• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco hauled around Havant

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
My current photo "challenge", to capture the human factors of the railway:

A follow-on to post #90; Portsmouth Harbour's track renewal work progresses this week, through rain and shine (literally!).
Drier conditions for today's activity. Spot the WD-40 cans, in photo 3 - well, it's one way to reduce flange-squeal. :)

Attachments

• NRworkers_2.JPG
    NRworkers_2.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 43
  • NRworkers_3.JPG
    NRworkers_3.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 40
  • NRworkers_4a.jpg
    NRworkers_4a.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 37
  • NRworkers_5.jpg
    NRworkers_5.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 39
  • NRworkers_1a.jpg
    NRworkers_1a.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
As we approach the 4th anniversary of UK's initial lock-down, here's my reflection of those strange times:

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Intentions of capturing the 6 civil engineer workings over the Portsmouth Direct Line, the weekend just past, were foiled by two filthy days of near-constant downpour.

Partly compensated today, with cloudy sky easing just as the Chichester to Merehead empties reverses out onto the West Coastway main, then makes a smokey departure westwards.
The loco is booked into Eastleigh Arlington on 5th March, for a repaint.
(11th April) The travelworn Hanson livery has been replaced with Freightliner's house colours (orange, black, white).

Posts #79, #83 and #87 show the other various manoeuvres - shunting and runround - needed at this aggregates terminal.

Attachments

• 59102_Chichester_1_.jpg
    59102_Chichester_1_.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 32
  • 59102_Chichester_2_.jpg
    59102_Chichester_2_.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Network Rail's infrastructure inspection units make regular appearances on circuits around this area. Today's working, however, is headed for Manningtree in Essex.

Liss Forest - on the Portsmouth Direct Line - offers several vantage points if full sunshine graces us. Today isn't one of those days...

Attachments

• 153385_Liss_Forest.jpg
    153385_Liss_Forest.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Spring colours (ScotRail, InterCity, chocolate/cream, GBRf...):

The Snow & Ice Treatment Train - led by a distinctive former European example - returns from its Portsmouth Direct Line duties and approaches the junction with the West Coastway.

Shortly after, Statesman Rail's excursion to Portsmouth (via Winchester and Fareham) nears its junction for Portsea Isle.
A follow-up trip, 28th March, will use Portsmouth Direct Line.

(28th March) Photos thwarted. 1) Biblical rain & wind across the South Coast, until early afternoon; 2) Infrastructure fault at Portsmouth Harbour, resulting in all services truncated at Portsmouth & Southsea - and consequential hour's delayed departure of the return Statesman.

Attachments

• 66750_66764_Havant (1).jpg
    66750_66764_Havant (1).jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 47828_47712_Cosham_.jpg
    47828_47712_Cosham_.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 39
  • 47712_47828_Cosham_.jpg
    47712_47828_Cosham_.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240328_170502_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240328_170502_Chrome.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20240328_170633_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240328_170633_Chrome~2.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240328_170342_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240328_170342_Chrome.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
The debacle of Bedhampton Station bridge:

Preparatory work started early September 2023.. Trackside paint removal was undertaken at the start of October.
The notices advertised a completion date of 5th January.

4th January, the notices were hastily taken down - and the replacement notices quoted completion on 29th February. The sides of the bridge were primed and partially painted.
Work stopped again in mid-January - and still not resumed.

The lack of bridge's access, creates a bit of a scrum at West Street crossing, daily.
Now NR notifies that the work is suspended, due to "...severe structural damage".
(despite half the bridge already painted in green top-coat - and one obvious area of corrosion, has been like that for 2 years...)

Attachments

• Bedhampton_waiting.jpg
    Bedhampton_waiting.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 40
  • Bedhampton_Station_Bridge_01Oct2023.jpg
    Bedhampton_Station_Bridge_01Oct2023.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 20240307_113120.jpg
    20240307_113120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Shades of green (the sequel...)

26th January's intended shot of Freightliner's green variants, was thwarted by the Westbury to Crawley service running 80 minutes behind booked path.

