• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Fleet (LSL) updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member

12LDA28C

Established Member
has anyone seen the LSL 37 repainted into scot-rail livery? i think it's a bit of an odd choice although one that had a high chance of happening in real life.

I should think most people on this forum have, as a photo of it was posted on this very thread #566.

Not an odd choice at all if they wanted to use it to haul a slightly shortened DBSO rake.

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Another 37/4 in 'special' colours makes a change from the BR blues and greens!

Hmm got to say im not a fan of the clown paint on 37409 atm... maybe it'll grow on me mind, it would be nice if the could re-do the XP 64 on 47853, but only if the put the headcode panels back in a la 47004 by far the best retro job ever imo

Nym

Established Member
Have you seen it recently? Care to elaborate? It had a top end overhaul in 2020 which involved removal of cylinders, liners and so on.

Assume you mean who operated it, which was DRS.
There’s more to a locomotive than the prime mover…(!)

Also, 2023

12LDA28C

Established Member
Hmm got to say im not a fan of the clown paint on 37409 atm... maybe it'll grow on me mind, it would be nice if the could re-do the XP 64 on 47853, but only if the put the headcode panels back in a la 47004 by far the best retro job ever imo

There was a plan a few years ago to paint 47853 into large logo blue and properly renumber it back to 47614 but Covid happened and since then they've been rather busy. Perhaps it might happen whilst the power unit swap with 47501 takes place.

alexl92

Established Member
I absolutely love that LSL are going a bit ‘out there’. There are enough 37s in authentic liveries. The 57 in black looks amazing and they’ve apparently upset some people because 60532 Blue Peter will return in… Blue. Keep going, I say.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Spencer Flack used to display a bright red Spitfire Mk XIV, G-FIRE, at air shows in the 1970s. When challenged on the red scheme, his alleged retort was when you own a Spitfire, you can paint it any colour you want.

LSL are getting interesting trains 'out there' on mainline rail tours, presumably at considerable cost. Anything other than drab maroon Duffs and Tractors is most welcome. 37409 could have been off to Harry Needles, either to be scrapped (bad!) or repainted bright orange (worse!).

D365

Veteran Member
37409 could have been off to Harry Needles, either to be scrapped (bad!) or repainted bright orange (worse!).
Not sure what you mean? HNRC has purchased 37405 from DRS, along with several 37/6s. Whereas LSL has recently purchased 37409 and several 37/0s.

Spaceship323

Light loco move from Eastleigh to Crewe tomorrow, any ideas what it could be? Headcodes 0Z97.
The two Green 20's went down this morning with some coaches so probably those?

Rhysdabeast

Established Member

The_Train

Established Member
Light loco move from Eastleigh to Crewe tomorrow, any ideas what it could be? Headcodes 0Z97.
If the railway gods could make this run around 3 hours late, that would be perfect :D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've seen this photo flying around this morning - 37409 is looking very Scottish!

Only just seen this. I quite like it but I wonder if it would look better with yellow cab sides like the 47/7s?

They can do what they want obviously! :lol:

alexl92

Established Member
I've just seen on facebook a suggestion that LSL have also bought 401 and 402. It was my understanding that at least one of those has been bought by another group. A video was posted of the pair of them running on the mainline today or yesterday, so 401 must have had some form of overhaul/exam too as its engine hours had run out.

The_Train

Established Member
I've just seen on facebook a suggestion that LSL have also bought 401 and 402. It was my understanding that at least one of those has been bought by another group. A video was posted of the pair of them running on the mainline today or yesterday, so 401 must have had some form of overhaul/exam too as its engine hours had run out.
My understanding is that 37402 is now owned by Andania Engineering, who also own 40013 which is operated by LSL so presumably the same thing is happening with 37402

D365

Veteran Member
Just to clarify that you are referring to Class 37s rather than the previously discussed 47s?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Only just seen this. I quite like it but I wonder if it would look better with yellow cab sides like the 47/7s?

They can do what they want obviously! :lol:
I think they were right to apply the livery as essentially a 'blue stripe' adaptation of the Mainline scheme. Yellow lower cab sides would look quite incongruous on a loco with a long nose.