• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco-hauled resurgence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Just out of interest, why is this such a big deal? I'm not trying to be obtuse or rude or anything, it's interesting to understand the emotional attachment people have to different parts of the railway.
To be fair moving the noisy bit well away from the passengers does make for a quieter and less vibratory journey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
To be fair moving the noisy bit well away from the passengers does make for a quieter and less vibratory journey.
While at the same time, the most popular locomotives are the one that make the most noise?

dooton

he one loco hauled service that has lasted beyond the short term has been the Chiltern 67s, which are still clogging up the Marylebone air some years later. But their polluting days may soon be over as government cutbacks “encourage” Chiltern to ditch their non-standard stock
I think we need to ditch the narrative that the 68's are somehow more polluting than the 165/168's. 68's have modern cat engines whereas the 165's/168s have engines from the 90's. Yes they are loud, but they certainly do not produce more particulates than an equivalent 6 car 168.

Suraggu

I hope Chiltern don't get rid of their loco hauled services, I find them very good to travel on.
They will be replaced by 2025 unless that is pushed back subject to fleet cascades etc.

I think we need to ditch the narrative that the 68's are somehow more polluting than the 165/168's. 68's have modern cat engines whereas the 165's/168s have engines from the 90's. Yes they are loud, but they certainly do not produce more particulates than an equivalent 6 car 168.
The problem is this is the line being peddled by the DfT and the TOC when in actual fact its all to do with the residents of Marylebone complaining to the council about the noise.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There won't be any loco haulage on HS2.
I think the fastest loco-hauled high speed stock is the ÖBB RailJet in its various forms, with a Siemens Taurus loco on the front/back.
They run up to 230km/h which fits with the HSLs in Austria and beyond, and can run in pairs.
ČD also owns some similar sets which interwork with the ÖBB ones on the Prague-Brno-Vienna-Graz axis.

Class15

On Moderation
I think the fastest loco-hauled high speed stock is the ÖBB RailJet in its various forms, with a Siemens Taurus loco on the front/back.
They run up to 230km/h which fits with the HSLs in Austria and beyond, and can run in pairs.
ČD also owns some similar sets which interwork with the ÖBB ones on the Prague-Brno-Vienna-Graz axis.
If there’s no loco haulage on HS2, where will the Caledonian sleeper go?

Halish Railway

Established Member
I believe that the carriages themselves are capable of 250kph/155mph running.

To add my take to the topic, I would have preferred it if the DfT went down the bi-mode power car/locomotive-hauled route when specifying what became the Class 800s and 801s, that would have provided a far more pleasant travelling experience than the multiple units we have now, although the DfT may still have selected the horrible Fainsa Sophias that we have come accustomed to.

adamedwards

If we had a rolling programme of electrification and had done Oxford, Bristol, Swansea, Hull, Harrogate, Lincoln and Middlesborough there would have been a reduction in bi modes with engines removed as not needed. Same is in theory planned if the wires ever reach Sheffield. (I'm assuming a single diesel would be left on each train as an emergency back up.)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

To add my take to the topic, I would have preferred it if the DfT went down the bi-mode power car/locomotive-hauled route when specifying what became the Class 800s and 801s, that would have provided a far more pleasant travelling experience than the multiple units we have now, although the DfT may still have selected the horrible Fainsa Sophias that we have come accustomed to.

Probably would. After all TPE's LH Mk5s have them.

On Moderation
Siemens quote them as being 230km/h maximum. There's not much point in going faster as the highest speed locos to go with them are also 230km/h - currently these are the ES64U/ES64U2/ES64U4 (ÖBB Taurus, classes 1016/1116/1216). There is now a 230km/h Vectron variant available to go with the stock: ČD being the launch customer with an order for 50.

william.martin

On Moderation
I'm not sure it's quite that- or else why would enthusiasts have been attracted to chasing locos and avoiding DMUs when the former were commonplace prior to the 90s?

Because not all of us were alive in the 90's...

4BEP

Just one Taurus, the driving coach, steurwagen, at the other end is an unpowered carriage with a driving cab. Impressive performance though. ÖBB is also running NightJets at up to 200kph.

59CosG95

Established Member
Just one Taurus, the driving coach, steurwagen, at the other end is an unpowered carriage with a driving cab. Impressive performance though. ÖBB is also running NightJets at up to 200kph.
The Railjet formations often run as a coupled pair - although it's usually arranged "coaches, loco, coaches, loco".
But can you imagine TPE doing a "Nova 3" sandwich with the DTs in the middle and the 68s on the ends?

4BEP

The Railjet formations often run as a coupled pair - although it's usually arranged "coaches, loco, coaches, loco".
But can you imagine TPE doing a "Nova 3" sandwich with the DTs in the middle and the 68s on the ends?
The sight of a pair RailJets coupled, 18 Viaggio cars and two Taurus' , 17200 hp at 230 kmh is really something.

Bryson

I was surprised by this when catching the railjet from Salzburg to Vienna a few weeks ago. The service was portion worked, once the two portions had joined the formation was:

Coaches : Loco : Loco : Coaches.

The PIS speed display showed 235 Kph a few times.

CE142

Used to happen with Cromptons and 4TCs on the Waterloo-Salibury turns, there was a booked turn in a morning which was 8TC with a 33/1 on each end, although occasionally on of the 4TCs would be the 'wrong way' round so it would be Crompton, 4TC, Crompton, 4TC.
Don't think it ever happened that both 33/1s where in the middle though!

Status
Not open for further replies.