• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco hauled around Havant

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Taking inspiration from railway magazines of the mid-1980s, plus this excellent thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/lostwin-br-in-the-mid-80s.255736/
My next challenge (to myself), is to capture a human angle on the railways in my locality - the employees, passengers, enthusiasts - whatever I notice during these months of little sunlight and much rain.

Today's captured during (yet another) south coast monsoon. The 158 shot, I've made "contrasty", to bring out the earnest face of the driver.

Attachments

• Cosham_377_mono.JPG
    Cosham_377_mono.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 53
  • Cosham_166_mono_.jpg
    Cosham_166_mono_.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 50
  • Cosham_158_mono.JPG
    Cosham_158_mono.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 48
  • Chichester_mono.JPG
    Chichester_mono.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lostwin(m)

Taking inspiration from railway magazines of the mid-1980s, plus this excellent thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/lostwin-br-in-the-mid-80s.255736/
My next challenge (to myself), is to capture a human angle on the railways in my locality - the employees, passengers, enthusiasts - whatever I notice during these months of little sunlight and much rain.

Today's captured during (yet another) south coast monsoon. The 158 shot, I've made "contrasty", to bring out the earnest face of the driver.
These look a promising start. If you will allow me to provide a little critique - I particularly like the composition on the first picture and the differential focusing that helps emphasise the importance of the people in the image. The level crossing shot is also good, there is a very clear cause and effect between the people and the train. Perhaps this is also why the middle two images are a little less strong for me, as it's harder to correlate what the people are doing with the action of the train. For instance, the 3rd picture has the passengers filing to the exit, perhaps if you had the train disappearing further in the distance this would create a slightly clearer narrative.

Apologies for going all David Bailey on you there - feel free to reciprocate on my thread!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
These look a promising start. If you will allow me to provide a little critique - I particularly like the composition on the first picture and the differential focusing that helps emphasise the importance of the people in the image. The level crossing shot is also good, there is a very clear cause and effect between the people and the train. Perhaps this is also why the middle two images are a little less strong for me, as it's harder to correlate what the people are doing with the action of the train. For instance, the 3rd picture has the passengers filing to the exit, perhaps if you had the train disappearing further in the distance this would create a slightly clearer narrative.

Apologies for going all David Bailey on you there - feel free to reciprocate on my thread!
Many thanks for those tips. The shot that I am happy with is, coincidently, the one you first mention - the gents, the curve of the pillars and the train beyond depth of field. I've had that composition in mind awhile.

The others here were very much "see what it comes out like".
- The shot with a lady making eye contact: I like it but it's a bit "busy" - lacks an obvious reference point for the image.
- The cl.158 shot, those people are hurrying through a heavy deluge, to board the train - and I was trying to not get utterly soaked! I had a composition in my mind, where the only face forward is the driver's. I'll try alternative compositons for that - such as taking it on the same platform so that it's clear to see people boarding.

That's the joy of this forum - ideas shared, tips offered, hobby improved and enjoyed!

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Many thanks for those tips. The shot that I am happy with is, coincidently, the one you first mention - the gents, the curve of the pillars and the train beyond depth of field. I've had that composition in mind awhile.

The other three examples were very much a "see what it comes out like". The shot with the lady making eye contact - I like but it is a bit "busy".

That's the joy of this forum - ideas shared, tips offered, hobby improved and enjoyed!
Thanks for taking in the spirit intended. I look forward to seeing more, cripes i'm even thinking of getting my own camera out of retirement...

Sun Chariot

Established Member
cripes i'm even thinking of getting my own camera out of retirement...
:D My trusty old Canon EOS 1v film camera still rests in the loft. Shame on me because those lenses aren't getting used either.
All this thread's photos taken with a little digital compact - I find it less unwieldy (and far less intrusive) than my old kit.

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
On Chichester platform, an orderly queue awaits a London-bound arrival.
And at Cosham high street, a slightly less orderly queue awaits the crossing gates.

