• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge reconstruction works

Status
Not open for further replies.

physics34

Established Member
It has, to the apparent confusion of almost everybody who used it! The nearest ones, according to the McDonald's website, are Fleet Street, Waterloo, London Wall and Liverpool St, none of which are especially convenient. At all.

Yep, bizarrely closed down to make way for some Guys Hospital gallery or museum apparently. Odd cos that mcdonalds must of made a packet!

The station is going to have a ' Leon'. Never been in one myself.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barn

Established Member
Yep, bizarrely closed down to make way for some Guys Hospital gallery or museum apparently. Odd cos that mcdonalds must of made a packet!

The station is going to have a ' Leon'. Never been in one myself.

With the loss of that McDonald's and the one at Cannon Street my late night journeys home have become far healthier!

ijmad

Established Member
Given Charing X trains are once again stopping, surely we can grab a Burger King there or a McD's at Waterloo for Waterloo East and change.

Trackman

Established Member
I've never had time to sample burger bars at LB!
There is a Leon at Euston, coffee bar I think.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
With the loss of that McDonald's and the one at Cannon Street my late night journeys home have become far healthier!

My breakfasts have become healthier! Well non-existent!

As regards Leon it does fast food arguably a better quality but more expensive!

bicbasher

Established Member
Given Charing X trains are once again stopping, surely we can grab a Burger King there or a McD's at Waterloo for Waterloo East and change.

There's also a McDonalds less than a minute away from Charing Cross on The Strand unless that's also closed? :D

Trackman

Established Member
Never had time to eat or drink at LB. When things go pear shaped on the railway I usually head off to one of the local pubs that do food. (And plot my route home!).

Deety

I've been joking with my colleague that they were building the biggest Burger King in Europe behind the hoardings, so this is terrible news. :(

ijmad

Established Member
One of the remaining empty retail units has now been plastered with Boots branding. So apart from that we have WHSmith, Oliver Bonas, Leon, Boots, Costa, and a small independent retailer selling coffee and donuts in the concourse, most of which are yet to open. This is real 'destination' shopping... Yeah.

FOH

One of the remaining empty retail units has now been plastered with Boots branding. So apart from that we have WHSmith, Oliver Bonas, Leon, Boots, Costa, and a small independent retailer selling coffee and donuts in the concourse, most of which are yet to open. This is real 'destination' shopping... Yeah.

With the mess this evening, Southern did their very best to allow shoppers plenty of time.

I do agree about the shops ... yawn

Chrisgr31

Established Member

Arent there due to me more shops in the area where the pedestrian route currently zig zags from the underground station? There there are the shops under the News International building as well.

redbutton

Half the concourse is hidden behind hoardings and won't be revealed until the rest of the station opens in 2018. There are many more retail units yet to be seen.

I was told by one of the project managers that leasing the retail space to luxury brands was a main source of funding for the overall project. The impression he gave was that it'll be like the departure areas at Heathrow.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Half the concourse is hidden behind hoardings and won't be revealed until the rest of the station opens in 2018. There are many more retail units yet to be seen.

I was told by one of the project managers that leasing the retail space to luxury brands was a main source of funding for the overall project. The impression he gave was that it'll be like the departure areas at Heathrow.

Future retail revenues are a source of income, which helped to justify the investment. The funding for the rebuilding comes from Government though.

ijmad

Established Member

Yeah, fair point. Also I guess the units behind the ticket gates will attract a different kind of shop to those in the Western arcade which are much bigger and open to the public.

Suppose we'll see when the rest of it opens...

Deepgreen

Established Member

Wonderful - complete with estimated walking times to the platforms?!

redbutton

Wonderful - complete with estimated walking times to the platforms?!

Well the train crews are allowed five minutes to make connections between platforms or get from the crew room (near the ticket office) to any platform. On paper at least, that's how long it takes at all times and all conditions. I don't think there's a need for dynamic displays?

But I think what the manager I spoke to was describing was the concept of a shopping mall with transport attached, like LHR (maybe Gatwick post-refurbishment is a better example) or Berlin Hauptbahnhof. Though it sounds as if Bald Rick is much more involved with the project than I and according to him the finished station may not be quite as shopping-focused as I was led to believe.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Well the train crews are allowed five minutes to make connections between platforms or get from the crew room (near the ticket office) to any platform. On paper at least, that's how long it takes at all times and all conditions. I don't think there's a need for dynamic displays?

As it so happens I do find walking around the station to be surprisingly quick, but I still find 5 minutes to be pushing it to walk to the right place on the platform when it's even slightly busy. 7-8mins would be better.

FOH

I still don't get the split between upper and lower concourses in terms of passenger information. I could hear the bloke doing the usual cancellation and apology announcements though not clearly enough to understand him - wasn't on any loud speakers downstairs. Do Southern and Thameslink just abandon their passengers on the lower concourse or is this part of the design?

QueensCurve

Established Member
I still don't get the split between upper and lower concourses in terms of passenger information. I could hear the bloke doing the usual cancellation and apology announcements though not clearly enough to understand him - wasn't on any loud speakers downstairs. Do Southern and Thameslink just abandon their passengers on the lower concourse or is this part of the design?

Could there be a difficulty with announcements potentially reaching different places out of phase and becoming inaudible? I believe some cinemas had to lose whole rows of seats due to this.

FOH

Numerous puddles on the floor of the new lower concourse this morning with a bloke in full orange hi-vis mopping up. An auspicious start for our new 'world class' station.

Stew998

I'm often struck by the congestion on the upper concourse, it's a pity there aren't any "no waiting" corridors across the concourse so that passengers waiting for a platform don't form an obstacle course for people moving to the gateline.

hwl

Established Member
Piling has been completed and the penultimate concrete column (for track 1/2 viaduct) is about to be cast.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Piling has been completed and the penultimate concrete column (for track 1/2 viaduct) is about to be cast.

Just saw a youtube timelapse video from 15th Nov which illustrates your latest info? https://youtu.be/la5nla8VWT0

You can see the second half of the column formwork being craned into position at about 2m 05s in. Work proceeding apace on the last column's pile cap just behind the tower crane in the left of the picture.

Last edited:

FOH

Numerous puddles on the floor of the new lower concourse this morning with a bloke in full orange hi-vis mopping up. An auspicious start for our new 'world class' station.

The lower concourse looked a sorry state this morning. I reckon about 25% of it was barriered off and ticket barriers covered with tarpaulin to protect them from cascading water from the roof.

ijmad

Established Member
I noticed they'd changed the route through the Western Arcade when I went through earlier. It now snakes behind some of the future barrel vault shops. Could have been a couple of weeks, I don't go from the tube to trains very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.