• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Bridge reconstruction works

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilm

So Thameslink Programme publish this walking routes diagram for how the station will be arranged after the bank holiday. Interesting details I noticed are:

• Western Concourse open - but in peak only
  • Pedestrianised Stainer Street open with exit to Tooley St - but AM peak only
  • Hoarding line for next phases by escalators for P6/7
I guess because they are still doing works?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ijmad

Established Member
I guess because they are still doing works?

Yes indeed - Hence why I was surprised to see Stainer Street open all the way through the works at all!

Plus the original plans didn't show the Western Arcade being open in August, so that's a bonus too, although it sounds like there's lots of work to do on creating the new retail spaces in the barrel vaults to be done yet.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
The western arcade will be narrowed for a far while after opening till they complete the works in the area (not just shops but new concrete quadripartite arches where the escalator bank was for example).

Having Stainer open (am peak only) and arcade (peak only) will allow the arcade usable width to be narrower and work on the arcade to be completed sooner.

physics34

Established Member
im wanting to know which retailers are moving in. Just hope there is a costa or somehting instead of a Neros!

bicbasher

Established Member
Will I be able to access the tube station using the escalators from the Southern platforms or will I have to continue walking through the Southern concourse, along London Bridge Walk to the stairs that lead to the Jubilee gateline?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Will I be able to access the tube station using the escalators from the Southern platforms or will I have to continue walking through the Southern concourse, along London Bridge Walk to the stairs that lead to the Jubilee gateline?

Yes you will, go down the escalators on the platform, into the concourse, through the Western arcade.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That's genuinely looking really impressive.

It's even looking better than the CGI impressions, which is rare.

And it's not finished yet...

I was supposed to go this test event with the family, however it turned out not to fit the family schedule. Shame. Good turn out though, a lot of familiar faces.

Last edited:

physics34

Established Member
That's genuinely looking really impressive.

It's even looking better than the CGI impressions, which is rare.

I've been lucky to see the work progress as we have our lunch breaks down there....

It's such a damn sight better than it was. I think the passengers will be highly pleased.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You will be lucky if you get a Star*ucks.

Ha. Think a Costa coffee has been confirmed

physics34

Established Member
I always liked the little coffee place in the Western Arcade, I wonder if they're coming back.

I don't know what you mean.by the western arcade... but if you mean AMT they are definitely not coming back

och aye

Not all the tenants evicted from London Bridge's arches were particularity happy about being chucked out:

[youtube]Zbac-_-VKWA[/youtube]

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not all the tenants evicted from London Bridge's arches were particularity happy about being chucked out:

[youtube]Zbac-_-VKWA[/youtube]
It's a shame they couldn't move elsewhere so the staff didn't all have to be sacked.

Of course if Network Rail really did say one thing and do another, that isn't great either. If only they had been able to get Network Rail's view point then this news item stood a slightly greater change of being more balanced. Of course only silent, given its the Cable Club and it's Cable TV.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ironside

It's a shame they couldn't move elsewhere so the staff didn't all have to be sacked.

Of course if Network Rail really did say one thing and do another, that isn't great either. If only they had been able to get Network Rail's view point then this news item stood a slightly greater change of being more balanced. Of course only silent, given its the Cable Club and it's Cable TV.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I imagine that getting a balanced interview from an agrieved clubs own tv crew would be rather difficult. It's probably best in those circumstances not to take the interview as anything you say may be edited and used against you.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I imagine that getting a balanced interview from an agrieved clubs own tv crew would be rather difficult. It's probably best in those circumstances not to take the interview as anything you say may be edited and used against you.

Wasn't this 'issue' analysed to death when it happened? Closing a club is hardly a significant problem in the overall scheme of things. The BBC reckon they had 2 years notice: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22408279

Last edited:

mr_jarhead

Whatever happened to their feature length documentary?

That video is the latest thing on their YouTube page, their Facebook hasn't been updated for over three years and it's the same with their Twitter feed.

avvy

Is the majority of the new concourse opening on the 28th or the 29th? Different twitter accounts appear to be saying different things :roll:

FOH

They've removed 6 of the 8 ticket machines today, I predict with nice weather it's going to be queuetastic this weekend

hwl

Established Member
They've removed 6 of the 8 ticket machines today, I predict with nice weather it's going to be queuetastic this weekend

Well as there will be far fewer trains running it might not be a huge issue...

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is the majority of the new concourse opening on the 28th or the 29th? Different twitter accounts appear to be saying different things :roll:

For start of service Monday morning. This Monday!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

There will be enough open to give access to all the platforms that will be in use from next week, namely P7 - P15, with the P7 lifts and escalators being in the centre line of the P6/7 island. So logically that would be about two thirds of the length of the overall concourse that will have to be be in use, as measured from the St Thomas Street side.

So yes, it will be a significant majority of the eventual space.

kentman

I assume the long Cannon St closure is due to the re-control to Three Bridges ROC, apart from the track slew. Will the Blackfriars 'backdoor' still be in place, as there does not seem to be any ECS that way in the new timetable? Also a bit surprised to see the Cannon St sidings still in place on the updated Opentrainstimes map http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/tl-lbg-1. I've never seen anything use them, apart from a couple of rail mounted excavators in the last day or so!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I assume the long Cannon St closure is due to the re-control to Three Bridges ROC, apart from the track slew. Will the Blackfriars 'backdoor' still be in place, as there does not seem to be any ECS that way in the new timetable? Also a bit surprised to see the Cannon St sidings still in place on the updated Opentrainstimes map http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/tl-lbg-1. I've never seen anything use them, apart from a couple of rail mounted excavators in the last day or so!

You assume correctly.

carriageline

Established Member

There's also whisperings that the Met Reversible will be shut "early" so work can begin on that sooner. First trains move under control of the Cannon Street workstation next Friday. Sadly another panel closed today at London Bridge :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

physics34

Established Member
i believe the concourse is open today.......

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow afternoon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.