Can you spot Chichester's signalman, on his phone, on the signalbox's verandah? He's just above the arriving train. A signalman who can't get a signal? :)

Attachments

• Chichester_mono_.JPG
    Chichester_mono_.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 39
  • Cosham_crossing_mono.JPG
    Cosham_crossing_mono.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:

lostwin(m)

On Chichester platform, an orderly queue awaits a London-bound arrival.
And at Cosham high street, a slightly less orderly queue awaits the crossing gates.
Really nice November light on these. Maybe a slower shutter speed at the level crossing to blur the train a little? There is definitely promise at that location.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Maybe a slower shutter speed at the level crossing to blur the train a little? There is definitely promise at that location
If I can find a way to slow the darn shutter, on this too-clever digi compact :D There's an aperture-priority mode, so I'll try it next time I'm at that location.
Cosham high street crossing is a regular snarl-up so, if I get some morning sunlight, I'll try the shot again.

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
My current photo "challenge", to capture the human factors of the railway, is a great way to look differently at the scene. This trio:

"Observation": rear coach travellers are captured watching me, watching them.

"The photographer": freezing fog does not deter this hardy soul, momentarily frozen by the smokebox of the speeding Black Five.

"The last passenger": this gent looks a little impatient and I hope he's not been waiting since Nationalisation...

Attachments

• Observation_mono.JPG
    Observation_mono.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 66
  • Steam_Photographer_mono.JPG
    Steam_Photographer_mono.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 56
  • Beechings_last_passenger_mono.JPG
    Beechings_last_passenger_mono.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
(A brief return to my "loco hauled" scope) Winter Solstice less than 2 weeks away:

A Network Rail inspection 153 unit covers local routes. Unlike June's visitor (post #4), this still bears East Midlands livery.

10 minutes later, an unusual service down Portsmouth Direct Line: a Freightliner 59/2 hauled stone working, returning from Woking to Merehead (the service was curtailed at Westbury).

Attachments

• 59205_Havant_.jpg
    59205_Havant_.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 43
  • 153385_Havant_.jpg
    153385_Havant_.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
This week saw a new freight path along the West Coastway: a weekdays (but as required) stone working, from Westbury (Tarmac) to Crawley (Yeoman). The trip back to Merehead quarry, is under the cover of darkness.

The initial week's workings produced examples from 59/0, 59/1 and 59/2.

Attachments

• 59102_Bedhampton_.jpg
    59102_Bedhampton_.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 47
  • 59206_Chichester_.jpg
    59206_Chichester_.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 38
  • 59001_Chichester.JPG
    59001_Chichester.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 21
  • 59005_Bosham.jpg
    59005_Bosham.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

75A

Established Member
I wonder if that's Crawley itself - between Horsham & Three Bridges, or Crawley New Yard which is on the Brighton main line near Salfords? the latter I'm guessing as that's had a long history of aggregates, we used to take a train their from Newhaven in the 80's.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
I wonder if that's Crawley itself - between Horsham & Three Bridges, or Crawley New Yard which is on the Brighton main line near Salfords? the latter I'm guessing as that's had a long history of aggregates, we used to take a train their from Newhaven in the 80's.
The service is pathed via Hove and the Crawley (Yeoman) destination is close to Three Bridges. RTT info attached.

Last Friday's Woking to Westbury stone, via Portsmouth's Direct Line, still intrigues me. No booked path this Friday. I guess last Friday's was a one-off; but I've not unearthed its rationale.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231213_174347_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231213_174347_Chrome.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

75A

Established Member
The service is pathed via Hove and the Crawley (Yeoman) destination is close to Three Bridges. RTT info attached.

Last Friday's Woking to Westbury stone, via Portsmouth's Direct Line, still intrigues me. No booked path this Friday. I guess last Friday's was a one-off; but I've not unearthed its rationale.
Thanks

Sun Chariot

Established Member
The sunshine belies near-zero conditions, for the third and fourth workings of 2024 on the Westbury to Crawley stone.

The 59s have held near-monopoly on this working, since mid-December's commencement of the service. It is a refreshing change, from "Sheds with everything"!

Attachments

• 59201_FarlingtonJcn_.jpg
    59201_FarlingtonJcn_.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 40
  • 59203_Bosham_.jpg
    59203_Bosham_.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Murky winter weather returns for today's Class 3 (third rail de-icer, up and down Portsmouth Direct Line) and Class 6 (Eastleigh to Hounslow) workings.

