's husband Dennis was something to do with it