So, here's what I'd intended:
Today's Westbury-Crawley with the Heidelberg Materials 59;
26th January's Westbury-Chichester, here reversing into the stone terminal, with a "banger green" 66 in charge.

Attachments

• 59101_Bosham.JPG
    59101_Bosham.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 66506_Chichester_.jpg
    66506_Chichester_.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
March(wood) winds and April showers.

Having dropped off empty spine-wagons from MoD Kineton (post #20 has photos of that service), the regally-resplendent loco takes loaded containers from MoD Marchwood, bound for London Gateway (Tilbury / Thames Haven Port).

Attachments

• 66734_Marchwood_1_.JPG
    66734_Marchwood_1_.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 66734_Marchwood_2_.jpg
    66734_Marchwood_2_.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 24
  • 66734_Marchwood_3_.jpg
    66734_Marchwood_3_.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member

Marchwood branch's pilot - who accompanies the driver to Totton - and Marchwood's crossing controller, both ensure the safe passage of the train shown on post #100

Attachments

• Marchwood_1_crop.jpg
    Marchwood_1_crop.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • Marchwood_2_.jpg
    Marchwood_2_.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 30
  • Marchwood_3_.jpg
    Marchwood_3_.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Marchwood branch's pilot - who accompanies the driver to Totton - and Marchwood's crossing controller, both ensure the safe passage of the train shown on post #100
Excellent, I love the image with the guy closing the crossing gate. With the train in the background, there is an obvious cause/effect that creates the story.

Amazing to see semaphore signals still in situ outside of a preserved line. I’m a bit out of touch with the modern scene (apart from my daily commute), are these signals still operational?

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Many thanks @lostwin(m) - and yes, from examples in this thread, I have a bit of a "thing" for photos of people at level crossings. :D

These shots are on the old Fawley refinery branch, down the coast from Southampton. It's the only location I know of with manual crossing gates and semaphores, down these parts. Train services are sporadic and often don’t travel the branch on their pathed times..

Totton-Marchwood operates as "one train in section" and the signals are not used. That being said, my shots for post #20, the peg was briefly set "clear" for the MoD spur; how I wish I caught that shot. :)

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Monday evening's storm surge, combined with a spring high tide, resulted in numerous floods along Hampshire's coast.
Nine hours afterwards, Hayling Island's east side still showed floods at Northney and over the beachfront tourist railway.

This moped rider discovered - too late - that driving into flood water does not bode well for an internal combustion engine...
This photo also appears on BBC's news website, with a slightly more diplomatic caption. ;)

Attachments

• Floods_HaylingNortheast_1_.jpg
    Floods_HaylingNortheast_1_.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 21
  • Floods_HaylingSoutheast_1_.jpg
    Floods_HaylingSoutheast_1_.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 23
  • Floods_HaylingSoutheast_2_.jpg
    Floods_HaylingSoutheast_2_.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Smoking in public.

Diffused springtime sun blesses today's Merehead-Crawley aggregates working - seemingly with dragging brake toward the rear of the train (its slow progress and screeching from a smoking wagon, points to the culprit).
The near cabside's still missing its white cantrail stripe (see post #83 back on 24th January).

The previous day's working was in the hands of numerically-similar 59102, freshly repainted from its Hanson livery (post #93) into Freightliner's current scheme.

Attachments

• 59201_Bedhampton_.JPG
    59201_Bedhampton_.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
This weekend's track infrastructure work around Haslemere, has seen material flows down the Portsmouth Direct Line, to Eastleigh.
Network Rail's more usual motive power providers (Colas, DB & GBRf) are, this morning, complemented with a hire-in from Freightliner.

Attachments

• 66561_Bedhampton.JPG
    66561_Bedhampton.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Smoking in public:

Diffused springtime sun blesses today's Merehead-Crawley aggregates working - seemingly with dragging brake toward the rear of the train (its slow progress and screeching from a smoking wagon, points to the culprit).
The near cabside's still missing its white cantrail stripe (see post #83 back on 24th January).

