• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge reconstruction works

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
Yes at long last all hoardings removed in the underground passageways. Loads more space in the passageway that cuts through Stainer Street towards the tube

Greggs remains unopened and fenced off

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ianBR

Having watched a team of about 12 people work on the concrete paving outside the shard entrance for nearly 6 months now I’m convinced this is something of a scam

I’ve seen bigger areas than this be paved in a week and have no idea what these people are doing all day long

Perhaps they are relaying the same stones multiple times as there doesn’t seem to be any other possible explanation as to how little could change on a week to week basis - the whole area has looked 95% done for at least 3 months now.

387star

On Moderation
Having watched a team of about 12 people work on the concrete paving outside the shard entrance for nearly 6 months now I’m convinced this is something of a scam

I’ve seen bigger areas than this be paved in a week and have no idea what these people are doing all day long

Perhaps they are relaying the same stones multiple times as there doesn’t seem to be any other possible explanation as to how little could change on a week to week basis - the whole area has looked 95% done for at least 3 months now.
What about Finsbury park
Just what is going on in that tunnel?
Not a nice station environment. The subway has that unpleasant underground smell blowing out of the air vents

ijmad

Established Member

I'm wondering if the earlier rain water ingress in to the Western arcade have led to complex drainage requirements under the paving, given that area is right above the passage. Might explain why it's all moving so slowly? I don't know, but that's my working theory.

ijmad

Established Member
They've taken down the wooden hoardings around the newly paved area and replaced them with metal fencing. Getting closer...

MatthewRead

On Moderation
I had real trouble finding the underground station today it use to be at the end of the concourse and via a passage but now you have to go outside into the streets took me ages to find it I hate what they've done to the station the haven't improved it they've just made it harder to navigate!

ijmad

Established Member
I had real trouble finding the underground station today it use to be at the end of the concourse and via a passage but now you have to go outside into the streets took me ages to find it I hate what they've done to the station the haven't improved it they've just made it harder to navigate!

Assuming you arrived on a Southern service to a terminal platform, the best way to the tube is to go downstairs from the platform level, via the escalators/stairs/lifts at each platform. They are about four carriages back from the front of the train. If you are in the front couple of carriages, yes, the easiest way is to proceed on out through the front doors and go down in to the Shard arcade.

ijmad

Established Member
They are the same sort of next train boards used throughout the whole Thameslink core.

ijmad

Established Member
The paving is done! I repeat, the paving is done!

Hoardings are gone, replaced wth a much smaller area of metal fences protecting the new shop fronts.

N/100

First of the new Tooley Street outlets open.

Starbucks.

Like the area needs another one.

KingJ

All of the retail outlets in the Western Arcade that have yet to open now have had a "Your first stop for Christmas" sticker put over the original Opening December 2018 ones. They do seem to be gradually getting there, and I think there are now more open than not-open, but certainly sounds like they're no longer confident in all being open by the end of the year!

ijmad

Established Member
...and Greggs is still not open.

Wondering what will come first, the complete delivery of the Thameslink May timetable, or the complete delivery of London Bridge station?

GW43125

Established Member
All of the retail outlets in the Western Arcade that have yet to open now have had a "Your first stop for Christmas" sticker put over the original Opening December 2018 ones. They do seem to be gradually getting there, and I think there are now more open than not-open, but certainly sounds like they're no longer confident in all being open by the end of the year!

Your first stop for Christmas which year? ;)

N/100

On a positive note, I arrived during Friday's deluge and there was only one obvious leak!

samuelmorris

Established Member
...and Greggs is still not open.

Wondering what will come first, the complete delivery of the Thameslink May timetable, or the complete delivery of London Bridge station?
The station because I'm confident that at least the station will, eventually, be finished :)

FOH

Greggs has opened. Time to close the thread? :E
Costa Pronto on the low level platforms concourse looks nearly ready to open. The guys outside though are continuing at their snails pace speed

ijmad

Established Member
Costa Pronto on the low level platforms concourse looks nearly ready to open. The guys outside though are continuing at their snails pace speed

Bet it'll be done by Christmas. Just not saying which Christmas.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
Greggs has opened. Time to close the thread? :E

Has it really? That's great news, end of rip off prices in stations hopefully. I heard the delay was because there is an access panel in the ceiling to allow Network Rail access to under the viaduct above, and presumably cabling etc and someone forgot to tell Greggs and more importantly their shopfitters it was there!

mmh

Established Member
The station because I'm confident that at least the station will, eventually, be finished :)

The station will never be finished, because unfortunately they allowed bits of it that weren't finished to be considered finished.

ijmad

Established Member
Has it really? That's great news, end of rip off prices in stations hopefully. I heard the delay was because there is an access panel in the ceiling to allow Network Rail access to under the viaduct above, and presumably cabling etc and someone forgot to tell Greggs and more importantly their shopfitters it was there!

just remember, they built this station on Sausage Rolls.

IceAgeComing

About that...

I had a Gregg's bacon roll from the one near my flat this morning since I'm out of cereal and don't want to just buy some just for two days; and it cost me like £2.80 all in with a large orange juice. When I was walking past the London Bridge Greggs I had a brief look in and it looked like they were charging £2.40 for a Bacon and Sausage roll by itself which is a fairly large markup although still cheaper than anything else on site.

387star

On Moderation
Hoardings on high level concourse by gateline removed and hoarded works area removed
New costa open
Underground entrance hoarding removed

Looking very complete at long last

ijmad

Established Member
Do they do the vegan sausage roll though?

Careful you might cut yourself on all that edge :E

Two more shops look to be opening shortly in the Western Arcade, a Pandora and a Scribbler, next to each other, which seems like an odd juxtaposition. There was also one other with a name that had appeared over an arch, but i didn't catch it properly.

Certainly there seems to be a good trade going on in most of the shops, even at odd times of the day. Perhaps Network Rail's vision of creating a shopping destination is actually succeeding despite our doubts a couple of years ago in this very thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.