• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Fleet (LSL) updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
55022 (D9000) was fitted with one of the fully overhauled power units today, the other unit is on the way I believe.

alexl92

Established Member
It clearly isn't a swap over as the yellow area is larger than the coupling hatch.

I rather suspect that someone has realised they've messed up with the new lights and that they aren't in fact compliant with the new standard - so they need a yellow panel.

I understand that this is the reason - for whatever reason they didn't actually qualify to run without yellow ends. I do agree with the poster who said it breaks up the monotony of the blue, but defo think it could have been better executed!

fgwrich

Established Member
I understand that this is the reason - for whatever reason they didn't actually qualify to run without yellow ends. I do agree with the poster who said it breaks up the monotony of the blue, but defo think it could have been better executed!
They certainly could - GC Mk1 or VTEC style bib would have worked a lot better, then just overlay the crest on top. But nothing will improve that ‘face’ until the oddly placed white mask is sorted out.

fgwrich

Established Member
So, after some considerable period of time spent parked outside in a rubbed down state, 142003 has entered the Arlington paintshop and will emerge in GMPTE Orange and Brown.

D6130

Established Member
Iirc a comment on You Tube said they had trouble getting water to the Boiler.
Thanks. If that were the case, they would have had to throw out the fire to prevent the boiler from exploding - as happened with 45231 between Gargrave and Hellifield about twelve years ago. (Its boiler didn't explode, but the crew had to throw out the fire to prevent it from happening).

jamieP

Thanks. If that were the case, they would have had to throw out the fire to prevent the boiler from exploding - as happened with 45231 between Gargrave and Hellifield about twelve years ago. (Its boiler didn't explode, but the crew had to throw out the fire to prevent it from happening).

Not always. Trouble getting water in might not mean they cant just its slow or temperamental so safer to park up and "shut down" then to continue.

fgwrich

Established Member
A more up to date photo of 142003:

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
Not always. Trouble getting water in might not mean they cant just its slow or temperamental so safer to park up and "shut down" then to continue.
I now have it on good authority the the crew had to throw out the fire of 46100 at Euxton Junction, after which the train was propelled into Preston station by 47 853.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
As I understand it, throwing out the fire is the safest course of action but technically the fusible plugs in the crown of the firebox, once the water uncovers them should melt and quell the firebox and release the pressure from the boiler. Obviously relying on that risks damage to the firebox anyway so paddling out the firebox is the best poilicy.