• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

? - Loco hauled services in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

The passenger

Hello and good evening,

for long time I was looking around here in many threads, because I'm planning to cross the channel once more this year to see what's new on Britians tracks.

Preparing a small tour it'll be interesting, I've some questions about the actual haulage of trains in the UK.

Are there are major changes in loco hauled-service comparing to last year's timetable? The website www.thejunction.org.uk is well known for its diagrams, but is there anything else on the www for public use, where I can check diagrams? 'Today's Railways UK' published in one of their issues last year a comprehensive overview. Where I'm living, it's not very easy to get railway magazines from the UK, so it's nearly hopeless to use this survey to plan my tour once more this year, provided it'll be published.

As I've seen on the new timetables from National Express East Anglia from 23/05/10 this year there'll be once more through services from London Liverpool Street to Great Yarmouth v.v. on Saturdays up to 25/09/10. Are they hauled again by class 47 between Norwich and Great Yarmouth this year or is there something different on the board?

Last I've heard the diagrams of class 90 locos with DVT on London to Birmingham services are now withdrawn. Is the Friday afternoon only service from London to Preston the only loco hauled on the WCML at the moment? Are there any other loco hauled passenger services (excluding London to Norwich and ECML)?

Is there any chance at the moment to see a class 37 or class 56 on regular passanger duties without joining a (heritage) railtour?

Thank you in advance for your help. Perhaps my questions sound silly to some people here, but in my surrouding there's nobody, who is interested in British trains who I can ask.

Kind regards from the very south of Germany (Munich)
The passenger

Edit: For the benefit of those who find this topic through Google searches, Current diagrams (regularly updated) can be found on another topic. This topic is out of date.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Last I've heard the diagrams of class 90 locos with DVT on London to Birmingham services are now withdrawn. Is the Friday afternoon only service from London to Preston the only loco hauled on the WCML at the moment?
The Fridays only to Preston is the only one that is regularly booked to be a Class 90. If you're up here for more than a week it may be a good idea to position yourself so you have 2 opportunities to do it, in case it's a Pendolino on the day you allocate!

There's also the Arriva Trains Wales service from Holyhead-Cardiff (weekday mornings) and the return Cardiff-Holyhead (weekday evenings). FGW run some Class 67s, I believe this still runs Cardiff-Bristol-Taunton and back a couple of times. First Scotrail also run a Class 67 at peak times from Edinburgh round the 'Fife circle' via Dunfermline & Kirkcaldy back to Edinburgh.

All the sleepers (FGW London-Penzance & Scotrail London- various Scottish destinations) are also loco hauled.

I assume that through services to Great Yarmouth using 47s between Norwich and Great Yarmouth on Summer Saturdays will continue, if not someone will be along shortly to state otherwise I'm sure!

The Workington shuttles are due to end at the end of this month.

Enjoy your trip :)

You may wish to plan it around a railtour or two? When were you thinking of doing this roughly?

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
The Fridays only to Preston is the only one that is regularly booked to be a Class 90. If you're up here for more than a week it may be a good idea to position yourself so you have 2 opportunities to do it, in case it's a Pendolino on the day you allocate!

There's also the Arriva Trains Wales service from Holyhead-Cardiff (weekday mornings) and the return Cardiff-Holyhead (weekday evenings). FGW run some Class 67s, I believe this still runs Cardiff-Bristol-Taunton and back a couple of times. First Scotrail also run a Class 67 at peak times from Edinburgh round the 'Fife circle' via Dunfermline & Kirkcaldy back to Edinburgh.

All the sleepers (FGW London-Penzance & Scotrail London- various Scottish destinations) are also loco hauled.

I assume that through services to Great Yarmouth using 47s between Norwich and Great Yarmouth on Summer Saturdays will continue, if not someone will be along shortly to state otherwise I'm sure!

The Workington shuttles are due to end at the end of this month.

Enjoy your trip :)

You may wish to plan it around a railtour or two? When were you thinking of doing this roughly?

That turn is now 57s.

67s to a Bristol - Cardiff - Paignton - Cardiff - Taunton - Bristol

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Hello and good evening,

for long time I was looking around here in many threads, because I'm planning to cross the channel once more this year to see what's new on Britians tracks.

Preparing a small tour it'll be interesting, I've some questions about the actual haulage of trains in the UK.

Are there are major changes in loco hauled-service comparing to last year's timetable? The website www.thejunction.org.uk is well known for its diagrams, but is there anything else on the www for public use, where I can check diagrams? 'Today's Railways UK' published in one of their issues last year a comprehensive overview. Where I'm living, it's not very easy to get railway magazines from the UK, so it's nearly hopeless to use this survey to plan my tour once more this year, provided it'll be published.

As I've seen on the new timetables from National Express East Anglia from 23/05/10 this year there'll be once more through services from London Liverpool Street to Great Yarmouth v.v. on Saturdays up to 25/09/10. Are they hauled again by class 47 between Norwich and Great Yarmouth this year or is there something different on the board?

Last I've heard the diagrams of class 90 locos with DVT on London to Birmingham services are now withdrawn. Is the Friday afternoon only service from London to Preston the only loco hauled on the WCML at the moment? Are there any other loco hauled passenger services (excluding London to Norwich and ECML)?

Is there any chance at the moment to see a class 37 or class 56 on regular passanger duties without joining a (heritage) railtour?

Thank you in advance for your help. Perhaps my questions sound silly to some people here, but in my surrouding there's nobody, who is interested in British trains who I can ask.

Kind regards from the very south of Germany (Munich)
The passenger

You have class 67's used by WSMR from Marylebone to Wrexham, their timetable is at www.wrexhamandshropshire.co.uk they run 5 trains weekdays, 4 on a Saturday and 3 on a Sunday

Established Member
Quite abit of loco hauled stuff but traction wise its not so good
(just a quick basic list)

ECML 91s
NXEA 90s
VT 90 (FO)
FSR 67s
FGW 67s
2 FGW 57 services
FSR 90
ATW 57
NXEA (Drags) 47s
WSMR 67s

Theres talks about a new company that will use 31s

there are a few loco hauled services but its all 90s 57s and 67s, doubt 37s will work any passenger runs evn more doubtful 56s will (but we can only hope, never say never and all that jazz)

theres a better list on here: http://railtourinfo.co.uk/locohauled.html but it excludes the 90s 91s and HSTs, if you want something like 37s or 56s then you are in luck as there is a 56 tour to penzance on 26th June, and Spitfire railtours do lots of 37 tours

Drsatan

Established Member
Theres talks about a new company that will use 31s

I think you're referring to the Dartmoor Railway Company who've applied to NR and the ORR to operate open access services from Okehampton to Exeter St Davids. Services would be operated by 31s working in push-pull mode with ex-NR (and NXEA) Mk2 DBSOs.

oliverj8

Don't forget the HSTs run by EMT, GC, EC and XC :D or are they not classed as loco-hauled?

fgwrich

Established Member
I think you're referring to the Dartmoor Railway Company who've applied to NR and the ORR to operate open access services from Okehampton to Exeter St Davids. Services would be operated by 31s working in push-pull mode with ex-NR (and NXEA) Mk2 DBSOs.

DCR Definatly won't be using the DBSO's for sometime yet, so they will be starting off with TNT Peds / 31s...

One things for sure, they won't be using the NR DBSO's either...

Moodster020

If you dont mind heritage, there's a couple of tours EE20 or 37 & deltic 55 in the last weekend in may (29th 31st) Details here:

http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html

Vintage Loco hauled on service trains ended with the 37's on the scotland sleepers in 2006 really, so heritage tours are the only way now unfortunately.

CLASS 47 581

hello 2011 there is through services again from london to great yarmouth not sure if there using drs class 47s though i would also like to know if they are can anybody shed any light on it

junglejames

Established Member
hello 2011 there is through services again from london to great yarmouth not sure if there using drs class 47s though i would also like to know if they are can anybody shed any light on it

Well assuming they are normal Mk3 services, then its pretty certain they will be DRS 47s. Considering they already have a deal with DRS, they arent going to strike up a deal with someone else just for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.