The previous day's working was in the hands of numerically-similar 59102; freshly repainted from its Hanson livery, into Freightliner's current scheme.
Lovely soft light and colours on this one. The loco has a brass bell hanging on the front, is that used as a warning whilst at the quarry?

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Lovely soft light and colours on this one. The loco has a brass bell hanging on the front, is that used as a warning whilst at the quarry?
Many thanks - any sun is a bit of a bonus, on the un-sunny south coast. :)

The bell is ceremonial. General Motors (EMD) fitted them to just two of the class: this - 59201 - on delivery to its original owner, National Power; and 59001 when delivered to Foster Yeoman.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Bring me sunshine.

This morning's first two hours of clear sky was great for the early dog walk; but, by the time today's Merehead-Chichester aggregates working passed, it had mostly disappeared under a large encroaching bank of clouds.
Typically, five minutes later saw a further hour's sun. Such is the way of the railway photographer...

Attachments

• 59204_Bedhampton_.jpg
    59204_Bedhampton_.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 11

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Many thanks. I'll try that location once I can get better quality of light.
My fellow local photographer (see post #86) also intended a shot ar this spot; but he abandoned it due to the cloud-cover. So my only companion was a nearby lusty pheasant, calling raucously...

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
An inspector calls.

Network Rail's track inspection unit makes a rare trip down the former Fawley branch; pausing briefly at Marchwood's old station before retracing its steps. A fresh coat of yellow since its appearance on post #4 of this thread.
Difficult backlighting here; and I wish that the sun had  not been shining.

The personnel on board must have carried influence, as the signal is set to "clear" for the unit's departure.
The line operates as "one train in section" and, invariably, the signals remain set at "danger" when a train passes them.

Attachments

• 153376_Marchwood_.jpg
    153376_Marchwood_.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Fantastic, perseverance paid off at this location to capture the signal in action. Presumably there is no signal box any more, would the signal be activated by a lever at the base?

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Just shows how much the greenery has been left to grow....

Not my pic... unsure of date, but maybe 1970s?

m-DN-ltTcYFI4akYbc9blSmytmZHLtp2-K0SrhnuuNXB4DFyijqcCMq5p_Z4EatcqRfcsghlYqjuyP6rN1OSPq4WQ4T7e1Wapt4qegGqRwYypDp7SQlo-oiPQzuonzYkQlWrYK7dfoRFMQ

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Fantastic, perseverance paid off at this location to capture the signal in action. Presumably there is no signal box any more, would the signal be activated by a lever at the base?
Thanks and it proves the mechanisms are still in working order :) The signal frame is housed within a small brick cabin added onto the former station, facing the platform.
You can see it pictured in posts #39 and #101.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Just shows how much the greenery has been left to grow....

Not my pic... unsure of date, but maybe 1970s?

m-DN-ltTcYFI4akYbc9blSmytmZHLtp2-K0SrhnuuNXB4DFyijqcCMq5p_Z4EatcqRfcsghlYqjuyP6rN1OSPq4WQ4T7e1Wapt4qegGqRwYypDp7SQlo-oiPQzuonzYkQlWrYK7dfoRFMQ
Goodness, what a difference! And that was before a housing development sprung up, adjacent to Marchwood old station. Many thanks for sharing this fabulous view.

The home bracket in the distance, looks far more presentable than it did in my post #20...

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Points failure in the Clapham Junction area, disrupted many services - including empty stock for today's excursion from Horsham to Bath and Bristol.
Running two and a quarter hours behind its booked path, B1 "Mayflower" accelerates hard (and with fabulous acoustics) toward Farlington Junction.
The passing SWR service was hidden as best as possible...

Attachments

• 61306_Bedhampton_.jpg
    61306_Bedhampton_.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member

Emsworth's dedicated enthusiasts record the evening return of the excursion seen on post #117.

Attachments

• Emsworth_enthusiasts.jpg
    Emsworth_enthusiasts.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 13
  • Emsworth_photographers_.jpg
    Emsworth_photographers_.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 5