• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge reconstruction works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey C

Established Member
Careful you might cut yourself on all that edge :E

Two more shops look to be opening shortly in the Western Arcade, a Pandora and a Scribbler, next to each other, which seems like an odd juxtaposition. There was also one other with a name that had appeared over an arch, but i didn't catch it properly.

Certainly there seems to be a good trade going on in most of the shops, even at odd times of the day. Perhaps Network Rail's vision of creating a shopping destination is actually succeeding despite our doubts a couple of years ago in this very thread!

GTR doing their best to encourage footfall by cancelling trains, thus encouraging bored passengers to go shopping to fill the time :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Greggs has opened. Time to close the thread? :E

I never thought I would see a) this happen, and b) crowd control at a Greggs at 8.30am, complete with security staff and Tensabarriers :lol:

About that...

I had a Gregg's bacon roll from the one near my flat this morning since I'm out of cereal and don't want to just buy some just for two days; and it cost me like £2.80 all in with a large orange juice. When I was walking past the London Bridge Greggs I had a brief look in and it looked like they were charging £2.40 for a Bacon and Sausage roll by itself which is a fairly large markup although still cheaper than anything else on site.

They charged me £3 for a latte and a sausage & omelette roll the other day, which by London standards is not unreasonable, although that may have had a slight staff discount due to it being a Day Of Much Lanyard Wearing (I didn’t get a receipt so who knows!).

Anywhere warm to wait in yet?

Pret is probably still cooling off after the summer overheating disaster...

Mikey C

Established Member
Anyone know what they're doing with the concourse toilets, as they're currently closed at weekends (and after 10pm weekdays) for the whole of February and March, which sounds like a major rebuild. Hopefully they'll be enlarged, as they're clearly too small

Worth bearing in mind if you were relying on using them before a late night or weekend journey!

andrewkeith5

Anyone know what they're doing with the concourse toilets, as they're currently closed at weekends (and after 10pm weekdays) for the whole of February and March, which sounds like a major rebuild. Hopefully they'll be enlarged, as they're clearly too small

Worth bearing in mind if you were relying on using them before a late night or weekend journey!

From what I can tell, then dump more water all over the floor than they take away in the waste pipes, so hopefully they'll at least install them properly at the same time as enlarging them!

Mikey C

Established Member

Not obvious what the changes to the toilets were, as they look much the same to me

Not having used the station for a couple of weeks, I was surprised that the seating at concourse level has been replaced and enlarged with stylish looking wooden seats, increasing the numbers from 150 to 400

https://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/9877
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2019/03/26/loads-of-seats-coming-to-railway-stations/

Not seen pictures of the new seating in place, but these were the old ones (not my photo).

27720688809_496509b9b5_b.jpg

bicbasher

Established Member
The only wooden seating I saw when I was at LBG on Saturday was at the Southern end of the concourse downstairs inside the ticketed area.

Mikey C

Established Member
The only wooden seating I saw when I was at LBG on Saturday was at the Southern end of the concourse downstairs inside the ticketed area.

It looked like all the seating under the through platforms had been installed

ijmad

Established Member
Yeah, I saw the wood seats as well. Apparently Network Rail are spending more on seats, they're curved versions of the model you see in the image in my link.

I also noticed the various cherry pickers and mobile platforms have finally gone from the corner of the concourse they've been sat in for the last 14 months. Does this finally mean they've finished fiddling with the wooden cladding on the bottom of the bridge decks?

There's still some finishing touches to do upstairs.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
That's definitely great news.

Slightly concerned though that they had to do a passenger survey to find out that lots of people like to sit down when they are waiting for trains. Is that not totally obvious to anyone who ever travels by train?

(Maybe they could do a similar survey to find out what people think of trains with almost no padding on their seats. And TfL could do one to find out what people think of trains with entirely longitudinal, and no transverse, seats ;) )

hwl

Established Member
That's definitely great news.

Slightly concerned though that they had to do a passenger survey to find out that lots of people like to sit down when they are waiting for trains. Is that not totally obvious to anyone who ever travels by train?

(Maybe they could do a similar survey to find out what people think of trains with almost no padding on their seats. And TfL could do one to find out what people think of trains with entirely longitudinal, and no transverse, seats ;) )

And then a follow up survey investigate why more people were getting left behind as there was less standing room...

387star

On Moderation
Finally the undercroft area has been finished off around marks and Spencer with just a few shops to open and the immediate entrance towards the underground to finish
On the now completed ornamental facades I noticed speakers for music or announcements I wonder?

Sadly the walkway which contains the recently opened art piece section which crosses the other way through the station has part been closed off despite being previously opened

I forget the names of these pedestrian walkways

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
Regarding the new tl services it is no surprise the traditional end points are busiest so that's London bridge southbound and pancras northbound
London bridge is an incredibly busy station

ijmad

Established Member
Sadly the walkway which contains the recently opened art piece section which crosses the other way through the station has part been closed off despite being previously opened

I forget the names of these pedestrian walkways

Stainer Street is the one with the art. Perhaps more damp proofing problems?

Regarding the new tl services it is no surprise the traditional end points are busiest so that's London bridge southbound and pancras northbound
London bridge is an incredibly busy station

I often go from Charing Cross to London Bridge and then change to Southern on the way home, and have noticed the passenger volume going up to P6/7 is quite incredible in the evening peak. I recall there were claims that P4/5/6 in the old station were some of the busiest in the country. Certainly their replacements (6, 7 8, and 9) must be high on the list again in the peak directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.