• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Fleet (LSL) updates

Nym

Established Member
They only have two 57/3s...

And no other 57/3, anywhere in the world, is fitted with Multi-Working.

And working a 57/0 with a "notionally equipped" 57/3 would have some not insignificant issues.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
Also as 20/3s are basically a "privatisation era" rebuild for DRS they can only authentically carry DRS or HNRC liveries. Also have moderrnised cabs, fuel tanks, indictor boxes etc etc. I guess the MU system would need changing from DRS connections to Blue star sockets on 302 and 305 had they chosen to use them with the 096 and 107.

20118 and 20132 match 20096 ands 20107 which LSL already have and can be retro repainted into anything LSL choose.

Yeah I realise the 57/3s are being repainted in inauthentic LSL black, but you get the gist !!
Hmm, they're a company that painted an HST in Nanking blue and called it a Midland Pullman, I don't think dedication to livery authenticity is really a priority for them!

3973EXL

Established Member
Reported on WNXX that LSL and HNRC are to swap over a couple of pairs of 20s, moves currently due to take place on Monday are LSLs 20302 & 20305 on 0916 0Z37 Crewe HS to Worksop Up Receptions and HNRCs 20118 & 20132 on 1330 0Z21 in the reverse direction

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Hmm, they're a company that painted an HST in Nanking blue and called it a Midland Pullman, I don't think dedication to livery authenticity is really a priority for them!
When they want to they will authentically recreate the livery down to the minutest detail but when they don't they won't. It isn't just the Midland Pullman that is in no way authentic. Carmine and cream Mk 3 sleepers, BR Green with small yellow warning panel 37/5s, etc. They do what they want, which is fair enough when they own them.

ExRes

Established Member
Can confirm 37521 took 20302 & 20305 up to Worksop with 37059 tagging along.

Gen sites showing 37521 back to Crewe with 20118, 20132 and 37703

* Update to that, the 20s and 703 were dropped at Barrow Hill with 521 continuing solo

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Yes that's what's been said 118 & 132 with 37703, just 37521 to Crewe, looks like LSL have been mugged by Harry ;)
Haha, I guess the stock moving the other way made it all the way to Worksop then? :D

Bertie the bus

Established Member
With lots of Carlisle United fans struggling for coaches for Wembley, I wonder if LSL could put on a special charter for the weekend
As I suspect neither the club nor supporters club have approached LSL and it is also very doubtful the WCML between Carlisle and Preston will be open at the required time on a Sunday for a 13:30 kick-off I think the answer is no.

ExRes

Established Member
Everything still at Barrow Hill, apparently an issue with 37521

This evenings WNXX update states that 20118, 20132 & 37703 were all intended to be dropped off at Barrow Hill, the 20s for exam work to be carried out, 37521 was always meant to be returning to Crewe solo, just a bit later now than intended

The_Train

Established Member
37059 has apparently formed part of this trade off and is planned to stay with HNRC now

The_Train

Established Member
Interesting, was that not recently purchased from DRS?
July time when it was switched from DRS to LSL. Saying that the 2x 20's they've moved on were only purchased a few months earlier than the 37

I've recently noticed that LSL have now got a BR Blue Mk1 Kitchen coach that has been formed in the 3 Peaks tour set that happened this week. Formed of Swallow Mk3s and the Mk2 Brake and the Mk1 Kitchen. Seems an odd livery choice considering it doesn't match any other coaching stock. I think this might have been one of the coaches gained via the steam dreams contract? Also does anyone know the rationale behind this repaint into BR Blue? Unless it's one that has been hired in from Riviera and transferred to LSL at Crewe by road.

fgwrich

Established Member
I've recently noticed that LSL have now got a BR Blue Mk1 Kitchen coach that has been formed in the 3 Peaks tour set that happened this week. Formed of Swallow Mk3s and the Mk2 Brake and the Mk1 Kitchen. Seems an odd livery choice considering it doesn't match any other coaching stock. I think this might have been one of the coaches gained via the steam dreams contract? Also does anyone know the rationale behind this repaint into BR Blue? Unless it's one that has been hired in from Riviera and transferred to LSL at Crewe by road.
No, it's an LSL vehicle - 1661 was previously painted in Maroon as part of the Steam Dreams rake. And yes, it does seem like a rather odd choice given the Saphos Mk1s are Carmine & Cream, Statesman Mk2s are Choc & Cream Pullman style and the Mk3s are Intercity and ScotRail.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Maybe LSL are putting together a blue and grey rake? Also, I'm not sure if Riviera have any Mark 1 stock left, it's been rumoured that they've sold their Mark 1s to WCRC.

m79900

A blue rake of mk1s with matching 47 on the front would look excellent, there’s too many maroon/blood and custard/chocolate and cream sets out there so this’d be a breath of fresh air.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Maybe LSL are putting together a blue and grey rake? Also, I'm not sure if Riviera have any Mark 1 stock left, it's been rumoured that they've sold their Mark 1s to WCRC.
It's not a rumour, they sold some to West Coast. They have still got some catering vehicles.

fgwrich

Established Member
It's not a rumour, they sold some to West Coast. They have still got some catering vehicles.
Indeed. The majority of the Mk1 fleet moved over a while ago, with some vehicles going into Pres. Only 3 Mk1 Kitchens remain with Riviera now, while the final stragglers at Burton are up for sale (1x RK 80041 mid rebuild, RMB 1813 and BCK 21269). The now ex Riv set has already seen some use including heading down to Weymouth last weekend behind the 40.

bnsf734

The BR Blue kitchen car 1661 would go nicely with 47712 and the Mark 3 push pull rake.

I can remember in the 1980s doing 47712 Glasgow to Aberdeen on a Scottish Rover Sunday run with a similar buffet car added to the Mark 3's next to the loco. As they used the carriage wiring for the push pull system they could do this quite simply. I seem to recall spending quite a big bit of the journey in the buffet drinking Maxpax coffee and enjoying the entertainment from 47712 with the windows open!!

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I seem to recall spending quite a big bit of the journey in the buffet drinking Maxpax coffee and enjoying the entertainment from 47712 with the windows open!!
Sitting in one of those moulded orange plastic seats and with the orange curtains flapping in the wind. I remember them on the Wolves - Eustons and sometimes chose the Mk1 restaurant car over the Mk2 coffins !! Happy days

12LDA28C

Established Member
The BR Blue kitchen car 1661 would go nicely with 47712 and the Mark 3 push pull rake.

Not really. They already have a Mark 3 buffet in the rake and wouldn't need another one, nor would it really fit with the ScotRail E-G DBSO rake aesthetic.

As they used the carriage wiring for the push pull system they could do this quite simply.

The LSL DBSO rake no longer uses the carriage lighting circuit for the push-pull system which now has its own bespoke hard-wired circuit, so any additional stock added to the rake would need to be so modified.

1661 was scrapped in 1980 (according to Longworth). Do you mean 1659?