Attachments

• 66764_66772_Havant_.jpg
    66764_66772_Havant_.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 36
  • 66772_66764_Havant_.jpg
    66772_66764_Havant_.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 66848_Bedhampton_.jpg
    66848_Bedhampton_.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
(With apologies to Dickens) A tale of two Mereheads

West Coastway's two aggregates workings from Merehead. This is the first occasion of both running on the same day.

The 59-hauled service for Crawley stone terminal accelerates east.
The service for Chichester stone siding is readying the return empties to Merehead. The 66 runs round, along the erstwhile LBSCR route to Lavant, shortly before departing westward.

Attachments

• 59206_Bedhampton_.JPG
    59206_Bedhampton_.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 66502_Chichester_1.jpg
    66502_Chichester_1.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
(A flit back to my "human factors" scope)

A motorist's patience is tested by a lenghty wait, before the passage of a pair of NR multi-unit rail grinding sets, en route from Cardiff to Paddock Wood.

As with post #69's Black Five, motion blur  is intentional! :)

Attachments

• NetworkRail_Bedhampton_mono.jpg
    NetworkRail_Bedhampton_mono.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
A brace of 59s in West Sussex.

The two Merehead aggregates workings, pathed along the West Coastway, are today both in the care of 59s.

The Crawley-bound working passes the already-unloading Chichester service.
"GM" 201 still has its US-style bell - and it seems someone forgot to finish applying the cabside's white cantrail stripe!

Attachments

• 59201_Chichester_.jpg
    59201_Chichester_.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 53
  • 59103_59201_Chichester_ (1).jpg
    59103_59201_Chichester_ (1).jpg
    5 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
A brace of 59s in West Sussex.
Excellent photos, as always! I realise that there are far fewer freight/ballast/test train workings....but do you ever go photographing up the Portsmouth Direct (Rowlands Castle/Petersfield/Liss/Liphook/Haslemere areas? There are some very scenic locations up there.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Excellent photos, as always! I realise that there are far fewer freight/ballast/test train workings....but do you ever go photographing up the Portsmouth Direct (Rowlands Castle/Petersfield/Liss/Liphook/Haslemere areas? There are some very scenic locations up there.
Many thanks. Remote/hybrid working has its advantages! It does however limit how far I can "abscond" on weekdays :)

Thread's post #72 is my only capture of a revenue freight on the Portsmouth Direct Line, albeit at the bottom of that route.

I've used the Rowlands Castle - Emsworth road's overbridge, when the blackthorn was at its best; albeit only to catch the last few SWT liveried Desiros last year.

I have a few locations to try, once weather conditions and my time permit - such as near Buriton, on the northern climb; and by Liss Forest level crossing. There's a fabulous, very narrow, brick arch bridge near there, which begs to be photographed.

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
A shout-out for a local photographer. Here's his photostream:

We sometimes pick the same location. Compare his shots, linked here, with mine on posts #1 and #18 :)

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
The last member of the original ARC 59 fleet,.leads today's Merehead-Crawley turn.

With 59 101 now adorning Heidelberg Materials garish green, I wonder how long its classmates' Hanson livery will last. Similarly, what time remains for the Mendip Rail branding on the wagons.

Attachments

• 59104_Cosham_.jpg
    59104_Cosham_.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Yet more heavy rain all of this week - let's get flood photos!

This time, near Liss. The first time I've seen a flooded level crossing - it caught several drivers unawares, too.
Those reflections begged for a "motion blurred" train shot.

Attachments

• Floods_Liss_.jpg
    Floods_Liss_.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31
  • mono_Liss_flood_.jpg
    mono_Liss_flood_.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 31
  • mono_Liss_flood_2.jpg
    mono_Liss_flood_2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
This week, Network Rail is updating the track infrastructure at Portsmouth Harbour - replacing the old jointed rails, fixing base plates to track and installing new sleepers.

(Day 1)
Having deposited its trainload of material, the locomotive - a commendably clean (from its naming ceremony, four weeks ago) former European example, taken into GBRf fleet - starts a circuitous route returning to Eastleigh: running north on the Portsmouth Direct Line and then via Woking and Winchester.

(Day 3)
A murkier day and with a grubbier locomotive - coincidently, another former European example - brings more material via the same route but the opposite direction.

Attachments

• 66307_FarlingtonJcn_.jpg
    66307_FarlingtonJcn_.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 45
  • 66797_Bedhampton_.jpg
    66797_Bedhampton_.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited: